Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

every monday morning must be ruined to provide incentive for the glorious revolution which is soon at hand, comrades

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTbashsKic

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Today should get better once we see photos of Abbott and Hockey sitting together in the back bench.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senor Tron posted:

Today should get better once we see photos of Abbott and Hockey sitting together in the back bench.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

Abbott's seat is next to Laming, who was one of the organisers of the first spill attempt against him, and his new office is next to bronwyn bishop :laffo:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also this is directly outside Hockey's new office.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey Auspol, did anyone order more shitheads?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/10/12/derryn-hinch-forms-his-own-political-party

Because we got more shitheads.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know why he's bothering to run outside of Victoria.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Zenithe posted:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/10/12/derryn-hinch-forms-his-own-political-party

That article is uhh... short. Apparently his new party is primarily running on an anti-pedophile platform.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

That article is uhh... short. Apparently his new party is primarily running on an anti-pedophile platform.

It was that or news corpse.

actually, a SMH article is there now

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...011-gk6krz.html

e. Holy poo poo, I had no idea he was in his 70s

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
But... our judicial system is like one of the best things in this country... :cripes:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

But... our judicial system is like one of the best things in this country... :cripes:

Actually it is poo poo because it doesn't summarily execute suspected pedophiles

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

It keeps trying to put Hinch in gaol, so it's doing something right.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Summary execution is probably not a policy we want to bring in (unless it's of shitposters).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

oTHi posted:

Summary execution is probably not a policy we want to bring in (unless it's of shitposters).

Tell that to Hinch

He could run a split brand, campaign as the Justice Party in metro areas, and the Just Ice Party in regional areas

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Some Salvation Army officers may have perceived children in institutional homes as "evil" and believed it was their duty to save them from their "vicious and criminal tendencies", a royal commission has heard.

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse is examining four children's homes in Western Australia, South Australia and Victoria run by the Salvation Army

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
UNSW has a security warning for the Kensington campus after a threat made by an anon 4channer. Pedestrian, SMH

Not believed to be genuine, but is being treated seriously

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Holy poo poo, Sam de Brito was found dead today. He was only 46.

He often had not-poo poo opinions I found.

:(

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/author-and-fairfax-columinist-sam-de-brito-found-dead-in-north-bondi-home-20151012-gk6qgy.html

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Freudian Slip posted:

Holy poo poo, Sam de Brito was found dead today. He was only 46.

He often had not-poo poo opinions I found.

:(

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/author-and-fairfax-columinist-sam-de-brito-found-dead-in-north-bondi-home-20151012-gk6qgy.html

gently caress. You're a long time dead. Mind you, I found his column pretty milquetoast so :kheldragar:

In exciting news I've been invited as closing keynote speaker for a conference held by... it says here... "the International Educational Research Institute". I can't find them on google but they say the opening speaker is Simon Birmingham! It's good to finally be recognised for my research in the field of International Educational Research (or anything for that matter) such as

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody in labor is leaking against him trying to get him to leave?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Zenithe posted:

I had to look closely to see whether it was the Backburner

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Gonna go to a Fiona Patton meet'n greet a friend invited me to later on, but I can't think of much to ask. The civil liberty stuff is all fine and dandy as far as I can tell, and there doesn't seem to be much else to 'em to get into.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Liberal Russell Broadbent calls for end to 'unacceptable' detention of children

Liberal backbencher Russell Broadbent has thrown down the gauntlet to his own side of politics by labelling the indefinite detention of asylum seeker children “unacceptable”.

Broadbent told ABC Radio on Monday morning that public opinion has shifted on the indefinite detention of asylum seekers, warning that politicians must keep up.

“Long-term indefinite detention is not good enough in this country. It always comes to this; I knew it would come to this. It’s come to this again. The Australian people standing up and saying nup, not on. Not in our country,” he said.

“Indefinite detention is not acceptable, we’ve been through this before,” the backbencher said. “Women and children in detention behind razor wire in this country or locked away on an island is unacceptable.”

more:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/12/liberal-russell-broadbent-calls-for-end-to-unacceptable-detention-of-children

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes but why aren't these words coming from an opposition mp?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Broadbent's got a history of this; he crossed the floor against some of Howard's immigration stuff too.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Tarrifs! Tarrifs in the TPP! These are absolutely real and not at all bribes for letting horrific poo poo in and will definitely be delivered!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd has hit back at comments by one of his ex-colleagues that he was a "megalomaniac" who put Australia's safety in jeopardy.

The accusations were made by former environment minister Peter Garrett on Channel 7's Sunday Night program, in what was billed as Mr Garrett's first substantial interview since leaving politics two years ago.

The interview coincided with the release of his upcoming memoir Big Blue Sky on Wednesday.

In one passage of the book, read by interviewer Melissa Doyle, Mr Garrett claimed the safety of Australia was potentially threatened while Mr Rudd was leader.

"It's a big call, but I stand by it," Mr Garrett said, adding the former Labor prime minister treated people with "an enormous amount of contempt" and made "the business of the country almost ungovernable".

