Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

RadioPassive posted:

Well poo poo, I have Progressive in Massachusetts and it sounds like I should switch. They quoted me like $70-something for state minimum liability on a Buell Blast. Then the lady on the phone discovered that they were somehow not allowed to write it for less than $95/year. I thought she said it was state law? Either way, $95 still sounded cheap at the time and I was in a hurry to get the paperwork together between work and the RMV closing. I should look into that.

I think the first year it is insured it is typically more expensive. I think the first year I insured the Vectrix with liability only it was more like $100 or so. Can't remember the specifics but it has gone down a bit over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't understand how the new 405 HOV Toll lanes near Seattle are supposed to work for motorcyclists.

Motorcycles get free use of HOV, always. The WSDOT is trying to spin it as "you can get a free pass" but you have to "qualify" by filling out a survey and state (truthfully or not I guess) that you live/work/play in Snohomish or King county. If you don't qualify or if you need one after they run out of "free" ones, you have to pay for a pass. That's not really free is it?

The alternative is the pay-by-plate method where you're sent a bill. They say the pay-by-plate method cannot determine 100% if the vehicle is a motorcycle so you have to pay a toll if you don't carry a transponder.

I call shenanigans. If they can look up my plate number, reference my vehicle registration info, and bill me at my address by mail, then that same registration information should tell them that it is a motorcycle and no further action is necessary.

How does that work with riders who do not live/work/play in Snohomish and King counties or who ride in from out of state?

I also don't understand how it is supposed to help traffic if everybody in german luxury sedans all clog the pay-for-HOV up for the buses and legitimate carpoolers.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 28, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bloated bureaucracies are great, aren't they?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

They say the pay-by-plate method cannot determine 100%

I predict the system works 100% of the time when tracking non-payers, particularly if a 100% markup is involved.

Oklahoma does not play, people.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

In Maryland my Ninja250 is $312/yr for a first year rider with an >25mph speeding ticket on record from a year ago. This is with progressive. Geico quoted me at $1500/yr or some insane poo poo.

I shouldn't have gotten the disappearing deductibles though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I gamed my disappearing deductible a little. The way it works with progressive is your deductible goes down 25% (from the base value) each year you have no comp/collision claims. After 4 years of no claims I am on the hook for 0% of the base deductible, so I upped it from $500 to $1000 and it saves $70/y (out of $500ish!) in premium. The extra premium for the disappearing deductible is like $14/y so as long as I don't make a claim, it's cheaper; I'm motivated in general to not make claims.

After you make a claim your deductible comes back at your next renewal, so I'll just reduce the base deductible again for a few years if that happens.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 30, 2015

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Sent my Roadcrafter back for some alterations. Just realized I left the only key to my bike in one of the pockets. gently caress.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Springfield Fatts posted:

Sent my Roadcrafter back for some alterations. Just realized I left the only key to my bike in one of the pockets. gently caress.

That SUCKS. Maybe they can overnight the key back to you? Why don't you have more than one key how do you sleep at night?

So, the groms on my craigslist have always been bone stock with 5000+ miles for $500 more than MSRP, or this kind of lunacy:

And for the privilege of paying 3k more than the bike is worth, you get a bike that has had this done to it for it's entire break in period (it has only 1200 miles on the odo):

No, it's cool bro. I would be happy to pay for your "more money than sense" 7800+inMODZ mistake. Since you are looking for a stuntable supermoto, now, this bike obviously completely sucks for what it was built for.

What is wrong with grom owners?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grom owners are the smart car owners of the bike world.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair to grom owners, that guy will ruin the next bike he gets, too

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If every bike owner in the world was me, everything would be perfect, because I'd own every bike in the world.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Man that guy bought a bike as a toy and had fun with it gently caress that guy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

If every bike owner in the world was me, everything would be perfect, because I'd own every bike in the world.

Could Erik Buell create a bike that he would not own? Makes ya think.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's like the shittiest, tiniest superduke.

Also, I recently bought a pair of 900RR's from someone named Erik out by East Troy. I like to pretend it was Erik Buell himself, which somehow makes it funny when I discover things like shattered oil pan drain plug bosses, cut charging system wires shorting on the frame, etc.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 6, 2015

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

People, please keep your animals contained. I hit a dog tonight and it died, :(. I thankfully didn't go down, but I feel horrible about it.

I was doing about 50 in a 45 and checked my blind spot, when I looked back I saw the dog right as my bike hit him. I went back but there was nothing I could do.

