Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blood Bowl is a fantastic game and I've made a couple teams before, specifically built to challenge more expensive teams and kill their valuable players. There's no greater feeling than challenging someone, killing their expensive, critical dudes and seeing that team get deleted post-game. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how much effort is it to replace valuable players?

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle

Alan Smithee posted:

Impossible. You have to buy a brand new one and level him back up. It's a very slow process.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
To explain, there are four ways to gain SPP (your level up points)

Complete a pass, which gives +1 spp to the thrower (and catcher i think)
Injuring a player so they can't play anymore unless healed, gives +2spp
Scoring a touchdown which is +3 spp
Getting MVP which is completely random and +3 (in the new one it seems to be anyway, its meant to be +5)

First level takes 6spp which your main guys will get in one game.
0-5 - Lv 1, Rookie; no rolls
6-15 - Lv 2, Experienced; 1st roll
16-30 - Lv 3, Veteran; 2nd Roll
31-50 - Lv 4, Emerging Star; 3rd Roll
51-75 - Lv 5, Star Player; 4th roll
76-125 - Lv6, Super-Star; 5th roll
126-175 - Lv 7, Mega-Star; 6th roll
176+ - Lv 8, Legend; last Roll

Your players also "age" which makes it easier for them to get injured as they level up, so aiming for a good player and kicking the poo poo out of him is a prime strategy. Your good players can and will die eventually.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That sounds like a pain in the rear end to keep your team leveled up. Also you'd want your guys leveling at different rates so they don't all grow old and die at the same time right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RatHat posted:

That sounds like a pain in the rear end to keep your team leveled up. Also you'd want your guys leveling at different rates so they don't all grow old and die at the same time right?

Age doesn't actually kill your guys, there's just a bigger chance of it happening the older they get. My current team i've got levels all over the place but it doesn't really matter because positioning is generally more important than skills, you just want a couple of players with specific skills. I've got two guys, one is good at passing, one at catching. Rest are pretty much fodder who punch what they can and stop the valuable guys getting hurt.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RatHat posted:

Aging is unrelated to levels. Basically after a player participates in like 30 games or so they will start getting some penalties related to their age. If this player is a rank and file Lineman who only gets experience by attacking opposing players, he might be very fortunate to be level 3 before he starts getting old.

To a certain extent, simultaneous aging is unavoidable. When you create a fresh team, you get a bunch of level 1 Rookies who are all at their youngest. Injuries happen, but truly serious injuries are still relatively uncommon, especially for well armored players or special 'positional' players whose skills tend to keep them away from the action (such as Throwers, who are, as their name suggest, optimized at picking up and throwing the ball. You want to guard these players, so they take relatively few hits). Unless you're playing in a league that ignores the aging rule, it's inevitable that your mainstays will start picking up some aging penalties at the same time. It's one of the numerous awkward stresses that you sign up for when coaching a Blood Bowl team. Also to be clear, since individual dudes on your team are called players, the players of the actual game are called coaches.

Is it a pain in the rear end? Absolutely. You will find yourself debating whether or not you should risk handing off the ball to an unknown Lineman (and risk that fucknut dropping the ball and causing you to lose the rest of your turn) to feed him a level, or just run the ball in as it stands to secure a win. You will find yourself one space short, pushing your luck with a 'going-for-it' - you can run 2 additional squares over your movement allowance, but you have to roll a d6, and you fall the gently caress over on a 1, which terminates your turn and can cause your fallen player to get hurt or to even kill himself. You will plan everything perfectly and still roll three 1s in a row, so your massive Troll gets punched the gently caress out by a tiny little Goblin. You will tear your hair out. You will gnash your teeth. You will scream inwardly at your worthless loving players.

That's Blood Bowl.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blood Bowl is also one of those games where you can and should name your players stupid stuff for comedy. My throw-away goblin team were "The Green Party" and featured such vicious players as Florence Green, Ceelo Green, KC Green, Tom Green and the Jolly Green Giant.

Goblins are also great because while they're fragile and generally awful at playing the ball, they're dirt cheap and have a bunch of players that can come onto the field wielding bombs, chainsaws, pogo sticks and all manner of goofy bullshit.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

It can be a lot of effort. In addition to having to make the replacement player do stuff to get experience, each type of unit only gets easy access to certain skills.

