Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
fault milestone one is half off this week, so do check it out. It is the first part of an episodic series (it's going to be a long one, it seems), but it's actually a very satisfying read. The world is well-developed, the story is engaging, the presentation is top-notch and everything gets even better in fault milestone two.

It got a :staredog: out of me several times, in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Samurai posted:

Eeeeugh, I dunno about that. Mass Effect is more tuned and had better gameplay, but the Witcher was way deeper and had much better writing. And if you're just talking about on PC, the Mass Effect port is a mountain of rear end.

I played ME on PC and didn't notice any issues at the time, though I don't think I played it immediately when it was ported so it could have been patched or something. I wasn't able to progress very for in Witcher 1 mainly because I didn't like the way the game played. Gameplay wise Witcher 1 was terrible, and a lot of people say that the game was good, but you had to wade through some pretty horrid mechanics to get there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Comparing Witcher 2 and Skyrim? Bahaha.

That's not even a contest, Skyrim might give you a lot of freedom but there's ultimately not much to do and the writing is god awful.
Witcher 2 is more contained and linear but I found it so much more rewarding to play.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

I think that the gameplay in both of those games was way better. Mass Effect 1's writing wasn't superb or anything, but I'd much rather play that than trying to work with the combat system in The Witcher.

I don't understand this post. Shouldn't the better game be the one that you enjoyed playing more?

But since we were originally talking about "best in that year" anyway (Mass Effect 2 came out a year earlier than Witcher 2), the better comparison might be Witcher 2 and Skyrim. And I think that those are pretty much on par with each other; The Witcher 2 had more complex systems, but Skyrim gave the player more agency. And if you include mods, I'd say that Skyrim is the better game overall

e: And I say that despite disliking the trend toward massive open world environments

Skyrim is inch-deep mile wide. It has gently caress all legitimate agency. I can walk two days east and experience the same lovely quests and dungeons and poorly written dialog as had I walked two days west. Whoop-de-loving-doo.

Witcher was more unique and interesting, and the combat gameplay was far more challenging and enjoyable. it stayed fresh much longer.

As for the confusion, I can read a one book (or watch a movie), and enjoy it on a surface level more consistently than another book, but that other book can provide more insight or challenge me in ways that also provide levels of enjoyment that may not reach the peaks of the former. Similar for the occasional game - just substitute systems and gameplay and poorer writing.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Get this: Skyrim and the Witcher 2 are both good games that don't need to be compared to each other!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blattdorf posted:

fault milestone one is half off this week, so do check it out. It is the first part of an episodic series (it's going to be a long one, it seems), but it's actually a very satisfying read. The world is well-developed, the story is engaging, the presentation is top-notch and everything gets even better in fault milestone two.

It got a :staredog: out of me several times, in a good way.

Thanks for the recommendation. I like the idea of visual novels but I'm always hesitant to buy them without review since a lot of the ones that avoid creepy bullshit just aren't very interesting.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Istarted selling all my excess bundle crap on G2A yesterday and they've asked for verification* for a surprisingly large number of them. I doubt this stops sellers from duping them because photoshop exists, but they seem to be taking token measures to combat fraud. Small comfort for those who have been scammed though, I feel for thee.

*Screenshot of purchase receipt, or X bundle account library

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Tracking info on Steam Controllers and/or Steam Links should be updating today. I just got the notice for mine being in FedEx's hands about 20 minutes ago.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Creativerse is free on Steam for a week. Has anyone here played it? I used to be big into Minecraft but over time I got sick of the weak combat and performance issues.

I was wondering if Creativerse was an improvement.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I want to stream non-steam game from one computer to another or TV, what is a good alternative then to using the Steam client?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has Orvs opinion on Huniepop stayed the same?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

I said come in! posted:

If I want to stream non-steam game from one computer to another or TV, what is a good alternative then to using the Steam client?

If you have an nvidia gpu there's something like that built into the geforce experience now. It was meant for the Nvidia Shield but people got it working on other devices. It's been renamed a couple times and now is called moonlight.

http://moonlight-stream.com/

edit: Unless things have changed you can just tell the geforce experience to use a game exe and it'll work with that. I was able to stream pscx2 to my fire tv back when the program was still called limelight.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 12, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

havenwaters posted:

If you have an nvidia gpu there's something like that built into the geforce experience now. It was meant for the Nvidia Shield but people got it working on other devices. It's been renamed a couple times and now is called moonlight.

http://moonlight-stream.com/

This is perfect, I got a Nvidia 970 GTX the other day and had been reading about how it has some streaming features built into its drivers and software.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

I said come in! posted:

This is perfect, I got a Nvidia 970 GTX the other day and had been reading about how it has some streaming features built into its drivers and software.

The biggest issues are that there's always going to be hardware latency when decoding on your device and PC to PC is still in beta.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2505510

Basically on android anything with qualcomm chipsets will have up to 50 ms hardware latency before you take your network into account.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

You know you can stream non-steam games over steam right? Just add it as a nonsteam game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you can also try nvidia's gameshare stream thing, it works pretty well for networked 'local co-op' as well as long as both clients have good connections

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love Witcher 3 and ejoyed Witcher 2 but I thought Witcher 1 sucked. It was really janky and the combat was a chore. It also took its sweet time to make the story interesting. At one point I just gave up on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Palpek posted:

I love Witcher 3 and ejoyed Witcher 2 but I thought Witcher 1 sucked. It was really janky and the combat was a chore. It also took its sweet time to make the story interesting. At one point I just gave up on it.