When pushed on what danger he feared Mr Rudd posed, Mr Garrett said the former PM was "unpredictable" and he didn't know what he "could or would do".

"I mean, even with [John] Howard you know where he stood," he said.

"I'm not a great fan of John Howard's, and he wouldn't be a great fan of mine, but that aspect of his prime ministership I sort of understand and respond to."

On Monday morning, a spokeswoman for Mr Rudd rubbished the claims, denying they had any substance.

"Peter Garrett is trying to sell a book. I have no idea what else he's doing these days," the spokeswoman told Fairfax Media.

"If Mr Garrett were serious about these accusations he would have made them five years ago. Not try to rewrite history now."

In his time as environment minister, Mr Garrett was not a member of the cabinet's National Security Committee, which formulates strategies to deal with Australia's security and focuses on other classified matters, and would not have been privy to its decisions.

In another passage from the book, Mr Garrett wrote that supporting Mr Rudd was "certainly the biggest" mistake he made in his political career.

"I've been particularly strong in this book about leadership and Rudd's leadership and I think it needed to be said," Mr Garrett said.

"I'm critical of him, that's true, very critical, but I think for good reason."

Mr Garrett stepped down from politics in 2013, when Julia Gillard was ousted as prime minister.

Both Mr Rudd and Mr Garrett last year appeared before the royal commission into the former Labor government's home insulation scheme in which four installers died. Mr Garrett had originally been in charge of the scheme, but after the deaths Mr Rudd replaced him with Greg Combet, saying the former ACTU secretary had better experience with workplace safety issues.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz3oK1z9KZP
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

So Garrett is on the record as preferring Howard to insane Rudd.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

Labor are so dead that the Liberals need to do their job for them.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anidav posted:

Anna Burke has spoken about this many times.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lid posted:

So Garrett is on the record as preferring Howard to insane Rudd.

Garrett should have stuck to singing. He was an idiot politician and way out of his depth. Doesn't mean he's wrong about Rudd though, and not to say Rudd's wrong saying he just wants to sell his book. Basically, a poo poo sandwich.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The same guy who said to a journo "we'll change it all once we get in" criticises someone for being inconsistent and unpredictable :ironicat:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Tony Smith has a Michael Shannon style severity about him

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

If anyone's still feeling good today, read this:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...012-gk6t62.html

quote:

Western Sydney paediatrician and University of Sydney professor David Isaacs told Fairfax how the father of one of his tiny patients, a toddler aged nearly three, tried to kill himself after learning his son's tuberculosis had been cured.

The reason? When Professor Isaacs delivered the good news, he also had to deliver the bad: the family were asylum seekers and the man, his wife and son would likely now be woken in the middle of the night, the parents handcuffed and the family sent to Nauru.

There should be Nurnberg trials for people who cooperate with this atrocious immigration policy, mandatory sentencing for anyone who made a buck off this poo poo. gently caress this government.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Between yesterdays gift cards and this we have officially hit "knives are out for Shorten" season. loving finally.

quote:

A senior construction executive says invoices to Bill Shorten's Australian Workers Union were "deliberately falsified" as part of a deal on the $2.5 billion EastLink tollway project to pay the union $100,000 a year.

In much-anticipated evidence, former executive for builder Thiess John Holland, Stephen Sasse, told the trade union royal commission on Monday that some invoices paid to the AWU were inflated or bogus.

Mr Sasse said he did not authorise payment for back strain research, which appears not to have been done. "If they [Thiess John Holland] did, it was without my knowledge."

He said it would have been "unorthodox" to use the AWU for such research because it was not equipped to do it.

Mr Sasse also questioned large payments for advertisements in the union magazine, some of which may not have been delivered and which produced "no tangible return".

And he questioned other invoices, including alleged large payments for an industrial relations seminar, a safety conference and a population forum.

Mr Sasse said "no sensible employer" would send staff for a day to an AWU-organised event such as the population forum.

The construction executive was questioned over his negotiations with Mr Shorten in 2004 over the tollway project.

He said he recalled discussing payments to the union totalling about $100,000 a year with Mr Shorten, then the Victorian secretary of the AWU.

The proposed payments were effectively a side deal to a landmark industrial agreement that would save the company $100 million through the reduction in industry conditions.

Mr Sasse's evidence is potentially damaging for Mr Shorten, who was questioned about the EastLink project in July. At the time Mr Shorten told the commission he did not "particularly remember" discussions about such payments, later refining his evidence to acknowledge he may have raised the idea of the AWU providing training "and the like".

Mr Sasse told the inquiry he had initial meetings with Mr Shorten at the end of 2004 about the EastLink deal over wages and conditions.

He said he was keen to keep the militant CFMEU off the project and had discussed with Mr Shorten Thiess John Holland paying for an AWU organiser on the project.

This, Mr Sasse said, would help keep the CFMEU out.

He said that would cost the builder $100,000 a year in wages and for a car and superannuation.

