Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Far too much hope in the human race, as if taking away pet ownership would stop people, especially us loving white people from wasting money on ridiculous poo poo just so transnational corporations can continue to gently caress us.

Like Mikey fuckin' Jones from Coburg after having his dogs taken from him, will magically decide "gently caress me, now the girls are gone I better help them fuckin refugeeses with money and food and poo poo"

What the hell?

Edit: Oh god drat it not again, it's been too long of a week and I hate getting sniped...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

GoldStandardConure posted:

The only ethically correct pet:

I think your dog is sick, it looks weird

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Kill all cats, feed all dogs on the massive oversupply of dim sims.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robodog posted:

Kill all cats, feed all dogs on the massive oversupply of dim sims.

Wow nice casual racism fucko.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you are a true utilitarian just tell every white person you meet to kill themselves.

Much more effective than pet holocaust in terms of greatest utility for greatest number.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Actually cats are the ideologically correct pet. gently caress you all.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

No animal has more liberty than the cat, but it buries the mess it makes. The cat is the best anarchist.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Ernest Hemingway was a dill: Kill cats for Christ.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Seriously though the quoll does offer a good alternative, apparently?

http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2015/03/19/4200500.htm

Nah, though. I've got a family of these cocks living in my roof and it sucks. All just suddenly fighting in the middle of the night, rattling the windows and doors, screaming loudly and constantly for hours at a time. gently caress quolls.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Gizmo and I apologise for destroying the world. Tigger is unapologetic.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 13, 2015

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Seagull posted:

I think your dog is sick, it looks weird

Isn't it pretty unethical to own parrots? Seems unnecessarily cruel unless it's a rescued parrot.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Is Rundle an MRA? I don't have a crikey account to find out :(

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/10/13/rundle-our-domestic-violence-obsessed-misandric-media-ignores-male-murder/

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

tomkash posted:

Isn't it pretty unethical to own parrots? Seems unnecessarily cruel unless it's a rescued parrot.

Only if you don't take care of them properly. They are a lot of work, you can't just put them in a cage and shovel seed at them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Comparably speaking, a cow is of more utility than a cat yet does great environmental damage every day. Stop the cows!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So were all going to adopt trees as pets then?

Youtube will suffer.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
A pathological hatred of cats is just one of those red flags, like a Southern Cross tattoo or a fondness for talkback radio, that immediately lets you know that someone is just an irredeemably terrible person. It's a real timesaver actually.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Cats will kill another animal for a purpose other than to eat it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Vladimir Poutine posted:

A pathological hatred of cats is just one of those red flags, like a Southern Cross tattoo or a fondness for talkback radio, that immediately lets you know that someone is just an irredeemably terrible person. It's a real timesaver actually.

on the other hand...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Cats have the same basic approach to life and others as liberal party voters.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You're a bunch of nutcases.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

And yet if you go too far the other way, you end up being a crazy cat person.

If only they didn't slaughter millions of native animals. But clearly anyone who hates something that is driving innumerable species to the brink of extinction is a bad person.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
not even a corn field has this many strawmen

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Frogmanv2 posted:

If only they didn't slaughter millions of native animals

Or alternatively, buy a door.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Or alternatively, buy a gun safe.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
BRB starting Catter's Australia Party.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office is a real political office that has existed since 1515.

It is held by a cat

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
oh no those poor delicate asian investors

quote:

Asian investors in Melbourne's central business district have been "stunned" by new rules restricting skyscraper density in the city centre, a planning consultancy that works extensively with overseas firms building apartment towers has warned.

Urbis director Sarah Horsfield said the new rules risked putting "a handbrake on investment".

Ms Horsfield told a Property Council breakfast that the introduction of the one-year interim rules last month had hurt the confidence "of a lot of our Asian investor clients who have been quite frankly stunned that the rules of the game can be so fundamentally changed overnight without any prior warning".

Interim measures on the height and density of skyscrapers have undermined investor confidence, a planning consultancy and real estate agents have warned.
Interim measures on the height and density of skyscrapers have undermined investor confidence, a planning consultancy and real estate agents have warned. Photo: Josh Robenstone
But the government insists that billions of investment dollars are expected to flow into the CBD.

The measures impose mandatory height limits for an initial one-year period and require more space between buildings and shadow and wind controls.

The measures dictate that highrise buildings in the CBD can only go above set, lower height limits if they make trade-offs with contributions to public open space or other community facilities.

City real estate agents CBRE, which has been successful in marketing scores of CBD properties to Asian investors, said there had "been a major shift in terms of confidence from developers coming to Melbourne from Malaysia, Singapore and China since the election of the Andrews government" because former planning minister Matthew Guy signed off on so many high-rise apartment projects.

"Victoria needs to be very aware of how many of these groups are now looking to deploy capital to both New South Wales and Queensland. It's real and they are a major threat to Victoria's competitiveness and future prosperity," said CBRE's Mark Wizel.

However, Planning Minister Minister Richard Wynne said this year he had approved more than $3.7 billion worth of construction around the inner city, including 6000 apartments and 1550 hotel rooms.

He said it was his responsibility to ensure investment improved the city rather than creating "dark, windy streets".

"What sort of a city does not have a plan for how it will grow?" he said. "Sydney, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong are among the major cities which have a plan for growth with far stricter conditions than what I have introduced."

The interim controls apply to the Hoddle Grid, which covers the CBD and Southbank.

Mr Wynne said he could also use his discretion to approve applications that "give something back to the community", such as open space or a child care centre.

The government will conduct consultation on the measures early next year before they are fully implemented.

