Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Does anyone know how to stop iMessage from dissociating with a phone number when you change the SIM in the phone that had that number? When I travelled to Spain last month I got a local prepaid SIM for cheap data and to save money vs roaming, but when I swapped the SIMs my permanent number got removed from iMessage and the prepaid SIM's number was added.

Going to be traveling again next month and hoping I can prevent the issue when I do the same thing again.

fordan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The sure fire way I've seen to do it is as follows: grab another iPhone, and keep your home SIM in it while you've got the foreign one in your main phone. Then iMessage won't drop the home number.

If you're on a GSM carrier and have no other iPhone handy I'm sure you could craigslist yourself an iPhone 5 with a busted screen for cheap. After all it doesn't have to actually do anything but boot up and let you sign into iMessage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For that matter, a 4 or 4s and a SIM adapter will be even cheaper and work just as well for this purpose.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Anybody else not getting any service?

I lost service around 9.0.1 and have been carrying a wifi phone for the last two weeks

Apple says it's my carriers fault (Rogers), Rogers says its apples fault.

I've done all the moves: switch sims 4 times, factory resets, old back ups, diagnostics, reset network sim with Rogers tech, tried the beta, tried to quit smoking, have done hard and soft resets, airplane mode, reset network settings...

Edit: it's an iPhone 6.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, your phone is clearly hosed up

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

virinvictus posted:

I lost service around 9.0.1 and have been carrying a wifi phone for the last two weeks

I've done all the moves: switch sims 4 times, factory resets, old back ups, diagnostics, reset network sim with Rogers tech, tried the beta, tried to quit smoking, have done hard and soft resets, airplane mode, reset network settings...

Have you tried it while smoking? The rest of the variables seem to be taken care of.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Kaizoku posted:

Have you tried it while smoking? The rest of the variables seem to be taken care of.

Just tried this, no success. I'm stumped.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Today I came home and decided to play around with my phone while putting my kid down for a nap.

Everything was like 10 seconds delayed. But to. Presses.
Physical button (home and sleep) presses. Typing my name took over a minute, letter by letter.

I took a demo video of it with another camera and then restored my phone.

My phone is all restored now. A handful of apps (of the tons I have) still have varying degrees of the darkened "install" circle over them.

When I came home my phone has a pop-up that said the restore was incomplete and connect to iTunes for remaining apps but I *was* connected. That was where I restored from.

I don't mind just deleting most of the apps but a couple are games I have some unfinished progress in.

Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

[edit] Nevermind. Just plugged it back into iTunes. I was afraid I would have to delete-re-add so I was afraid I'd lose data/progress but it was just ready to install the rest.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 12, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is Mophie still the best battery case

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Best looking for sure. Although my friends use generics and they're pretty happy with those.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

virinvictus posted:

well try a sim card from another gsm service/roger line and see if it works? if either of those work its obv your sim card/line/rogers carrier settings (although if it was the last one im sure lots of rogers subs would be complaining), and if another rogers sim works its def your sim card. either get another from another carrier or ask rogers to get their poo poo together

alternatively if neither of those work its your phone and you should ask apple to get their poo poo together

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I bought the Anker slim as it's about 1/2 the price of the Mophie Air, gets excellent reviews and a 18 month warranty. It has very slightly less capacity actually slightly more, which is a charge and change.

The larger ones are just too large IMO, the slim/air already double the weight.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

virinvictus posted:

For what it's worth I've had noticeably worse reception (both cellular and wifi) since switching from a 5 to a 6S - right now I'm sat at my desk and have no service where I've never had problems before, sometimes at home I can be one room away from the router and have wifi time out. I'm pretty sure I upgraded my 5 to 9.0.1 without problems before I switched devices, but not certain. I've also had the 6S replaced for an unrelated problem and nothing changed there, so it rules out an individual hardware fault. This is in the UK with Three.

