Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Question Mark Mound posted:

One specific podcast I listen to, The Brendon Burns Show, for the last two episodes has been unable to play after downloading. It just jumps straight back to the "all episodes" screen. Other podcasts seem to work fine, and streaming the broken episodes through the web player seem to work, but I just can't seem to get it going through the downloaded file on the app. I've tried deleting the episodes, unsubscribing and resubscribing from the podcast, rebooting. Etc.

Anyone else had this?

Do the episodes work in a different podcast app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

gypsyshred posted:

Ugly Apps had an app called Episodes, and it worked really well for tracking tv shows. With the new version of iOS, it doesn't work at all, and its now pulled from the app store. So what I need is recommendations for an app to replace it. Is there any hope for recovering the data? I had a billion shows I was halfway through binging.

It works in the latest iOS 9.1 betas.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I grabbed Overcast because the whole smart speed has some appeal. I've been using Downcast forever and like it. So I exported and imported the OPML file with no problem. What I'm having a hard time finding is how to get old episodes. For instance, I found out about the "Tobolowsky Files" a couple of months ago, and have managed to listen up to about ep 55, so I want to get the last 15 or eps downloaded. In Downcast, I can do a show old eps, and then edit and select the ones I want to grab. I'm not seeing this in Overcast because I'm dumb or it's not there. I've got about 6 or so podcasts where I'm behind. Is there a way to do this?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ in your podcast list, you should see an Unplayed/All/Settings tab. Go to "All"

CaptainPsyko posted:

Do the episodes work in a different podcast app?
They work fine in Downcast, weird.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I listen to podcasts both on my phone and on my computer because I'm a horrible monster. Do any of these recommended Podcasts.app replacements sync up well with my iTunes podcast subscriptions/progress, or should I stick with the defaults?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Kins posted:

I listen to podcasts both on my phone and on my computer because I'm a horrible monster. Do any of these recommended Podcasts.app replacements sync up well with my iTunes podcast subscriptions/progress, or should I stick with the defaults?
If you want to sync with iTunes then it has to be the official podcasts app. I used to do the same but then found myself not really having to change my lifestyle too much to just listen to the podcast through my phone while at my PC.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you want to/have to use itunes then the official app is the only choice. Overcast and Pocket casts do have a browser-based player that you can listen through that syncs with the app though.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

^^^ in your podcast list, you should see an Unplayed/All/Settings tab. Go to "All"

I see that, but I don't want to go thru the 50 episode backlog of Revolutions one at a time. I was looking for an 'edit' select thing. Maybe I'll keep Downcast around for the backlogged stuff, and use Overcast for my up to date podcasts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I use Overcast, but the biggest issue with "All" is for podcasts with more than 500 or so episodes. I ran into that issue trying to pull up an old Nerdist episode someone recommended from 2012. Can't scroll that far back in Overcast, but got it fine Downcast.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

flosofl posted:

I use Overcast, but the biggest issue with "All" is for podcasts with more than 500 or so episodes. I ran into that issue trying to pull up an old Nerdist episode someone recommended from 2012. Can't scroll that far back in Overcast, but got it fine Downcast.

Overcast is fine, and pretty slick for most simple stuff (listening to the most recent podcast from a few subscriptions) but for really intensive use, or for odd edge case requirements, it falls down.

Just too few options:
I want to auto-download all new episodes of some podcasts that I really care about, but for all the rest, I want them set to stream only, as I only listen occasionally.

You can't do this, because...

The web player is also a big let-down for me, as it doesn't expose playlists, or seemingly sync anything. No changes are promised. Pocketcast's web player is far better, and usefully re-creates the app online.

Another annoyance: it doesn't have Google cast (chromecast support). I suspect Marco would have a problem supporting anything that isn't 100% apple approved, so won't ever happen.

Also, I've had 5 or 6 occasions when I open overcast to try it out again after a long time with another player, and it goes crazy, getting stuck in a fugue state trying to download everything published for months, and not responding to cancel / pause button pushes. Maybe this isn't a problem now in v2.0, but Downcast works perfectly for me with the same usage.

It just shows that a one-man band isn't up to the job of writing and supporting an app like this imo, it's too much work to do well.

wooger fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 14, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tweetbot updated to have 3D touch home screen actions, peek and pop within the app for all tweets and some language corrections.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wooger posted:

I want to auto-download all new episodes of some podcasts that I really care about, but for all the rest, I want them set to stream only, as I only listen occasionally.
If you have a podcast subscribed in your list, you can go to it, then Settings (like my last screenshot) then uncheck the "Subscribe to All New Episodes" option.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

If you want to/have to use itunes then the official app is the only choice. Overcast and Pocket casts do have a browser-based player that you can listen through that syncs with the app though.
I might give the Overcast browser thing a spin one afternoon, then. See how it works out for me. We'll see what happens, anyway. Thanks!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

If you have a podcast subscribed in your list, you can go to it, then Settings (like my last screenshot) then uncheck the "Subscribe to All New Episodes" option.

