Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Require More Fire posted:

Farm would be great with the KF2 lighting system. Think about how dark Catacombs gets and then imagine Farm like that. Just out in the field by the bonfire with just enough light to illuminate a few feet around you. :ohdear:

This would loving own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Farm would be great with the KF2 lighting system. Think about how dark Catacombs gets and then imagine Farm like that. Just out in the field by the bonfire with just enough light to illuminate a few feet around you. :ohdear:

And then you have Firebugs, strolling through the fields and flaming the everloving poo poo out of everything.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Quick question: I am level 16 on my Firebug (so I don't have splash yet), should I be aiming directly at Scakes and FP and when I get Splash aim at the floor? Also, I am firing in burst, should I just hold down the button till they go boom or is the burst the way to go?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

fire every firebug weapon in bursts and aim for center mass on big guys

aim the flamethrowers at the floor because lighting the ground and the zed on fire at the same time does extra damage

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ruggington posted:

fire every firebug weapon in bursts and aim for center mass on big guys

aim the flamethrowers at the floor because lighting the ground and the zed on fire at the same time does extra damage

I had a guy call me a lovely player for aiming at the zeds feet with the caulk gun.

But I will keep that in mind for when I use the Microwave, I remember reading that aiming at the floor is the way to get the most damage out of it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Yeah once you get Splash Damage aiming the microwave at the floor is the way to go

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Mesadoram posted:

I had a guy call me a lovely player for aiming at the zeds feet with the caulk gun.

He probably leveled his perks on a perktrainer map and thus doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ruggington posted:

Yeah once you get Splash Damage aiming the microwave at the floor is the way to go

Awesome, thank you very much.

He probably leveled his perks on a perktrainer map and thus doesn't know what he's talking about.

You give him too much credit to be smart enough to do that.

Me: It sets the floor on fire.
Mentally Handicap Pubbie: No it doesn't gently caress you newb.
Me: It does, I just did it. You should pay attention and read about the games mechanics.
MHP: You should read less.
Me: Ok.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yeah pubbies in this game can be retarded. Every now and again I find a pub that is great to play with, so I add them to my friends list. At this point I think the group I play with is close to having enough for two full groups.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
When I saw the achievement list getting updated with the new mysterious entries, I panicked and knocked out all my remaining HoE achievements with my buddies. There's no way that Nuke or Shrapnel plus Splash Damage won't take a nerf hit with the next update, they're just too drat good.

(Not saying you have to do this, Tripwire! You don't have to be the fun police all the time :v:)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

nerf nuke and give demo useful skills and an innate siren immunity thanks for listening :)

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I've barely touched Demo so I don't know what I'm talking about BUT it seems that the Grenade Supplier perk is next to useless. In fact I get mad when in a panic I see "press E for something something" and mash it hoping for ammo and instead get a nade.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Demo skills and passives are really weird. I talked about it earlier in the thread, but I want to reiterate that it would benefit way more from the faster reload innate instead of firebug. Siren immunity is so crucial yet it's a level 15 skill. Nuke is incredibly good, to the point that it's always, always worth it to fire off an explosive in Zed time even if it rages heavy zeds because it just melts poo poo.

The way they have it now, the demo usefulness curve is a wavy zigzag which makes leveling a pain.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

moot the hopple posted:

There's no way that Nuke or Shrapnel plus Splash Damage won't take a nerf hit with the next update, they're just too drat good.

I feel like they justify this by the low mobility and low hp of the firebug. Then again I'm am biased about the Firebug so take that with a grain of salt...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
firebug is well balanced, demo is not

firebug is showy as all hell since you can micro/burn/explode everything, but in terms of actual damage dealt a support with an AA-12 is still wrecking a swarm of enemies faster in my experience. Firebug just LOOKS way more impressive so it feels more powerful, even if it's not in terms of numbers

what I'm saying is, fb is good, leave it alone

support is good, but give grenades back for the supplier perk

demo needs a rework along the lines of Old Berserker.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Firebug is also unreliable as the main damage source, mainly because he's not ammo efficient.

But for clearing trash, there is no equal.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kikas posted:

Firebug is also unreliable as the main damage source, mainly because he's not ammo efficient.

