Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Weird BIAS posted:

The Pitchfork's latency can be reduced if you put a headphone jack plug into the exp pedal input.

Are you loving kidding me?

Weird BIAS posted:

Maybe I misunderstood but you're talking about the latency for when the effect turns on right?

Oh. No, not quite. Assuming the effect is enabled and not taking into consideration the on/off activation time set in motion by the foot switch, I'm talking about the time it takes the signal to go from my guitar, into the pedal, and get spat back out and played through the amp. For effects like distortion it's simultaneous so you don't even think about it, but for pitch shifting there's always a slight "uncanny valley" delay going on that can gently caress with your sense of timing. It's definitely noticeable with the Pitchfork.

That isn't going to stop me from wiring up a potentiometer to a TRS jack and pretending it's an expression pedal though, because what you mentioned is a neat little hidden feature of the Pitchfork that I unfortunately can't devote an expression pedal to on my newly minted pedalboard that I just spent two whole days wiring up. :q:

:supaburn: PARALLEL EFFECTS!!!!! :supaburn:

Literally Elvis posted:

I don't know why I did this:

Thanks for this.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

After a night of gassy internet adventuring I've decided that I need a Digitech Drop. Long story short every few months I decide I need a guitar in C standard or whatever and spend a while with it like that before I realize 10s in E standard is my jam and nothing else works for me as a base. I had no idea how well the drop actually tracked and I'm thinking it may be my ticket to drop tunings without switching around my setups. My PRS has a non adjustable one piece bridge which isn't great for anything but stock strings and tuning but it keeps flawless intonation which seems like it would pair perfectly with a pedal like this. What do you guys think?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I for one am not about to talk anyone out of buying gear so I say go for it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I imagine it's just the DT function from the Whammy DT which is basically just the Whammy setting from the Whammy V set in chord mode, which I own and use, so I imagine it works pretty well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I promised my girlfriend I would finish listing a couple pedals and my 8 string on reverb first so here we go. Once that's all up I'm dropping cash to drop notes. Does it track pretty well muike? Everyone seems to say it does.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My whammy does. I haven't spent a ton of time doing detuning with it aside from an octave down here and there, which means i'm not really doing much in the way of chords, but it still seems really close to 0 latency.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Grabbed one off PGS for $143 shipped with the FALL20 code. What a perfectly timed deal! I have an order coming from Amazon as well but I'm definitely returning that since it was full price. Pedal deals!!!!!!

e: that deal ends at midnight in case anyone wants something that isn't excluded

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im actually trying to get rid of gear so, kindly, gently caress off up your own b-hole

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

im actually trying to get rid of gear so, kindly, gently caress off up your own b-hole

Prymaxe Vintage sale going until 9/28

$20 off $99 w/ code: FALL99
$40 off $199 w/ code: FALL199
20% off $299+ w/ code: FALL299

<3

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Prymaxe Vintage sale going until 9/28

$20 off $99 w/ code: FALL99
$40 off $199 w/ code: FALL199
20% off $299+ w/ code: FALL299

<3

Nice, just picked up an Accountant.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay okay okay listen up. The Digitech Drop is the real deal. I lowered my expectations while waiting for USPS today because I'm a picky jerk about ~tone~ but this thing is insane. I can drop an octave down and there's minimal latency. I suppose it's there but the feel isn't even off.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone know of any good SD-1 options?

The only two that I've found have been the SD-1W which I think is wildly overpriced for what it is and the MXR M77.

Mostly looking for one that has a much better noise floor, but extra options on things like voicing are a plus.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Anyone know of any good SD-1 options?

The only two that I've found have been the SD-1W which I think is wildly overpriced for what it is and the MXR M77.

Mostly looking for one that has a much better noise floor, but extra options on things like voicing are a plus.

Just buy one cheap and yank out the C6 capacitor.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Does anyone make a DIY kit like the Beavis Board anymore? I'd like to try making some stuff, but I'm more interested in finding out how/why circuits work than making a bunch of Tubescreamer or Rat clones for like $60 a pop.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
iirc isn't it basically a switch and a couple breadboards?

not that hard to put together yourself

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

DrChu posted:

Does anyone make a DIY kit like the Beavis Board anymore? I'd like to try making some stuff, but I'm more interested in finding out how/why circuits work than making a bunch of Tubescreamer or Rat clones for like $60 a pop.

