Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Looks too good to be real. Wonder how much a black NC club sport would cost me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Sweet, I'll be there. Is this a make up date or something?

Rad car.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

kimbo305 posted:

Looks too good to be real. Wonder how much a black NC club sport would cost me.

Well as Clubs are only NC3's, probably 18k+

Double post combo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GEMorris posted:

Sweet, I'll be there. Is this a make up date or something?

Rad car.

Nah, one of the autox VPs found a lot and reached out to the owners and they were receptive. Going to be a short sub-30s course, but it's in town.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Hey GEMorris, there's going to be an autox in Cary on Nov 8.

Also,

Lol you can barely see it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey man, I ain't gonna let no girlfriends or bikers ruin my picture. :v:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Holy crap the price of NC1's has cratered over the last three months. If you want a cheap convertible with modern conveniences, I highly recommend picking one up.

(If you have the means, grab an NC2, but the NC1's are value town right now)
I've been saying for a while now that the NC is the 996 of Miatas. They will depreciate far more than the other three generations ever will. I've seen sub-5k non-salvage title manual transmission NCs with less than 100k on the clock on ebay. Go up to 5-6k and you can get one without even trying.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Grrr Mazda for not allowing you to option the factory LSD with the Grand Touring ND. :argh:

The GT has all the daily niceties that would make the car a livable DD, but the Club has all the proper sporty bits.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The pumpkin is like $650 from Mazdaspeed. You just need to provide the 8 hours of labor disassembling the rear of the car. :v:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
It is super annoying that they correctly identified the two primary groups of Miata buyers, targeted what they each most commonly buy, and for some reason left the people in the overlapping part of the venn diagram out in the cold.

Oh well, they're likely to fix it next year (and add the PRHT) so in four years I'll likely pick up a '17.

As much as the nc1 is a legit deal, every time I see the unpadded center console and the protruding cupholders in the door, I'm not sure Id be happy with it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Oh well, they're likely to fix it next year (and add the PRHT) so in four years I'll likely pick up a '17.

Is there any real evidence for a PRHT ND in the pipe?

If Mazda offers a true fully-loaded PRHT with all the features of the Club and the GT (or at the very least a GT + LSD) then I literally have nothing stopping me from buying an ND. It baffles me that they don't even offer it as a $$$ option. Mazda, I so badly want to give you money but you're busting my balls here.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm pretty sure there was no evidence of the NC PRHT until they announced the 07 updates.

Seems like a lot of money left on the table if they don't.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Any sort of hardtop is an inevitability. Just hang out, be cool; there will be one.

I've only seen two other NDs. Saw one up near the Cherohala Skyway in Reflex Blue.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Phone posted:

Any sort of hardtop is an inevitability. Just hang out, be cool; there will be one.

I've only seen two other NDs. Saw one up near the Cherohala Skyway in Reflex Blue.

Deals gap in a new miata, that seems like a nice day

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Chriskory posted:

Deals gap in a new miata, that seems like a nice day

More like wheel gap amirite?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Come say that to my face, you filthy NC (in NC) owner.

E: I'm just messin'

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 14, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Car still looks good, better than mine, and personally I think my config is the best looking NC you can get.

(That angle makes the rear wheels look tiny and the wheel gap large)

I'd suggest getting together but there's nowhere to drive in the triangle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just cut the springs yo, that poo poo needs to be flush

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

leica posted:

Just cut the springs yo, that poo poo needs to be flush

To be fair my car is probably going to look worse when I swap out the eibachs the PO installed for the FM springs that sit higher.

Anyone here ever dove into sperging out about NC bumpstops? I think the PO may have cut them or used the short FCM stops which could be part of my rubbing problem.

I can't tell without destroying my boots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My brakes have been acting funny lately, whenever I come to a stop, it gets harder to push the pedal the further it goes in, almost like I start out with power and end up with manual brakes. Any ideas wtf? I just recently replaced the pads/rotors and flushed the fluid, only thing I can think of is the booster failing or something.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

My brakes have been acting funny lately, whenever I come to a stop, it gets harder to push the pedal the further it goes in, almost like I start out with power and end up with manual brakes. Any ideas wtf? I just recently replaced the pads/rotors and flushed the fluid, only thing I can think of is the booster failing or something.

On various non-miatas I have had stuck slide pins make the brakes feel all different kinds of weird, but I guess you looked those over when replacing the pads&rotors. A vacuum leak in the brake booster (or the hose connected to it) seems pretty plausible though.

A friend had a crack in the brake booster diaphragm. It made a pretty distinctive "hissing" noise as soon as the brake pedal was pressed. Couldn't hear it while driving, but easily heard with hood open.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My 01s radio antenna is both huge and gets terrible reception when near power lines. Repeatedly clipping low hanging branches probably isn't helping. Are any of those short fixed antenna any good?

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 15, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ionn posted:

On various non-miatas I have had stuck slide pins make the brakes feel all different kinds of weird, but I guess you looked those over when replacing the pads&rotors. A vacuum leak in the brake booster (or the hose connected to it) seems pretty plausible though.

A friend had a crack in the brake booster diaphragm. It made a pretty distinctive "hissing" noise as soon as the brake pedal was pressed. Couldn't hear it while driving, but easily heard with hood open.