The Microwave is by far one of the most fun FPS guns I've used in a very Very long time. Even if it is not the most ammo efficient, it is an amazing feeling blowing up so many mobs at once :allears:.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Psion posted:

firebug is well balanced, demo is not

firebug is showy as all hell since you can micro/burn/explode everything, but in terms of actual damage dealt a support with an AA-12 is still wrecking a swarm of enemies faster in my experience. Firebug just LOOKS way more impressive so it feels more powerful, even if it's not in terms of numbers

I disagree on all points. I get Destroyer and Giant Slayer and Zed stomper (unless we camp a fixed spot that lets our Demo reliably stack C4 somewhere) all the time because it is extremely the poo poo and currently outclasses the shooting perks. Firebug can kill groups way better than Support because it doesn't even need penetration or row positioning. Splash damage alone would be enough of a damage multiplier but then you get the additional incidental bonus kills from shrapnel and combustion where it gets to the point that you sometimes only have to kill a single crawler in a clump to explode the rest. FB weapons induce stagger and panic, throw out AoE, and wrecks poo poo so hard, the numbers don't lie!

(Note to Questioner and turnways: this is still not an argument to nerf FB but rather an ode to awesome fire man :argh:)

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kikas posted:

Kinda a weird thing to say since ammo efficiency is very important for clearing trash :v:.

But yeah, firebug is less than ideal for dealing with big guys if you aren't running MWG.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Drakes posted:

Kinda a weird thing to say since ammo efficiency is very important for clearing trash :v:.

But yeah, firebug is less than ideal for dealing with big guys if you aren't running MWG.

I usually run Caulk and MWG. I usually run into ammo problems if they throw too many FP at us, other wise I usually scrape by.

Edit: It will always be the Microwave Expander to me :colbert:

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 13, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Drakes posted:

Tell that to my pile of fully stocked caulk n burns

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

They really need to give the flamethrower an extra 100 ammo or something to make it a viable choice in comparison to the MWG. There's just no point in picking it up right now, as it's objectively worse against heavy targets which is 2/3 of your job on a team. An alt-fire mode where you point it at the ground to generate a 360 degree low-range PBAOE would be amazing for panic situations.

CnB needs an alt-fire mode that lets you shoot the tubes like a rocket with splashing fiery goodness (think rocket molotov) on impact, with the range of the splash burn based on how much ammo you have remaining in the tube(s).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The chief problem with the Flamethrower as it stands right now (at least if you're asking me) is I don't feel it has a good role in the arsenal when compared to the CnB. Yeah sure it's basically a bigger CnB and in most situations that role makes a lot of sense (you can say the same poo poo about basically all of the Support's shotguns), but the CnB is already so good and the weight premium you pay for the upgrade is so extreme that I don't really feel like it applies in this case.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
If I've got the cash early enough in a game, I'll usually swap the C&B for the Flamethrower because the Flamethrower has a larger tank. My biggest complaint about the C&B is that it runs out of fuel so fast. Maybe I'm just a little maniacal with my flame expenditure though. :black101:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In most games I've played as the Firebug, by the time I can afford the flamethrower, it makes more sense to hold out for the microwave gun for the impending scrakes and fleshpounds.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Flamethrower is so much better than the CnB it's ridiculous. It kills things much faster and has double the ammo, but the Microwave Gun is both so good and so fun and mostly so good that the Flamethrower is just seriously overlooked. I really wish there was a way to carry both the FT and the MG because that'd be the most fun loadout.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Questioner and Turnways, please don't read the following text:

I have this tremendous fear of the MWG getting nerfed because it really seems to make Scrakes trivial and fucks up FPs pretty good too.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

gnome7 posted:

The Flamethrower is so much better than the CnB it's ridiculous. It kills things much faster and has double the ammo, but the Microwave Gun is both so good and so fun and mostly so good that the Flamethrower is just seriously overlooked. I really wish there was a way to carry both the FT and the MG because that'd be the most fun loadout.

Wish I could have both the FT and the MWG. But I feel like that would be a tad bit OP.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I find the FT to be fine ammo wise, you might be tight on HoE. But as long as you are puffing with it and not full dumping into FP/Scrakes constantly, its ammo should last long enough. Now I wished the fuse perk was better and flamers default range was increasd to the T4 perk with the current perk replaced by something else.

I prefer running with the FT over the MWG if theres a solid medic/zerker combo going already, the trash can be frightening aggressive on Suicidal/HoE. So being extra good at clearing them while the zerker/medic covers the big guys is alright for me.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Questioner and Turnways, please don't read the following text:

I have this tremendous fear of the MWG getting nerfed because it really seems to make Scrakes trivial and fucks up FPs pretty good too.

