Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Yeah, buy that over a 12 year old bike.

You clearly need ABS.

He'd die of boredom on a versys though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

He'd die of boredom on a versys though.

Better than dying of actual death. :colbert:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A roadgoing DRZ is about the boringest thing I can think of, I figure anything is a good step up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Are you in the states? The Versys 1k didn't come out here until 2015.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
DR650s aren't that cool right? Like definitely not $4000 cool?

I'm trying to figure out why these herp derpy little dualsports are so expensive. My wife and I are thinking of taking time off life next summer to do some rugged touring (Alaska + wherever else) and I don't want to chew up my Ulysses that way so I was looking for a simple beater to put a few thousand miles on over the course of a few months. The DR seems like a good option - air cooled simplicity, unchanged in at least an epoch, fixable in bum gently caress Saskatchewan, with a lot more off road capability than the Uly. But drat they're expensive around here. KLRs too; my wife wants one of those because Ambassador K'Ehleyr from Star Trek is awesome or whatever, but ugh they cost so much.

A Strom would appear to be a much better value, and I have less of a problem destroying one of those, and they have some tire options, but... Strom :negative: I don't think they have much more off-pavement capability than a Uly either, just more acceptable to break.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your biggest problem here is being reluctant to adventure on a bike specifically designed for adventure because you might break it doing the thing it's theoretically intended to do. The Buell Way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't have any illusions that it is anything more than a tall sport touring bike, which is beside the point. I wouldn't take a 1200 GS out looking for singletrack either, and I don't love the idea of doing it on a Strom. I just want a cheap beater that will get me there and that some yahoo flatlander would know how to fix. $4000 isn't any cheaper than a Uly and LOL at finding someone to fix it.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

DR650s aren't that cool right? Like definitely not $4000 cool?

I'm trying to figure out why these herp derpy little dualsports are so expensive. My wife and I are thinking of taking time off life next summer to do some rugged touring (Alaska + wherever else) and I don't want to chew up my Ulysses that way so I was looking for a simple beater to put a few thousand miles on over the course of a few months. The DR seems like a good option - air cooled simplicity, unchanged in at least an epoch, fixable in bum gently caress Saskatchewan, with a lot more off road capability than the Uly. But drat they're expensive around here. KLRs too; my wife wants one of those because Ambassador K'Ehleyr from Star Trek is awesome or whatever, but ugh they cost so much.

A Strom would appear to be a much better value, and I have less of a problem destroying one of those, and they have some tire options, but... Strom :negative: I don't think they have much more off-pavement capability than a Uly either, just more acceptable to break.

What's your budget? I see a lot of KLRs and Vstroms popping up on my local Craigslist.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not a firm budget I suppose. I just think I'm looking at too-expensive dualsports. You're in Missoula right? I checked that CL and I guess a 1000 mile r/t with the truck isn't such a hassle for Missoula prices, guess I should expand the search area.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah in the Missoula area, there are a couple of KLRs and at least one Strom that I saw in a quick search, phone posting otherwise I throw you a couple of links.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The frankenKLR with the military tank is exactly what I have in mind, bike and price.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
He has had that one listed off and on again if memory serves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

That's pretty crazy are you sure it isn't a 650? The 1000 retails for like double that. That's a decent price on a new 650.

The website said 1k, but it is possible they just listed it wrong. I'll look into it more later.

For now I am looking forward to checking out that zrex. Anything I should look for on that model?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
If he lets you drive it, check the 1-2 shift for excessive clunkyness under moderate load. If it's really bad, it might outright miss or grind. Be sure Warm it up really good. Listen to the cam chain for rattling, means the cam chain tensioner is out. Other than that, look for the typical fluid weeping/dripping. From your picture the bike looks pretty stock and unfucked, I really like the color.

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 1, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TEAH SYAG posted:

If he lets you drive it, check the 1-2 shift for excessive clunkyness under moderate load. Warm it up really good. Listen to the cam chain for rattling, means the cam chain tensioner is out. Other than that, look for the typical fluid weeping/dripping. From your picture the bike looks pretty stock and unfucked, I really like the color.

Thanks! 4500 is a little more than I wanted to spend on a zrx, but that candy blue color is just irresistible. :allears:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Huh, what is this?

Cagiva Canyon 500 2001, 11 370 km, 20 000 nok,

Cheap as hell, I wonder why?

MCN posted:

Not the most reliable, even by Italian standards.

oh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Just a few more hours till I go shopping. I'm so excited I can't sleep.:ohdear:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

So with the fork oil(?) or whatever on the leg, is this a bad sign?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That doesn't look like oil to me, just looks like they didn't clean off the fork leg much.

