Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My Mac Mini just black screened on me with a note saying it was restarting in six different languages.

Is this what is known as a "kernel panic"? I have zero idea what caused it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

My Mac Mini just black screened on me with a note saying it was restarting in six different languages.

Is this what is known as a "kernel panic"? I have zero idea what caused it.

Yeah. Means the kernel crashed. Could point to a hardware problem, but if it doesn't happen frequently just a bug in OS X.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, if it's not frequent then it's probably nothing to worry about. I've had maybe two of those in my four years of using this Mac daily.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

iTunes Match seems to be hosed, and App Store downloads are crawling.

Yay!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Thanks Ants posted:

iTunes Match seems to be hosed, and App Store downloads are crawling.

Yay!

Yeah Match has been down all day, Apple Music was working, which reminded me I don't want to be paying for Apple Music

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wouldn't mind Match being down so much if it wasn't for iTunes constantly telling me so with a really annoying pop up.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep that is in fact the only reason Apple product pricing is "inflated".

Last Chance posted:

Remember, if it's not cheap poo poo garbage, then you are being ripped off 100%. Always buy cheapest. If its not cheap, it's probably Apple trying to chic-gently caress you right in the rear end in a top hat.

Also bring back the cheap poo poo clones. Rule of thumb is if it dilutes your product line, always do it.
Did I hit a nerve?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 14, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's probably more to do with the "overpriced" claim being banded about millions of times in the past, despite a Dell of similar quality costing the same, and the computer purchasing market disagreeing and continuing to buy Apple.

Low-effort "lol Apple is bad" posts being met with throwaway responses? What a totally unpredictable outcome!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Did I hit a nerve?

I don't think so?

You just seemed so hung up on "market share" when Apple is more concerned with "profit margin" and don't seem to understand why, for Apple, diluting their hardware base is stupid idea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Basically in terms of Revenue (Y) versus Customers (X), the distribution looks something like this:

Apple trying to control that tiny peak and reap all the profits, while other computer manufacturers are trying to control most everything to the left of it and try to make up with volume.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Did I hit a nerve?

You mad bro? :smug:

i just got 0wned

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Pivo posted:

but if you're trying to keep your kid off facebook it's never going to work

bored kids are resourceful as gently caress
College students that are on school comps during lectures actually. I'm sure they'll pull out their cellphones but I think pissing them off for a few seconds would be funny.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
A relative just phoned me with a story of clicking the wrong thing, getting told her Mac needed urgent care because FIREWALL OMG ASDF etc. She went far enough down that path to talk to an actual person on the phone who got her to do something to the computer (not sure what exactly yet) and claimed that the results proved she needed to pay $huge for this guy to help secure and fix the computer. From the way she told it, it sounded like half pay me to fix something wrong and half "that's a very nice computer, shame if something were to happen to it". I told her how to shut network connectivity off until I can look at it after work, via screen sharing.

I'm hoping this was just a confidence scam and whatever he got her to do didn't result in a malware installation, but in case it did what's the thread recommendation for a detection and removal tool?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

A relative just phoned me with a story of clicking the wrong thing, getting told her Mac needed urgent care because FIREWALL OMG ASDF etc. She went far enough down that path to talk to an actual person on the phone who got her to do something to the computer (not sure what exactly yet) and claimed that the results proved she needed to pay $huge for this guy to help secure and fix the computer. From the way she told it, it sounded like half pay me to fix something wrong and half "that's a very nice computer, shame if something were to happen to it". I told her how to shut network connectivity off until I can look at it after work, via screen sharing.

I'm hoping this was just a confidence scam and whatever he got her to do didn't result in a malware installation, but in case it did what's the thread recommendation for a detection and removal tool?

Honestly? The same as a PC. Nuke it and restore from the last good TM before that phone call.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

BobHoward posted:

Find out if she downloaded any programs or if it was all typing stuff into a terminal. I've heard of someone of the fake tech support scams having people do a "netstat" and say that shows all the connections hanging around slowing the computer down.

If it was just typing, checking the bash history may be useful, if they downloaded and ran something, all bets are off.

fordan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

..what's the thread recommendation for a detection and removal tool?

