Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

did you know that 2/2 cats agree that a rubber duck wifi antenna with 3 feet of rg178 is the best toy ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
100K is a bit much for I2C pullups, isn't it?

In other, TOTALLY unrelated news, TIL what an "SCR latch-up" is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

single switches larger phones are cool
last one I held was larger than a hockey puck

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

single switches larger phones are cool
last one I held was larger than a hockey puck

how'd you implement a markov chain in a resource constrained environment?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i know everyone's waiting with baited breath to see my choice for a binary wire encoding

im liking protobuf-over-REST, theres a tiny pb in c implementation that's playing nice with my code https://github.com/nanopb/nanopb aside from optionals/repeated requiring a callback being a little goofy

prepping for a presentation and playing amateur ML has been sucking up my time tho

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

0fc00000
13c00000
0fe0084b
0fc00000
13c00000
0fe0164c
0fc00000
13e0164c
13c00000
0fe0184d

WHERE ARE THE GODDAMN HEADER/TRAILER MARKERS AFGASGASDGCXZV

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

100K is a bit much for I2C pullups, isn't it?

In other, TOTALLY unrelated news, TIL what an "SCR latch-up" is

yes and lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wasn't me who designed it (i'm the firmware guy not the hardware guy) but it was me who was told to fix the problem

thankfully i had the option of asking somebody who actually knows what the gently caress when it comes to electronics

i did hook up a scope to the i2c bus though and uhhhhh yeah even i could tell that something was up

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the thing about i2c is that there is no magic resistor value that will always work, but 100k is insanely weak. 4k7 is a good starting point, but it might not work depending on a number of factors that would be comparatively difficult to model when you could just pick a resistor footprint, order a PCB and try it out.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

1-10k will be fine basically whenever unless your doin something weird

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or just use spi like a decent human being

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
brotherman if i was the one designing these boards then lemme tell you there is a whole heck of a lot of stuff i'd have done differently

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so be the one designing them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or at least the one calling for design reviews where you browbeat the designers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the plan was

1. design some poo poo
2. hire some poor bastard (me) to actually make it work

tbf it could be a lot worse (STM8 isn't ARM but at least it isn't loving Microchip and it's a lot better than AVR because it has a flat 16-bit address space) but all of this poo poo is low-volume and yet the bom cost is supposedly super important and yet there's all sorts of useless and very expensive components all over these boards. like every single one of them ships with a big chunky debug connector as opposed to idk just using pogos like a sane person. who the hell ships populated debug connectors to end users i mean wtf people. or the aforementioned 1.5F supercap which i don't even know what the gently caress it's doing there but it can't be cheap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

but avr is cool and good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
itym bad and fail

$1 Cortex-M0 chips exist and you're still voluntarily using something with colored pointers (something something peripheral emancipation #eepromlivesmatter)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk atmel studio is a cool and good tool and idgaf about bom

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

altho we are using more arm poo poo lately & ive been cursed to fpgas for the rest of eternity it seems

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
man you really care about what ide you're using over and above the C compiler not being a $10,000 piece of poo poo?

I know AVR has a passable GCC port which is what Atmel Studio uses iirc but not all legacy micros do

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
its fun to do a professional googlin' and end up on avrfreaks trying to puzzle out what some arduino script kiddie did to get atmel parts to play nice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

man you really care about what ide you're using over and above the C compiler not being a $10,000 piece of poo poo?

I know AVR has a passable GCC port which is what Atmel Studio uses iirc but not all legacy micros do

vs janitoring together my own toolchain? yeah i prefer to just run atmel studio and have poo poo work out of the box

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

the plan was

1. design some poo poo
2. hire some poor bastard (me) to actually make it work

tbf it could be a lot worse (STM8 isn't ARM but at least it isn't loving Microchip and it's a lot better than AVR because it has a flat 16-bit address space) but all of this poo poo is low-volume and yet the bom cost is supposedly super important and yet there's all sorts of useless and very expensive components all over these boards. like every single one of them ships with a big chunky debug connector as opposed to idk just using pogos like a sane person. who the hell ships populated debug connectors to end users i mean wtf people. or the aforementioned 1.5F supercap which i don't even know what the gently caress it's doing there but it can't be cheap

lol do you work with me in a slightly different alternate universe?

