Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

You're not a normal or reasonable person if your first reflex is to take out a gun and confront a robber who is in your house. Vacate the premises or lock yourself in, call the police. This is a safer course of action both for you and the robber, and that way you won't shoot your wife who is going up the stairs after taking a leak in the downstairs bathroom.
(Of course robbers are after valuable stuff, they're not bloodthirsty animals who will attempt to kill you just for fun, you paranoid person)

Did you really just say I should try to create a safer environment for a robber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

Did you really just say I should try to create a safer environment for a robber?

i can see how this would be a baffling and, frankly, disgusting thing if your intent is for someone to put themselves into a position so that you can legally murder them. if someone takes your xbox, they do not deserve to live, and you have the right to end their miserable, worm-like existence

in fact, it's frankly unfair that once this bandit is apprehended by the authorities, that they cannot then execute the miscreant on the spot and throw his wretched dusky corpse in a ditch with the other vermin

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 13, 2015

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

various cheeses posted:

No, you should immediately and recklessly escalate any and all bumps in the night into a shoot out.

Don't let those raccoons get away with your trash.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

President Kucinich posted:

Other than the increased risk of dying or inadvertently killing a loved one.

You can break your neck getting out of bed every day too.

Statistically, there are some non-gun ways to make your home more safe against burglars, such as investing in doors that are harder to kick in (which will make the cops give you extra charges when they kick in your door on a no-knock raid) and using a home security system (which is enormously expensive and generally beyond the means of poor people). Or, I guess, live in an area with a low crime rate. Again, out of the reach of many poor people.

Speaking of the police it is really wierd to me seeing some of the same people who say cops are more dangerous than criminals over in the whine about cops thread posting here saying you should rely on them to protect your home.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

various cheeses posted:

Yes I did. You shouldn't be lusting for robber death, at any rate. Your aim shouldn't be to murder, or even maim another person eve if he is robbing your house. Because no robbery warrants death and if you belive the contrary you are pretty hosed up in the head (in fact no crime warrants death).

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

You're not a normal or reasonable person if your first reflex is to take out a gun and confront a robber who is in your house. Vacate the premises or lock yourself in, call the police. This is a safer course of action both for you and the robber, and that way you won't shoot your wife who is going up the stairs after taking a leak in the downstairs bathroom.
(Of course robbers are after valuable stuff, they're not bloodthirsty animals who will attempt to kill you just for fun, you paranoid person)

For reducing your exposure risk to criminal charges, it's best to barricade yourself, announce that you are armed, call the police, and sit tight. Different states have different interpretations of the law around when you can use lethal force against an intruder. In Texas, Joe Horn shot and killed two burglars who were burglarizing a neighbor's house, claimed self-defense, and was cleared of wrong doing. Where I live, in Michigan, a couple years back a Detroiter shot and killed a woman banging on his door at night, claimed self-defense, and was convicted of 2nd degree murder.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how much monetary value does a person have to take for it to be OK to kill them

what's the tipping point

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

President Kucinich posted:

Other than the increased risk of dying or inadvertently killing a loved one.

By touching a gun, you are consigning yourself to pure chance. No amount of safety, training or proper handling can unbind you from the wheel of fortune

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Gun owners should, instead of relying on the possibility the burglar is ready and waiting for them so they can end their lives, just use their rights more directly.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

(in fact no crime warrants death).

Spoken like someone who has never had to defend themselves from anything in their life, ever, other than harsh language.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

-Troika- posted:

You can break your neck getting out of bed every day too.

Statistically, there are some non-gun ways to make your home more safe against burglars, such as investing in doors that are harder to kick in (which will make the cops give you extra charges when they kick in your door on a no-knock raid) and using a home security system (which is enormously expensive and generally beyond the means of poor people). Or, I guess, live in an area with a low crime rate. Again, out of the reach of many poor people.

Speaking of the police it is really wierd to me seeing some of the same people who say cops are more dangerous than criminals over in the whine about cops thread posting here saying you should rely on them to protect your home.

It doesn't have much to do with police and everything to do with general principles of dealing with a home invasion the best way possible so as to avoid injury. Staying put, making sure to be quiet, remaining calm, and making sure all person's living in the home know what the plan is in such a situation are bog standard points.

And yes police are poo poo, but we can make them even shittier with our votes!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

-Troika- posted:

Statistically, there are some non-gun ways to make your home more safe against burglars, such as investing in doors that are harder to kick in (which will make the cops give you extra charges when they kick in your door on a no-knock raid) and using a home security system (which is enormously expensive and generally beyond the means of poor people).

Lol no they're not. A home security system is around $30 a month, and unlike guns actually works to deter burglars when you're not home.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snowman Crossing posted:

Where I live, in Michigan, a couple years back a Detroiter shot and killed a woman banging on his door at night, claimed self-defense, and was convicted of 2nd degree murder.

this is liberal insanity. banging on someone's door in the middle of the night is a horrible and risky crime

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Snowman Crossing posted:

For reducing your exposure risk to criminal charges, it's best to barricade yourself, announce that you are armed, call the police, and sit tight. Different states have different interpretations of the law around when you can use lethal force against an intruder. In Texas, Joe Horn shot and killed two burglars who were burglarizing a neighbor's house, claimed self-defense, and was cleared of wrong doing. Where I live, in Michigan, a couple years back a Detroiter shot and killed a woman banging on his door at night, claimed self-defense, and was convicted of 2nd degree murder.