Like, a burly puncher-type unit might only have access to strength and general type skills normally. But there are some agility skills that are really, really nice to have on your punching-type guys. Or strength skills that are great to have on agile units. Every time a character levels, they roll two dice. If they roll doubles, they get the opportunity to choose from a restricted skill category for that level-up only. Or if they roll a 10, 11, or 12, they get to choose from +movement or armor (on a 10), +agility (on a 11), or +strength (on a 12).

Cripple or kill someone's special snowflake stat-up + restricted skill player, and it's a gigantic setback for them. Since you can only have so many of the better types of units in your roster at each time, in order to get a replacement that's anywhere near as good they might have to go through the process of XPing a replacement up, then firing them if they don't get lucky during the first couple of level ups. And then starting the process all over several times until the dice smile on them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 5, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Coolguye posted:

For those that aren't aware, Blood Bowl is a turn based, strategic game that is kind of a hyper-violent mix between rugby and American football.

So it's Aussie-rule rugby then?

Orv
May 4, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

So it's Aussie-rule rugby then?

With even more casualties and incompetence, somehow.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6kV7xC0JY

"Hello yes we would like to confirm your order of 25 pizzas, the name on the order is 'you are getting trolled'"

"THAT'S NOT EVEN MY NAME"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given the number of troll videos from those games I'm amazed they can actually go a single match without a troll attempt. I wonder if they ever get up trolling each other.

But I do think that making a kid believe that someone in the game just got murdered in real life by a mobster who then threatening to kill him too since he overheard it and actually saying the kid's address to scare him is going a little bit too far. :stare:

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 5, 2015

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYirOC_3HSg

I have not seen this Daniel video and don't think I've seen it on here. I need to watch this guys stream

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Poil posted:

But I do think that making a kid believe that someone in the game just got murdered in real life by a mobster who then threatening to kill him too since he overheard it and actually saying the kid's address to scare him is going a little bit too far. :stare:

hey it's just business

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

QuarkJets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6kV7xC0JY

"Hello yes we would like to confirm your order of 25 pizzas, the name on the order is 'you are getting trolled'"

"THAT'S NOT EVEN MY NAME"

"She like the devil with tits man"
"I don't want no crazy rear end white bitch coming to my house!"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get it. Why would the chick call the dude in the first place, and if she's not, how is the game hearing it?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Turtlicious posted:

I don't get it. Why would the chick call the dude in the first place, and if she's not, how is the game hearing it?

I have the same question. Can they somehow hear someone's calls over xbox? I don't have one, so I have no clue.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

The prank is he walked away and left his phone next to his headset then had the other pranksters call it.

Or just played a cellphone sound effect before they spoke.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the second dude mentioned "she's leaving you messages". The pizza thing was pretty meh but the second half was pretty funny.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This just came up on my youtube subs. Good ol' FAK trolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-K7oCGB6o

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

Whoa, what?
It sounds like they implemented skill tiers for a team-based FPS which requires an insane level of metrics that Valve spent 1000 man-hours on instead of Half-Life 3. I'm so glad I stopped playing TF2 after the third time my 1m fire damage achievement got reset.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shumagorath posted:

It sounds like they implemented skill tiers for a team-based FPS which requires an insane level of metrics that Valve spent 1000 man-hours on instead of Half-Life 3. I'm so glad I stopped playing TF2 after the third time my 1m fire damage achievement got reset.

If that's anything like the other achievements it probably wasn't actually reset, but they have some trouble showing your progress. Like a lot of them just say 0 until you get the whole way.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shumagorath posted:

1000 man hours analyzing metrics does not translate to the same output making a game like HL3. Because the game with the metrics is a real thing, and HL3 won't ever be

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh no I missed Blood Bowl chat :(

I miss playing my undead team from Chaos Edition. I had a skeleton with Dirty Player and Sneaky Git.

Quick explanation for non-players: Dirty Player is a general skill (meaning almost every player has access to it on level up) that gives you +1 on foul rolls to either break armor or (if you broke the armor without the +1 bonus) injury. That +1 on injury is pretty significant, as it increases your chance for KO/CAS from ~40% to almost 60%. Sneaky Git is an Agility skill (meaning you normally don't get access to it on linemen) that makes it so your player can only get sent off for fouling if he breaks armor.