"My recollection is a number was discussed [with Mr Shorten)]," he said. "I can't remember if I came up with it or he came up with it."

At the July hearing counsel assisting the commission Jeremy Stoljar, SC, alleged the $100,000 a year was a "pre-arranged target", discussed by Mr Shorten and the company, and that to justify the money the union issued bogus or inflated invoices to Thiess John Holland for services that were either never, or only partially, delivered.

Mr Shorten has denied any involvement in, or knowledge of, the issuing of bogus invoices and said in July said that he left details of the project to his successor, Cesar Melhem​.

Lawyers expert in corruption say anyone involved in, or with knowledge of, such falsifying of invoices faces the possibility of criminal charges.

A Fairfax Media analysis has found that almost half the payments made by Thiess John Holland to the AWU appear to involve suspect invoices for services never provided, including for advertisements in the AWU magazine not published, and for "back strain" research.

Neither Mr Sasse nor Mr Shorten has produced documents to support their recollection of events.

The $100,000 a year plus GST payments, made for three years, were first revealed by Fairfax Media in June and Mr Shorten was questioned about them in July.

The Opposition Leader's record faces 10 days of scrutiny from Monday with political and media attention on the evidence of eight executives from building giant Thiess John Holland.

The commission has allocated the first two days of hearings to the Thiess deal, with most political and media focus on the evidence of Mr Sasse​ and human resources executive Julian Rzesniowiecki.

The lack of documentary evidence makes Tuesday's evidence by Mr Rzesniowiecki – a Sasse underling at the time – important because the commission has documents in which Mr Rzesniowiecki specifically refers to the $100,000-a-year payments.

In 2005, the AWU signed a landmark workplace agreement on EastLink that cut standard industry conditions established by rival the CFMEU, and delivered savings of as much as $100 million to Thiess John Holland.

The agreement slashed the number of fixed rostered days off, enabled giant tunnel borers and other earth-moving equipment to operate around the clock, helping the project finish five months early.

On Monday Mr Shorten failed in his bid to have Mr Sasse's evidence postponed on the basis of lack of procedural fairness.

A lawyer for Mr Shorten, Neil Clelland, said the questioning of Mr Shorten at a July hearing before the inquiry "'had the potential to damage Mr Shorten's reputation".

Mr Clelland sought records of all meetings between royal commission staff and Mr Sasse, and said his evidence had changed since Mr Shorten's appearance.

Commissioner Dyson Heydon rejected the application.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/investigations/invoices-bogus-in-eastlink-union-deal-20151011-gk6npn.html#ixzz3oKILaHlC
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Unimpressed posted:

If anyone's still feeling good today, read this:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...012-gk6t62.html

There should be Nurnberg trials for people who cooperate with this atrocious immigration policy, mandatory sentencing for anyone who made a buck off this poo poo. gently caress this government.

I picked up the Herald Sun today to see the followups for their story about the Royal Childrens Hospital doctors and made the mistake of turning to the readers' comments section.

There are people out there, who probably think of themselves as a good person, who would only be truly happy in a world so cruel it would make a loving nazi balk.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Liberal Russell Broadbent calls for end to 'unacceptable' detention of children

Liberal backbencher Russell Broadbent has thrown down the gauntlet to his own side of politics by labelling the indefinite detention of asylum seeker children “unacceptable”.

Broadbent told ABC Radio on Monday morning that public opinion has shifted on the indefinite detention of asylum seekers, warning that politicians must keep up.

“Long-term indefinite detention is not good enough in this country. It always comes to this; I knew it would come to this. It’s come to this again. The Australian people standing up and saying nup, not on. Not in our country,” he said.

“Indefinite detention is not acceptable, we’ve been through this before,” the backbencher said. “Women and children in detention behind razor wire in this country or locked away on an island is unacceptable.”

more:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/12/liberal-russell-broadbent-calls-for-end-to-unacceptable-detention-of-children

As good as it is to hear this from anyone in Parliament, I'm always confused by the "somebody please think of the children" logic. Why is it unacceptable to keep children in indefinite detention but absolutely A-OK to do the same to adults?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

freebooter posted:

As good as it is to hear this from anyone in Parliament, I'm always confused by the "somebody please think of the children" logic. Why is it unacceptable to keep children in indefinite detention but absolutely A-OK to do the same to adults?

Children are innocent, born without sin. Adults are country-shoppers and economic migrants.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Starshark posted:

Children are innocent, born without sin. Adults are country-shoppers and economic migrants.

Letting the children out is the thin edge of the wedge. Next thing we'll be letting them all out. It's a slippery slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

gay picnic defence posted:

Letting the children out is the thin edge of the wedge. Next thing we'll be letting them all out. It's a slippery slope.

It gets worse than that, in the refugee thread it turns out that if you let ex al-Nusra militants in you have to let Hitler in as well.

In Western Australia news lol: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-12/egg-producers-defend-intenstive-farming-methods/6847480

Starshark fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 12, 2015

• Locked thread