Oh, wow, I didn't think I'd see someone stick up for that guy. I guess you live on the Dutch Coast, then? Usually the north suburbs aren't quite this crude.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Monkey Fracas posted:

how much monetary value does a person have to take for it to be OK to kill them

what's the tipping point

what color are they?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

Not confronting them is also safer for you, numb nuts.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

Spoken like someone who has never had to defend themselves from anything in their life, ever, other than harsh language.

How many people have you killed, and do you masturbate over their deaths collectively or individually?

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

SedanChair posted:

By touching a gun, you are consigning yourself to pure chance. No amount of safety, training or proper handling can unbind you from the wheel of fortune

Yep. Merely owning a gun makes it inevitable that you or someone you love will be slain by it. You won't know when, but it's always just hanging there like the sword of loving Damocles.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lemming posted:

i dont think you understand the point of owning a weapon. it is to ensure that nobody ever emasculates me or challenges my authority on my own private property. if you can't have that, why are you even alive?

Snowman Crossing posted:

Yep. Merely owning a gun makes it inevitable that you or someone you love will be slain by it. You won't know when, but it's always just hanging there like the sword of loving Damocles.

inevitable is a strong word. you're looking for probable. owning a gun makes it far more probable that it will be used against you or a family member, but this is a small price to pay for personal security and pieces of mind

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

The fact that you view 'do not escalate a situation', which is part of basic firearms training in literally every form, as 'OH SO WHAT I JUST ROLL OUT THE RED CARPET FOR CRIME' is probably the most telling post itt.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

if only there was some way to unbind yourself from pure chance

nope, all encounters simply place you, your assailant and a gun into a giant metaphysical blender and it's entirely random who pops out at the end

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
You'd think gun owners would just call for legalized dueling if they wanted to get their killing on, but I guess they are all stupid beyond belief.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

You'd think gun owners would just call for legalized dueling if they wanted to get their killing on, but I guess they are all stupid beyond belief.

well they do, but most people don't consider it a duel if there's only one duelist

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

I'm effectronica, I'm here to issue vague death threats and make sense

And I'm all out of sense

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

if only there was some way to unbind yourself from pure chance

nope, all encounters simply place you, your assailant and a gun into a giant metaphysical blender and it's entirely random who pops out at the end

Look at Quick-Draw McGraw over here.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

-Troika- posted:

Yes, it is a well-known fact that poorer areas are the prime target for home invasions.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

various cheeses posted:

Let's discuss why guns are so cool here instead of the USPOL thread. Just a brief stop on the way to the gas chamber folks!

i think guns are mechanically neat and enjoyable to shoot for fun

the problem is all these people who seem to think they'll be using them to murder nogoodnicks like they were the punisher

and also all the people who are nogoodnicks who get guns very easily because of our ridiculous laws

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yes, it is a well-known fact that poorer areas are the prime target for home invasions.

"statistically this isn't even happening right now"

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Yes I did. You shouldn't be lusting for robber death, at any rate. Your aim shouldn't be to murder, or even maim another person eve if he is robbing your house. Because no robbery warrants death and if you belive the contrary you are pretty hosed up in the head (in fact no crime warrants death).

The ideal situation is to scare the guy off, but if he keeps coming for some reason, yeah I'm going to defend myself and shoot til he stops. Then I'm going to get him an ambulance if he's alive.

A guy committing a robbery is not the victim here. Holy jeez.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Are you really trying to prove a point with a depiction of the Wild West that's completely devoid of diversity

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"Honey, please, can't we just have a living room that doesn't look like an obstacle course? Just for my mom's birthday?"

"I'm preparing the battlespace, dammit. Now pass me the caltrops."

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Talking about the inherent value of human life is not a productive topic of conversation when talking to gun fanboys. A better thing to point out is that their guns are worse than useless in most robberies and it's not just about them.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Oh, wow, I didn't think I'd see someone stick up for that guy. I guess you live on the Dutch Coast, then? Usually the north suburbs aren't quite this crude.

No, I think the person in both examples should have been convicted. I was trying to illustrate how the pendulum swings between states. The guy in Texas goes free where the guy in Michigan, who at least could have possibly perceived a threat to himself (unlike Joe Horn) was rightfully convicted.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

various cheeses posted:

The ideal situation is to scare the guy off, but if he keeps coming for some reason, yeah I'm going to defend myself and shoot til he stops. Then I'm going to get him an ambulance if he's alive.

the ideal situation is to not seek out a person and potentially have to shoot him, if there are alternatives available

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Also homes where only a woman or a woman with kids are present.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

various cheeses posted:

No, you are going to die, and put the lives of your family in jeopardy.
Please read this for actual advice on a) how home invaders actually operate, and b) how to react when faced with home invasion : http://www.crimedoctor.com/homeinvasion.htm

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
for example, one alternative is to consider that an xbox and a tv are not worth a person's life, and merely lock your door and call the police

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tezzor posted:

Talking about the inherent value of human life is not a productive topic of conversation when talking to gun fanboys.
I hold human life in very high regard and if you disagree with me you should kill u r self bcuz of ur small penis.

~ Tezzor, 2015.

No, you are going to die, and put the lives of your family in jeopardy.
Please read this for actual advice on a) how home invaders actually operate, and b) how to react when faced with home invasion : http://www.crimedoctor.com/homeinvasion.htm
This is a very convincing blog. Really makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Literally The Worst posted:

the ideal situation is to not seek out a person and potentially have to shoot him, if there are alternatives available

Wrong, fucker. Slaughtering subhumans is the work of all decent men, and such women as have the stomach for it. Nits make lice.

• Locked thread