The Beavis Board should be trivial to copy or build yourself something like it. Not really the kind of thing that should need a kit.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Pretty much that. The value of the Beavis Board wasn't so much the platform itself as it was the huge sack of common parts it came with. Starting with no parts is kind of a bitch, at least so fast as stuff that can't be bought in bulk assortments are concerns. Get yourself a bread board and a huge sack of caps, resistors, and some pots, then run down the BOM for a couple common pedals to get an idea of what op amps, transitions, and diodes you'll need.

E: phone posting

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Tagboard Effects

Has approximately a billion layouts for commercially available circuits, along with some interesting commentary on the designs and a pretty active community that builds and verifies the things. It's a step up in commitment from breadboard, but still cheaper than PCB and in theory robust enough to actually house and use.

I have yet to build any of these but I'm totally going to any day now.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hey!

My friend Alexey is doing some great/weird stuff in Russia and thought I would help him out a bit and share his stuff. He currently loss his job and is looking to do more pedal builds. I have the Moomindrone listed here and love it. He is currently building me a fuzz/echo/shoegaze in a box made out of a soviet era enclosure.

He builds it all by hand and even Acid Etches custom designs for each pedal. If interested please email him, he does mostly all custom builds, tweaks his various circuits to his clients desires. You can reach him at doesmess@gmail.com . I am not getting anything for this, of course, just a great dude that does genuinely interesting stuff. He even has a 2 foot long spring reverb that is nuts. I saw youtube videos of his and took me like 3 months to track him down to order my Moomin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NEUfHuywvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osuXH4WRzlI
https://soundcloud.com/doesmess/

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
I have a Keely mod tube screamer that is making a horrible squealing noise when its turned on, regardless of what settings the various switches are set to. I would like to fix it because it was loving expensive, and im not too bad with a soldering iron / multimeter, but i haven't got a clue what i should be looking for inside the box. Before it totally died i noticed the foot switch was being a little bit dodgy, like when it was turned on it would make some horrible noises, but cycling it on and off could get it to behave.

I opened it up the other day and the amount of wires and bits and peices inside spooked me away from actually doing anything. Any one got any tips for how to trouble shoot a pedal? things i should be looking for appart from broken joints etc?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Before you get out the soldering iron, have you made sure that it's not interacting weirdly with another pedal in your chain, or tried it with a battery? After that, aside from checking for broken or bad dull joints or obviously burnt components, I'd hook up an audio probe and start tracing the signal. Do you have one of those? It's probably oscillating somewhere, and you can listen in on down it's internal chain to better isolate where the fuckup is.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah I'm fairly certain its not caused by other pedals in the chain as I've just plugged it in guitar>ts>amp before and it did the same thing, although I recently got a voodoo labs power brick so I'll plug it in again and see if its still borked. I also have not tried it with a battery so I'll try that too and see what happens, might get lucky. Don't have an audio probe and using one is probably a little bit beyond me.

I'll futz around with it tonight a bit and see what's up, its not an integral part of my ~tone~ but I'd rather it not just be a paper weight on my desk anymore. Thanks for the ideas.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Signal routing question: I'm looking to reroute some effects loops, more or less. With a pair of amps, I want to be able to switch between these two conditions:
  • Normal operation: each amp using its own preamp, effects loop, and poweramp.
  • Amp A's send into amp B's return. Only amp A's preamp and amp B's poweramp will be used in this configuration.
The best I can think of is putting an A/B box just after A's send and another one, in reverse, feeding into B's return. I'd rather not do it that way because I'd prefer just to have one switch to control it. It's not for real-time performance or anything, but I still want to be able to just look at it and know which way it is set, and prevent any useless states where the two A/B boxes aren't both set right.

It seems like this should be simple, but most routing type stuff is built to switch multiple loops from an input signal, and this is a bit more like a railyard switch or something.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Sven posted:

Yeah I'm fairly certain its not caused by other pedals in the chain as I've just plugged it in guitar>ts>amp before and it did the same thing, although I recently got a voodoo labs power brick so I'll plug it in again and see if its still borked. I also have not tried it with a battery so I'll try that too and see what happens, might get lucky. Don't have an audio probe and using one is probably a little bit beyond me.

I'll futz around with it tonight a bit and see what's up, its not an integral part of my ~tone~ but I'd rather it not just be a paper weight on my desk anymore. Thanks for the ideas.

your footswitch is likely the issue.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Weird question. Wayyyy back in Ye Olde Times of 2009 Line 6 had those X2 Wireless set-ups that were super effective and cheap. Until just very recently I used that instead of the G-series relays but my X2 receiver is finally starting to act funky.

