Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nebiros posted:

As a side note, Husks do the suicide charge on Normal and Hard too. Shoot at them with your pistol for a bit to trigger it, I think it's an HP threshold thing on earlier difficulties. Normal's funny for gimmicks and screwing with pubbies who freak out at the Commando running off alone with just a knife though.

All the Zeds do their special attacks as long as they have a head. With people aiming for headshots on Hard and above a suiciding Husk is a rare sight. Unless you have like 3 firebugs or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How exactly does the online matchmaking work? Is it pulling from some predetermined pool of servers? I've ended up on what seemed to be unofficial servers through mm. After repeatedly ending up on EU servers getting 200+ ping, now I'm getting 0 games with all filters off.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 11, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

President Ark posted:

Demo pistol sucks rear end, whenever I play as demo I use the regular pistol/medic pistol as much as possible and avoid buying ammo for the demo pistol, my goal is to live off of pistols + grenades until I can afford the grenade launcher.

Are you playing on Suicidal and HoE? I still found it pretty useful on Hard mode, one shot can take out a bunch of clots/gorefasts and it also one shots the siren.

Elysiume posted:

I don't even know why I'm trying to use matchmaking, I haven't gotten a server within 3000 miles of me in like six games. Is there some option that I set to EU by mistake?

In any game with matchmaking and a server browser, the server browser is almost always better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does the ricochet effect of the nail gun really do anything? I never can tell if I hit anything with a ricochet. Mind you I'm not trying to matrix it but still.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

verbal enema posted:

Does the ricochet effect of the nail gun really do anything? I never can tell if I hit anything with a ricochet. Mind you I'm not trying to matrix it but still.

It does, but it feels like it does reduced damage or something. I know I've gotten a few kills with a ricochet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The nail gun's ricochet uses the exact same mechanics as bullet piercing does. For those not in the know, bullet piercing works like this: Every gun has a piercing value, and if the value is higher than the piercing resistance of a zed, it will pierce through that zed and reduce its piercing value by an amount equal to that zed's resistance, repeating until it hits a wall or a zed's piercing resistance is equal to/higher than the piercing value of the shot. This also reduces the damage of the bullet by a proportional amount to the missing resistance.

That's a bit complicated, so let's use an example. Let's say your shotgun has 4 Piercing because you're a leveled up Support. Clots have a Resistance of 1, so if you shoot through a clot, it deals 100% damage, drops your Piercing to 3, and keeps going. It hits a second Clot, deals only 75% damage to him because you're at 75% of your maximum Piercing value, drops your Piercing to 2, and keeps going. It hits a third clot, deals 50% damage, drops to 1 Piercing, and continues. It hits a fourth clot, deals 25% damage, and stops there.

The nailgun has Piercing 5, and uses 1 Piercing each time it ricochets off a wall. Its damage mechanics work exactly the same, but the ricochet feature is kind of rad because you can hit the same zed multiple times with a single bullet if the ricochet is favorable. So in a tight corridor, you can cause some crazy damage to a crowd with the shotgun mode, but its pretty unreliable. Still a fun gun.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

gnome7 posted:

The nail gun's ricochet uses the exact same mechanics as bullet piercing does. For those not in the know, bullet piercing works like this: Every gun has a piercing value, and if the value is higher than the piercing resistance of a zed, it will pierce through that zed and reduce its piercing value by an amount equal to that zed's resistance, repeating until it hits a wall or a zed's piercing resistance is equal to/higher than the piercing value of the shot. This also reduces the damage of the bullet by a proportional amount to the missing resistance.

That's a bit complicated, so let's use an example. Let's say your shotgun has 4 Piercing because you're a leveled up Support. Clots have a Resistance of 1, so if you shoot through a clot, it deals 100% damage, drops your Piercing to 3, and keeps going. It hits a second Clot, deals only 75% damage to him because you're at 75% of your maximum Piercing value, drops your Piercing to 2, and keeps going. It hits a third clot, deals 50% damage, drops to 1 Piercing, and continues. It hits a fourth clot, deals 25% damage, and stops there.

