Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Today's episode of Ultra Despair Girls avoided child molestation, I'd like to hope we can only go up from here.

E: A good post to start the new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

oh I'm sure it does I just can't think of one

I like pretty much everything about that game

that's good. it's good to like things

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Blockhouse posted:

it totally is, especially with skifree is right there ready to download for anyone

Much like the WCW Yeti that yeti will forever haunt my nightmares.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Commissar Ken posted:

Much like the WCW Yeti that yeti will forever haunt my nightmares.

now imagine the skifree yet-tay bumping and grinding on hulk hogan

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Today's episode of Ultra Despair Girls avoided child molestation, I'd like to hope we can only go up from here.

E: A good post to start the new page.
This game contains french kissing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Kins posted:

This sounds weird and creepy!

I made a mario maker level that's just BUY UNDERTALE in big blocks with Sans head at the end called "You're going to have a good time."

I did my part

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I'm so glad Pat didn't want to be in the LP, I really don't need someone backseat gaming me, who also doesn't care about the game their watching. He hates Earthbound, so the fact he doesn't like Undertale all that much surprises me less than zero.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Canadian man crushed by sandbags during heated podcast skeleton argument

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I want someone to convince Pat to do the piece of poo poo run or at least watch Slowbeef's LP of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

I'm so glad Pat didn't want to be in the LP, I really don't need someone backseat gaming me, who also doesn't care about the game their watching. He hates Earthbound, so the fact he doesn't like Undertale all that much surprises me less than zero.
Yeah it doesn't surprise me that he's reacting this way to it. It's unfortunate but not unexpected.

I wouldn't say undertale is the best game on the PC or anything, of course. However, I am hard pressed to think of a game that I came away from so thoroughly satisfied in the last five years. I don't feel the need to play more of it, and I am content with that, which is a super rare feeling for me. Often I get that aching feeling that it's over and there's no more, but with undertale, I was just happy to have experienced it.

Whether the developer thinks it's deserving of high praise or not is irrelevant. It had special meaning to a lot of people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also the soundtrack is mind-bogglingly good, I don't know if it's possible for you to bump up the game audio in the LP for it in the future matt but it's just a joy. Every single boss theme is amazing(though one in particular I don't like on its own; in game it's great) and a lot of the normal music, exploration or otherwise, are at the very least good if not great.

I've only ever bought two full priced soundtracks for games before undertale's; minecraft and ftl.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Captain Invictus posted:

I wouldn't say undertale is the best game on the PC or anything, of course. However, I am hard pressed to think of a game that I came away from so thoroughly satisfied in the last five years. I don't feel the need to play more of it, and I am content with that, which is a super rare feeling for me. Often I get that aching feeling that it's over and there's no more, but with undertale, I was just happy to have experienced it.

Yeah it's so strange, it's been forever since a game left me so thoroughly satisfied emotionally I just don't think I'll ever touch it again. I got kind of the same feeling when I played 'To The Moon' but that game was just an amazing story in a poo poo RPG maker skin, Undertale however was such a satisfying experience that I'm glad to have gone through, like a fond memory I don't feel the need to go back to it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think Earthbound is an overrated piece of crap and I enjoyed Undertale so I don't see the relationship. Not all quirky RPGs have to somehow fit the same formula.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I made a mario maker level that's just BUY UNDERTALE in big blocks with Sans head at the end called "You're going to have a good time."

I did my part
Was this before or after you made poorly photoshopped Chick tracts to hand out instead of candy on Halloween

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!

HGH posted:

I think Earthbound is an overrated piece of crap and I enjoyed Undertale so I don't see the relationship. Not all quirky RPGs have to somehow fit the same formula.

Main character is a kid with a striped shirt, the menu is black & white and the game pokes fun at you. That's really all there is. I guess people find them both charming more than anything?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Samuel L. Chan posted:

Main character is a kid with a striped shirt, the menu is black & white and the game pokes fun at you. That's really all there is. I guess people find them both charming more than anything?
Their fanbases are both clinically unable to stop talking about their game as if it cured their mother's cancer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

Their fanbases are both clinically unable to stop talking about their game as if it cured their mother's cancer.

So what?

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!

The Kins posted:

Well that is true, but if you're gonna say that you may as well call that one OFF game like Earthbound too you know?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HGH posted:

It's hugely inspired by EB and has a very similar flippantly weird tone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Square Enix talked about thinking about crowdfunding for localization, specifically the former head of Eidos (I think?), Phil Rogers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It is hosed up when people talk about games they like

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

HGH posted:

Ness's room is literally in undertale

it wears its influences on its sleeve

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lets hang out posted:

It is hosed up when people talk about games they like

The lesson here is Don't Like Anything.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

and Earthbound is loving dope, Human Growth Hormone

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

lets hang out posted:

It is fricked up when people talk about games they like

There we go.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Samuel L. Chan posted:

Well that is true, but if you're gonna say that you may as well call that one OFF game like Earthbound too you know?
OFF is nearly ten years old by now if you count the original French release, and if it had a fanatical following a.) it's probably burned away by now over time and b.) it didn't burst into things and places I enjoy to try to sell me on the Best Game Ever every five minutes.

This is probably how people who disliked Portal felt through to the middle of 2008.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
hey, pat finally got an account, hi pat

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kins you should play the games you like imo

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

that's street wisdom straight off the dome

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I was a big fan of frankenHUD btw

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ruggington posted:

Kins you should play the games you like imo
I started playing XIIZEAL today. I like it a lot, but I'm not very good at it. I got to Stage 3 without continuing! :dance: That's probably not an accomplishment.

Ruggington posted:

I was a big fan of frankenHUD btw
Thanks! I'm a big fan of not working on it, because gently caress VGUI!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ruggington posted:

and Earthbound is loving dope, Human Growth Hormone
Ok maybe I was too harsh but see this feeling?

The Kins posted:

OFF is nearly ten years old by now if you count the original French release, and if it had a fanatical following a.) it's probably burned away by now over time and b.) it didn't burst into things and places I enjoy to try to sell me on the Best Game Ever every five minutes.

This is probably how people who disliked Portal felt through to the middle of 2008.

Imagine this for who knows how many years in RPG discussions, and when you finally get to it it's just sort of a middling slog of a SNES game. Really left a sour taste in my mouth, which is unfair to it I guess.
I didn't know about HGH when I made that name cause it was just what I input into high score screens. It feels kinda dumb now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I think it's a beautiful name, dear

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hell, Demon Negotiation doesn't even work the same from game to game.

Hell, it barely works the same from different encounters, with the same demon with the same game specific veriable (normally moon phase).

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Samuel L. Chan posted:

What a strange post. Both Earthbound and Undertale have an extremely similar tone and atmosphere that is set by the sense of humor displayed throughout the game (i.e. quirky npc text/non-standard rpg enemy types etc.). People who like Earthbound don't because of its battle system of whatever, it all comes down to the tone and atmosphere the game presents. Undertale mirrors that and Earthbound is an extremely good comparison for Undertale insofar as there is any singular game comparison for it. Like, it should surprise no one that the creator of Undertale's only work before making the game literally was doing Earthbound ROM hacks and said in some interview that Earthbound is his most played game. The influence is everywhere, and I'm not sure who anyone could play both games and not think Undertale's creator took inspiration from Earthbound (which surprise he actually did). It has nothing to do with a striped shirt or black and white menus. For that matter, black and white menus are not some trope associate with Earthbound, its how all retro-RPGS displayed their menus, like Dragon Quest etc.

e: Also anyone who legit lets public perception of games affect how much they enjoy the game are complete children. Something like Portal is no better or worse because it was well-received and spawned dumb memes or whatever. What type of person legitimately likes a game less because of its internet zeitgeist perception? That's something a crazy person does who is only playing games to talk about them on the internet instead of the intrinsic joy/fun the game itself provides you while you play it.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 12, 2015

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

So It Goes posted:

What a strange post. Both Earthbound and Undertale have an extremely similar tone and atmosphere that is set by the sense of humor displayed throughout the game (i.e. quirky npc text/non-standard rpg enemy types etc.). People who like Earthbound don't because of its battle system of whatever, it all comes down to the tone and atmosphere the game presents. Undertale mirrors that and Earthbound is an extremely good comparison for Undertale insofar as there is any singular game comparison for it. Like, it should surprise no one that the creator of Undertale's only work before making the game literally was doing Earthbound ROM hacks and said in some interview that Earthbound is his most played game. The influence is everywhere, and I'm not sure who anyone could play both games and not think Undertale's creator took inspiration from Earthbound (which surprise he actually did). It has nothing to do with a striped shirt or black and white menus. For that matter, black and white menus are not some trope associate with Earthbound, its how all retro-RPGS displayed their menus, like Dragon Quest etc.

e: Also anyone who legit lets public perception of games affect how much they enjoy the game are complete children. Something like Portal is no better or worse because it was well-received and spawned dumb memes or whatever. What type of person legitimately likes a game less because of its internet zeitgeist perception? That's something a crazy person does who is only playing games to talk about them on the internet instead of the intrinsic joy/fun the game itself provides you while you play it.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree Earthbound is the best comparison there is to Undertale but I just think Undertale is able to stand on its own as its own game rather than having to be compared to Earthbound all the time. It has its own sense of humor separate from Earthbound as well as characters and story, not to mention gameplay but that's not really a factor since both games aren't loved for it. I've just seen people writing off Undertale as being an Earthbound ripoff/clone from the constant comparisons, when the similarities are more loose than that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Allison Road's kickstarter was cancelled.

Because it's now being published by Team17.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tae posted:

Allison Road's kickstarter was cancelled.

Because it's now being published by Team17.

On the one hand, I'm glad these guys have found a publisher, though an unconventional one (the worms guys).

But no matter how hard they try, they will never be Kojima/Del Toro/Junji Ito. Never ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HGH posted:

Ok maybe I was too harsh but see this feeling?

Imagine this for who knows how many years in RPG discussions, and when you finally get to it it's just sort of a middling slog of a SNES game. Really left a sour taste in my mouth, which is unfair to it I guess.
I didn't know about HGH when I made that name cause it was just what I input into high score screens. It feels kinda dumb now.

Hype God Hercule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Kins posted:

Was this before or after you made poorly photoshopped Chick tracts to hand out instead of candy on Halloween

It was a couple months ago so it all kind of blurs together in my head sadly