:smith:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Schroeder91 posted:

People, please keep your animals contained. I hit a dog tonight and it died, :(. I thankfully didn't go down, but I feel horrible about it.

I was doing about 50 in a 45 and checked my blind spot, when I looked back I saw the dog right as my bike hit him. I went back but there was nothing I could do.

:smith:

Loose dogs are such a bad mix with bikes. Normally they'll be afraid and just bark at you while staying back, but then you get some which are super interested in you and merrily waltz through traffic to come check you out and say hi.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Seriously, my first "almost accident" since I started on scooters last year was a dog that ran out of an apartment complex, no leash, into traffic, after 10AM. Driving in the scooter lane/shoulder, with a car on my left, and parked cars on my right, car on my left suddenly hits his brakes and now I'm staring down a white Pomeranian. Thankfully it turned back around at the last second, but I stopped driving on the shoulder/scooter lane at that particular stretch of road. Technically not actually a scooter lane there, just a bit of shoulder wide enough for a scooter to go between traffic and parked cars relatively safely. Learned a few things that night.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
loving poms :arghfist::australia:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Welp. First time I've ever worked on a vehicle where the factory service manual was wrong.

"Fit the case splitter to the clutch side of the engine", my rear end. Ended up taking me like two hours too long because I couldn't figure out why the input shaft just wouldn't budge.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was riding at a modest pace through a residential area and someone apparently left the gate to their fenced garden open and their yappy little terrier ran out into the street to chase me. My first instinct was to speed up and outrun it, but I was coming up on an intersection and I didn't want to get the dumb furball run over, so I stopped and got off, picked the dog up and carried it back to its garden, closed the gate and dropped it over the fence.

That's my sort of feelgood story.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

I was riding at a modest pace through a residential area and someone apparently left the gate to their fenced garden open and their yappy little terrier ran out into the street to chase me. My first instinct was to speed up and outrun it, but I was coming up on an intersection and I didn't want to get the dumb furball run over, so I stopped and got off, picked the dog up and carried it back to its garden, closed the gate and dropped it over the fence.

That's my sort of feelgood story.

A+ work. It's always good to be kind to animals.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Festive-rear end dogs always getting entangled in spokes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sorry, I'm sure hitting a dog was traumatic but I couldn't help but think of this

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sorry, I'm sure hitting a dog was traumatic but I couldn't help but think of this

The skid demon! Love it, like a road gremlin.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Earlier this year I was taking a bike to the local garage for an inspection sticker. The garage is at the end of a dead end side street and when I was basically in dooryard some big dumb pitbull comes out and gets in front of me. I am going like 5mph so I stop and the big retard dog starts mauling my tire. The owners stood there yelling at the dog that obviously wasn't listening, tried to pull the dog away, and he would just come back. I wasn't about to physically assault a pitbull and every time I tried to go he would just square off to the tire in front of me and maul maul maul.

Eventually the dog got out of the way enough for me to get to the garage, where he loving followed me and continued to attack the tire while the mechanics and poo poo tried to get him to gently caress off.

In the end, the dog hosed off and I got my inspection sticker but wouldn't you know, my front tire was flat a few hours later. The tire held air just fine for the year+ previous to that and sure it seems crazy to think that he popped but it sure is one hell of a coincidence.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Earlier this year I was taking a bike to the local garage for an inspection sticker. The garage is at the end of a dead end side street and when I was basically in dooryard some big dumb pitbull comes out and gets in front of me. I am going like 5mph so I stop and the big retard dog starts mauling my tire. The owners stood there yelling at the dog that obviously wasn't listening, tried to pull the dog away, and he would just come back. I wasn't about to physically assault a pitbull and every time I tried to go he would just square off to the tire in front of me and maul maul maul.

Eventually the dog got out of the way enough for me to get to the garage, where he loving followed me and continued to attack the tire while the mechanics and poo poo tried to get him to gently caress off.

In the end, the dog hosed off and I got my inspection sticker but wouldn't you know, my front tire was flat a few hours later. The tire held air just fine for the year+ previous to that and sure it seems crazy to think that he popped but it sure is one hell of a coincidence.

:psyduck: what kind of hosed up pirate ship workshop has a dog like that just wandering loose? What the gently caress.

"Hmmm yes I really would like to make money from people walking into my workshop and this raging pooch wandering loose in maximum attack mode won't at all impact this strategy in any way"

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I dunno about you guys, but my dog (boxer) is generally poorly behaved. The bike, though? He respects the bike.

I genuinely have no idea why it's the one thing he doesn't try to gently caress up.

e: no, he's not afraid of it.

Verge fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 10, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fi0V-oCwvY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Verge posted:

The skid demon! Love it, like a road gremlin.

Mods please name change me to either Skid Demon, Festive Dog or Vigorous Tooteler

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Go with skid demon so we get our fill of underwear jokes.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Got a (bad) pic of my baby from the Insurance yard today. gently caress motorcycle thieves. :(

Before:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Send it to off the old farm where it can frolick and wheelie in the fields, and take the offered compensation.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Akion posted:

Got a (bad) pic of my baby from the Insurance yard today. gently caress motorcycle thieves. :(

Before:

I've seen poo poo like this a lot, also happened to my neighbor (bike was seen riding around with the rear subframe ground off) and I never get this, why don't they part the bike out or sell it and instead just gently caress it up. Meth?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

High Protein posted:

I've seen poo poo like this a lot, also happened to my neighbor (bike was seen riding around with the rear subframe ground off) and I never get this, why don't they part the bike out or sell it and instead just gently caress it up. Meth?

Well, this dude got popped with:
Motor Vehicle Theft/Agg 1 <20K - Class 4 Felony
ID Theft - Poss w/intent to use - Class 5 Felony
Crim Poss Fin Dev 4 or More - Class 5 Felony

Detective says the bike basically led them to his U-Haul full of stolen DL's, Passports, and Credit Cards.

Sounds like he's gonna have a bad time.

As an aside, my buddy brought his new Monster over for me to take a spin on yesterday and god dammit I miss riding. :(

Akion fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 12, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Holy gently caress, what kind of brain dead monkey does that sort of damage?! Even ignoring that you had one of the best looking DRZ's I've ever seen, picture or otherwise, what they did to it is just beyond the pale. It shows a lack of respect of people having nice things to steal other's things, but this is a complete lack of being ok with nice things even existing.

Why would you go through such chaotic effort to ruin something so completely?! What is the point?! Glad that guy is going to get reamed by the court system. He deserves it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Went to leave on a trip on Saturday and went to attach my GPS to my bike and noticed that my Ram mount had been stolen. I commute and park my bike very day but rarely use the mount so it could have been stolen a while ago. I ended up using google maps on my cell phone speaking directions to me on my Sena bluetooth headset. Who the hell steals a Ram mount?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Akion posted:

Well, this dude got popped with:
Motor Vehicle Theft/Agg 1 <20K - Class 4 Felony
ID Theft - Poss w/intent to use - Class 5 Felony
Crim Poss Fin Dev 4 or More - Class 5 Felony

Detective says the bike basically led them to his U-Haul full of stolen DL's, Passports, and Credit Cards.

Sounds like he's gonna have a bad time.

As an aside, my buddy brought his new Monster over for me to take a spin on yesterday and god dammit I miss riding. :(

See, this is why police need to take vehicle theft more seriously. Maybe all you get at the end of the breadcrumb trail is some clean living kleptomaniac. But if there's any sort of enterprise behind it, who knows what you'll find? Drugs, guns, shipping container full of smuggled humans... all because you followed up on a guy's stolen bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Word to the wise: don't go anywhere near the Forks Of The Credit during leaf-peeping season, you will have no fun and just end up behind a long line of people driving their SUVs at 10 under looking at leaves and wondering why the road is so windy. Then when you pass all the fun parts going too slow, you'll spend 10 minutes trying to get onto Highway 10 because none of them can accelerate their suburban tanks fast enough to make it into the rare gaps in the traffic.

Ugh. Cagers ruin everything around me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is why I swore off hitting the mountains on weekends between 8am-3pm. Even outside of leaf season, it's nothing but slow moving trains of the same kind of car or motorcycle as enthusiast groups pretend to have fun in a slow moving wagon train through the best roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Word to the wise: don't go anywhere near the Forks Of The Credit during leaf-peeping season, you will have no fun and just end up behind a long line of people driving their SUVs at 10 under looking at leaves and wondering why the road is so windy. Then when you pass all the fun parts going too slow, you'll spend 10 minutes trying to get onto Highway 10 because none of them can accelerate their suburban tanks fast enough to make it into the rare gaps in the traffic.

Ugh. Cagers ruin everything around me.

Been there done that got the t-shirt. Pretty sure it was on Thanksgiving too. "oh I'll just go for a drive down the forks, should be quiet, everyone is at grandma's eating turkey"
Oh gently caress everyone's grandma lives in belfountain it turns out.
This was ~10 years ago, can't imagine it's gotten better.