The nailgun has Piercing 5, and uses 1 Piercing each time it ricochets off a wall. Its damage mechanics work exactly the same, but the ricochet feature is kind of rad because you can hit the same zed multiple times with a single bullet if the ricochet is favorable. So in a tight corridor, you can cause some crazy damage to a crowd with the shotgun mode, but its pretty unreliable. Still a fun gun.

It's a great addition to Berserker, it adds some chaos at a distance, because if you want something that's reliable, there's ye olde hammer to the face :black101:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kikas posted:

It's a great addition to Berserker, it adds some chaos at a distance, because if you want something that's reliable, there's ye olde hammer to the face :black101:

The shotgun hammer is pretty much the reason I love playing berzerker, aside from how incredibly badass parry-locking a scrake or FP is, of course.

Hell, unless they changed it since putting in the new classes you can party a scrake with the medic scalpel but (and it's the same with any non-berzerker-weapon melee) you take a bit of damage doing it. Still staggers the bastard though.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FAUXTON posted:

The shotgun hammer is pretty much the reason I love playing berzerker, aside from how incredibly badass parry-locking a scrake or FP is, of course.

Hell, unless they changed it since putting in the new classes you can party a scrake with the medic scalpel but (and it's the same with any non-berzerker-weapon melee) you take a bit of damage doing it. Still staggers the bastard though.

They changed it. You need a stronger melee weapon to parry scrakes, FPs, and Hans. The Pulverizer, Zweihander, and the Eviscerator are the only things that can currently parry anything, and even then, nothing can parry the new Red attacks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I find that I prefer the Hammer to the Zwei, since it's faster. It feels much less unwieldy in play.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
RED ATTACKS

those suck

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gnome7 posted:

They changed it. You need a stronger melee weapon to parry scrakes, FPs, and Hans. The Pulverizer, Zweihander, and the Eviscerator are the only things that can currently parry anything, and even then, nothing can parry the new Red attacks.

Red attacks meaning when the FP flashes red?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FAUXTON posted:

Red attacks meaning when the FP flashes red?

Nah, the boss enemies (scrake, FP, hans) have some attacks where their weapons are highlighted red like they're on fire.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

President Ark posted:

Nah, the boss enemies (scrake, FP, hans) have some attacks where their weapons are highlighted red like they're on fire.

GLOWING WITH ANGER

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I really don't like the Hans fight. He's a bullet sponge and will happily bring you from 100% to dead in a few hits with his melees. He's fast enough that positioning isn't as effective as it should be. e: Also his breathing is super gross.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 12, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Elysiume posted:

I really don't like the Hans fight. He's a bullet sponge and will happily bring you from 100% to dead in a few hits with his melees. He's fast enough that positioning isn't as effective as it should be. e: Also his breathing is super gross.

I hope we get Patty back at some point. Maybe on final release.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

gnome7 posted:

I was parrying Han's red attacks with the Eviscerator, although instead of stumbling, the subsequent hits he swung just did no damage. It might just be a bug or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Parrying red attacks will still reduce damage, though I don't think it is supposed to reduce it completely.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yeah, to clarify the red "cannot be parried" attacks can still be mitigated and damage is reduced, you just can't put the ZED in a constant state of stumbling around looking like an rear end in a top hat while your entire team unloads into their rear end while they're doing exactly zero damage.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What if like, doors came back, but once ever 3 waves or something like that?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I never liked welding doors in KF1 because the welded door would inevitably be forgotten about and then there would be surprise Zeds up the butt. I was probably just playing with bad people, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Well the issue with eternal doors in KF1 was less that they made the game easy. There were a good half dozen ways to make the game easy, so a Support welding a door was nothing new or special.

The issue was that it frequently boiled down to 5 guys clicking on zeds and having fun while one guy held mouse 1 down on a door and wondered to himself why the gently caress he chose this for himself.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What if like, doors came back, but once ever 3 waves or something like that?