Can I be the first to coin signalgate?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Khablam posted:

Honestly, once dark sky has identified an exact 5 minute period of heavy rain for you to avoid on a day when you're outside without instant access to shelter, you won't use another weather app.
Loads of stats is great but nothing beats "rain starting in 6 minutes and stopping 20 minutes later" as a practical piece of information.

I live in the UK and walk about a lot for work, so ymmv

e: all just to say, a lot of people asking why people use dark sky don't seem to realise it has a USP over free alternatives
Decided to pick up Dark Sky because on the one-hour notification. Since it needs to be regularly checking on my location and picking up on the weather report from there, can anyone comment on what it's like for battery and data usage with the one-hour notification switched on?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Question Mark Mound posted:

Decided to pick up Dark Sky because on the one-hour notification. Since it needs to be regularly checking on my location and picking up on the weather report from there, can anyone comment on what it's like for battery and data usage with the one-hour notification switched on?

It’s fine. Your phone constantly knows your location anyway for various reasons, and I’m sure Dark Sky hooks that location data to figure out where you are.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

I never close the app, and it shows 1% over 7 days on my battery panel. It doesn't light up your GPS like say Runkeeper would, instead it passively looks for your location via location services (much like asking siri to remind you to do something when you get home).
iOS defines a lot of classes of location information apps can call and it doesn't seem to nail you to a particular precise spot until you open the app and are using it in the foreground.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Khablam posted:

I never close the app, and it shows 1% over 7 days on my battery panel. It doesn't light up your GPS like say Runkeeper would, instead it passively looks for your location via location services (much like asking siri to remind you to do something when you get home).
iOS defines a lot of classes of location information apps can call and it doesn't seem to nail you to a particular precise spot until you open the app and are using it in the foreground.
Awesome, cheers!

I'm still in the habit of the iOS 5 or whatever says of anything location related being a battery-killer and thinking that if I can see the little location arrow in my status bar, I could practically count the battery percentage falling.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Left field question, but my wife's Facebook App looks different than mine when she looks at comments or likes.

Mine

Hers

Same iOS version and same Facebook version (I checked). There has to be a setting I am missing to get mine to show up this new way. Any ideas (I have deleted the app and reinstalled it)?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think facebook has a way of pushing test changes to a selection of people with an installed version

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Facebook does continuous integration in a neat way, they push out changes to random groups of people. So it's common you'll see a slightly different Facebook UI than someone else, until they put out all the fires and roll it out for everyone.

Not sure that's what's happening there though. As far as I know their big day is Tuesday, I doubt they'd make big changes before a weekend.

Regardless, mine looks like yours, not like hers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok that makes sense.

Just to be clear she first noticed this when we upgraded to the iPhone 6 in late August. So it has been over a month now (maybe some long term testing). We are getting 6s' this week or next, so maybe that will flip her back to the normal version. Hopefully the app ends up doing the way hers is, because I like it more.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pivo posted:

Not sure that's what's happening there though. As far as I know their big day is Tuesday, I doubt they'd make big changes before a weekend.
Rather than a staged rollout, Facebook A/B tests the hell out of things. Could be a test to see if people engage with the new style more or less than the old one.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Van Dis posted:

My iPhone 5C finally updated the OS to iOS 9 and now even the built-in apps like Safari and "typing in my passcode" respond noticeably slower. Thanks, Apple.
I'm having a similar experience on my 5C, unfortunately. Are you getting a lot of accidental Siri activations? Happens to me all the time and it's really annoying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Minidust posted:

I'm having a similar experience on my 5C, unfortunately. Are you getting a lot of accidental Siri activations? Happens to me all the time and it's really annoying.
I've been getting this on occasion with my 6, so it's not just isolated to the 5C.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Same here w/r/t accidental siri, 5S

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Minidust posted:

That I have not experienced, but I don't use Siri at all.