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
anybody have DDR3 layout experience? at what point are you supposed to do simulations on signal integrity?

because with four memory controllers, each with 72 bit 16GB dual rank SODIMMs running at 800 MHz I think we're way past the point of "we did length matching so everything should work out of the box" . I can barely get this poo poo stable at 600 MHz and thats with pure guesswork on a billion memory controller parameters. So far I think I have found the best input terminations/output drive strengths and maybe found an address/command to clock skew issue that can be compensated for in the FPGA. but appart from a good memory test design I'm basically blind since I don't even have access to a differential probe for measurements.

this Hyperlynx tool looks really neat but we don't have the money or experience for that.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

not specific to that but we would've started simulating a parallel interface like that around 750 MHz ago

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

AUGH CLOCK DOMAINS

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

karasu posted:

anybody have DDR3 layout experience? at what point are you supposed to do simulations on signal integrity?

because with four memory controllers, each with 72 bit 16GB dual rank SODIMMs running at 800 MHz I think we're way past the point of "we did length matching so everything should work out of the box" . I can barely get this poo poo stable at 600 MHz and thats with pure guesswork on a billion memory controller parameters. So far I think I have found the best input terminations/output drive strengths and maybe found an address/command to clock skew issue that can be compensated for in the FPGA. but appart from a good memory test design I'm basically blind since I don't even have access to a differential probe for measurements.

this Hyperlynx tool looks really neat but we don't have the money or experience for that.

DDR2+ basically requires field solvers with IBIS models, there's no real way to make a good layout otherwise, using one integrated with the layout software would be the best choice since you don't have to change tools (gonna cost a good :10bux: or so)

biggest wtf moment is when you realize the speed difference between outer and inner layers adds up to several centimeters length difference

karasu
Jan 3, 2008

longview posted:

DDR2+ basically requires field solvers with IBIS models, there's no real way to make a good layout otherwise, using one integrated with the layout software would be the best choice since you don't have to change tools (gonna cost a good :10bux: or so)

biggest wtf moment is when you realize the speed difference between outer and inner layers adds up to several centimeters length difference

What our layout team did was calculate the traversal speed of the different signal layers and make a big spreadsheet which lists the lengths that each signal spends on every plane and calculate the combined delay. Then they added detours for some signals so that all the signals of a group have the same delay. We're using Altium which has signal integrity functionality but nobody used it. I joined the project when the first boards were already in the house, otherwise I would have freaked out with this workflow like our FAE did.

But so far it seems to be working out, at least after a lot of trial and error with the memory controller parameters. The crucial thing to get was that most of the parameters in the memory controller do not actually influence the FPGA pins but are there for timing analysis/sign off only. I must have tried like 40 permutations of the ones that matter though like slew rate, input impedance, drive strength, clock to address delay and on chip termination at both the SODIMM and FPGA. I probably could have gotten the sweet spot of all of these much quicker with simulations rather than with 50 minute turnaround time test designs. But I have never done these simulations either.

Also fitting requirements are insane for these larger FPGAs. Every time I compile I get a warning that my workstation has "only" 64 GB of ram rather than the recommended 128.

Bloody posted:

AUGH CLOCK DOMAINS

tell me about the clock domains.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they are plentiful and crossed often

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
digital designers have a deep hatred of clock domain crossings. some hate them so much that they will completely ignore implementing the main feature of a module in order to not have to deal with them.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
here is a halloween tip that you can try at work, instead of "BOO!" scare a digital designer by saying "CDC!"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol idk how you would like do things without crossing a clock domain every once in a while

at least mine are mostly phase locked with each other and most of my boundaries are entirely handled by IP cores

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah i'm not a digital designer so idkwtf i'm talking about really but i work with them and they talk about CDC's like they are this insurmountable problem. stuff like - no no no we had to synchronize that async clock input because clock domain crossings.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
its super fun to try debugging an issue that has a async dependency

making a crossing is easy enough, gray code read/write pointers are guaranteed to settle valid. making one deterministic is ride

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
if you have to make it deterministic and the phases aren't at least locked you're in a lot of trouble for sure

the real joy of cdc is fixing designs done by people who didn't understand cdc. production designs. that somehow kiiiinda work reliably enough to make people think it's good. :suicide:

(the fix was to write all new rtl for the whole data path because gently caress fixing that, cdc was far from the only prob with it)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a heisenbug in my verilog

gently caress

fastest, most efficient course of action is probably "throw out the entire project and start over from scratch"

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
"throw it out and start over" is what they did for this one module that didn't work, the redesign didn't work so they threw that one out too, then they did it another time. maybe the fourth time will be different!!

tbqh tho i don't think the designers are really to blame, there are other issues at play

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 20, 2015

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

i have a heisenbug in my verilog

same but C

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
last time I had a fpga heisenbug it was a synthesis / optimization bug which would go away when I added logic analyzer cores connected to the problem signals. turned out this was due to my habit of slamming don't optimize constraints on signals I want to run into an analyzer (lol if u can even find what you want to look at otherwise). light dawned when I tried leaving the debug cores out and there was no prob, removed the no opt constraints and bug was back

always be suspecting the toolchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
remember that time somebody autogenerated a clockless FPGA to distinguish between two tones and it had a bunch of poo poo in the corner that wasn't connected to anything and if you took that stuff out or changed the ambient temperature significantly it didn't work any more

• Locked thread