I fully support this idea. I thought it was supposed to be like that since there a lot of places where Zeds have to go through several doors to get to the players, especially in Biotics Lab. So you'd weld one door for one wave, the second set for the other one, then man up for the 3rd wave and then the doors respawn. This might lead to some more camping, but it can't be a problem of either "useless welding, no camping" or "working welding, full on camp", there's got to be that magic spot where it works. Maybe make only the Big Zeds kill doors completely? That way welding could be at least used at the start of the game to funnel trash into bigger groups for more effective clearing.
Hell, that might make people take the Demo welding perHAHAHahahha not unless it's paired against something less essential then Siren Resistance.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nobody likes the Hans fight.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I hope we get Patty back at some point. Maybe on final release.

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that the Patriarch is coming back, and people have datamined stuff pointing to a third boss called the Matriarch.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

When is the next update I wanna shoot pistoles. :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Require More Fire posted:

I never liked welding doors in KF1 because the welded door would inevitably be forgotten about and then there would be surprise Zeds up the butt. I was probably just playing with bad people, though.

The same thing happens in KF2.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Elysiume posted:

This times a million. Entire 6-man team down to pistol rounds some matches

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kaincypher posted:

This times a million. Entire 6-man team down to pistol rounds some matches

And he looks like resident evil movie poo poo.
Well I'm enjoying the game way more on hard. Clots do poo poo!
Welded doors need a new factor.
Alarms, traps, dot fire aoe, something they feel like an afterthought still.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I really don't like the Hans fight. He's a bullet sponge

If you don't buy 2 or 3 extra primary guns & medic pistols and toss them around the area you intend to fight him in, you're doing it wrong.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Flipswitch posted:

When is the next update I wanna shoot pistoles. :(

December. Merry Christmas.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

closeted republican posted:

The same thing happens in KF2.

Eh, welding is even more pointless in KF2 because doors have an invisible Total Health number which blows up the door upon depletion. Door could be at 100% welding integrity and still blow up on you which is loving stupid.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Junkie Disease posted:

And he looks like resident evil movie poo poo.
Well I'm enjoying the game way more on hard. Clots do poo poo!
Welded doors need a new factor.
Alarms, traps, dot fire aoe, something they feel like an afterthought still.

Demolitionist has a skill that makes welded doors explode when broken, but welding is still kind of secondary even on higher difficulties.

You'll find even more to like as you level up your perks and advance in difficulty. Suicidal is my personal favorite difficulty.

New favorite Firebug loadout: FT with the Medic AR. Plenty of ammo, strong against most enemies, and I can pitch in when the berserker gets surrounded by fleshpounds.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Looking forward to the new forest map with that uneven looking terrain that zeds will constanly be shooting up into the air to climb over because pathing around obstacles is for nerds.

Also very happy with them making the alternative pistol ironsights something you can toggle, they just need to add that second flashlight to the offhand pistol now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

thejacob posted:

Looking forward to the new forest map with that uneven looking terrain that zeds will constanly be shooting up into the air to climb over because pathing around obstacles is for nerds.

I think this is my biggest complaint with this game right now. It was annoying in KF1 and I'm surprised it's still a problem. I think part of the it is that they just change elevation so fast, its almost like they teleport.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Weir was an awesome level in KF1. I hope this new forest level lives up to it

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Weir was an awesome level in KF1. I hope this new forest level lives up to it

That's a wyred way to spell it. But seriously, the forest level from the sample photo looks unusually bright or maybe rainy, so it probably won't match in terms of atmosphere.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Wyre was one of the few KF1 levels that I found actually scary, especially if you got split from your squad. The only other one like that, for me, was Farm.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Require More Fire posted:

Wyre was one of the few KF1 levels that I found actually scary, especially if you got split from your squad. The only other one like that, for me, was Farm.

Farm was hands down my favorite KF1 map. It feels like small patches of defensible territory in a huge and terrifying landscape which conveniently hides approaching zeds (those corn stalks!). I'd love a remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Farm would be great with the KF2 lighting system. Think about how dark Catacombs gets and then imagine Farm like that. Just out in the field by the bonfire with just enough light to illuminate a few feet around you. :ohdear: