Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

You really shouldn't use a single study and apply the result to everybody like that (or apply it at all). People are different and react to things differently.

Obviously it's going to vary from person to person but "I know a few of the important things about this so I'm not even going to try it for myself" is a pretty crappy line of thinking. Is there really anything to gain from being so defeatist about it like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Obviously it's going to vary from person to person but "I know a few of the important things about this so I'm not even going to try it for myself" is a pretty crappy line of thinking. Is there really anything to gain from being so defeatist about it like that?

It's more that 99% of all journalism about science is garbage (even more than journalism usually is). If an article says "A new study tells us that X" there is a really big chance that the study doesn't say that and might even actually say the opposite.

Even if an article is accurate about the results of a study, the study probably isn't conclusive in any way and needs about a hundred more similar studies before it's actually considered relevant in any way.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion about spoilers by the way.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 13, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

Yeah, I generally don't agree with posting articles and studies on that since it's something you can't necessarily prove only give personal experiences for. People respond to things in their own unique ways and have their own personal feelings. Now, I can't acknowledge that because it would mean I would have to recognize Internet people as actual people when in reality they're all just things I made up for my own personal amusement.

i am pretty amusing *spins bowtie*

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I don't know what to tell you guys. It's just a mindset knowing "Well, I am going to get one of three outcomes" really takes me out of the experience and makes me aware I'm playing a game instead of letting myself get swept up in the narrative. If the game plays with even that notion, then that's actually pretty great and nobody confirm or deny it, but I've been burnt on high expectations so many times that my heart has turned to stone somewhat.

I guess certain stuff just makes me aware I'm experiencing a piece of media, and because of that I'm made aware that that isn't the best way to experience it, and that takes me out of the experience. It's like watching American Horror Story with my SO. She talks about characters and events as if they really happened as we discuss things, and I just always think about it and discuss it in the mindset of "Well, this is how the writers portrayed things for drama and to make things seem plausible." It's just how I'm built. I'm easily taken out of the moment. I don't think anyone is gonna convince me otherwise.

The fact that people are baffled on someone having a different mindset like mine is what's super confusing. It's just media. People enjoy it (or not enjoy it) in their own way. Calling people crazy/less of a person is just kinda lovely.

And yeah, knowing that there's a twist isn't a catch-all, that's just unreasonable. It's just this particular game for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

It's more that 99% of all journalism about science is garbage (even more than journalism usually is). If an article says "A new study tells us that X" there is a really big chance that the study doesn't say that and might even actually say the opposite.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion about spoilers by the way.

I guess so, but it's really not just one study from one article, that's why I said "articles like this", because there have been tons of them over the years. It's a genuine documented phenomenon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I guess so, but it's really not just one study from one article, that's why I said "articles like this", because there have been tons of them over the years. It's a genuine documented phenomenon.

I'm probably just too quick to jump on this topic since, as a scientist/researcher, science journalism being garbage is a big pet peeve of mine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So It Goes posted:

I also could not disagree more strongly with that last sentence and think that's a legitimately insane way to interact with society and media. You are genuinely selling yourself short as a person to let stuff like that affect your interaction with media to the degree it apparently does.

Uh excuse me, that's the best way to interpret consumable goods. I refuse to try things the more popular and hyped they become. It's why I've never played Dark Souls, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Wolfenstein: The New Order, any Pokemon game, and Call of Duty.

Also, I avoid any and all Birthday Parties and Christmas celebrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

I'm probably just too quick to jump on this topic since, as a scientist/researcher, science journalism being garbage is a big pet peeve of mine.

I mean you're not wrong that news media study presentation is often bullshit, it's just that the reason I brought it up is because there's actual evidence that it's true, being-reported-through-journalism aside. If it was just sensationalist hooey then I wouldn't have said anything.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pulp rag posted:

I don't know what to tell you guys. It's just a mindset knowing "Well, I am going to get one of three outcomes" really takes me out of the experience and makes me aware I'm playing a game instead of letting myself get swept up in the narrative. If the game plays with even that notion, then that's actually pretty great and nobody confirm or deny it, but I've been burnt on high expectations so many times that my heart has turned to stone somewhat.

I guess certain stuff just makes me aware I'm experiencing a piece of media, and because of that I'm made aware that that isn't the best way to experience it, and that takes me out of the experience. It's like watching American Horror Story with my SO. She talks about characters and events as if they really happened as we discuss things, and I just always think about it and discuss it in the mindset of "Well, this is how the writers portrayed things for drama and to make things seem plausible." It's just how I'm built. I'm easily taken out of the moment. I don't think anyone is gonna convince me otherwise.

The fact that people are baffled on someone having a different mindset like mine is what's super confusing. It's just media. People enjoy it (or not enjoy it) in their own way. Calling people crazy/less of a person is just kinda lovely.

And yeah, knowing that there's a twist isn't a catch-all, that's just unreasonable. It's just this particular game for me.

