Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Settings -> Posts -> Always open links

Unless you did something that is just related to pics then idk

That was it, thanks. I was looking in Images because I clicked on an image to get that modal to come up to begin with, seems odd for it to be in Posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else noticed some oddities when using the app in landscape mode? Sometimes I find that if I go back to the main forum index, touching any forum link on the left side expands the thread I was last on instead of loading the subforum on the right side. It's not a big deal - closing the app and loading it seems to clear whatever "You were on this thread" data and I can navigate fine.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I couldn't glean any suggestions in a search.

I've been getting "loading failed" occasionally for a long time but now it's an epidemic.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, logged out... No success. Any suggestions? Delete some folder maybe?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sometimes you get that message when there's no actual problem - try closing and reopening the app (no need to clear anything) and see if it still works

It seems to happen more in say pic threads - it's being looked into but it might need a bunch of work

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Weird request, would it be possible to add an option for animated avatars to animate only when expanded?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Funkmaster General posted:

Weird request, would it be possible to add an option for animated avatars to animate only when expanded?

I took a quick look and making that happen looks a bit... complicated with the way things are now, but I'm not really familiar with that side of things. Sereri will probably know if it's a simple tweak or a Big Deal

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Sometimes you get that message when there's no actual problem - try closing and reopening the app (no need to clear anything) and see if it still works

It seems to happen more in say pic threads - it's being looked into but it might need a bunch of work
[Loading Failed! Issue]
If I had to deduce a cause it's that when it's been suspended in the background something goes wrong. On first open or after closing and reopening it, never happens.

Going back and forth between maybe one other app and it's fine.

Ignore it for a while or running several other apps before returning to Awful seems to lead to a high chance of it happening. Sometimes I think just having the phone screen dark for awhile will trigger it. But it doesn't seem reliable enough to be certain what causes it.

For what it's worth the vast majority of my browsed threads have no images in them and I've disabled gifs for quite some time.

Galaxy S5 and att if that matters. Going to try uninstalling again after logging off first.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Don't bother uninstalling it, really. I have it happen while I'm browsing, and some threads do it reliably, so it's not a background issue specifically. The network stuff is getting looked at so until then, the best you can do is close and reopen if you keep getting that message.

If you get it repeatably (yospos pics thread does it for me, first page works then the next chokes) then posting a link to the thread might help, but only if it happens predictably. The info about it failing when it's been suspended for a while is useful though, thanks! Could be a memory thing

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Funkmaster General posted:

Sounds like an interesting idea and shouldn't be to hard. I'll take a stab at it.

Has anyone else problems opening page 740 of the Android App thread in Awful?

For some reason the source code comes out scrambled for me and the page doesn't load.
E:/ actually I think its an image for some reason:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 11, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't think it's processing images attached to posts properly, because it's only giving a url that links to the forum login page in the web browser (ie; it's not passing user authentications to something that wants them in order to return the inline images).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

Sounds like an interesting idea and shouldn't be to hard. I'll take a stab at it.

Has anyone else problems opening page 740 of the Android App thread in Awful?

For some reason the source code comes out scrambled for me and the page doesn't load.
E:/ actually I think its an image for some reason:

FWIW that page loads fine for me, going from my bookmarks or from the link in your post.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

In the last couple of days I've been getting Error - Not Logged In. At the moment, just after logging back in, I still get Loading Failed whenever I try to load any threads. Any advice?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Time for a new thread title I think!

hooah posted:

FWIW that page loads fine for me, going from my bookmarks or from the link in your post.

Same for me... wonder if it's a locale thing?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Seems to be working again now after using Chrome for a while earlier. No clue.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Suddenly I'm logged out again. Still logged in to Chrome. Anyone else having this happen? Guess for now I'm going to uninstall the app and try again from scratch.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Did you try closing the app (swiping it away in the task switcher) and then opening it again?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The app saves all my PMs, even ones I delete. There doesn't appear to be any way to clear them. Is there a solution?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You mean you delete them in the browser, but the app still shows them?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

baka kaba posted:

You mean you delete them in the browser, but the app still shows them?
Yes. They're still readable and everything, but on any browser it shows 0 PMs.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes. They're still readable and everything, but on any browser it shows 0 PMs.

Congrats on discovering a way to archive your PMs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

baka kaba posted:

Don't bother uninstalling it, really. I have it happen while I'm browsing, and some threads do it reliably, so it's not a background issue specifically. The network stuff is getting looked at so until then, the best you can do is close and reopen if you keep getting that message.

If you get it repeatably (yospos pics thread does it for me, first page works then the next chokes) then posting a link to the thread might help, but only if it happens predictably. The info about it failing when it's been suspended for a while is useful though, thanks! Could be a memory thing

Replying to this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515357&pagenumber=1179&perpage=40
Does it almost always. Eventually after closing awful, browsing for a while, I might be able to post. Maybe.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

contrapants posted:

Congrats on discovering a way to archive your PMs.
I don't have a use for all these Gunky Junket PMs.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Did you try closing the app (swiping it away in the task switcher) and then opening it again?