Property Council Victorian deputy executive director Asher Judah said the property industry generally agreed that rules governing development in the CBD needed to be "refreshed". However, he said the latest measures had eroded the confidence of investors.

"The interim measures have undermined investor confidence and have raised question marks over the values of some properties in the city, particularly along Flinders Street," he said.

Mr Judah said Asian investors may have been rattled by the combination of the cancellation of the East West Link contract, a new foreign investors' tax and the latest interim measures.

He said those particular conditions did not exist in other cities, including Sydney and Brisbane.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 13, 2015

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

quote:

Bill Shorten's AWU 'sold out' workers for $300,000
Date
October 14, 2015 - 12:55AM
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shortens-awu--sold-out-workers-for-300000-20151013-gk80hn.html

A serious cloud hangs over Bill Shorten's record as a union leader. He ran a union that took $300,000 from an employer in disguised payments based on fraudulent invoices as part of a deal that hugely benefited that employer.

That's the damning conclusion from Tuesday's evidence to the royal commission into union corruption, and documentary records, of former Thiess John Holland senior executive Julian Rzesniowiecki.
Unfortunately for Shorten and his then AWU sidekick, Cesar Melhem, Rzesniowiecki kept a detailed diary from his mid-2000s dealings with the AWU duo over the $2.5billion EastLink tollway in Melbourne.

In the diary he records that Shorten, now Opposition Leader, proposed in December 2004 that builder Thiess John Holland pay for four AWU staff on site at the tollway project.

That would have equated to at least $1 million to the AWU over the three years it would take to build the road through Melbourne's south-east.
That figure was later negotiated down to $300,000 to, ostensibly, pay for one union organiser.

The diaries also show that Shorten's proposal came at a time when the parties were negotiating an industrial agreement that halved the number of mandatory rostered days off for workers.

"Politically the AWU has sold out the 36 day [hour] week," Rzesniowiecki wrote in his diary, noting also questions about how to publicly "package" the workplace deal to avoid criticism and how to "pay it out".

There is no doubt the workers were paid well on the project, their actual pay being above then current rates.

But the ground-breaking "flexibility" around weekend work and rosters was worth huge money to Thiess John Holland, tens of millions of dollars in fact, and possibly as much as $100 million.

The project was completed as much as six months ahead of time.

EastLink was celebrated by employers and conservative institutions like the Institute of Public Affairs because the builder had been able to minimise the influence on site of militant union the CFMEU, and reduce the conditions it had gained over many years.

In return the AWU got its kickbacks.

As Rzesniowiecki admitted on Tuesday, Thiess John Holland was prepared to receive and pay false or inflated invoices from the AWU for work either the company did not need or was not done.

That included for seminars and forums organised by the union, for AWU magazine advertisements and back strain research.

The true purpose was to disguise payments for an AWU organiser on the project.

Yet the builder had so little interest in what it got for its $300,000 it did not care if an organiser even turned up on EastLink. "It wasn't a concern to me," Rzesniowiecki admitted.

The AWU could spend the $300,000 as it saw fit, he told the royal commission.

From Rzesniowiecki's evidence and records, the payments were suggested by Shorten but implemented by Cesar Melhem, now an embattled Victorian MP.

Shorten on Tuesday said he struck no such deal for payments. True there is no document headlined "deal for dodgy payments".

Yet it was Shorten who ran the union as its state and national secretary when the money started to pour in from Thiess John Holland. His denials, and failing memory, are becoming harder to believe.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

How naive is it of me to hope that Shorten resigns for the good of the party? Very or Extremely?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I want to like cats but they all run away from me because I am tall and I have a deep voice so I look like Cat Lucifer to them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

How naive is it of me to hope that Shorten resigns for the good of the party? Very or Extremely?

Utterly

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
62 new posts I thought Birb shorted had a stroke or something but no, just another auspol cat fight

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

I want to like cats but they all run away from me because I am tall and I have a deep voice so I look like Cat Lucifer to them.

Sit still and look away. Acting enthusiastic towards most cats triggers their "everything interested in me that isn't a cat wants to eat me" response.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

He's just concerned about ethics.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Re fish for cat food, fish may have a lower carbon footprint but it sure as gently caress isn't sustainable

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Re fish for cat food, fish may have a lower carbon footprint but it sure as gently caress isn't sustainable

Not even fish farms? I don't know what their carbon footprint is like though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tommofork posted:

Not even fish farms? I don't know what their carbon footprint is like though.

Depends on the fish type, a lot of them use huge amounts of wild catch as feed and you usually get around 10% energy transfer from one consumption to the next so they can be even less efficient as a human is getting 1% of the energy from the wild catch instead of 10% you can substitute some other stuff for part of the feed, but tuna and poo poo still need a lot of meat

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Death is certain :( Thanks for the effort and the ongoing clarifications.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tommofork posted:

Death is certain :( Thanks for the effort and the ongoing clarifications.

Maintaining a suitable level of uniform misery is what I'm here for

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

Sit still and look away. Acting enthusiastic towards most cats triggers their "everything interested in me that isn't a cat wants to eat me" response.

I find it easiest just to bend down closer to their level, put out a hand toward them slowly and then just stay still until their innate curiosity compels them to come and smell your hand and decide you're not threatening; then you can tickle them or hug them or pick them up and put funny hats on them as per your wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

iajanus posted:

I find it easiest just to bend down closer to their level, put out a hand toward them slowly and then just stay still until their innate curiosity compels them to come and smell your hand and decide you're not threatening; then you can tickle them or hug them or pick them up and put funny hats on them as per your wish.

That too. Make sure to tickle their tummy if they roll over. In no way will that go badly for anybody ever.

• Locked thread