Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

CJacobs posted:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/cicret.asp

The Cicret somehow actually does exist. It's just that, uh, right now in its current stage it looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuLwPZrOH5Q

I am the carefully placed camera that makes sure to never show the whole device on the wrist in the shot.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Non Serviam posted:

Somebody on Reddit called out the razor laser .
"As men of science", the creators came up and were buried in comments asking them how the gently caress they can possibly argue this will work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kickstarter/comments/3n59gt/scam_alert_the_wildly_successful_skarp_laser/

quote:

If it weren't for the credibility of the people involved, I might as similarly pessimistic if I were in your position.
Shaving will be about the same speed but without the hassle of prepping & lathering, so a little quicker overall. This is based upon a lot of math. Occam's razor (No pun intended) applies here. Either our Co-Founders & advisors spent decades reaching the top of their profession, building reputations for themselves & then after years of research, discovered a new technology in the fields they are experts in. Or they are not. and they are risking the rest of their professional careers & possible criminal charges.

No, we won't address any of your concerns, but we WILL state that we're working with experts, so shut up.

We're "men of science", but we're going to appeal to authority and that's all you're getting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's probably the worst misuse of Occam's that I've ever heard.

Which is more likely; that a team of relative unknowns have discovered advanced laser technology which they are using only to make razors, that razor companies like Phillips have known that laser-razors were possible for years but didn't make them because they just didn't want to, OR that these people are running a scam.

Hmmmmm.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think they'll throw away their imaginary science careers just to run a scam :rolleyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A rule of thumb is that if a technological advancement is as amazing or groundbreaking as they make it sound, they wouldn't need to go to Kickstarter because companies would be tripping over themselves trying to get it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Autechresaint posted:

I am the carefully placed camera that makes sure to never show the whole device on the wrist in the shot.

I've a sneaking suspicion the reason it can create dark is because the prototype is a loving huge wrist mounted obelisk that doubles as a sundial.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

wit posted:

I've a sneaking suspicion the reason it can create dark is because the prototype is a loving huge wrist mounted obelisk that doubles as a sundial.

The prototype can't create dark at all, only their silly mockups from before they had anything to show at all. Now it just looks like poo poo instead of impossible.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh, the skarp KS was cancelled by Kickstarter. What a surprise.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

dwarf74 posted:

The latest post in the comments section: "If you want this to go put it up on Indigogo. The rules are different."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

There's at least one guy in the comments section declaring that the KS was a great success, even though it was suspended.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

senrath posted:

There's at least one guy in the comments section declaring that the KS was a great success, even though it was suspended.

You don't understand, any publicity is good publicity. Obviously the fact that you know about it and are talking about it means it was successful :rolleyes:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I like the "Holy poo poo you guys what if Big Razor shut this down????? :tinfoil:" comments the most! As opposed to, like, all the people reporting it to Kickstarter for blatant violation of their rules (and for being shady as gently caress).

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I have to say that my faith in kickstarter has been a little restored for them to suspend skarp. Good on them.

I bet they'll move over to indiegogo asap.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Morpheus stunt double wishes to go to japan to get his series animated

He actually tried it before but failed with 0 pledges

edit:

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Oct 13, 2015

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

He wants money to fly to Japan to 'knock on doors' to get japanese studios to bid on his idea? Why can't he do that from the states, or better yet find an American studio to animate it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

LAB Il y a environ 4 heures

@zimmie 
It seems that KS doesn't have any experience in products of this high tech level. That's to bad... 

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

He wants money to fly to Japan to 'knock on doors' to get japanese studios to bid on his idea? Why can't he do that from the states, or better yet find an American studio to animate it.

I think he failed at that the first time, because there's no mention of japan in his original KS. So I guess he figured "ah, anime is what the kids like right"

Or he's a weeb.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

I honestly thought you were just making a joke when you said stunt double

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Autechresaint posted:

I have to say that my faith in kickstarter has been a little restored for them to suspend skarp. Good on them.

I bet they'll move over to indiegogo asap.
Bonus points if they use Flexible Funding.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

Bonus points if they use Flexible Funding.

They did: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving#/

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:downs:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought he was "Blayde" at first, which is how you Blonic & Blails a character whose name already starts with "bl-".

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

How does flexible funding even work? Do they get the money pledged straight away to scam use for the project?

Also would indiegogo shut this down based on they got deleted from kickstarter?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stringball posted:

How does flexible funding even work? Do they get the money pledged straight away to scam use for the project?

As far as I can tell they get the money when they hit the deadline since people are allowed to alter their pledge while the campaign is still running.

stringball posted:

I seem to recall that Indiegogo have closed down a few projects but they seem dodgier than KS so who knows?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

stringball posted:

They only get it once it hits the deadline, but they get to keep all of it, whether it makes their goal or not.

I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure there have been a few Kickstarters that have been taken down and successfully started up on Indiegogo. By "successfully" I mean they got money and poo poo, not that they ever made anything. Someone else more knowledgeable than me can probably summon up some examples.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I set up a couple legit IGGs with flexible funding, and as I remember I got the money as it was pledged.

Then I set up a joke one to invade Africa and they shut down my account.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I can't see that landing working out well for him

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Prop Wash posted:

I can't see that landing working out well for him

It looks like a teppanyaki chef fell out of a window

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

This needs to be the thread title, ASAP

EDIT: $50k in five hours. I don't even know what to say.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bvoid posted:

This needs to be the thread title, ASAP

EDIT: $50k in five hours. I don't even know what to say.

$73k in seven hours (and every time I tabbed back during posting this it had increased). loving hell. :cripes:

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

stringball posted:

This is the same site that got the impossible Ritot watch funded, so I doubt they'll do anything about this.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

indie go-go is is just kickstarter with less credibility for things that are more obviously scams, so no it wont get shut down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Indie Gogo is just Kickstarter with that, but also the ability to change your funding goal at any time so you keep all the money you rake in even if you don't meet your initial goal. It's like Kickstarter but somehow even more shifty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Autechresaint posted:

Exactly what I was wondering.

Also you'd have a hard enough time just beating on the doors of random animation studios trying to get them to listen to you, but being a foreigner who doesn't even speak Japanese?
Good luck dude.

loving hilarious. lovely self-published comic wants to self-publish an anime. Hell no.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

$73k in seven hours (and every time I tabbed back during posting this it had increased). loving hell. :cripes:

Where do these people get their money? You'd think they'd have wasted it all by now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Also you'd have a hard enough time just beating on the doors of random animation studios trying to get them to listen to you, but being a foreigner who doesn't even speak Japanese?
Good luck dude.

Yeah, baka gaijin

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TheDumbestManInTheUniverse posted:

Jared Tillford 1 hour ago
Do you guys still plan on releasing an update showing the skarp shaving multiple hairs at once?

How can you possibly have SEEN the video and still want to give them money

oh, and they're up to $130,000.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Just found out about Thunderclap today

It's like kickstarter but you pledge a tweet or a tumblr reblog or whatever. Fun fact: it calculates "Social Reach" by looking at the number of followers/friends/whatever when you "pledge".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

Just found out about Thunderclap today

It's like kickstarter but you pledge a tweet or a tumblr reblog or whatever. Fun fact: it calculates "Social Reach" by looking at the number of followers/friends/whatever when you "pledge".

Wow, a pyramid scheme for tweets? :v:

"Invite people to donate their social reach"

AKA we really wanted to make a techy startup but we had no ideas so we settled on astoturfing, decided that was too boring, and combined it with an MLM scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've only seen Thunderclap used to promote kick starters so far.