People hated him so much they would ignore my actual good players to try and kill him.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The entire reason Turn 16 Fouling is such a huge thing is because fouling is disliked even at the best of times. Just HAVING a dedicated fouler on the pitch is enough to get some folks twitchy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coolguye posted:

The entire reason Turn 16 Fouling is such a huge thing is because fouling is disliked even at the best of times. Just HAVING a dedicated fouler on the pitch is enough to get some folks twitchy.

What if you had an entire team of dedicated foulers? Who might never win a game but just do their damnedest to stomp the poo poo out of other people's star players.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dabir posted:

What if you had an entire team of dedicated foulers? Who might never win a game but just do their damnedest to stomp the poo poo out of other people's star players.

Then you'd be playing as Goblins or Halflings

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If only this game didn't sound incredibly tedious...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah Goblins are basically an entire team of foulers. They even have three dudes on there that explicitly break the rules of the game, to the point where you need to bribe the ref to keep them on the pitch for more than one drive.

One of them is the 'fanatic', who is the only guy who can throw more than one block per turn. He does this by randomly spinning off with a ball and chain in a random direction (you literally only get to set the up/down/left/right direction, then you roll to see if he scatters diagonally). He has more strength than anyone else in the game and if he hits someone who's down, he gets to try to injure them all over again without worrying about ejection. Of course, he gets ejected after someone gets a touchdown or a half expires, so meh.

Another one carries a chain saw, and instead of throwing block dice, he just goes straight up apeshit on someone with a chainsaw, which ends pretty much exactly the way you'd expect most of the time. Unless the chainsaw kicks back at him, which is bad.

The last one is a bombadier. He literally throws bombs for a living.

After that, your common Goblin is a very cheap and disposable piece, so if they get sent off while removing a more expensive piece from the game, that's a net win for you. So fouling makes a lot of sense.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like the in-game explanation for why they don't get sent off ASAP - The ref is too scared to go near them, so just doesn't resume the next round until the fanatic has inevitably knocked himself out, or the chainsaw rune out of fuel or whatever.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

This is my favourite player purely because (at least i'm fairly sure) you have to throw the bomb at another player. This means they can catch it and throw it back. This is a bad idea against elf teams, which featured an elf and my bomber throwing the bomb between them six or so times before my bomber hosed up the catch and it blew up on him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dogstile posted:

This is my favourite player purely because (at least i'm fairly sure) you have to throw the bomb at another player. This means they can catch it and throw it back. This is a bad idea against elf teams, which featured an elf and my bomber throwing the bomb between them six or so times before my bomber hosed up the catch and it blew up on him.

This is why you throw it next to them instead of to them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It doesn't matter, they get a right to intercept if the bomb crosses their TZ, same as normal interception rules. And since a bomb doesn't have the normal penalty to catching it most dudes you huck it at will have a fair chance of catching it. The Bombadier is a tiny little rear end in a top hat who has difficulty throwing stuff, so if you get into a throwing war with someone odds are great that he's gonna gently caress it up. The Bombadier's big use is throwing bombs at big, strong guys with no dexterity, of which there is usually only one on a team and it's frequently difficult to get them alone enough to throw explosives their way. Lizardfolk teams HATE Bombadiers, though, because half of their lineup is big, strong guys with no dexterity and the rest of their lineup are pieces that are really similar to a rank and file Goblin - who, as we've established, aren't that great.

The real rear end in a top hat on a Goblin team's lineup is frequently the chainsaw guy, because he can happily run up and buzzsaw someone's unique little snow flake if given half a chance, and there's relatively little they can do about it. The Fanatic is kind of high variance. On one hand, if he gets on a roll and is positioned well he will cut a huge bloody swath into your opponent's cage. On the other hand he's just as likely to hit one guy, fall over, and knock himself out on the first play.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Don't forget the Dark Elf Assassins, who can straight up shiv a guy. They're chainsaw goblins except weaker, you get two, and they stay on the field the whole game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The best part about the Assassin is that he starts with Shadowing, which is a skill that lets him stalk someone who is running away from him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Coolguye posted:

IRL pic of one

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't forget the Dark Elf Assassins, who can straight up shiv a guy. They're chainsaw goblins except weaker, you get two, and they stay on the field the whole game.

Stay on the field the whole game my arse, I foul everyones special snowflake stabbers. I'll even give up a TD for it. So many tears

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C. Everett Koop posted:

IRL pic of one

The Dragon? That's an elf, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

The Dragon? That's an elf, son.