Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dungeon changes are loving stupid, good job Anet.

I might actually do dungeons now that they won't be cookie clicker for gold pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They don't actually get better if you take out the rewards HTH.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:350:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Dorkopotamis posted:

I played world of warcraft for six months at release and then close to a year after the second or third (the one with death knights) expansion and I don't think any of the launch dungeons had changed from launch. I don't think that that's good, it just might be the precedent.

They actually have updated the launch dungeons since then, usually 1-2 with each following expansion. WoW dungeons also served as decent leveling tools and gave better than average gear to help leveling further.

I haven't really done many of the guild wars dungeons so it's hard for me to say what their real purpose ever was other than "Well we have to do dungeons everyone does dungeons."?

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008
Played at launch until not too long after fractals came out. They ever fix how boring the end game was (that being just fractals and grinding)? At the time fractals were kind of a no go for me since I'd have to set aside an hour and a half at a time which was kind of difficult then. What is there to do these days?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

orcane posted:

They don't actually get better if you take out the rewards HTH.

Yeah wtf, they are literally improved in zero ways, it's the same thing but no gold reward...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And that means you're more likely to do PvP or Fractals instead.

Letting that appendage die is painful but they can't lop it off.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just really want to know who's leading ArenaNet around by the nose right now. Why they're pouring so much time and effort into 10 person raids (when the game's combat becomes essentially unreadable after about 3 or 4 people, max) that a slim group of people can actually do while simultaneously dumpstering dungeons and adding basically nothing to Fractals is beyond me. I joke about the game being a hat farming simulator sometimes, but it's really starting to feel like they're pushing in that direction heedlessly for reasons unknown.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Remember when Arenanet was highly against grinding in their games? Welp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lonk posted:

I presume that was before whoever's controlling ArenaNet's resources started pointing at a whiteboard with "INCREASE PROFITS" on it.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The grind has always been there, you've just reached the point where that's all you have left.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is anyone playing this game purely for pve? The dungeons don't seem to be popular, the personal story is meh, what else is there?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lonk posted:

Remember when poopsockers complained about there not being enough end-game grind in their casual MMO for 3 straight years?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shy posted:

Is anyone playing this game purely for pve? The dungeons don't seem to be popular, the personal story is meh, what else is there?

A lot of goons are, the "end game" has become pretty princess simulator and what most people do is collect skins/design/change outfits every so often. Repeat for x amount of classes and races and that right there is quite a bit of time. Coupled with the fact that some skins require a lot of time invested as stated above, means people can be playing for a long period of time.

It's a pretty chill game and most of the long time goons still playing approach the game the same way; people who tend to blaze through content or play in large chunks of time tend to burnout and quit, this game just isn't made for that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's always altaholism, if you haven't played every class / played every race / run out of ideas for pretty princessing yet.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

John Smith is answering a bunch of questions about the economy on the dev tracker.

quote:

Q.
What about dungeon tokens? As it stands, you need ~170 dungeon runs to get the complete armor/weapon skin set. Will they be nerfed as well?
A.
No, they’ll be the same as before.

So there's your answer, people who were speculating about token reward increases.

Also, apparently, it's completely intentional that charged lodestones are worth four times as much as the others :shrug:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
They're really high on fractals, something they haven't added new content to since it launched. (just recycled LS stuff)

This will be Raids in a year, something else will be the big thing they're working on.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

John Smith is answering a bunch of questions about the economy on the dev tracker.

So there's your answer, people who were speculating about token reward increases.

Also, apparently, it's completely intentional that charged lodestones are worth four times as much as the others :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdgfOk0RWw

Arus please update the OP for once, thanks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdgfOk0RWw

Arus please update the OP for once, thanks.

I can't watch this on my awful cell connection, someone vouch for the content of a Lonk Link pls

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Which makes sense considering the most popular legendaries and MF skins require them.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also in case anyone wasn't clear, yes they are actively trying to stop people running dungeons and get them to move over to fractals:

John Smith posted:

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons
Yes

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?
The intention is not entirely to reduce liquid gold earning, we’ll be using up the slack we generate in other locations

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?
Fractals
I'm guessing we'll see the various gold rewards you got for dungeons attached to the daily fractal brackets they talked about.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I've run fractals less than the other dungeons, but ughhhhh the loving hammer fractal.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

The economist posted:

Dungeons will still drop things as well as they will still have some gold, they will just have much less gold.