I closed it that way just now, before I logged back in. I'll try that if it happens again. I was on lunch at work, so I didn't get around to uninstalling it yet anyway.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

This worked, at least temporarily. As I was browsing again, I've had to do this twice in the last few minutes. It doesn't make me log in again after I do it, but it apparently didn't prevent whatever is going wrong from doing it again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

This worked, at least temporarily. As I was browsing again, I've had to do this twice in the last few minutes. It doesn't make me log in again after I do it, but it apparently didn't prevent whatever is going wrong from doing it again.
If you find something that fixes it permanently, you should definitely share it with everyone else in the thread who's been talking about it for the last couple pages.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edit: Whoops, totally thought that was this thread, my bad!

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 14, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jehde posted:

Since the android games thread has been archived, I figured it would be best to ask here. Are their any good ports of Lemmings for android? Been having the itch lately and a smartphone seems like the best way to play it. Spirits is alright, but doesn't quite scratch the itch.

This is the thread for Awful, not general Android apps.

You want to go here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444891

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

anthonypants posted:

If you find something that fixes it permanently, you should definitely share it with everyone else in the thread who's been talking about it for the last couple pages.

Reading? On the internet? :v:

I admit I only initially skimmed the last few pages; I saw some stuff about Loading Failed, but missed the not logged in stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think I figured out what was behind the logging out issue. I started having it when I turned on webm embedding under Posts settings. When I turned that off, I stopped having problems.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

I think I figured out what was behind the logging out issue. I started having it when I turned on webm embedding under Posts settings. When I turned that off, I stopped having problems.

Yeah I found this out a few days ago - really don't know why it's causing a problem, but when you see an embedded gifv or webm it falls two loads later

If people want to disable that and see how things go, see if the issue still pops up in another situation, that would help

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I found this out a few days ago - really don't know why it's causing a problem, but when you see an embedded gifv or webm it falls two loads later

If people want to disable that and see how things go, see if the issue still pops up in another situation, that would help

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is increased memory use. IIRC it still happens with embedding disabled if the threads are image heavy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That might be a separate issue - I can consistently break it by looking at a webm/gifv (which still loads fine) and then for some reason the forum starts thinking you're not logged in. I've checked the actual request headers (in Java, I haven't analysed outgoing network traffic or anything) and the cookie is being sent, so I have no idea what the deal is. Makes no sense!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

baka kaba posted:

That might be a separate issue - I can consistently break it by looking at a webm/gifv (which still loads fine) and then for some reason the forum starts thinking you're not logged in. I've checked the actual request headers (in Java, I haven't analysed outgoing network traffic or anything) and the cookie is being sent, so I have no idea what the deal is. Makes no sense!

Are you certain the cookie's contents are correct?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm not the cookie master but it all seems to stay the same!

There's no reason why the internal SA cookie should change anyway, just because webview opened a html5 video from a completely different domain. Or why it should be permanently broken. Something screwy is going on

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Will Awful ever use the timg effect? Some image-heavy threads/pages are hard to load (or even read, when the image-heavy post slowly expands as images load) when everything loads full-size.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

Will Awful ever use the timg effect? Some image-heavy threads/pages are hard to load (or even read, when the image-heavy post slowly expands as images load) when everything loads full-size.

TIMG doesn't make the images a smaller file size or resolution, it just makes the full res full size picture display in a shrunken element.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think Bibs means the page jumps around as pics start loading and changing the layout

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

TIMG doesn't make the images a smaller file size or resolution, it just makes the full res full size picture display in a shrunken element.

Exactly; I'm speaking more towards the shrunken element thing I'm looking for. There are a bunch of times where a post has a bunch of larger images timg'd, and on the forum proper they are rightfully shrunk down to a thumbnail. In Awful, they appear full size.

baka kaba posted:

I think Bibs means the page jumps around as pics start loading and changing the layout

This is also part of the issue. As the images load from whatever placeholder Awful uses to their full size, the OP expands and the post that I was reading is now two posts lower. Scroll down to get to the post, another image loads/expands, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

Exactly; I'm speaking more towards the shrunken element thing I'm looking for. There are a bunch of times where a post has a bunch of larger images timg'd, and on the forum proper they are rightfully shrunk down to a thumbnail. In Awful, they appear full size.

This is also part of the issue. As the images load from whatever placeholder Awful uses to their full size, the OP expands and the post that I was reading is now two posts lower. Scroll down to get to the post, another image loads/expands, repeat.

Well if it was doing the TIMG reduce to 800 (or is it 640?) across thing, they're still going to expand... it's just going to be slightly less than the full width (but I have no idea what phone you're using, as it could easily be low enough resolution that wouldn't even help, since Awful already scales down to your phone's width).