I cannot understand this on any level I'm sorry

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Ah well. I don't blame you or anyone in the thread. It's just how I am.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I was genuinely surprised by the fact that the Undertale discussion actually was fairly civil. The only real point I took umbrage with was Pat claiming "the ending(s) blinded you to the flaws of the game" which made me legitimately kind of annoyed, because really dude? Come on. Other than that it's simply a case of him not jiving with the humor and characters the same way I and the other 3 guys did. It's a game made primarily by a single guy, so if you don't find his sense of humor funny most of the time, then that's that. The emotional stuff isn't going to hit you as hard. It jived with my sensibilities almost perfectly, so everything was that much more powerful when it counted, and when it didn't count I still loved it anyway.

The random battles were great you just gotta get good at making friends you big baby.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ruggington posted:

I cannot understand this on any level I'm sorry

I get it (I think). It sounds like it's kind of an issue of how able you are to suspend your disbelief, to trick yourself into thinking fictional characters are real, that the idea of a "canon" of fictional events actually means anything, that what you are reading / watching is what characters are doing/feeling/thinking and not what a writer thought would be entertaining/dramatic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I love how Matt brings up the Worf destroying barrel almost every TNG discussion. Like no sarcasm, it gets a chuckle out of me.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 13, 2015

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

I get it (I think). It sounds like it's kind of an issue of how able you are to suspend your disbelief, to trick yourself into thinking fictional characters are real, that the idea of a "canon" of fictional events actually means anything, that what you are reading / watching is what characters are doing/feeling/thinking and not what a writer thought would be entertaining/dramatic.

Yeah. That's put way better. "Suspension of disbelief" is the phrase I was trying to remember.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

I understood the basic idea, I just really can't relate to being taken out of a piece of fiction because I know how the sausage is made

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Ruggington posted:

I understood the basic idea, I just really can't relate to being taken out of a piece of fiction because I know how the sausage is made

Then what's the issue you're having?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Like, I know the Snake People got Matt Damon off of Mars ages ago, but I can still get into Matt Damon Hanging Out on a Soundstage The Movie

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CuddlyZombie posted:

not what a writer thought would be entertaining/dramatic.

But this is like the most interesting part of the sausage. For me seeing the designer's influence can be immersion breaking, but I can still respect the puppet show you've put on for me and the mastery and value inherent in such a path. I'm not gonna smash it over my knee like so many other weaker things.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pulp rag posted:

Then what's the issue you're having?

by "understand" I meant more that I couldn't relate to the situation

guess I could have been more clear there :sweatdrop:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Originally, in 2015, this post had a really bad interpretation of a spoiler study that got published in 2011. For one, the spoiler research linked was attributed to some random writer of an article (which made the sensationalist article title seem more damning) instead of the original... scientists? Anyway, that's linked here. Also I did not know what a 9-point hedonic rating was, which is like those questions on surveys that ask you if you are "likely, somewhat likely, neither likely or unlikely, somewhat unlikely, unlikely" to do something, which obviously has nothing to do with the number of people in the study (which does skew heavily on women, 176 male and 643 female participants). I know it's incredibly unlikely that anyone will go through this dumb post from 2015 in the Best Friends thread but I was bored and also realized my own realization was bullshit since this study still comes up and prompted me to check my reasoning on it again.

Anyway, hi archive readers!

CJacobs posted:

I mean you're not wrong that news media study presentation is often bullshit, it's just that the reason I brought it up is because there's actual evidence that it's true, being-reported-through-journalism aside. If it was just sensationalist hooey then I wouldn't have said anything.

The problem isn't the articles (which all point to the same study), it's that the correlation in the study isn't so strong as to say that it's true absolutely.

Like, the linked study is this tiny bit of news:
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

Which comes down to this tiny little graph:

Which shows a tiny difference (less than an actual person!) between people liking the story spoiled vs. unspoiled, and in one of those cases the unspoiled version is liked better. And the study says nothing about the cause of the correlation and even admits it's outside of the case of the study.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 26, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

The problem isn't the articles (which all point to the same study), it's that the correlation in the study isn't so strong as to say that it's true absolutely.

Like, the linked study is this tiny bit of news:
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

Which comes down to this tiny little graph:

Which shows a tiny difference (less than an actual person!) between people liking the story spoiled vs. unspoiled, and in one of those cases the unspoiled version is liked better. And the study says nothing about the cause of the correlation and even admits it's outside of the case of the study.

I would say that it absolutely is a problem with the articles. They shouldn't report on things without actually looking at the study to make sure they aren't writing bullshit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

I would say that it absolutely is a problem with the articles. They shouldn't report on things without actually looking at the study to make sure they aren't writing bullshit.

While true, the title of the study "Spoiler Alert: Stories Are Not Spoiled by 'Spoilers'" is kind of sensationalist garbage to begin with.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

While true, the title of the study "Spoiler Alert: Stories Are Not Spoiled by 'Spoilers'" is kind of sensationalist garbage to begin with.