And they ran over something pretty big or panicked mid-wheelie and slammed it down good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Is that a remote reservoir on the front shock, or something else?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Is there such thing as motorcycle buying service, similar to TrueCar? If not, what's the best way to cross-shop dealers?

I had a purchase lined up, but it got snapped out from under me. I'd like to try and catch something new (but going out of style in the fall/winter), but don't know the "best" way to watch the market.

Edit: Only such "no haggle" thing I could find is Costco powersports, but ended up with a demo/loaner bike from the local dealer. BMW F800GT - nice and boring, but with a little refinement. Feels good, man.

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 5, 2015

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I nearly bought a TL1000r about 3-4 years ago, I kinda let it slip by and I still sort of want one :( I love the way it sounds and looks and they're pretty quirky and unique. Rode about 60 miles to check this one out. It has a brand new chain and sprocket, never downed, and amazingly stock exhausts, sounded great when it started.

Few minor things, it needs a new battery because it needed to be jump started but it ran fine and when checked with a multimeter the charging system was working fine, front tire is nearly done, and the front fork springs need replacing since the previous owner had them cut so the front is lowered a couple inches.

He was looking for 2600$ but was considering offers, i'm thinking of maybe 2400$ because the the minor issues and the reg is out at least a year.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

the front fork springs need replacing since the previous owner had them cut so the front is lowered a couple inches.

Yeah that's a bike that needed faster steering. Why keep everything else stock but make one mod that is the exact opposite of a good idea, and do it in the worst possible way?

New law - motorbike owners are required to submit an affidavit explaining their exact thinking before being allowed to do anything more than put fuel in the bike. These are assessed by an independent tribunal (me) which can choose to allow or deny the modification, or possibly forcibly remove the bike from their possession and ban them from ever owning one again. There may also be some kind of forehead branding involved.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

infraboy posted:

the front fork springs need replacing since the previous owner had them cut so the front is lowered a couple inches.

Whoa this definitely stood out. Like an extended swingarm, stuff like this makes me just assume the owner is an aggressively stupid lunatic.

Bike looks nice, and that seems like a good price for it, really. Admittedly, I'd never heard of this model before. Enjoy getting mistaken for a gixxah, brah. I AM super ok with it since it has a 1000cc vtwin. That must be fun, and better than owning an SV1000.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These are assessed by an independent tribunal (me) which can choose to allow or deny the modification, or possibly forcibly remove the bike from their possession and ban them from ever owning one again. There may also be some kind of forehead branding involved.

All in favor say aye.

AYE.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

So my friends friend is selling this 2001 r6 with 17700 miles. It's got 2 holes carved in the back for integrated lights, but she doesn't have the lights they where for and the fender is on it now. It was dropped once, looks like low speed, front fairing and frame slider is scraped. The tanks alright with just one tiny chip of paint missing that's filled with a spot of rust now(this is really hard to notice). The tires were new in 2008 and look pretty rough.

It sat for a few years and was partially resurrected by my friend at the start of the season. He rides the bike from time to time so I know it runs but the carbs are gunked to hell.

And all this and more can be mine for $1900. Should I buy it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's worth about 1200 if the transmission is still in good shape. It would need probably 800 bucks in parts and crap to get it back up to good shape - tires, fork/shock refresh, chain, probably sprockets, air filter, plugs, etc.

I wouldn't buy it unless it was around 800 bucks but I'm a soulless rear end in a top hat when it comes to bikes.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
Anyone have any opinions on a 2010 Ninja 250r as a starter bike? I've got my eye on this one - http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/mcy/5266917121.html

I've actually been between that and a Grom. I want something that is small to start with, but also fun. I'm on Maui, so there's no freeway to contend with. I only need to top out around 55. Mostly used for fun and commuting. There may not be freeways, but there are some awesome twisty, turny roads. But finding a Grom that's not $4300 (used! Stock!) has been challenging.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Selection is limited and my biggest limiting factor is seat height and size - I'm a 5'3" woman.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ninja 250 would be a great starter bike, and even a bike that you could keep for a number of years out in the blue. The whole no freeways thing really makes anything larger just impractical, unless you've got tracks. It's very fun to ride a slow bike fast, don't forget that!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Personally I wouldn't get the 2008-2012 Ninja. The 2007 and earlier is just as good for $1k less, or I'd go $500 more for the newer 300.

edit: I don't see any pregens on your CL though.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I'm looking to grab my first bike at end of season. I consider myself to have no expierence with motorcycle, but I have dicked around on dirt bikes growing up on the farm. However, I'm going to consider that all basically moot because of how different a street bike riding in Uptown Minneapolis will be compared to jump terraces in rural Iowa.

