Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008

walgreenslatino posted:

If you don't think that the constitutional rights of an accused citizen should be respected, I don't know what else to say

EDIT:

We don't punish citizens temporarily until we can find out if they did or did not commit a crime

Isn't this the very definition of being arrested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

There is no bigger mental health advocate than a gun nut after a 15 year run of gun massacres.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

And the consensus is Gun Control is needed.

And you don't like that. In fact, you have said repeatedly you would directly vote against nearly any and all gun control of any sort, going so far as to post 'Don't touch my guns'.

You are not arguing in good faith.

I mentioned a bill that actually strengthens the background checks/mental health reporting and support it. That's gun control. I supported the majority of the poo poo you posted except for insurance requirements. What's the problem here?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeeMajors posted:

There is no bigger mental health advocate than a gun nut after a 15 year run of gun massacres.

and yet mental health in america is still a loving travesty, strange....

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

You mean other then being pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and having our republican governor pass the first universal healthcare law in the country? If you don't realize that local parties are vastly different from national parties that I don't know why the gently caress you think you're even qualified to comment on politics.

I mean gently caress, the majority of state republicans voted for gay marriage back in 2007

That was in an overwhelmingly democratic state, so a pretty different situation. States that are overwhelmingly controlled by Republicans look basically like you would expect them to, ie Kansas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

I mentioned a bill that actually strengthens the background checks/mental health reporting and support it. That's gun control

From the NRA. From the guys who have spent millions opposing any and all gun control.

Yeah, I don't buy it in the least. Again, this is the group that has ACTIVELY spread conspiracy theories to undermine any and all gun control while at the same time lobbying to defund CDC studies about gun violence.

No. There is no way its an effective bill.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

From the NRA. From the guys who have spent millions opposing any and all gun control.

Yeah, I don't buy it in the least.

in a stunning twist the background referred to is literally whatever's behind the person when they approach the counter. need to make sure reality hasn't dropped away.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I don't buy it in the least. Again, this is the group that has ACTIVELY spread conspiracy theories to undermine any and all gun control while at the same time lobbying to defund CDC studies about gun violence.

No. There is no way its an effective bill.

Did you even read the bill before dismissing it? I don't agree with all of the NRA's practices, but this bill is pretty okay.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A major and exceedingly common rationale for gun owning from your Dylann Roof to your random red stater at a barbecue is "I need guns in case in the near future I need to murder my ill-defined political enemies" and presumably this won't be considered symptomatic of mental illness and disqualify the believer from owning firearms so that's not really going to do much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

Did you even read the bill before dismissing it? I don't agree with all of the NRA's practices, but this bill is pretty okay.

Its ineffective handwaving:

http://www.thetrace.org/2015/08/mental-health-cornyn-bill-involuntary-commitment/

quote:

Currently, to get your right to buy a gun back, you have to go before a judge and prove that you’re capable and able to have a fireman. Under this bill, what would happen would be as soon as the order, the commitment order expired, you would automatically be able to go and purchase a gun again.

Its actually WEAKENING current protections. Good bill, NRA. My concerns about an NRA backed 'Gun Control' bill are validated.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tezzor posted:

A major and exceedingly common rationale for gun owning from your Dylann Roof to your random red stater at a barbecue is "I need guns in case in the near future I need to murder my ill-defined political enemies" and presumably this won't be considered symptomatic of mental illness and disqualify the believer from owning firearms so that's not really going to do much

You have referred to your ill-definited political enemies as subhuman swine on more than one occasion, so you're not much better. Murdering people over political disagreement is a bad thing and yes, probably indicative of mental illness.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I own guns because I enjoy them, they are fun. But they are also useful in case of an attack upon my person, which, being a minority in a very bad neighborhood (A Hispanic in the majority black North Side of Pittsburgh), is more likely than the average suburban white person who goes all a-titter for gun control.

Plus they're cool!

I just built this baby last week on a whim. Saw that lower and couldn't NOT buy it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.propublica.org/article/myth-vs-fact-violence-and-mental-health

quote:

To separate the facts from the media hype, we talked to Dr. Jeffrey Swanson, a professor in psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Duke University School of Medicine, and one of the leading researchers on mental health and violence. Swanson talked about the dangers of passing laws in the wake of tragedy ― and which new violence-prevention strategies might actually work.

