Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I know that its a little late now, but if the other banks raise their interest rate for homes loans, but not for other types of loans, I can nearly guarantee the RBA will cut rather than raise interest rates.

At the moment the economy needs stimulus to help it grow. This usually means the RBA would cut interest rates. However, they have been worried about adding heat to the already hot real estate market. By the banks raising interest rates on home loans, this cools the real estate sector while allowing the RBA to cut rates to help stimulate other parts of the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Vladimir Poutine posted:

During the Hawke years they were 17%, which prompted a recession and 1 million+ people becoming unemployed.
Wasn't the recession we had to have was precipitated by a speculative asset price bubble and poor lending practices? High interest rates were a symptom of the demand for capital to fuel that speculation, not the cause of the recession.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

An app that alerts parents when their children aren’t at school, as proposed by the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, could help reduce truancy rates in Indigenous communities.

:cripes:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol good luck with that one Malcolm.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

For starters, wouldn't the communities need 4G for that sort of consistent GPS tracking and toast notifications?

Is Malcolm indirectly promising 4G for remote indigenous communities?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This coverage is poo poo, who's responsible for this communic... oh. right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

For starters, wouldn't the communities need 4G for that sort of consistent GPS tracking and toast notifications?

Is Malcolm indirectly promising 4G for remote indigenous communities?

Apparently the thought bubble was about letting teachers contact the parents easily.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Text messages being sent to parents by schools when their children wag isn't that uncommon.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
In days gone by a teacher might ring home if a kid is absent at roll call

Now you can make an app for that

Progress

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lol the app will be rushed and barely work and keep saying little Billy isn't at school when he is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Lol the app will be rushed and barely work and keep saying little Billy isn't at school when he is.

So DHS will make it?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

There is a certain level of assumption about the level of fucks given/ concern on the part of the recipient parents

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The centrelink app keeps saying my report is overdue when it isn't and when I try to do anything advanced on it whoops an error occurred!

If they can't even let me report numbers I don't see how they could possibly code a child tracker.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The centrelink app indeed keeps thinking one hasn't reported for days. But it's more interesting that our glorious PM has such faith in the mobile network that an app of this nature will be of such great use in a remote community.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's dreaming

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress centrelink in general. I put in an application for sickness leave on the 19th, had all the required documents in by the next week, and I still haven't heard back from them. Just checked my app and apparently I am receiving sickness leave, but no money has come into my account.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Surely the private sector can more efficiently provide bad parents with easily circumvented apps to monitor their problem children

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

The centrelink app indeed keeps thinking one hasn't reported for days. But it's more interesting that our glorious PM has such faith in the mobile network that an app of this nature will be of such great use in a remote community.
He's already done horrible, lying and dog whistle. Is this really his first serious thought bubble gaff? If so, I might let the hope atom back in.

Nah won't matter Turdball is going to romp it in.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey. Didn't I coin turdball? Or is someone else doing it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Either I made a good joke or someone somewhere came up with it too. Probably that sex demon Scott Ludlam.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Les Affaires posted:

Maybe you'll have to invest that money into productive enterprises instead. Have you considered venture capital?

If by venture capital you mean snowboarding, then yes. I am investing all my money into venture capital.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Senate votes in favour of cashless welfare card trials with Labor backing

quote:

The Senate has cleared the way for the Turnbull government to proceed with the trial of its cashless welfare card designed to restrict access to alcohol and gambling.

The bill passed the upper house without amendments on Wednesday evening, prompting the government to hail the “watershed moment in how we deliver welfare”.

The final vote – 37 in favour to 10 against – reflected the Labor opposition’s decision to support the legislation after it said it had gained assurances about the details. The government also persuaded most crossbenchers to back the plan, despite some of them expressing reservations about the adequacy of community consultation.

The legislation will allow the government to trial the card in three sites, including Ceduna in South Australia from early next year.

Welfare recipients will have access to only 20% of their funds through their normal bank account, including cash withdrawals.

The remaining 80% of payments will be available only via the special Visa Debit card. People will be unable to spend the restricted portions of their payments on alcohol products or gambling services or withdraw those amounts as cash.

Alan Tudge, the assistant minister to the prime minister, praised the Senate for passing the legislation.

Tudge said the trials aimed to “reduce the welfare-fuelled alcohol, drug and gambling abuse that unfortunately occurs in some of our communities”.

All working-age income support recipients within a trial site would be part of the trial and receive the card, he said. Aged pensioners and workers were not required to participate, but could volunteer to opt in.

“A local authority will be established in a trial region which will have the power, on application, to adjust the amount that is placed onto an individual’s debit card,” Tudge said.

“The individual would need to satisfy the authority that basic obligations are being met, such as regularly sending children to school.

“The trial will be accompanied by additional investments in drug and alcohol and financial management support in each location, to assist people reduce or eliminate their dependence on alcohol, drugs or problem gambling.”

