Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I remember running across a case where a woman gained the trust of an older man, then let in all her friends to slowly stab him to death with knives and steal his coin collection

I don't think "a gun" would have helped him as much as "stop trying to gently caress methheads" though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Yeah sedanchair. Shame on you for making that poor criminal's job harder by not giving him ALL of your money.

Truly the world is mad when we flock to the Internet to defend people committing armed robbery.

Criminals aren't people. They're subhuman trash, and gun owners are garbagemen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

various cheeses posted:

Yeah sedanchair. Shame on you for making that poor criminal's job harder by not giving him ALL of your money.

Truly the world is mad when we flock to the Internet to defend people committing armed robbery.

you know what would be fantastic is if you responded to things i actually say, and not things that i don't

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

Most people end up paying between $500 and $1200 for window bars, depending on where they live. A reinforced door and frame (no point having one without the other) runs more than that. This is assuming you actually own your home and arn't just renting, in which case welp too bad you probably can't do any renovations.

A Glock 17, one of the more popular handguns in the US, generally runs between $400 and $600 bucks.

e: Also a home security system can run anywhere between $300 and $1800 on average.

I mean I can see where you're coming from with regards to the apartment/renting situation but does the cost of owning a firearm really stop at just the cost of the gun? How much time/money would you say you need to invest to become reliably proficient with it? I assume you don't just throw it on the nightstand and go "heh, I am protected" right?

Also I would think just making it physically very difficult for someone to enter your home would be a much more effective means of protection than making sure that in a desperate life or death struggle you come out on top

I mean sure add the gun for like a last ditch effort to prevent harm to your person but it seems more reliable to do the other stuff first to protect yourself

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"what's this? you're saying the robber wasn't actually looking to commit murder for fun? well you're defending the robber then"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

you know what would be fantastic is if you responded to things i actually say, and not things that i don't

he thinks that a handful of home invasion murders are more significant than the tens of thousands of brave patriots who sacrifice themselves on the altar of freedom, i think it's safe to say he's a scared and irrational person

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

President Kucinich posted:

The subtle but unmistakable hint that you will not be practicing an ounce of responsibility regarding your firearm ownership.

Sweet.

I am curious as to how you arrived at that conclusion from what I posted (which was information concerning the price of home security stuff vs a common handgun and nothing else).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

-Troika- posted:

I am curious as to how you arrived at that conclusion from what I posted (which was information concerning the price of home security stuff vs a common handgun and nothing else).
Poors are by nature irresponsible. That is why they are poor and why God loves them less.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

its the nothing else part, implying you will not also be buying a safe to put your gun in

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

"what's this? you're saying the robber wasn't actually looking to commit murder for fun? well you're defending the robber then"

honestly looking into his eyes I didn't think it was going to be for kicks, it was going to be because he was an idiot and I didn't see why when faced with shooting or not shooting me, he'd be predisposed to one or the other

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

-Troika- posted:

Where this gun's going, we don't need gun safes or shooting lessons.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean sure add the gun for like a last ditch effort to prevent harm to your person but

you know, when you look at the numbers, they are, uh well, yeah

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
as an added bonus if they can't get in they can't steal your stuff when you aren't home if you're in a terrible area where home invasions and daytime burglaries are common

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I lay concertina wire all through mu bushes, so that any Jr. criminals scoping out my place under the guise of looking for a ball get their arms and legs slashed to ribbons in payment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

I lay concertina wire all through mu bushes, so that any Jr. criminals scoping out my place under the guise of looking for a ball get their arms and legs slashed to ribbons in payment.

I put on my robe and cabela's hat

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you know, when you look at the numbers, they are, uh well, yeah

for the purposes of this thought experiment I am assuming you will not murder yourself and none of your dumb kids will shoot themselves or you

Most people think "oh that'll never happen to me, dumbass" (wrongly) so I'm kinda ignoring it

may god have mercy on my soul

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

honestly looking into his eyes I didn't think it was going to be for kicks, it was going to be because he was an idiot and I didn't see why when faced with shooting or not shooting me, he'd be predisposed to one or the other

yeah that's fair, in the context of the rest of this thread your particular phrasing had a different connotation is all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I like the pungi sticks smeared in my own feces approach.