Here is a condensed version of our conversation, edited for length and clarity.

Mass shootings are relatively rare events that account for only a tiny fraction of American gun deaths each year. But when you look specifically at mass shootings ― how big a factor is mental illness?

On the face of it, a mass shooting is the product of a disordered mental process. You don't have to be a psychiatrist: what normal person would go out and shoot a bunch of strangers?

But the risk factors for a mass shooting are shared by a lot of people who aren't going to do it. If you paint the picture of a young, isolated, delusional young man ― that probably describes thousands of other young men.

A 2001 study looked specifically at 34 adolescent mass murderers, all male. 70 percent were described as a loner. 61.5 percent had problems with substance abuse. 48 percent had preoccupations with weapons. 43.5 percent had been victims of bullying. Only 23 percent had a documented psychiatric history of any kind ― which means 3 out of 4 did not.

People with serious mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, do have a slightly higher risk of committing violence than members of the general population. Yet most violence is not attributable to mental illness. Can you walk us through the numbers?

People with serious mental illness are 3 to 4 times more likely to be violent than those who aren't. But the vast majority of people with mental illness are not violent and never will be.

Most violence in society is caused by other things.

Even if we had a perfect mental health care system, that is not going to solve our gun violence problem. If we were able to magically cure schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depression, that would be wonderful, but overall violence would go down by only about 4 percent.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Its ineffective handwaving:

http://www.thetrace.org/2015/08/mental-health-cornyn-bill-involuntary-commitment/

Its actually WEAKENING current protections. Good bill, NRA.

It's certainly not perfect, and I think that part needs some strengthening, but it's a good start. Especially the part that forces states to do a better job of reporting mental health issues to the NICS.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

PCOS Bill posted:

I own guns because I enjoy them, they are fun. But they are also useful in case of an attack upon my person, which, being a minority in a very bad neighborhood (A Hispanic in the majority black North Side of Pittsburgh), is more likely than the average suburban white person who goes all a-titter for gun control.

Plus they're cool!

I just built this baby last week on a whim. Saw that lower and couldn't NOT buy it.

God I've been waiting for you

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, America has poor access to psychiatric care.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

99% of conservatism is siege-mentality bullshit. Gun ownership fits snugly into the narrative of the weak-kneed, pee-pants persecuted avenger exacting justice on minorities and liberals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

various cheeses posted:

It's certainly not perfect, and I think that part needs some strengthening, but it's a good start. Especially the part that forces states to do a better job of reporting mental health issues to the NICS.

:psyduck: It weakens current protections, makes it easier for mentally ill to purchase weapons, and you think its a good bill?

Holy poo poo, you are denser than lead. White dwarf maybe?

walgreenslatino posted:

God I've been waiting for you

We have TFR for gun chat. This is about the legality of gun control

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

You have referred to your ill-definited political enemies as subhuman swine on more than one occasion, so you're not much better. Murdering people over political disagreement is a bad thing and yes, probably indicative of mental illness.

If the trotter guard fits (I have no idea what footwear goes on pigs)

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

We have TFR for gun chat. This is about the legality of gun control

It was a joke, lighten up

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LeeMajors posted:

99% of conservatism is siege-mentality bullshit. Gun ownership fits snugly into the narrative of the weak-kneed, pee-pants persecuted avenger exacting justice on minorities and liberals.

I don't know too many socially liberal minorities

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

walgreenslatino posted:

EDIT:

We don't punish citizens temporarily until we can find out if they did or did not commit a crime

Ask the people who are in county jail awaiting trial. We absolutely do this, especially if you are poor and cant afford bail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

Somehow I'm gonna say this has something to do with you....

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

walgreenslatino posted:

California has a Gun Violence Restraining Order, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a temporary order that allows law enforcement to remove a person's guns and ammunition, and prevent them from legally acquiring more.