Labor, which had raised concerns about “the lack of detail” about the trial, supported the legislation but vowed to hold the government to account.

Labor’s payments spokeswoman, Jenny Macklin, and its Indigenous affairs spokesman, Shayne Neumann, said the opposition had gained assurances “that there will be a robust evaluation framework agreed, made public and in place ahead of the trial commencing”.

But the Greens senator Rachel Siewert said welfare management did not work, and there should be a greater focus on support services.

“The legislation is an evidence free zone; we have no evidence that this top-down measure will reduce disadvantage in the trial zones,” Siewert said.

“There is a huge loss of dignity with this measure, and people having control of their own lives. We know finding employment and overcoming the causes of disadvantage is aided by people having control over their lives.”

The card was first proposed by the mining magnate Andrew Forrest in a report on Indigenous employment.
I am so glad all that change from within happened to meaningfully distinguish the ALP from the LNP.

Also, a secret conspiracy meeting by Les Affaires' most hated creature:

Those monsters!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Pickled Tink posted:

I am so glad all that change from within happened to meaningfully distinguish the ALP from the LNP.

Aged pension excluded, what a surprise!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

rear end in a top hat Loser Party.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

Have we tried kill all the poor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4J4uor3JE

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Newly released documents reveal former prime minister Tony Abbott bought 110 Ukrainian flags in just one year, which cost the taxpayer more than $5,000.

The second largest of any country or organisation, after Australia

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pickled Tink posted:

So what do people expect to happen with this? I mean, I know Ceduna will hurt from this, this is blatantly only going to cause harm, but I'm wondering what will actually happen. Country towns aren't exactly Melbourne, I can't imagine they've got the same sorts of people out of work or the same sorts of services, both essential and non. Is this going to look enough like a victory for them to take it as evidence? Or is it even going to crumple and fail there, like literally every economic model says it would fail in places with big unemployed populations?

EDIT: Is there a way I can find out who voted for this on an individual basis? My area's both Labor and has a huge unemployment population, if he voted for this I'd love to rip him a new one somehow.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 14, 2015

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Cleretic posted:

So what do people expect to happen with this? I mean, I know Ceduna will hurt from this, this is blatantly only going to cause harm, but I'm wondering what will actually happen. Country towns aren't exactly Melbourne, I can't imagine they've got the same sorts of people out of work or the same sorts of services, both essential and non. Is this going to look enough like a victory for them to take it as evidence? Or is it even going to crumple and fail there, like literally every economic model says it would fail in places with big unemployed populations?

EDIT: Is there a way I can find out who voted for this on an individual basis? My area's both Labor and has a huge unemployment population, if he voted for this I'd love to rip him a new one somehow.

The ALP binds on votes.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It's on the last page of this PDF: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...plication%2Fpdf

The noes were:

Di Natale
McKim
Rice
Waters
Hanson
-
Young
Muir
Siewert (Teller)
Whish
-
Wilson
Ludlam
Rhiannon

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Urcher posted:

It's on the last page of this PDF: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...plication%2Fpdf

The noes were:

Hanson

:eyepop:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

hanson-young. it can't handle hyphens. basically only muir and the greens voted against it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Pickled Tink posted:

Also, a secret conspiracy meeting by Les Affaires' most hated creature:

Those monsters!

Uhhh

how will people pay their rent under this system? even if the local real estate agent has an eftpos facility, it'd require physically going in and paying your rent at the office. What if you don't have access to reliable transport? Unless your rent is <20% of your payment, in which case, the entire system is still needlessly invasive and punitive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
nanny state - restricting the importation of rapid fire shotguns
not nanny state - quarantined income

david lionhat

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

Uhhh

how will people pay their rent under this system? even if the local real estate agent has an eftpos facility, it'd require physically going in and paying your rent at the office. What if you don't have access to reliable transport? Unless your rent is <20% of your payment, in which case, the entire system is still needlessly invasive and punitive.

"minor implementation challenges"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

"minor implementation challenges"

"working as intended"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

Uhhh

Not to mention the extra administrative costs of monitoring and adjusting payments, processing applications from people trying to prove they're not addicted, etc. What are they going to do, demand receipts for everything and add it all up? Who benefits at the retail end for being an approved vendor of approved products for poors? And how do they justify it being a way of dealing with problem gamblers who have a job and end up stealing from employers?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

nanny state - restricting the importation of rapid fire shotguns
not nanny state - quarantined income

david lionhat

Well, you see, people should only have freedom when its their money. Welfare is funded by taxation, and since TAXATION IS THEFT, it is perfectly reasonable to have limits on how they spend their ill-gotten gains.

This is exactly like how if you live with your parents you need to follow their rules to continue living there. Don't like it?! Leave!

(I feel a bit weird actually typing that out)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mithranderp posted:

Uhhh

Centrepay deduction.

It costs $.99 a transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Beetphyxious posted:

Centrepay deduction.