It was the swamp, wasn't it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I liked Witcher 1, but I played it when it had first come out and the nearest competition was Neverwinter Nights 1, and it utterly demolished that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
gently caress whoever thought The Disciplined King from Our Darker Purpose was a good idea for a boss. Almost every time I've encountered him, my run is over.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

I trusted you Palpek...

I TRUSTED YOU LIKE A BROTHER

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
I got Witcher 1 free from GOG a couple of years back, and couldn't bring myself to get out of the first area. Then I got Witcher 2 and I thought I'd try 1 again before I started 2, so I started a new file. I still couldn't be bothered past the first area. It ain't for me. That's my Witcher 1 story I hope you enjoyed it

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just ended up watching LPs of Witcher 1 and 2 before playing 3, and nothing has really made me regret that decision.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
G2A, bastion of reasonable and responsible business people. Not at all filled with money launderers, credit card thieves and scammers.

quote:

(From PC Gamer)
Earlier this week, Riot Games asked teams sponsored by game key reseller G2A to remove the company's logo from their merchandise at the 2015 League of Legends World Championship, as a result of G2A's ongoing sales of leveled LoL accounts and Elo boosts.

quote:

(G2A's Press Release)
G2A.COM would like to hear from e-sports fans the world over directly concerning the sudden heavy handed and potentially damaging behavior of US based company, Riot who launched an aggressive attack directed towards the entire global e-sports community in a failed attempt to dominate and control the industry. G2A has invested over $6 million in e-sport sponsorship since 2014.

Stolen credit cards are used to pay next to nothing on Humble Bundle keys before the cards get closed, which get sold to G2A and other gray market sites, leaving not even a penny to the developers. This has been proven to happen multiple times by many developers that keep track of who they give keys to. If you've ever bought a key from any gray market site and they were invalid or used, this is why. Some developers don't want to give keys for a Humble Bundle again, or for the first time, since they lost over half of their keys to this. And seriously, paying for key insurance? Some scams...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Slate Action posted:

I just ended up watching LPs of Witcher 1 and 2 before playing 3, and nothing has really made me regret that decision.

I thought 2 was pretty good, the story and setting are great and it has solid combat. Witcher 1 however plays like offline World of Warcraft and the story isn't that important anyway, can't really fault anyone for skipping it.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Onean posted:

G2A, bastion of reasonable and responsible business people. Not at all filled with money launderers, credit card thieves and scammers.

Stolen credit cards are used to pay next to nothing on Humble Bundle keys before the cards get closed, which get sold to G2A and other gray market sites, leaving not even a penny to the developers. This has been proven to happen multiple times by many developers that keep track of who they give keys to. If you've ever bought a key from any gray market site and they were invalid or used, this is why. Some developers don't want to give keys for a Humble Bundle again, or for the first time, since they lost over half of their keys to this. And seriously, paying for key insurance? Some scams...

Someone is a salty Riot fanboy

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Don't particularly care for Riot or LoL. If anything, I'm salty about indie developers behind good games getting screwed out of their money.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Maybe Humble Bundle should fix their business model if they're being taken advantage of.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The International was plastered with G2A sponsor logos, if Valve thinks it's OK then it must be!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The International was plastered with G2A sponsor logos, if Valve thinks it's OK then it must be!

Valve supports G2A unless G2A starts their own black-market Hat Laundering site that doesn't give Valve their marketplace cut.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

To continue the book analogy, the Witcher series and all Bioware RPGs are trashy teen romance novels, Elder Scrolls games are enormous coloring books, and Undertale is in the self help section

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gort posted:

I liked Witcher 1, but I played it when it had first come out and the nearest competition was Neverwinter Nights 1, and it utterly demolished that.

The Witcher 1 is literally a massive NWN mod.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What books are the Neptunia games

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Justin_Brett posted:

The light novels in the Manga section of Barnes and Noble.

Onean posted:

Don't particularly care for Riot or LoL. If anything, I'm salty about indie developers behind good games getting screwed out of their money.

I'm just baffled whenever anyone seemingly argues for g2a in a non troll way (i.e. not turlicious). They're so blatantly corrupt. Devolver Digital publicly stopped doing business with them because they had to pay a massive chargeback fee because of all the stealing (g2a claimed they didn't respond to their private messages because they lost the email lol).

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 13, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

ayn rand novels

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Justin_Brett posted:

the trashy young adult novel that you know is bad but you're still reading it and enjoying it anyways

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

The Bible

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Onean posted:

[url=http://esportsobserver.com/g2a-battles-riot-for-e-sports-rights-to-grow/]

quote:

Riot [...] launched an aggressive attack directed towards the entire global e-sports community in a failed attempt to dominate and control the industry

Can't you see, everyone? G2A is the poor misunderstood underdog who is actually fighting for your rights and against the corruption of companies like Riot! Do your patriotic duty and buy at G2A now!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to thank you for posting that article because I've been reading this thread on my phone and I couldn't figure out what G2A stood for. I kept substituting in Games 2 rear end, but apparently that's wrong. it stands for go 2 arena, what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
G2A's response sounds like it was ad-libbed from Pravda or something. "These pitiful and baseless western sanctions will have no effect!"

• Locked thread