Since it's digital and Line 6, does anyone know if a G30 receiver will pick up signal from an X2 sender? I'd like to not have to buy a whole new set-up but I understand if I have to. I'd just like to know before I go into Sam Ash so I can avoid looking like an idiot.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

no dad im not gay! posted:

your footswitch is likely the issue.

It totally was! Bought a new 3PDT switch and 2 hours of soldering later its running like a champ.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I need help with a power supply. I have a pedal that came with a DigiTech RP80, it's made by Harman Pro Group , model number PS200R-120, it looks just like this:

I have a Mooer micro pedal (Lofi machine), and the manual reads:

quote:

"Connect the designated AC adapter to an AC outlet of the correct voltage. Please be sure to use only an AC adapter which supplies 9V (+/- 10%) DC, center minus. The maximum working voltage shall not exceed 12V." and elsewhere it says "Power Requirements: AC adapter 9V DC (center minus plug), Current Draw: 128 mA"

Are these safe to use together? The polarity symbols match, but I'm worried about frying the pedal.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Looking for a cheap >$150 used delay pedal that can do infinite repeats by holding down the button similar to the strymon timeline.

I don't use half of the features I thought I would with my timeline, and would prefer a simple box if it had this same feature.Bonus points for having tap tempo.

I'm aware the El Cap has both of these, but it is still out of my range.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

ProperCoochie posted:

I need help with a power supply. I have a pedal that came with a DigiTech RP80, it's made by Harman Pro Group , model number PS200R-120, it looks just like this:

I have a Mooer micro pedal (Lofi machine), and the manual reads:

Are these safe to use together? The polarity symbols match, but I'm worried about frying the pedal.

Should be fine. The power supply you've got there indicates that it is indeed center negative, is within +/- 10% of 9V, and supplies sufficient current. So assuming the plug's the correct size, rock on.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

Looking for a cheap >$150 used delay pedal that can do infinite repeats by holding down the button similar to the strymon timeline.

I don't use half of the features I thought I would with my timeline, and would prefer a simple box if it had this same feature.Bonus points for having tap tempo.

Find a used kilobyte delay

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

philkop posted:

Boss DD20 does this

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Find a used kilobyte delay

The Lofi mode was actually my favorite on the timeline!

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Yarbald posted:

Boss DD20 does this

I know a few people with these. I'll try it out. Thanks

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4r5HkZgOk

Looking for a pedal like this or maybe a kit so I can build one myself, though I don't trust my workmanship. Basically a TRS/stereo input to two mono outputs, maybe a little bigger than the enclosure he used. The Lehle Little Dual would do the job without me having to build anything but gently caress paying 200 for it. If anyone wants to build one and art it up I'd be willing to pay for it too.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Weird BIAS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4r5HkZgOk

Looking for a pedal like this or maybe a kit so I can build one myself, though I don't trust my workmanship. Basically a TRS/stereo input to two mono outputs, maybe a little bigger than the enclosure he used. The Lehle Little Dual would do the job without me having to build anything but gently caress paying 200 for it. If anyone wants to build one and art it up I'd be willing to pay for it too.

Do you need the foot switches? A basic Ric-O-Sound clone would do the splitting for you, like http://rich-e-split.com

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah the switches are kind of an important detail because it allows for selecting of different instruments at a time. It's for use with the A Little Thunder Pickup where one sleeve of the stereo guitar output is an octave down effect on the E and A strings and the other is the unaltered guitar signal from all the other pickups. So being able to turn the bass on and off with a switch or to just use the bass for an intro is the interesting thing the pedal does.

Actually now that I think it a single on/off pedal for each signal would work if I used a TRS/Stereo to 2 mono cable. That might be better than a single pedal.

e: http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/kill-switch-pedal/ a couple of these might work.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 9, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i use a stereo cable and use a A/B switch and tuner to mute with my foot. However, it's actually way more easy using my 3 way switch to mute the different pickups.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What the gently caress is this supposed to be a clone of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFe6NeBgFc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Has anyone used the EHX Nano Looper? i recently got a Ditto looper, which is okay, but the EHX one looks very similar except with the ability to store 11 or so loops, which is very appealing to me. wondering if it's worth it to trade up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

It's worth noting that while the 360 has 6 min of recording time, that's shared between all 11 memory slots. For a bit more than the 360, the Boss RC-3 offers 99 slots and 3 hours of recording time. The Digitech Jamman Solo XT would also be a decent upgrade over a Ditto. The 360 seems like more of a... sidegrade, I guess.