Gives you something to do of an evening.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

for the purposes of this thought experiment I am assuming you will not murder yourself and none of your dumb kids will shoot themselves or you

Most people think "oh that'll never happen to me, dumbass" (wrongly) so I'm kinda ignoring it

may god have mercy on my soul

Bad things only happen to other people except for murder rape burglary; that one, god willing, is definitely going to happen to me.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Hard to decide if a serious post is worth this thread considering the level of poo poo posting, but here it goes.

I own a firearm, and my family owns a considerably large number overall(almost all from when my father used to hunt, a hobby I don't share, so I will likely sell most of them down the road). I have connsidered taking the tests to receive a concealed carrying permit, but just haven't really felt the need because I don't live my life in a constant of fear. Additionally, I am the kind of person who goes out of his way to avoid conflict, but I still go over "what if" scenarios in my head occasionally, and find I'd rather not find myself without a weapon when faced with one. That being said, I am perfectly willing to undergo a series of tests to essentially prove I am a responsible enough person to own and carry a firearm. I think a large number of 2nd Amendment purists truly fear they will be found wanting when it comes to proving they are simply competent/stable enough to have one in their possession. If you have to register and license your automobile I see no reason why firearms shouldn't be similar.

Also, if you want a home security system why not just get a dog? I'd imagine a loud dog scares off most would-be thieves...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Where this gun's going, we don't need gun safes or shooting lessons.

Yes, clearly in a post where I specifically discuss up front costs only I will add on a bunch of other stuff which is obviously required anyways just to make a salt golem happy. Even adding all that other stuff on the price is still less than installing bars on your windows and fortifying your front door. You're really grasping at straws here.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Uroboros posted:

Also, if you want a home security system why not just get a dog? I'd imagine a loud dog scares off most would-be thieves...
why not just get a bunch of claymores and bury them in your front yard and china cabinet so that criminals and gangbangers and lost children get shredded to kingdom come by the force of several thousand ball bearings

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Uroboros posted:

I think a large number of 2nd Amendment purists truly fear they will be found wanting when it comes to proving they are simply competent/stable enough to have one in their possession. If you have to register and license your automobile I see no reason why firearms shouldn't be similar.

This is basically me as well. I like firearms. I think shooting and owning them are fun. But I also understand they're not toys and should not be treated as such. If you're not competent enough to own a safe and keep your paperwork in order while also showing competency in owning and operating a firearm, you really have no business being around one.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

-Troika- posted:

Yes, clearly in a post where I specifically discuss up front costs only I will add on a bunch of other stuff which is obviously required anyways just to make a salt golem happy. Even adding all that other stuff on the price is still less than installing bars on your windows and fortifying your front door. You're really grasping at straws here.

You presented a cost that did not include the cost of items required for being responsible with one to make your comparison look rosier. Don't encourage irresponsible behavior with firearms, moron.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

You presented a cost that did not include the cost of items required for being responsible with one to make your comparison look rosier. Don't encourage irresponsible behavior with firearms, moron.

You, and many other people in this thread, are convinced that there is no possible responsible behaviour involved with guns, ergo there's no point in trying to make you happy in the first place. If you think a local gun owner is being irresponsible, file a police report.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

You, and many other people in this thread, are convinced that there is no possible responsible behaviour involved with guns, ergo there's no point in trying to make you happy in the first place. If you think a local gun owner is being irresponsible, file a police report.

You have psychic powers? Cool, but also worrying.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

This is basically me as well. I like firearms. I think shooting and owning them are fun. But I also understand they're not toys and should not be treated as such. If you're not competent enough to own a safe and keep your paperwork in order while also showing competency in owning and operating a firearm, you really have no business being around one.