IMHO, other than ClamXav (now $30 commercial payware, it was free before) and MalwareBytes Mac (still free for the moment) nothing really good, unless some Intego Virus Barrier ($50 payware go and google it yourself lazyass) fans squawk at this posting.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 14, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO, other than ClamXav (now $30 commercial payware, it was free before) and MalwareBytes Mac (still free for the moment) nothing really good, unless some Intego Virus Barrier ($50 payware go and google it yourself lazyass) fans squawk at this posting.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/mac-security-review-test-2015/

There's tons of AV that's good on the MAC. As far as complete removal, most of them will quarantine, but I would never trust a program for something like rootkit removal. At that point, I'd just restore from a pre-infection backup.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ehhh, very nice pdf, but pretty suspicious (to me) that they didn't even mention Symantec EndPoint Protection. Maybe because they were covering consumer packages.

Also, BobHoward was asking for a recommendation, I tossed out the two that have worked for me.

I also have Kaspersky personally, but uninstalled it as it's not compatible with El Capitan. Symantec EndPoint already has an El Capitan compatible package, but I haven't gotten around to installing it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The section on MacKeeper in that PDF is predictably hilarious, and being reminded of it makes me wonder if it was one of those MacKeeper popups. I actually hope that's what it was, because at least that's a known quantity: they're not actively malware, but they're scummy as gently caress in terms of trying to frighten users into paying lots of money to Ukranians to fix all the "problems" MacKeeper finds. What I could make out from her description of the scammer's patter would match the MacKeeper modus operandi.

I'll do a trip report on what I find out, hopefully sometime tonight. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

flosofl posted:

I don't think so?

You just seemed so hung up on "market share" when Apple is more concerned with "profit margin" and don't seem to understand why, for Apple, diluting their hardware base is stupid idea.
I only pressed with that idea because I needed you to beat it out of my head.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Microsoft just dropped updates for Office 2016 that seemed to have sorted all of the 10.11 instability (at least for me). Just a heads-up. :)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

BobHoward posted:

The section on MacKeeper in that PDF is predictably hilarious, and being reminded of it makes me wonder if it was one of those MacKeeper popups. I actually hope that's what it was, because at least that's a known quantity: they're not actively malware, but they're scummy as gently caress in terms of trying to frighten users into paying lots of money to Ukranians to fix all the "problems" MacKeeper finds. What I could make out from her description of the scammer's patter would match the MacKeeper modus operandi.

I'll do a trip report on what I find out, hopefully sometime tonight. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

So it turns out it wasn't MacKeeper, what she got told to do was let the guy in via the LogMeIn Rescue software. Apparently this is a legit service technician tool that is a longtime favorite of virus/firewall/etc cold call scammers because the corporation behind LMI doesn't give a poo poo about making it more obvious to users that they are potentially putting their computers at risk:

http://www.troyhunt.com/2012/06/how-logmein-is-enabling-scammers-to.html

When I got into her computer via Apple's screen sharing, the LogMeIn client was still running. Turned out to be a good thing I told her to shut the network off until I could look at things; that caused LMI to time out and expire the session, after which it won't auto reconnect.

It also logs everything the tech does and I got a copy of said log. Apparently all he did was paint red circles on her screen highlighting supposed problems while going through the phone patter about how much she needed to pay them money or her computer was going to explode. That, and he rebooted the computer for some reason. By lining things up with the incoming call time on my phone, and talking through things in more detail, I'm pretty sure what happened was that she got cold feet before clicking the button to give full access again after the reboot, called me, and then shut down the network.

Still gonna give the machine a fresh install when I next see it in person (which will be soon, and it's time to upgrade her from Yosemite to El Cap anyways), and also reset all her online passwords (ugh ugh ugh).

Oh, and a PSA: Apparently LastPass has just sold itself to LogMeIn and they're losing a bunch of users to other password managers because people are so distrustful of the company over this and other issues. I haven't found anything to suggest that LMI is as awful on its own as, say, the MacKeeper company, but looking the other way while scammers abuse your service is pretty sketch anyways.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Oh, and a PSA: Apparently LastPass has just sold itself to LogMeIn and they're losing a bunch of users to other password managers because people are so distrustful of the company over this and other issues. I haven't found anything to suggest that LMI is as awful on its own as, say, the MacKeeper company, but looking the other way while scammers abuse your service is pretty sketch anyways.