I'm wary, because it's depriving a citizen of a constitutional right without due process.
This is interesting. How effective has it been?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

PCOS Bill posted:

Doesn't stop you assholes from shooting them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meristem posted:

I'm sorry, that data is not available as the NRA has threatened to lobby against any and all funding of studies about the effects of gun violence and the effectiveness of gun control

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Responsible gun control means carrying your gun everywhere to be sure it never walks off and gets misused.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Butch Cassidy posted:

Responsible gun control means carrying your gun everywhere to be sure it never walks off and gets misused.

Better than leaving it on the dresser for your untrained girlfriend.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

so you're literally voting against things you think would help other people because you'd be inconvenienced, thats what i'm hearing here

Yes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Butch Cassidy posted:

What's the silver thing?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

That was in an overwhelmingly democratic state, so a pretty different situation. States that are overwhelmingly controlled by Republicans look basically like you would expect them to, ie Kansas.

Yes, of course, states that vote Republican in national elections are going to have state parties more reflective of the national party (or worse, even more regressive). But that's exactly the point CommieGIR here doesn't seem to understand when he claiming that the MA GOP is exactly like the national party.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

To be honest I don't know! I haven't seen any data, I haven't seen much bragging about it, I've just seen some complaining from the pro-gun-rights elements who haven't totally written off California

If anyone has some that'd be cool

blackguy32 posted:

Ask the people who are in county jail awaiting trial. We absolutely do this, especially if you are poor and cant afford bail.

That's also wrong and I don't agree with onerous bail requirements, but legally the justification is "making sure someone shows up to court" and not "preventing them from doing futurecrime" like the GVRA is

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

What's the silver thing?

you snort coke out of it

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its kind of weird since people keep bringing up mental health and better things to help with poverty, yet the people who are fighting to protect guns are fighting even harder to remove the things that help the poor and the mentally infirm.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of that stuff done but the fact that all these issues are entangled by the Republican party is not by accident but by design.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

walgreenslatino posted:

To be honest I don't know! I haven't seen any data, I haven't seen much bragging about it, I've just seen some complaining from the pro-gun-rights elements who haven't totally written off California

If anyone has some that'd be cool

That's also wrong and I don't agree with onerous bail requirements, but legally the justification is "making sure someone shows up to court" and not "preventing them from doing futurecrime" like the GVRA is
OK, I've googled it in the meantime. It starts on January 1st, 2016.

bill text: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB1014
some basics: http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/26543/restraining-orders-guns
research: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bsl.2173/abstract (would appreciate fulltext pdf if someone has access)
press release on research: http://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2015/gun-violence-restraining-orders-promising-strategy-to-reduce-gun-violence-in-the-us.html

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Years of hearing conservative complaints about how not treating their beliefs as being exactly as good as yours is unconscionably evil has convinced me there's no moral difference between killing and convincing. So bring on the FEMA death camps.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Better than leaving it on the dresser for your untrained girlfriend.

If I had an untrained girlfriend, my wife would be on my case to get her to the range and correct that oversight.

PCOS Bill posted:

What's the silver thing?

IMCO Triplex

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Its kind of weird since people keep bringing up mental health and better things to help with poverty, yet the people who are fighting to protect guns are fighting even harder to remove the things that help the poor and the mentally infirm.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of that stuff done but the fact that all these issues are entangled by the Republican party is not by accident but by design.

It's not my fault Democrats are completely and irrationally against self-defense. That ranks higher than their other causes to me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I'd say being willing to lose votes needed for more important issues just to force through bad laws makes you part of the problem.

Would this actually work. The GOP pretty much runs on conspiracy theories these days, people were buying up all the ammo beginning in 2008 before Obama even did anything, I don't think the NRA would have any trouble convincing their members that the new pro-gun Democratic party is all just a smokescreen to get in power and then reveal their gun-gobbling lizard faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

walgreenslatino posted:

California has a Gun Violence Restraining Order, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a temporary order that allows law enforcement to remove a person's guns and ammunition, and prevent them from legally acquiring more.

I'm wary, because it's depriving a citizen of a constitutional right without due process.

The safety of the abused is more important than the right to own firearms for the abuser. Full stop. It's too commonplace for abusers to murder their estranged wives and children to allow it to continue unabated.

Now, after a period of time for heads to cool down, and if the abuser has kept to their restraining order guidelines, they should probably get them back.

• Locked thread