Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Exclamation Marx posted:

You're wrong, cruel and unusual.

This post has singlehandedly converted me to the Cult of the Oxford Comma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Capfalcon posted:

This post has singlehandedly converted me to the Cult of the Oxford Comma.

Welcome. We have a fight tonight with the Harvard Comma Cult. I can't remember why though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Radish posted:

Welcome. We have a fight tonight with the Harvard Comma Cult. I can't remember why though.

Because those guys are NERDS :argh:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
what's this "x, y and, z" bullshit? "x, y, and z" is the proper way

:sludgepal:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seems like commas are another thing, that we can't handle

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've heard Obama is one of them commas and I'm completely against that.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
"B-b-but this how I was taught punctuation at school"

Corner Kelly: no comma sense

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

You're wrong, cruel and unusual.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Muir is one of those people that thinks the C3 Vette is fast because it's a Vette and was new when he was a teenager.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
despite the efforts of the PA Legislature the state budget remains balanced

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Oxford comma is like the DH in baseball or guns. I started out mildly considering the comma unnecessary, mildly favoring the DH, and being pretty meh on gun control either way. But the stridency, aggressiveness, and arrogance of comma lovers, DH haters and gun nuts has slowly made me grow to hate those positions.

I use it when I feel like it's needed. (One night note I used it twice in the above paragraph.) Do you need grammar rules to hold your hand that much?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mellow Seas posted:

The Oxford comma is like the DH in baseball, or guns. I started out mildly considering the comma unnecessary, mildly favoring the DH, and being pretty meh on gun control either way. But the stridency, aggressiveness, and arrogance of comma lovers, DH haters and gun nuts has slowly made me grow to hate those positions.

I use it when I feel like it's needed. (One night note I used it twice in the above paragraph.) Do you need grammar rules to hold your hand that much?

Given that at first I couldn't figure out what you were talking about with how guns involve a designated hitter, yeah, it should have been used.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

Given that at first I couldn't figure out what you were talking about with how guns involve a designated hitter, yeah, it should have been used.

That's on you for not understanding baseball, bro

Or maybe the problem is lazy readers.

e: And yes, I'm aware of how my position resembles the surprisingly common "I wasn't a racist until Obama made me one" sentiment.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mellow Seas posted:

That's on you for not understanding baseball, bro

I'm a Cubs fan, I have no idea what winning baseball looks like

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Someone better call Mario because whatever that thing is supposed to be it needs to be stomped

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm a Cubs fan, I have no idea what winning baseball looks like

Well hey, I'm rooting for you guys, partly because the fans deserve it but mostly because gently caress the Cardinals amirite?

e: Teacher says every time the Cardinals get knocked out of the playoffs a McCoy cries.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

ClownSyndrome posted:

"B-b-but this how I was taught punctuation at school"

Corner Kelly: no comma sense

Speaking of...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kakairo posted:

Speaking of...

Oh god, Ward Sutton's gone meta.

I honestly expected to see a guest artist in the corner.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Lady Naga posted:

I bet Lewis Carol would like anime.

Well, he was a pedophile.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Zetsubou-san posted:

what's this "x, y and, z" bullshit? "x, y, and z" is the proper way

:sludgepal:

if we all spoke in LISP we wouldn't have this problem

(to (my parents) (Ayn Rand) (God))

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Davethulhu posted:

"Ephebophile"
:goonsay:

e: also Lewis Carroll rules

AGC

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 12, 2015

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Davethulhu posted:

Much like James Joyce or Jimmy Page, I think Lewis Carroll is an irreplaceable creative genius who I would want to say the hell away from me and my family.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Skeesix posted:

Much like James Joyce or Jimmy Page, I think Lewis Carroll is an irreplaceable creative genius who I would want to say the hell away from me and my family.

Why James Joyce? His letters to Nora Barnacle weren't that bad. Did he do something else?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Hubis posted:

"Ephebophile"
:goonsay:

e: also Lewis Carroll rules

AGC

Not enough labels. Oysters are Taxpayers, Walrus is Obama, Carpenter is Those Unions.

E: actually the oysters are American Jobs and the Carpenter is Illegal Immigrants.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Skeesix posted:

Wait, so Lewis Carroll is a total plagiarist?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Prickly City's continuing fascination with Pat DiNizio is perhaps the strongest evidence that Scott Stantis is still writing the strip, unless Eric Allie is also a huge Smithereens fan — and really, what are the odds of that?

2006:

2007:

2008:

2010:

2011:

2014:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I like day by day. it's like a puzzle every time. find the moronic statement in the word scramble! I feel like a criminal profiler trying to understand the serial killer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Democrats are so cool :cool:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Xanderkish posted:

Why James Joyce? His letters to Nora Barnacle weren't that bad. Did he do something else?

He was an alcoholic, philandering rear end in a top hat who wasted every cent he ever borrowed and kept his family in poverty. However, I don't believe he was ever accused of pedophilia.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

1 Putin travels back in time to totally own former president Rutherford B Hanes
6 :black101:
7 Timely pop culture reference, Terry.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Angepain posted:

if we all spoke in LISP we wouldn't have this problem

(to (my parents) (Ayn Rand) (God))
My and Any aren't functions though? Where do you stand on the Oxford caddr?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like how certain cartoonists harp on the golf thing, so that I can quickly tell how soul-crushingly stupid/shilly they are.

:golf:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Plague of Hats posted:

I like how certain cartoonists harp on the golf thing, so that I can quickly tell how soul-crushingly stupid/shilly they are.

:golf:

Maybe it's an extension of comic strip writers' monomaniacal fixation on golf?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

An... unironically good Ted Rall? What the hell? The perspective isn't even terribly hosed up or anything.

And I seriously don't get this. Like, I get it, but in the same manner as calling somebody gay or Muslim like it's an insult, the delivery doesn't compute. Our best news does come from comedians. What difference does it make? poo poo, the best source for news is The Onion, because they're the only precognitive news outlet in history.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Yes, and what does that say about the state of journalism?"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Broken Loose posted:

An... unironically good Ted Rall? What the hell? The perspective isn't even terribly hosed up or anything.

The perspective isn't messed up because he doesn't use any. It's completely flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Russian wikipedia entry for Tamir Rice has only one item in the "reactions" subsection. No, not the protests, or the lawsuits, or the national conversation about etc etc. The Bors "be a white person now" cartoon.

The internet moves in hella mysterious ways, is all I'm saying.

• Locked thread