Which is really saying something, because I can't imagine this test being very difficult. We all know barely functioning adults that can pass a driver's exam, I am sure there are plenty of people who could manage a basic firearms safety course. But I would like to think that some institutionalized registration would at least get us on the sane path to a more responsible gun climate, in that guns are highly dangerous, and are not toys, and don't make you a tough guy. As it is even in Illinois which requires a Firearm Owners Identification Card I can still just walk up to the local Army Surplus store and buy a medium machine gun.

-Troika- posted:

The guy just said he looks to shoot recreationally, so you are clearly wrong...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you really don't want to get robbed it'd be more effective to lock your door and do the window bar thing and then tape labeled keys to your neighbor's houses on the door.

Edit: Or burn your house down and live naked under a bridge

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

-Troika- posted:

Your reading comprehension is clearly garbage because the post we're talking about included two very clear principles of responsible behavior involving guns.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the issue of "gun control" more of a cultural one over what the socially response to fear and sensationalism should be? All mortality in the United States is about 820 people per 100,000 every year, representing an average life span of 78.8 years - the longest its ever been.

Gun deaths comprise about 6 of those 820 people, or less than one percent. Heart disease and cancer alone killed over 1,200,000 people last year. Firearm-related homicide is statistically insignificant. Further, 40% of firearms used in firearm violence are obtained illegally anyways, so what you're talking about is optimistically maybe reducing that 6 per 100,000 down to 4? Thats why I suggest that its a cultural issue more than a practical one. Basically every word and every penny spent on "gun control" is wasted in terms of impact, when there are other more efficient ways to improve the health and welfare of society.

First, I think that "gun control" is easy: bad man shoot gun, take away gun. Its much simpler for our animal brains to emote over a single causal link than it is to devote energy to fettering out and understanding underlying issues. There's a significant racial and socio-economic component to gun violence that gets muted because its socially unpopular to mention, but African Americans commit firearm homicide at a 300% greater rate than all other racial groups combined, accounting for ~60% of all gun deaths, despite only accounting for ~20% of the population. Its the sensational news stories about mass shootings that cause people to react, because its so concentrated and horrific, but its hard to think day-in and day-out about the poverty and educational shortcomings that feed the culture of lawlessness and violence, or how a greater number youths were gunned down in the streets during the two days leading up to [latest mass shooting] than were killed at that event. So, people wait for another social media trend, emote, tweet, and post their heart out for three weeks and then move on again. Bad man shot gun because... is too complicated for a movement.

Second, I think "gun control" is easy profiling; lots of old conservative white people seem to like guns, and we don't like old conservative white people, so we don't like guns. Anybody who likes guns is stupid and dumb, and now I have an easy little box to put people in so I don't have to think so hard about the nuance of their beliefs and cultural ideals. Just toss him into the racist/sexist/bigot bin with all the rest of them, and pat yourself on the back for having dismissed them so quickly.

Third, I think the emphasis (whether its shifted, or whether its always been there) is on "caring" far more than "understanding." It seems way more important to emote correctly about an issue than it does to seek rational comprehension and appreciation of all the sides of it. Its decidedly [Not Ok] to say, "I can understand why some people would like guns." or to say, "yeah, but what would gun control look like and what would that really solve?" because those sentiments put rationality before #ALLLIVESMATTER.

This is my effort post, there are many like it but this one is mine.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 13, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

You, and many other people in this thread, are convinced that there is no possible responsible behaviour involved with guns,

have i not mentioned the tens of thousands of steadfast american citizens every year who wisely choose to exercise their second amendment rights to self defense in the home?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blarzgh posted:

Gun deaths comprise about 6 of those 820 people, or less than one percent. Heart disease and cancer alone killed over 1,200,000 people last year. Firearm-related homicide is statistically insignificant. Further, 40% of firearms used in firearm violence are obtained illegally anyways, so what you're talking about is optimistically maybe reducing that 6 per 100,000 down to 4? Thats why I suggest that its a cultural issue more than a practical one. Basically every word and every penny spent on "gun control" is wasted in terms of impact, when there are other more efficient ways to improve the health and welfare of society.