Sure I agree with that, the study seems pretty bad too.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

FauxGateau posted:

But this is like the most interesting part of the sausage. For me seeing the designer's influence can be immersion breaking, but I can still respect the puppet show you've put on for me and the mastery and value inherent in such a path. I'm not gonna smash it over my knee like so many other weaker things.

That can also be compelling (and in this case I definitely think it is), but for entirely different reasons.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can accept the Pat crazy because it's actually pretty mild in this case: he acknowledges skeletal supremacy, praises the music, says everything from the core on is fantastic, etc.

I even agree with him about the funniest part of the game (it's also the only part where I totally lost it).

As for spoilers a person only gets one shot at a clean viewing so just let them have it, there's plenty of time for more well informed viewings later.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Ruggington posted:

by "understand" I meant more that I couldn't relate to the situation

guess I could have been more clear there :sweatdrop:

No problems there on the misunderstanding. I gently caress up a lot in explaining poo poo.

FauxGateau posted:

Pretty much.

I didn't mean I don't enjoy fiction knowing what goes into it, I love looking for the seams in fiction and media because I can appreciate the work and performances that goes into it as someone that makes media myself. It just seems that Undertale is a game that kinda relies on you getting swept up (unless I'm wrong, as Dias says I am, and I'm super okay with that), and doubly so from people talking about it so highly and so much, that I'm not gonna have anywhere close to a "genuine" reaction, so I'm not even gonna bother with playing the game myself. It's why I wanna give it to my SO. She'll have a genuine reaction not knowing anything about it, and I'll probably have a fantastic time discussing it with her from an "outsider" perspective.

My original intention was to explain to people that it's not unreasonable to come to a conclusion similar to Pat's due to the community hyping and discussing the game a ton - not that my mindset is the "best" one or that spoilers/discussions/whatever are always terrible. Hell, I don't think spoilers/discussions/whatever for this game is bad for it. I'm aware I'm one of the few people to have this kind of experience.

Whatever, let's get back to our usual yelling at Matt, Pat, Woolie, and Liam for doing weird stuff. I still need to listen to this week's podcast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been selling people on Undertale by linking them to the final boss of the Genocide run, and gotten at least ten people to buy it because of that.

Come at me salty spoiler babies :smug:

edit: new episode :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWYDZvcHwfk

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been selling people on Undertale by linking them to the final boss of the Genocide run, and gotten at least ten people to buy it because of that.

Come at me salty spoiler babies :smug:

If only I could go back and record my initial reaction to that fight and my immediate bodybagging

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'd be a world famous Let's Reactor

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On a related note Pat is surprisingly more likely to cut decent Rustlemania II promos than Woolie. So he has that 'right' brand of crazy that says 'okay, I guess I can trust you around my children.' But not 'oh god, all the sliverware is gone and the phone lines are cut.'

Rustlemania II: Promo Character Tier list
1. The Punishment - good idea for a character, but didn't use a bunch of puns. You can retcon this of course. Performance and voice seemed to either evoke Savage or Warrior. Good pull.
2. Cactus Pat - good energy, easy to get caught up in his crazy bibles. He really nailed the crazy whisper on skelebones bit.
3. Liam - can't see his eyes so I don't know if I can trust him not to hustle me. hustle my heart more like. Deadpan talking at the camera was good really Cena-like. Good stuff good stuff.
4. El Woolío - oh woolie. His dorky mouth breathing through the mask killed me.

Future Storyline ideas:
Tag teams(time travel?)
MR. McMuscles becomes new ceo of zaibatsu turns Rage into a product. In order to 'new coke' Rage for Cenable.
Cactus Pat soul transfers into Zubaz's corpse, but has to go to the storeroom from Raiders to get it.(this one might be a little difficult to manage)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Was that intro in Undertale supposed to played two episodes in a row?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

HGH posted:

Was that intro in Undertale supposed to played two episodes in a row?

Yeah, That sort of strikes me as a workflow error.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Not an error, I just thought two episodes was enough to catch people up. Won't be on any subsequent episodes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I love how Matt brings up the Worf destroying barrel almost every TNG discussion. Like no sarcasm, it gets a chuckle out of me.

"Matt and Pat discuss how wonderfully stupid star trek is" was my favorite part of these last two casts, I'm gonna be sad when it stops.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
So what I'm getting from the last 50 replies in this thread is that I should play Undertale.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Yeah, go for it, dude.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I don't know if it would strictly count as a horror game, but Medievil 2 took place in Victorian London, with zombies and pumpkins wandering the streets. It really is a good setting for horror games so it's surprising it's not as exploited as it could be.

Koudelka is also in the late Victorian period and that was creepy as hell.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

how does koudelka compare to shadow hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Ruggington posted:

how does koudelka compare to shadow hearts

No idea, I haven't played Shadow Hearts. It had a grid based system for placing members of your party, sort of like a chess board, and the difficulty seemed unforgiving but it's been years since I saw it. As for spooks, the setting was a really grimy castle/church with lots of deformed silent hill-esque monsters.