Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

Anyone else follow kojima on twitter? The scamp keeps tweeting about media he is consuming and their 3rd parts. Like he randomly talks about true detective season 2 episode 3, talks about getting the killing on dvd and mentions there was no season 3. Talks about c3po's red arm in vol 3 of this star wars mag. :tinfoil:

Didn't he say we played MGS V and not MGS 5

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ImpAtom posted:

So has a single "Kojima hinted at it on his twitter" thing actually come to pass?

well he did retweet this: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CRB077rUcAAFtvr.mp4

love can bloom on the battlefield.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nakar posted:

The Blast Arm running punch destroys the radio on C2W and pump tank on Pitch Dark without breaking No Traces. I now have the highest legit score on Pitch Dark PC.

If we can figure out the minigun on 12 and Quiet supply drops on 45, only [SUBSISTENCE] C2W will remain.

Does it have to be the Blast Arm? It can't be any bionic arm punch?

Edit: whoops, probably should have checked to see if I was at the bottom first.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Blast Arm punches to the legs do damage Sahelanthropus (I even tested it in 31 where it has a health bar). However even if you disable Sahelanthropus in some fashion during the end sequence of Hellbound (it'll start twitching and stop moving around), it always reappears to jump at the chopper and not shooting it will result in a failure. Pequod cannot survive it even with maxed armor. If there's a way to disable it entirely or prevent it from attacking the chopper then maybe, or if shooting the minigun a particular way doesn't count (shoot only at Sahelanthropus itself perhaps, not the white doodads?), then maybe No Traces is possible. Otherwise I dunno.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I was ashamed of my words and deeds

I wasn't

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't he say we played MGS V and not MGS 5

peace walker is 5

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snak posted:

This is the least-dramatic way to find this out!

This is the worst!

That is still the best Metal Gear Solid V video I have ever seen.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speedball posted:

That is still the best Metal Gear Solid V video I have ever seen.

Link pls? I only just started reading this thread this week, and I had no idea what that guy was talking about.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

marauderthirty posted:

Link pls? I only just started reading this thread this week, and I had no idea what that guy was talking about.

It's two, actually, but the second one is a bit more awesome and is the one Snak is quoting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNaUiaGRxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYM-vPKyxfA

"Say Hi to Shadow Jesus for me, you son of a bitch!"

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
:ocelot: That is incredible. My belly hurts from laughing

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mine did too the first time I saw it.

gently caress it, I need to boot this game back up and try the "clear an entire outpost by strapping enough C4 to these men to blow them to Kingdom gently caress."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are only now discovering the Youtube treasure that is Dunkey? :allears:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This man's mind... has been torn in two!

(^yes, he is new to me)

The way he cracks up as he says "this is the worst" gets me every time.

Don't you be movin'!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snak posted:

This man's mind... has been torn in two!

(^yes, he is new to me)

The way he cracks up as he says "this is the worst" gets me every time.

Don't you be movin'!

"Now, Franklin, I hope we all learned a valuable lesson here. oh, he's going for it, he's going for it..."

His MGS1 video was pretty good too.

"This is the greatest handgun ever made." "THE DESERT EAGLE."

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nakar posted:

Just run out the door right away, and loop around. Puppets cannot alert so their notice markers are irrelevant, only being spotted by a Skull Sniper will break No Traces once you've gotten to Code Talker.

I never knew this, that changes everything!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

"Now, Franklin, I hope we all learned a valuable lesson here. oh, he's going for it, he's going for it..."

His MGS1 video was pretty good too.

"This is the greatest handgun ever made." "THE DESERT EAGLE."

You're that ninja.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
finished mission 46 finally. 129 hours and i still have like 5 of the harder missions to finish. :|

that said, i'm like half sure that the original twist was that the medic is grey fox and kojima freaked out once he found out people figured it all out after the first two trailers and then changed it all. medic is the best soldier, most trusted and when you finish the truth mission, you get grey fox emblem rewards and the loving grey fox suit. :| the whole hand/fingers in front of face thing venom does in various older promo images. kojima even tweeted a photo once of the venom action figure doing the same hand pose in front of grey fox doing the same pose. :|

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 13, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Venom and Gray Fox are still the same person. Somehow. Stranger things have happened.

Edit: Also, I speculated the week before launch that Big Boss's arm from MGSV would end up being used as part of Gray Fox's body.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I wanted the grey fox suit to be a proper grey fox suit not a loving ps1 callback, eurgh.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Grey Fox doesn't get his body hosed up until MG2, so no the medic was never planned to be Grey Fox.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

the text does not support it

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
kojima avoids anything to do with portable ops like the plague so grey fox will always be some weird kid that zero thought was cool, and then had genetically modified or whatever bullshit it was

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ocelot should have given you goddamn Zadornov's hand. Why is it yellow in teh boat cutscene and then red.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Grey Fox is still a seperate entity in MGS1 and MGS2 so it wouldn't make any loving sense

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm watching pulp fiction now and I cannot believe Phil Lamar is Vamp lmao

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Grey Fox's back story is already a big mess. I don't think Kojima can do anything but make it worse by shoving him into another game.

