Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

zakharov posted:

Because they want you to come to their sites to see the gifs and videos and get pageviews for their advertisers.
Maybe if NFL.com didn't make me watch a 30 second commercial to see a 14 second clip of a play I'd go there more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ribsauce posted:

People are so stupid. The NBA owns social media because they encourage youtube highlights, .gifs, etc. How hard is it to look at the great job they do and say "OK, we should do exactly that"?

The NBA is so far ahead of the other leagues when it comes to embracing social technology. It seems like they got it from day 1. They even have Social Media Awards and hired some guys who started a podcast in a living room to create a show on their channel. Meanwhile the NFL fines you if you tweet to close to the start or finish of a game :rolleyes:

edit
This sums up how badly the other leagues handle it. The NFL is 10 times more popular than the NBA (probably more). The official NBA twitter account has 25% more twitter followers than the NFL one. David Stern went on a podcast 5 years ago. Goodell, as far as I know, still has not.

Also this poo poo is the god's honest truth, the NBA posts daily top 10s on Youtube and their business hasn't suffered one iota.

In fairness MLB does post a LOT of stuff on Youtube as well including an amazing archive of classic games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Parlett316 posted:

The NBA is the best league. They had their moments like the stupid ball and Donaghy but they rarely pull moves the NFL constantly does. Hell, even the dress code has turned into one of the best things about the sport.

The dress code :swoon:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Deadspin's twitter is back up

I still see some NFL gifs from yesterday there

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

zakharov posted:

No argument here, but that's their reason.

Yeah.

As a non-businessman, it'd seem like the lost potential revenue from people seeing cool plays on Twitter instead of Official Site would be really minimal in the grand scheme and it makes more intuitive sense to me that if you want to maintain and grow interest in a sport you'd want the cool stuff that's happened to be almost omnipresent rather than nickel-and-diming every highlight. But, hell, I couldn't run a lemonade stand!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If Goodell was in charge in 1965 I could see him doing everything possible to prevent the games from being on television. And forget letting newspapers cover them, nope, you need to get the official NFL newsletter to get the articles about each game, which will come on Wednesday with 900 ads.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Unless you want to talk about the Malice at the Palace

the truth must be told!!!

I'm not even sure they bother pulling that anymore. You can find it on Youtube pretty easily

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

I'm not even sure they bother pulling that anymore. You can find it on Youtube pretty easily

I feel like since there was a 30 for 30 about it it's been around more. Time has really made it more a part of league history rather than something to be suppressed. The NBA seems to want to use it now as just another defining moment, albeit not a great one, to show the warts and all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ramadu posted:

I feel like since there was a 30 for 30 about it it's been around more. Time has really made it more a part of league history rather than something to be suppressed. The NBA seems to want to use it now as just another defining moment, albeit not a great one, to show the warts and all.

Wait, when was there a 30 for 30 about it? Was it a short?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Henchman of Santa posted:

Grantland had an oral history but I don't remember any documentaries.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

NBA used to pull the Bucks-Sixers 2001 ECF but there has been a video up on YouTube since like May that they haven't bothered to go after. They also stopped yanking the Donaghy videos a couple years ago. Seems like Silver realizes how pointless it is to even bother fighting the bad stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They stopped pulling all that stuff way before Silver took over.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Henchman of Santa posted:

Looks like I'm retarded. I think I was thinking of the Grantland Oral History Piece and just sorta conflated 30 for 30 and It. My bad. I swear I saw a ton of stuff on the 10 year anniversary of it on ESPN though.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I could swear I remember Simmons saying they couldn't make a 30-30 out of it because the NBA would never give them permission to use the footage.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

morestuff posted:

Grantland had an oral history but I don't remember any documentaries.

This reminded me of one of the things I've long wondered about basketball: how come they don't have boards around the court, kinda like hockey? I don't mean with the glass and everything, but some sort of partition like that, behind the benches.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Putting walls on courts that close would cause so many injuries my god

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

edit: ^^ Doesn't stop them from playing at places like Williams Arena

Sash! posted:

This reminded me of one of the things I've long wondered about basketball: how come they don't have boards around the court, kinda like hockey? I don't mean with the glass and everything, but some sort of partition like that, behind the benches.

For this era anyway, it's money, I assume. They make a bunch on those seats that are actually courtside and fans generally assume no real risk by sitting there.

But didn't they used to play in a fully caged off court? Hence the term "cagers"?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ungratek posted:

Putting walls on courts that close would cause so many injuries my god

Then put it in a cage and charge extra money to show the grudge matches.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

OctoberBlues posted:

But didn't they used to play in a fully caged off court? Hence the term "cagers"?

Yep:

Eventually eliminated for obvious reasons

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sash! posted:

Beyond the injury reasons, part of basketball's allure is the fact that you can get really drat close to the players and the action. Putting up barriers, even if they didn't block much view, would take the spectators out of the game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Yep:

Also for non-obvious reasons, like "fans would climb up the cage and shake the poo poo out of it so it would cause the hoop to move around a bit on the visiting team" reasons.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crazy Ted posted:

Also for non-obvious reasons, like "fans would climb up the cage and shake the poo poo out of it so it would cause the hoop to move around a bit on the visiting team" reasons.

Sounds like a reason to keep the cage if anything.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Going for a dunk and suddenly the hoop jumps a foot backwards because dudes hanging from the cage leaned back.

:allears:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I swear I've seen video of non-US basketball being played in courts surrounded with hockey-style glass but this was in the 90s so maybe that went away.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Rick posted:

I swear I've seen video of non-US basketball being played in courts surrounded with hockey-style glass but this was in the 90s so maybe that went away.

