Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

The alternatives really aren't any better though, like closing off creation entirely or allowing the server to crash. It sucks, I know, but this makes it so that the popular servers don't get people just randomly joining them and making them more full, and ensures generally that only people who really want to be on there are. I can't really think of a better way to do it, at least.

The windows are based on concurrent logins btw, which is why you can sometimes make characters immediately before or after maintenance and at off peak times, and also why there's not a schedule.

If anything, it's really a testament to how the game's retained its popularity - they've been trying for two years to even out the population, but the rate of attrition is still too low to counteract the people who force their way in.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Niton posted:

If anything, it's really a testament to how the game's retained its popularity - they've been trying for two years to even out the population, but the rate of attrition is still too low to counteract the people who force their way in.

On one hand I'm kind of surprised they haven't done free transfer offers to less populated servers to try to offload people but on the other hand the infrastructure team has done a really great job and there are very rarely any stability problems due to population or any other downside to being on a big server really.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It is simultaneously a point of pride and the biggest pain in my rear end that goons are still complaining about Excalibur being too full to join over two years since the game relaunched

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shy posted:

I wouldn't rely on it, it was swapped for me a few times. I was saving the appearance data and refreshing the server list inside the client.

It's green now and I still can't make a character :negative:

The Chairman posted:

It is simultaneously a point of pride and the biggest pain in my rear end that goons are still complaining about Excalibur being too full to join over two years since the game relaunched

Don't get me wrong here, it definitely says good things about the game that this is a problem they're having, it's also just not great timing for a technical issue that is literally preventing me from playing the game. I could just put my trial character on a different server, I guess, but I can't get attached to it or I'll be out :20bux:.

e: nvm, got in :toot:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 12, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

a kitten posted:

Fantasia will just do your appearance, you can pay for a namechange on mogstation if you're so inclined.

Okay, thanks. I'll just keep what I have for now. If I decide to change later, I can throw SE a few bucks. I do like my av, but I'm but iffy on his name, and I have a name I like for a Hellsguard character if I ever go in that direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are two parts to being a healer. A decent healer will keep everyone alive. A great healer will contribute to DPS while doing the same. As a white mage you get access to various HoT abilities that really make it easy for you to toss out a couple of those, go to cleric stance, and start laying down the pain.

All right, I think I'm on the right track then. I try to throw out Stone and Aero as often as possible when everyone is healthy, generally targeting the tank's target. Are there any key cross-class skills I should focus on getting ASAP? I'm only a level 21 Conjurer right now so I've really just been focused on trying to stay on top of the MSQ, which is at level 17 (next quest is Copperbell). I really want my Chocobo before I start futzing around too much with new classes.

Thanks for the help.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Leofish posted:

Okay, thanks. I'll just keep what I have for now. If I decide to change later, I can throw SE a few bucks. I do like my av, but I'm but iffy on his name, and I have a name I like for a Hellsguard character if I ever go in that direction.

All right, I think I'm on the right track then. I try to throw out Stone and Aero as often as possible when everyone is healthy, generally targeting the tank's target. Are there any key cross-class skills I should focus on getting ASAP? I'm only a level 21 Conjurer right now so I've really just been focused on trying to stay on top of the MSQ, which is at level 17 (next quest is Copperbell). I really want my Chocobo before I start futzing around too much with new classes.

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't say "ASAP" but it's good to have Swiftcast from Thaumaturge. It's extremely handy for raising people in fights.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In order of priority:

Arcanist to 15 when conjurer hits 30, so you can unlock white mage (which is basically Better Conjurer). As a side effect, this lets you cross-class Virus too. You'll want to unlock your battle chocobo (a game mechanic) after hitting 30 and before leveling arcanist. The quest to do that is in Camp Tranquil in South Shroud.

Thaumaturge to 26 to cross-class Swiftcast, some time in the 30 to 50 range on your white mage. It ranges from "nice but very optional" at 30 to "you really loving want to have it" at 50 or higher. 40's not a bad time to stop to get it. (And yes, low level thaumaturge is notorious for being so very simplistic as to be boring. Don't let it sour you on playing black mage later on - it gets fun mechanics if you keep playing past the point of getting Swiftcast.)

Arcanist to 34 to cross-class Eye for an Eye, some time in the 40 to 60 range on your white mage. It's a very nice ability and you'll want to have it before you start doing any serious content at 60, but it's far lower on the crucialness scale than Swiftcast is. During the leveling process it basically falls in the category of "you'd appreciate having it but could quite reasonably get away with not having it".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Shy posted:

What's that about?

It's about ignorance and thinly-veiled racism.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I feel like it should be repeated:

:siren: Server transfers are closed until October 20th. If you plan to get on Excalibur, wait for it to open. You will not be able to transfer to any server before then. :siren:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/aab67a33611aa815b99fbf78ab163ba937ba69c9

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Just found out I'm finally going to have a day off on Thursday. Gonna use the gently caress outta this to level up. Goal is to get to 45 by the time I sleep then, level 37 I think in my first job. Hopefully this is feasible. Also unrelated but gently caress waking up at 5am for a stupid 8 hout assmanaher class

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the largest most comically oversized WAR axe and DRK sword available?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

WAR is probably the Eso axe.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WAR is probably the Eso axe.

or the titan one

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

For DRK swords, try this: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/ec58a0e8c24/

I got mine on the market board for only like 3000 gil.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Titan weapons probably.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Boris Galerkin posted:

The neverreap/fractal DRK one is pretty big too.