Kojima needs to be free of MGS already. He wants to write good games, but every game he makes has to fit into a canon that started before most players were born.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Modest Mao posted:

Ocelot should have given you goddamn Zadornov's hand. Why is it yellow in teh boat cutscene and then red.

I assume they painted it, Modest Mao.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Grey Fox's back story is already a big mess. I don't think Kojima can do anything but make it worse by shoving him into another game.

Kojima needs to be free of MGS already. He wants to write good games, but every game he makes has to fit into a canon that started before most players were born.

Good news! He is free of it!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MGSV ends with Kojima spitting on the entire concept of canon as it is.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Onmi posted:

Good news! He is free of it!

Yeah but it cost us Silent Hills :(

If only somebody had told Kojima not to use that monkey paw

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Captain Novolin posted:

kojima avoids anything to do with portable ops like the plague so grey fox will always be some weird kid that zero thought was cool, and then had genetically modified or whatever bullshit it was

Does that mean Ken-from-Streer-Fighter-Roy Campbell is still canon?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

One Zadornov's was a right hand, and two it's incomplete in the cutscene (missing a finger), they finished it and painted it during the trip

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
painting it is literal head cannon lmao

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Kojima is a good director but there's some serious dumb writing in this game, plot wise. Better than other games where the dialogue was so loving bad, I guess.

hth

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Do you remember when Jack (Big Boss) has counted every second since he's last seen the boss and she retorts, over codec, that his voice has changed and she can tell he lost 3 pounds since like 15 years prior when they last spoke

cause that's some loving garbage

it's literally writing on the level of that sherlock show where sherlock hears a cell phone ring in the room and deduces that the waiter's wife is going into labor somehow

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sigh.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Someone in the main thread posted that they had a doofy fan theory that MGSV is actually set in the 90s or something. whoever that was post it now i wanna read it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if MGSV was a video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Someone in the main thread posted that they had a doofy fan theory that MGSV is actually set in the 90s or something. whoever that was post it now i wanna read it

I already did. It wasn't very exciting. gimme a second and I'll link the relevant posts.

edit: or just quote them w/e

Snak posted:

So, as I was first playing MGSV, and there was all this forshadowing of things not being what they seemed, I started to form some crazy theories about what the twist was going to be.

The crux of these are

* Ocelot is not Ocelot. He is an impostor. He is one of the variables designed to convince Venom that he is Big Boss.
* Miller is actually Liquid, which leads us too
* It's not 1984. The walkman, all of the music, all of this is immersion therapy to help reinforce the delusion programmed into Venom that he is Big Boss and it is the 1980s.
* Actually it is 1991. Liquid is using Venom to recruit for the Genome Army
* You aren't fighting the soviets. You aren't in Afghanistan. It's Gulf War 1. Venom has been made to believe that he is fighting Soviet forces in Afghanistan, when actually he is fighting American forces in Iraq.
* Skull Face is Big Boss, post MG2 toasting

Turns out I'm just an idiot.

Snak posted:

yeah, I mean, Ocelot carrying some dumb shotgun upside-down revolver instead of a SAA is like a dead giveaway.

My original crazy theory was similar but hinged entirely on my forgetting that Liquids body was without a doubt 100% recovered after Shadow Moses.

I wanted venom to be the pilot of Liquid's Hind, shot down by solid snake, Liquid, alive, missing his arm (which had gone to Ocelot) is filled with rage and knows that BB is alive as Skull Face. In order to take down Skull Face, Liquid needs to create a soldier as good as Big Boss, so he creates this elaborate set up to recreate the events of Big Bosses life post GZ helicopter crash in the pilot from his Hind, who was also in a helicopter crash, obviously.

This all fell apart when I remembered that Liquid's body was used by Solid Snake to fake his death.

But it actually being like 2005 (9 years after Shadow Moses) would have accounted for Sahelanthropus being a relatively advanced Metal Gear, compared to REX.

Completely seperate from these related theories, near the end game, I started speculating that XOF did not exist at all, Skull Face was entirely a delusion originating from seeing the burn corpse of another FOX operative in the hospital in a mirror, reversing the FOX patch. This didn't really make much sense either.

Needless to say I was very underwhelmed at how vanilla and telegraphed the "twist" was. "ur not big boss but really you are an everything else is as it seems" was kind of a let-down, after how crazy literally every other game is.

MGS1 - Miller is Liquid is your Brother?!
MGS2 - lol the whole game
MGS3 - Ocelot is the Boss's son, Ocelot was the American agent all a long, EVA was an agent for the Chinese
MGS4 - ???
MGSV - you guessed it from the first 10 minutes of the game.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 13, 2015

• Locked thread