That was SlamBall.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

morestuff posted:

Yep:

ecw ecw ecw ecw

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Sounds like a reason to keep the cage if anything.

I'm on board

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

This sounds like basketball meets CFL meets roller derby.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IndyCar and NASCAR are very pro-"post our work on youtube" oddly enough.

There's pretty much entire race seasons up on youtube and some very fun obscure stuff you can take a look at when you're bored.

F1 is strangely difficult to access (unless you know the right places...), and it's a bit of a nuisance in that regard.

I'm not thrilled with the Roger Goddell-led NFL. I do like the way the NBA is handled though, and it seems like they're more in tune with players, fans and media than the way the NFL is currently set up. It feels like their playoffs are far better than pretty much every league to be honest (well maybe save for hockey).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think the NBA consciously and subconsciously promotes their players to be more outward and accessible as well. NBA Twitter is fun. I think they had some stat that said Lebron James has more twitter followers than the top 10 most followed MLB athletes.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
2:00pm on Colin Cowherd, tune in to hear Jason Whitlock destroy his career once and for all :(

He posted a long rear end blog post last night http://j.school/post/131134873540/the-explanation-20-still-undefeated

I read it late last night and nothing in it is special, just the expected tone deaf stuff you can expect from him, (journalism is the only thing that can save the country, I say what people dont want to hear, etc. etc.) but on the radio is where he will blow up and burn every bridge ever constructed.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'm very curious, why do you love Whitlock so much anyway?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

that was the dumbest loving article. I stopped reading 4 times and gave up copying sections to post here because each paragraph was more cringe worthy than the last.
His basic thesis is that sports is super important, journalism, as envisioned by Whitlock, will save America, deadspin is stupid, blacks should stop listening to an atheist like Coates and get back to their religious roots.

OK, I caved and copied this one sentence. It basically sums up Whitlock's entire understanding of race.

quote:

Enslavers gave us Christianity for purposes of salvation, mostly theirs but ours as well. We converted it to a source of hope, an ingredient as essential to human survival and evolution as water and air.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Deadspin is stupid so he has that right atleast

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

Deadspin is stupid so he has that right atleast

They are, but his obsession with Greg Howard is really nutty.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Popero posted:

I'm very curious, why do you love Whitlock so much anyway?
His Fox Sports podcast was my favorite podcast ever. When he was at Fox Sports his twitter feed was awesome also. ESPN ruined what I liked about him, mainly calling out lovely journalism (He sniffed out the Charles Robinson Miami fanfiction as false less than 12 hours after they were posted) and being funny (both laugh with him and laugh at him).Then he went to ESPN, said Thayer Evans couldn't spell cat (over his bullshit OSU story) and was suspended...after being there like 2 weeks! His interviews with other journalists were great too. When he was at Fox Sports he was also allowed to go at the NCAA, but I guess ESPN took this away also.

In my opinion, his articles are the worst thing he does. I read most of them and even liked some them even if I disagreed with him a substantial amount. I don't get mad at people I don't agree with though. I don't know how to put it into words without sounding even dumber than I usually do here, but it seems like the standard internet move is if someone writes something you disagree with they automatically have to be a bad person and you have to hate them and hate on them. If someone writes something I don't agree with, but it is funny, I will still enjoy it. His podcasts and twitter cracked me up, so if he writes something ignorant I don't care.

I am embarrassed to admit I actually opened a Word document and liveblogged his "Explanation 2.0" appearance on Cowherd. I was ready for Dresden level bridge burning but he did not do anything at all bad. I was so excited but what a letdown. We were promised Hit 'Em Up or Ether and instead got coffee shop easy listening. Bullshit!!

Cowherd played The Wire theme when Big Sexy entered the room. It went downhill from there. The only real highlights were

2:20 – Whitlock is already talking about a 26 year old girl living with him, smoking weed every day, and going to Vegas every weekend. Then he had to kick her out to “save his career.” I guess she moved back in last week hah.

2:21 The announcement: He is coming back to Fox Sports. GOD IS GREAT!!! Bring back Real Talk, the greatest podcast of all time. Who cares about this TV show and website he is starting? REAL TALK IS BACK! (note: for real, this is the highlight of my day)

2:42 – Cowherd just said Narcos is the best show since the Sopranos , Cowherd knows what is up….. hold up “I couldn’t even get through 2 episodes of The Wire” I knew this dude sucked, gently caress Cowherd. Whitlock should have put him through the table Dudley Boyz style. Shameful right there.

This was my first time ever hearing Cowherd except for maybe 2 or 3 outrage of the day youtube videos and how can anyone listen to this dude? I couldn't even make it through one segment after Whitlock left. He sounds like a professor who never had a job but thinks he knows it all lecturing a class for 2 hours on how to do a job he never did. He was talking about how he would run a sports team, and the smart ones do this, and then used The Lakers as an example! That team has been a trainwreck since Jerry Buss died.

Oh and as much as I like Whitlock, he has acted like a bigger moron than ever before these last 2 weeks. It is indefensible. The dude really needs people he trusts to pull him away from his keyboard. He is right about Deadspin, but really you just shouldn't respond. Those guys would win awards at the haters ball, why give them the attention they crave daily. Why waste the effort?

edit
drat that is a lot of words about Jason Whitlock. I think I am embarrassed

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 14, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

quote:

We converted it to a source of hope

Its been a long time since sunday school, but I'm pretty sure that was built right in from the start.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Ribsauce posted:

Cowherd played The Wire theme when Big Sexy entered the room. It went downhill from there. The only real highlights were

If i could describe Whitlock in one sentence it'd be "guy who just saw The Wire last year and now won't shut the gently caress up about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Yeah i'll jump on the Whitlock Podcast being good bandwagon. It was entertaining and informative.