I'm eyeing up a CL350 that I found on a local CL:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcy/5233433666.html

I talked to the guy, and he said things are mostly on the up and up. Title is clear, nothing funny with the ignition (i.e. no screwdriver required to get it moving). No crashes, but the bike was laid down once breaking the shiftier and slightly tweaking the fork horns, both of which have been repaired.

I'm a decent sized guy (6'0" and two bills). I figure the 350 sounds really handle-able for a first bike, and I am smitten with the appearance. Any other input on this?

Accessories:
I'm basically planning on doing a hi-viz helmet and jacket because I live in an urban center. Scorpion EXO looks like the ticket on the helmet. Otherwise It'll be a high denier nylon shell, jeans, and thick leather boots. If you have any other considerations for accessories let me know.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Take the MSF.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nerobro posted:

Take the MSF.

Put protective clothing on bits of your body you care about. Like your hands. Or your legs. Or your ankles. Will you be riding over the winter in Minneapolis?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shadowlz posted:

So my friends friend is selling this 2001 r6 with 17700 miles. It's got 2 holes carved in the back for integrated lights, but she doesn't have the lights they where for and the fender is on it now. It was dropped once, looks like low speed, front fairing and frame slider is scraped. The tanks alright with just one tiny chip of paint missing that's filled with a spot of rust now(this is really hard to notice). The tires were new in 2008 and look pretty rough.

It sat for a few years and was partially resurrected by my friend at the start of the season. He rides the bike from time to time so I know it runs but the carbs are gunked to hell.

And all this and more can be mine for $1900. Should I buy it?

You could probably get about $1500 for it around here. And that's if he throws new tires on it and throws in the rearstand.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Nerobro posted:

Take the MSF.

Definitely. I'll be doing the BRC as soon as classes open up in the spring (no riding until then).

builds character posted:

Put protective clothing on bits of your body you care about. Like your hands. Or your legs. Or your ankles. Will you be riding over the winter in Minneapolis?

Gloves were on the list, but good catch. When you say protective clothing for legs/ankles, would you recommend motorcycle specific boots with the hard plastic bits on them? I was planning on using leather Carolina work boots with anti-slip bottoms.

I've basically been assuming blue jeans for pants, but would you recommend a full heavy denier pant set for starting out?

No winter riding. Cold rubber, lots of sand/salt, and less expectant drivers scare me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Fishvilla posted:

Definitely. I'll be doing the BRC as soon as classes open up in the spring (no riding until then).

Gloves were on the list, but good catch. When you say protective clothing for legs/ankles, would you recommend motorcycle specific boots with the hard plastic bits on them? I was planning on using leather Carolina work boots with anti-slip bottoms.

I've basically been assuming blue jeans for pants, but would you recommend a full heavy denier pant set for starting out?

No winter riding. Cold rubber, lots of sand/salt, and less expectant drivers scare me.

Get these: http://www.dainese.com/ca_en/motorshoe-air-75547.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fishvilla posted:

When you say protective clothing for legs/ankles, would you recommend motorcycle specific boots with the hard plastic bits on them?

Yes on the boots. No matter how heavy duty they are, regular work/industrial boots won't cut it on a bike, especially wrt ankle hyperextension. Textile riding pants with knee and hip armor at least.

M42 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 14, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Once you take the BRC and confirm you actually like riding, at minimum you'll want some motorcycle-specific riding pants w/ armor, jacket w/ armor, helmet, and gloves. Motorcycle boots should also be a serious consideration, they're designed to work on pegs, with the shifter, and offer better protection than work boots.

For the BRC you can get by with jeans, work boots, sweat shirt, and gardening gloves.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fishvilla posted:

. Scorpion EXO looks like the ticket on the helmet.

This will depend on whether they fit your head well or not. Everyone has different brands of helmet that fit them well, you will have to try some on first to find which brands and models fit the shape of your head.

Fishvilla posted:

Blue jeans are about as effective as women's nylons in a crash, wear proper motorcycle pants with armour.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Awesome advice. Thanks for the great direction and input. I'll make sure my budget accounts for full armor and coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
http://southbend.craigslist.org/mcy/5266219915.html

End of summer, dudes clearing out their sheds, seeing a lot more postings like this one here. On the one hand, a running vehicle for $450 and no risk to my nice bike by riding like an rear end, on the other I like not breaking my legs or having potential lawn ornaments.

...Basically if I were still single I would have at least three junk bikes like this due to ill decision making skills.