it's a shame we are spending all of the money on gun control with none left over to expand access to healthcare, say, or provide grants to for health education and emergency services. alas, all of the money will continue to be spent on gun control, because that's the only thing the democratic platform consists of

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blarzgh posted:

Isn't the issue of "gun control" more of a cultural one over what the socially response to fear and sensationalism should be? All mortality in the United States is about 820 people per 100,000 every year, representing an average life span of 78.8 years - the longest its ever been.

First, I think that "gun control" is easy: bad man shoot gun, take away gun. Its much simpler for our animal brains to emote over a single causal link than it is to devote energy to fettering out and understanding underlying issues. There's a significant racial and socio-economic component to gun violence that gets muted because its socially unpopular to mention, but African Americans commit firearm homicide at a 300% greater rate than all other racial groups combined, accounting for ~60% of all gun deaths, despite only accounting for ~20% of the population. Its the sensational news stories about mass shootings that cause people to react, because its so concentrated and horrific, but its hard to think day-in and day-out about the poverty and educational shortcomings that feed the culture of lawlessness and violence, or how a greater number youths were gunned down in the streets during the two days leading up to [latest mass shooting] than were killed at that event. So, people wait for another social media trend, emote, tweet, and post their heart out for three weeks and then move on again. Bad man shot gun because... is too complicated for a movement.

Second, I think "gun control" is easy profiling; lots of old conservative white people seem to like guns, and we don't like old conservative white people, so we don't like guns. Anybody who likes guns is stupid and dumb, and now I have an easy little box to put people in so I don't have to think so hard about the nuance of their beliefs and cultural ideals. Just toss him into the racist/sexist/bigot bin with all the rest of them, and pat yourself on the back for having dismissed them so quickly.

Third, I think the emphasis (whether its shifted, or whether its always been there) is on "caring" far more than "understanding." It seems way more important to emote correctly about an issue than it does to seek rational comprehension and appreciation of all the sides of it. Its decidedly [Not Ok] to say, "I can understand why some people would like guns." or to say, "yeah, but what would gun control look like and what would that really solve?" because those sentiments put rationality before #ALLLIVESMATTER.

As an irrational, effeminate gun controller, I'm going to hunt you down, cut your dick off, then stuff it in your mouth.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

i think the responsible thing to do is to kepe your gun unloaded and locked up when not in use, by which i mean in your hand and being used, if you absolutely have to own a gun

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

blarzgh posted:

I agree, there are numerous problems society is facing that are much more harmful to the average citizen than gun violence, but this is the gun thread where we talk about possible gun control. Or just be snarky assholes, whichever...

What really needs to be changed is the culture of gun worship, which has really reached the point of insanity where the 2nd amendment is considered holy on the same level as passages of The Bible.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

The only way to safely store a gun is to sandwich it between two larger guns.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Almost twice as many people commit suicide with guns every year compared to homicide with guns, and your entire post ignores that completely. If gun control were instituted only for the sake of those people, it would be worth it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The only way to safely store a gun is to sandwich it between two larger guns.

many americans have determined that an excellent place to store a gun is between the upper and lower jaw

Lemming posted:

Almost twice as many people commit suicide with guns every year compared to homicide with guns, and your entire post ignores that completely. If gun control were instituted only for the sake of those people, it would be worth it.

although the #1 hater of rural old white people is rural old white people if we go by gun death rates, you should be ashamed that you would restrict the freedom of rural old white people like this. how dare you think you know better than they what to do with their guns or which orificies they can place them in. it's called the Second Amendment, bitch

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Has anyone yet mentioned that the majority of gun deaths are suicides and that not having easy access to guns makes committing suicide by gun more difficult because i think this is a really important point that should be brought up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

20,000 people can't be wrong about the benefits of blowing their own brains out, buster.

• Locked thread