A small comfort. Hope they decide to greatly increase token rewards.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Lyer posted:

I've run fractals less than the other dungeons, but ughhhhh the loving hammer fractal.
loving colossus fractal is the worst fractal, bar none. And I get it every loving time, which is why I don't do fractals anymore :argh:

Also, from the official forums:

Batelle.1680 posted:

In other news, I'm looking forward to unveiling my The Birds themed ranger at some point in the next couple of years- Nevermore, Falconer's Coat, dual pet birds, raven mini/mail carriers, a full set of Mad King runes, and Hunter's Call spam for days...
Bird, you better step up your game :colbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't watch this on my awful cell connection, someone vouch for the content of a Lonk Link pls

Yes, it is perfect.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Lonk posted:

Were they ever? Because I remember the first game. Anything beyond completing the campaign mission was basically nothing but excessive grinding.

Looking it up, the "Drunkard" title required 10,000 minutes being drunk, though they've changed that to only "10,000 drinks".

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Mizuti posted:

A small comfort. Hope they decide to greatly increase token rewards.

Bird already posted this.

quote:

Q.
What about dungeon tokens? As it stands, you need ~170 dungeon runs to get the complete armor/weapon skin set. Will they be nerfed as well?
A.
No, they’ll be the same as before.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AzureSkye posted:

Bird already posted this.

Which is so goddamn dumb.
Tokens are only good for getting clothes and skins. Just increase it but a fair amount. Who loving cares

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, from the official forums:

Bird, you better step up your game :colbert:

Birds for the bird god. Beaks for the beak throne.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Which is so goddamn dumb.
Tokens are only good for getting clothes and skins. Just increase it but a fair amount. Who loving cares

No! You have to continue to grind the content we want to obsolete!

ALL HAIL FRACTALUS

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This dude is the epitome of sit around with your thumb up your rear end and see what happens and then make up some bullshit and pretend you meant for it to happen after the fact.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also they're not doing any more underwater legendary weapons based on the blog post (explicitly doing 16 new legendaries in batches). RIP in piss, underwater combat.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SlothBear posted:

This dude is the epitome of sit around with your thumb up your rear end and see what happens and then make up some bullshit and pretend you meant for it to happen after the fact.
He's an economist, that's a given.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
John Smith is a super proactive guy, being a jerk because you don't agree with him isn't very cool.

Underwater combat was a cool idea that wasn't as cool in practice, so it's being de-emphasized. This approach to content focus is nothing new but I'm sorry that some of you are upset by that.

:drac:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Underwater combat loving rules and this stupid approach to disincentivising dungeons is just that: loving stupid. There's nothing to gain from it. Sorry Tivac.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I haven't played since like two months into release and jesus loving christ what is any of this.

Relearning mmos is such a pain in the dick.

Is scepter/dagger still awesome for elementalists? Can I still do hilarious amounts of healing with a staff build? If not, that gets rid of some confusion right away cause I can get rid of at least one gear set >.<

NM, just reading and playing. I'LL GET THERE BUT GOD drat

Degs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 13, 2015

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008
I just kinda don't get the reasoning behind the dungeon change. Purposefully throwing a wrench into the works to promote something else? Kinda reminds me of the old system of temporary content, which as I remember people didn't enjoy.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, it seems weird. Especially since the income from dungeons will apparently be spread among other activities, so that would mean it was less about being too much money and more about them... not wanting people to do dungeons.

Edit:
Let me be the first contrarian to say I love underwater combat and regularly mourn its passing. RIP Capricorn :(

Amante fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tivac posted:

Underwater combat was a cool idea that wasn't as cool in practice, so it's being de-emphasized.

Honestly I haven't met a single player who truly unironically enjoys UW combat (inc half a dozen goons posting to disagree with me) so telling your teams "don't bother with a second set of UW legends" makes perfect sense :shrug: People being upset about dungeons is understandable but being mad because there are no new UW legends seems like being contrary just to be contrary.

Also how would you top sharkspear, seriously :cool:

• Locked thread