I greased all the pins so I doubt it's that. Gonna have to check out the booster I suppose. Add it to the list! gently caress :v:

[e] Yep, all power assist is gone now. Manual brakes are cool, right?

Going to look at a cheap low mileage BG on Saturday, hopefully it works out so I can put the Miata on hold for awhile until I have time to deal with everything.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 16, 2015

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Just bought another NB for $1300. Torsen, enthuza exhaust of some sort, some aftermarket shock/spring setup (can't recall, not entirely garbage though), TRM C1s, and a whole lotta rust. Now I have four Miatas and none of them really work quite right :smith:

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 16, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like a pretty good deal, I've bought worse for more.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Great Beer posted:

My 01s radio antenna is both huge and gets terrible reception when near power lines. Repeatedly clipping low hanging branches probably isn't helping. Are any of those short fixed antenna any good?

I use the $20 stubby from Amazon and it works/looks fine

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What is the going rate for an NA hardtop - black, paint not so great, but there are lots worse. $800?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put the asking at 1100$.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

destructo posted:

Just bought another NB for $1300. Torsen, enthuza exhaust of some sort, some aftermarket shock/spring setup (can't recall, not entirely garbage though), TRM C1s, and a whole lotta rust. Now I have four Miatas and none of them really work quite right :smith:

Welp, good find I guess. I see the IL plates; where you at dawg? I'm in Lake county.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

I greased all the pins so I doubt it's that. Gonna have to check out the booster I suppose. Add it to the list! gently caress :v:

[e] Yep, all power assist is gone now. Manual brakes are cool, right?

Going to look at a cheap low mileage BG on Saturday, hopefully it works out so I can put the Miata on hold for awhile until I have time to deal with everything.

Well at least on a Miata getting to the brake booster is pretty simple. On most other cars (and basically any FWD one) there's a ton of engine crap in the way. Also, if it's just the vacuum hose (that can develop brake-killing cracks), few things are simpler to replace.

I also happen to be driving a BG 1991 323F now (Miata parked over winter, sister using my Volvo). Pretty useful little thing after all.

ionn fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 17, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BG Mazdas are Good.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
So...

1995 1.8L NA.

Leaks fluid from the front somewhere when the engine is hot, but not before. Fluid leak stops quickly after engine is shut off.
Moderate leak, not sure what it is except it isn't coolant. Man trans fluid isn't old enough to tell by smell.

Recent work:
Shop installed clutch kit. Pretty sure leak predates this.
CAS O-ring replaced after much swearing. Heater hoses through the firewall replaced. Coolant replaced. Oil & filter change. Clutch fluid replaced.

I'm going to take a look at this later today/tomorrow, but if someone has ideas I'm all ears.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Figuring out what kind of fluid it is would help. If it's not coolant it's either gear oil, engine oil or brake fluid. Pressure wash the motor from the top and underneath then see if you can find where the leak is coming from.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked up the BG for $500 :v:

'94 Protege, 70k miles, Interior is mint, but it needs work. Runs and drives decent and doesn't over heat so I'm way ahead already, just gotta get the Mazda BG service manual back from my brother and start a rockauto list.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
DX or LX, auto or manual?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DX manual. I wish it was an LX but those are pretty much unicorns now, at least ones that aren't ragged the gently caress out, and even then 80% of them are autos. I can always swap in a BP and and other good bits later.

It's got the low idle and stall when the motor is hot, pretty sure it's the plug wire deal. Also has a leaky valve cover gasket and the shifter bushings are GONE as in guess what gear you're in. Windshield got smashed by the hood which is dented as a result too, and it needs brakes as well but I have them already. But the interior is mint and the body is straight and rust free so it's all good, I'll have a solid DD for under 1k.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Just changed my tranny oil and forgot to put the crush washer back on the drain plug. I ran it while it was still up on jacks for a few minutes and didn't see any leaks. Put it out of my mind or do it over?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

DX manual. I wish it was an LX but those are pretty much unicorns now, at least ones that aren't ragged the gently caress out, and even then 80% of them are autos. I can always swap in a BP and and other good bits later.

It's got the low idle and stall when the motor is hot, pretty sure it's the plug wire deal. Also has a leaky valve cover gasket and the shifter bushings are GONE as in guess what gear you're in. Windshield got smashed by the hood which is dented as a result too, and it needs brakes as well but I have them already. But the interior is mint and the body is straight and rust free so it's all good, I'll have a solid DD for under 1k.

. Having the BP is nice but the SOHC is still fun and has about the same torque anyway. The rest of the stuff you get with the LX isn't really that important. Maybe the anti roll bars are different but the rest of the sport suspension doesn't matter after 21 years. The drums even work fine on track duty. Maybe finding good tires in 13" size if you have the original wheels could be tricky but nowadays the 14s face the same problem I think. I miss mine a bit :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gonna get some 15" NB wheels for it, can get 'em cheap. But yeah, gonna drive it like it is for awhile, maybe put a ZX2 front sway on it, good tires with the wheels and call it a day. Gonna order the bronze shifter bushing kit from corksport, but it's only for the shifter side, do you know where I can get bronze bushings for the trans side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 8, 2021