I want the AK sword. :sigh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I finished leveling MCH this weekend. I'm trying to decide what to focus on next - either WHM so I have one of each role at max, or DRK because I'm curious to see what everyone is gushing over (the quests, I mean).

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 12, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Flame Elite Axe is pretty up there, but I think Eso and Titan are a bit bigger.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Flame Elite Axe is pretty up there, but I think Eso and Titan are a bit bigger.

Flame Elite greatsword is pretty huge too though again not quite as big as Titan weps. All the Flame Elite weapons are enormous really, if you feel like saving up allied seals.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
They call it the Flame Elite's Handgonne because your enemies are just gonne when you use it

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I finished leveling MCH this weekend. I'm trying to decide what to focus on next - either WHM so I have one of each role at max, or DRK because I'm curious to see what everyone is gushing over (the quests, I mean).

Having both at 60 I can confirm that DRK is way, way more fun. But I also kinda hated WHM and fell in love with SCH on the healing side of things. It really is the Warrior of healers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Have they given a specific patch date yet? I want a reason to play again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mordiceius posted:

The reason to play is for the best gaming community of any game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I feel like I've got a bit of a David Bowie in Labyrinth thing going on.

I ran a random dungeon today in which the Rogue was being played by a literal four-year-old (as he later attested in chat, his son is actually almost five) and the THM was a psychopath who kept pulling everything all the time forever. Still - Puffy pirate shirt. :yarr:

I still want that green robe that I've seen around at this level.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Mordiceius posted:

Latest estimate is still early November, although that was a good month and a half or so ago iirc.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Leofish posted:

I still want that green robe that I've seen around at this level.

If "this level" is in 15-20ish, then the robe you're talking about is the Acolyte's Robe which you can get from Sastasha, Copperbell, and Tam-Tara

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

I feel like I've got a bit of a David Bowie in Labyrinth thing going on.

Hair isn't remotely 80s enough. Jandelaine can fix you up though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

If "this level" is in 15-20ish, then the robe you're talking about is the Acolyte's Robe which you can get from Sastasha, Copperbell, and Tam-Tara

Yeah, that sounds like it. I love all the little frills that armor in this game has, all the buckles and pockets and pouches and stuff.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Im currently a level 52 PLD with Marauder leveled to 26 so I will have every cross class skills for DRK when I finally unlock it. I defeated shiva and Im in the final stretch to unlock Ishgard.

What is the fastest way to level from 30 to 50? I dont look forward to doing this again after slogging through the 2.x quests but I have been wanting to be a dark knight since level 1.

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008

Manyorcas posted:

Latest estimate is still early November, although that was a good month and a half or so ago iirc.

This really cannot come fast enough. Alex Savage is just too stupid hard for my casual self but everything else is too easy and I've done a bunch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Athropos posted:

Im currently a level 52 PLD with Marauder leveled to 26 so I will have every cross class skills for DRK when I finally unlock it. I defeated shiva and Im in the final stretch to unlock Ishgard.

What is the fastest way to level from 30 to 50? I dont look forward to doing this again after slogging through the 2.x quests but I have been wanting to be a dark knight since level 1.

Cool, I just beat Shiva an hour ago too. Doesn't look like there's thy many quests left before HW.

Sadly I'll be on vacation for two weeks starting this weekend. First world problems.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Athropos posted:

Dungeon spam with the occasional Leve to keep your sanity is the best way to go.

Especially since you have a level 52 class, DRK will get +100% more EXP from Dungeons, enemies, and Levequests. It'll took me around two or three days to get from 30 to 50.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Athropos posted:

Roulette dailies followed by spamming the highest level dungeon as you'll get instant queues the whole time as DRK.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cool, I just beat Shiva an hour ago too. Doesn't look like there's thy many quests left before HW.

Sadly I'll be on vacation for two weeks starting this weekend. First world problems.

Are you on Excalibur? We could have went through the ordeal together!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Athropos posted:

Are you on Excalibur? We could have went through the ordeal together!

I am! But probably not though. I have a instant tank queue so I always forget to ask in guild chat if anyone wants to queue with me.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is dark knight pretty much a black battle mage?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I am! But probably not though. I have a instant tank queue so I always forget to ask in guild chat if anyone wants to queue with me.

Lucky. I had a tight schedule this evening and I wouldn't have been able to raid but an awesome goon offered to tank.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2015

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I play on Excalibur, under the handle Spag Vontapdancer. I'm in jolly rogers, about to go into ST and I'm working on catching up before buying HW.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Time to start playing again, I suspect, get BLM up to cap before the next patch. Has anything much changed at all since Alexander Savage launched?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm also a tank so queues are no problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Is dark knight pretty much a black battle mage?

I wish. I'd love a magetank, and DRK is kind of a magetank, but not really.

It's more like PLD but with actual fun and good abilities added, with some sprinklings of Good poo poo from WAR.

• Locked thread