Yeah a lot of people are going ape over this in the iOS thread. Understandable really. LMI are a poo poo company.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

binarysmurf posted:

Microsoft just dropped updates for Office 2016 that seemed to have sorted all of the 10.11 instability (at least for me). Just a heads-up. :)

Can we get some more trip reports on this? The update notes don't mention it at all.

Edit: Macworld says it's not been fixed: http://www.macworld.com/article/299...el-capitan.html

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 15, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah a lot of people are going ape over this in the iOS thread. Understandable really. LMI are a poo poo company.

Ugh...I really liked LastPass.

Has anyone had any issues with iCloud Keychain? I recently switched from Firefox to Safari so at this point everything I'm using is on the same platform. It might make sense to just use the default password manager.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone had any issues with iCloud Keychain? I recently switched from Firefox to Safari so at this point everything I'm using is on the same platform. It might make sense to just use the default password manager.

Nope. If you use an iPhone and OSX it's pretty great. I find it to be a little more convenient than Chrome in that regard (saved credit card(s) information comes to mind.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

Works perfect for me. Only Issue I get is when I generate a password and then go to a non-iCloud Keychain platform (it's long and hard to remember), but if you're sticking in the ecosystem it's fine.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

computer parts posted:

Works perfect for me. Only Issue I get is when I generate a password and then go to a non-iCloud Keychain platform (it's long and hard to remember), but if you're sticking in the ecosystem it's fine.

Settings>Safari>Passwords on your phone will show you your passwords. Or Safari Preference on the Mac has a Passwords tab.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

Never really had any issues with it, but then I've also never wanted any of the extra features offered by the competition.

It's also maybe worth pointing out that on a Mac you can also use Keychain Access to create secure notes in your keychain, though AFAIK there's no way to access them on iOS.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Ever since installing El Capitan my rMBP wakes up to the wrong resolution for my external monitor. I have to unplug and replug the dp back in. Anyone else experiencing this?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The only thing I've noticed on my late 2013 13-inch rMBP is that right after login, it does this glitchy, amateurish-looking resolution switch on my screen just as the Finder is loading.

Never saw that in Mavericks or YOSemite.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The only thing I've noticed on my late 2013 13-inch rMBP is that right after login, it does this glitchy, amateurish-looking resolution switch on my screen just as the Finder is loading.

Never saw that in Mavericks or YOSemite.
Trackpad sensitivity seems completely off to me at the login screen as well, then going back to normal after login.

Never saw that in Mavericks or Yosemite either.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

edit: wrong thread

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

computer parts posted:

Basically in terms of Revenue (Y) versus Customers (X), the distribution looks something like this:

Apple trying to control that tiny peak and reap all the profits, while other computer manufacturers are trying to control most everything to the left of it and try to make up with volume.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Trying to and seemingly completely capturing that market.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm surprised Apple doesn't prominently advertise a payment plan for the computers like they do with the iPhone. Imagine how many more people would get fully loaded $3500 Macbook configurations if they only had to pay $500 up front.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm surprised Apple doesn't prominently advertise a payment plan for the computers like they do with the iPhone. Imagine how many more people would get fully loaded $3500 Macbook configurations if they only had to pay $500 up front.

They sorta do I think? I know when I was shopping online it was pretty prominent that they offered financing.

Maybe not the same thing as what they do for the iPhone but they don't shy away from letting you know it exists.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

They list Apple Financial Services options for like everything they sell.

I paid for my rMBP over 3 months using AFS with the 3 months no interest thing and it was great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that just a Barclays credit card? I signed up for a card years ago when I bought my Mac Mini. I think you get iTunes rewards. They used to have a more traditional financing setup (similar to Dell's). Now it's just a credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't that just a Barclays credit card? I signed up for a card years ago when I bought my Mac Mini. I think you get iTunes rewards. They used to have a more traditional financing setup (similar to Dell's). Now it's just a credit card.

Yeah, it's just a credit card but when you use it at the Apple store(maybe just online, idk) that stuff will be interest free.