I'd be okay with that after we get sharpshooter

unless gunslinger is a boss-killer

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ponzicar posted:

In most games I've played as the Firebug, by the time I can afford the flamethrower, it makes more sense to hold out for the microwave gun for the impending scrakes and fleshpounds.

I feel like you could abstract this out to be "in most games I've played as the [ANY CLASS] by the time I can afford the [TIER 3] it makes more sense to hold out for the [TIER 4]" because it's true of...almost all of them? Zerker is special and there's an argument to be made for the M79 over the RPG for demo, but it's still at least mostly true for demo too.

t3 pricing doesn't really help any of them out here, either

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
For most of the classes that I use regularly I tend to go Tier 2 and Tier 4. Medic is the exception that pops to mind as I like going with either the SMG and Shotgun or the Assault and Shotgun. But generally I like to have something with a lot of ammo to clear trash and then a heavy hitter for Scrakes/FPs and Tier 2 and 4 usually fill those roles.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The medic assault rifle kicks like a loving mule and doesn't have a semi-auto mode so I frequently skip it entirely. SMG and Shotgun is plenty for me.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Coolguye posted:

The medic assault rifle kicks like a loving mule and doesn't have a semi-auto mode so I frequently skip it entirely. SMG and Shotgun is plenty for me.

please don't skip the medic assault rifle

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Medic assault rifle is amazing, because as a medic you should be healing. It can heal 3-4 times very quickly, and recharges quicker than anything. You can also carry the medic pistol, smg, and AR all at the same time. It kicking a lot isn't a big deal, because you're not taking any big zeds out unless poo poo hits the fan. As for the kick, aim for the neck and tap, pop the zeds.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Coolguye posted:

It also deals more than double the SMG's damage with each bullet, has more ammo, and only uses 30 power per dart instead of 50 so you can heal more people more often and faster. The Medic Rifle is absurdly good, just don't mag-dump with it. The fact it has a lot of kick to it doesn't matter when it kills things twice as fast with controlled bursts anyway.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I would be very surprised if they don't tone down splash damage. Because it makes very little sense, mechanically speaking, for splash damage to do more than direct damage.

Coolguye posted:

But you can only pump 2/3 darts out of the shotgun before swapping. AR is worth it for 4 darts if nothing else, I'd even say just skip the shotgun and go AR/SMG/offperk (I've been seeing more medics with grenade launchers lately).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sushibandit posted:

But you can only pump 2/3 darts out of the shotgun before swapping. AR is worth it for 4 darts if nothing else, I'd even say just skip the shotgun and go AR/SMG/offperk (I've been seeing more medics with grenade launchers lately).
This is an interesting idea and I'll have to try it again when I get over my raging MGS5 addiction and have time for KF2 again.

Also, to clarify, my programming for medic basically is:

1) Get SMG
2) Donate up to 300-400 to allies for major upgrades (if requested)
3) Get Shotgun
4) Donate money until allies are showing good weapons across the board
5) Get AR (if time remains)

Always) Is it time for Hans? Pool for the AR.

I'm aware that the AR heals faster, but it's not really my primary concern since I don't feel like it has that great of a spot in my weapon loadout, generally. It is hard to control it against heavies, and a waste against trash. I don't remember the last time I felt like my healing capacity in one charge was sub-par. Spike damage from twinned up Fleshpounds or something is going to murder someone if the team mismanages it just the same; the delay between being able to reheal someone means that for focused damage I'm really not much worse off just switching weapons to my pistol.

Hans is different on both counts because his gas grenades cause a bunch of people damage and even if the weapon is a little difficult to shoot, as the medic I do not want to be anywhere NEAR that son of a bitch. I'll leave that to the Supports and the Berserkers, please and thank you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

you aren't playing medic until you hit level 20 and can fill somebody's armor in 10 seconds with the rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
As a medic you want the AR's better healing anyway because you should always be overhealing with Vaccination and Armament to build armor on your allies. A medic who is at least level 20 (or even 10) and just heals health bar is a shameful medic. My KF2 bros always pool 1500 for our medic ASAP because it's like having subsequent free armor that will always grant max damage reduction. The only time you should be thinking of throwing down on a heavy is to get in a single shot so you get the EXP if still leveling or shooting at the legs for the high medic weapon stumble chance if your tank needs a breather. Otherwise it is heal dart spam away.