I have had to slow down in typing my passcode because of the update, though, and I have noticed no improvement in battery life. I suspect we're being forced into obsolescence and eventual updating, but Apple can sit and spin as far as I'm concerned.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can I view iOS notifications anywhere once I've unlocked my phone? Due to the speed of Touch ID on my 6s I've woken the phone, seen there's a notification about iCloud or something, but it unlocks before I can read it. These notifications aren't shown in the notification centre either.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

nate fisher posted:

We are getting 6s' this week or next, so maybe that will flip her back to the normal version. Hopefully the app ends up doing the way hers is, because I like it more.

If it's part of their CI it'll be tied to your account, not your device.

Regardless, if they decide to go with it, you'll get it eventually. Don't worry too much about it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Lady Gaza posted:

Can I view iOS notifications anywhere once I've unlocked my phone? Due to the speed of Touch ID on my 6s I've woken the phone, seen there's a notification about iCloud or something, but it unlocks before I can read it. These notifications aren't shown in the notification centre either.

Don't you need to change the alert style to show up in the notification center?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
My iPhone 6S gets noticeably warm after maybe 10-15 minutes of light use. I mean like playing candy crush or browsing the web.

This has never been an issue for me on my previous iPhones.

Has anyone else run into this. I plan on taking it to the Apple Store but appointments are booked until next week so it'll be a week or so.

It also seems that battery life is total garbage on this phone. Like I get the 20% notification an awful not now and I don't remember getting it that often in the past.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Lady Gaza posted:

Probably either set them so that they do show up in the notification center or start learning to turn on the phone screen with the lock button or with a non-TouchID finger.

I agree this is not ideal and I'm definitely still trying to get used to it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How do I turn them on though? I can't see a switch for 'system' or anything under Notifications. Or am I just being really dumb.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

The sure fire way I've seen to do it is as follows: grab another iPhone, and keep your home SIM in it while you've got the foreign one in your main phone. Then iMessage won't drop the home number.

If you're on a GSM carrier and have no other iPhone handy I'm sure you could craigslist yourself an iPhone 5 with a busted screen for cheap. After all it doesn't have to actually do anything but boot up and let you sign into iMessage.

I'm guessing I can't do this by putting it in my iPad since it doesn't seem like iPad phone numbers work for iMessage. Or at least the one assigned to my iPad isn't an option for iMessage.

dutchbstrd posted:

My iPhone 6S gets noticeably warm after maybe 10-15 minutes of light use. I mean like playing candy crush or browsing the web.

This has never been an issue for me on my previous iPhones.

Has anyone else run into this. I plan on taking it to the Apple Store but appointments are booked until next week so it'll be a week or so.

It also seems that battery life is total garbage on this phone. Like I get the 20% notification an awful not now and I don't remember getting it that often in the past.

Is it warm even when not being used? Have you rebooted it? What does Settings> Battery say is using up the most battery? I had occasional similar issues before and it seemed like it was a system process run amok and a reboot resolved it. That was several generations ago though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've been getting this on occasion with my 6, so it's not just isolated to the 5C.

Same on my 6. I guess they shortened the time that you need to hold the button down to activate Siri.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I've rebooted a bunch to no avail. Battery doesn't show anything unusual. Just safari, messages, whatsApp, etc.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I just got given an iphone 4. I don't call / text often. Generally on wi-fi, but want data available.

How can I maximise the phones usefulness, vis a rooting, apps and all that poo poo.
Also uk pay-as-you go recommendation?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I just got given an iphone 4. I don't call / text often. Generally on wi-fi, but want data available.

How can I maximise the phones usefulness, vis a rooting, apps and all that poo poo.
Also uk pay-as-you go recommendation?

The iPhone 4 is dated as hell

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If it hasn't been updated, don't update it because the latest OS it loads will run like total poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So? It's still a functioning phone, assuming the owner don't need the latest software for everything it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Until he gets an app that requires iOS 8. iOS 8 on a 4 runs like poo poo and he can't even imagine running iOS 9.