No, I want to be *subscribed* to them - i.e. get updates on new ones, regardless.

I just don't want to download them automatically unless they're my favourite ones.

That option doesn't do what I was looking for.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

It works in the latest iOS 9.1 betas.

So it does! Thanks!

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
To continue Overcast chat. I added the 10 or so podcasts from PocketCasts I want updates on. On two of them I checked Subscribe to New and keep last 2 unplayed. The rest I have that unchecked. That is just for downloading of episodes, correct? Because at the main screen for overcasts it only shows those two as having new podcasts while the rest are all in the Played Podcasts section even though there are new podcasts. I want my podcasts to update, but not download, and show in chronological order with those with new podcasts being at the top like PocketCasts.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an app that can track car maintenance? I'm looking for something simple that can track oil changes, air filter changes, spark plug replacements etc. Free would be great a paid app would be OK as well.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Tweetbot updated to have 3D touch home screen actions, peek and pop within the app for all tweets and some language corrections.

and again with a swipe-to-dismiss-able Safari View Controller and automatic opening of the YouTube app when tapping YouTube links

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

101 posted:

automatic opening of the YouTube app when tapping YouTube links
Oh thank god. That got annoying the last few days.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

wooger posted:

No, I want to be *subscribed* to them - i.e. get updates on new ones, regardless.

I just don't want to download them automatically unless they're my favourite ones.

That option doesn't do what I was looking for.

Pretty sure iCatcher, the one true podcast application for iOS, allows you to set download rules for each podcast.

I'm subscribed to a multitude of podcasts, some are set to download automatically, others just show me a new episode was posted so I can stream it.

It's a great little feature-rich podcast client without all the stupid bullshit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an app that can track car maintenance? I'm looking for something simple that can track oil changes, air filter changes, spark plug replacements etc. Free would be great a paid app would be OK as well.

GasTracker+ is free and is mainly for keeping track of fuel ups but it can also be used to log car maintenance and also set reminders based on either time or mileage. It was a standalone app for a while but they got bought/merged with Fuelly so you can also manage stuff on their site.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

bobdigi posted:

Have you taken a look at TeamViewer? It's free and has apps for iOS/Android/Win/Mac.

The major market for TeamViewer is for basement dwellers getting their rocks off by being told what to do by Internet dominatrices. See also: kik. :haw:

(The sex worker community on Twitter are pretty cool and laid-back when they're off the clock)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TinTower posted:

The major market for TeamViewer is for basement dwellers getting their rocks off by being told what to do by Internet dominatrices. See also: kik. :haw:

(The sex worker community on Twitter are pretty cool and laid-back when they're off the clock)

Major market != What you personally use it for.

But major cool points for knowing sex workers on Twitter, I guess?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

But major cool points for knowing sex workers on Twitter, I guess?

Well it's not like it's hard, they're perfectly willing to act like they like you if you pay enough.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Well it's not like it's hard.

Story of my life. :v:

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

TinTower posted:

wtf does this even mean?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

bobdigi posted:

wtf does this even mean?

Which part?

When you get involved with sex work research and policy, you tend to hear a lot about the swarms of horny men wanting women to tell them what to do. And TeamViewer is one of those solutions to that problem.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I use Downcast to save episodes and Overcast to play them since I have both.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

GasTracker+ is free and is mainly for keeping track of fuel ups but it can also be used to log car maintenance and also set reminders based on either time or mileage. It was a standalone app for a while but they got bought/merged with Fuelly so you can also manage stuff on their site.

I've used Gas Cubby for years, but after looking at this app I think I'm gonna make the switch.
Gas Cubby is very usable and has a lot of stats and reminders for maintenance, but GasTracker looks nicer.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TinTower posted:

Which part?

When you get involved with sex work research and policy, you tend to hear a lot about the swarms of horny men wanting women to tell them what to do. And TeamViewer is one of those solutions to that problem.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

benisntfunny posted:

Reading this guy's posts is a real mindfuck. A medium-quality troll, points for surrealism.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Michael Scott posted:

Reading this guy's posts is a real mindfuck. A medium-quality troll, points for surrealism.

I feel like he's trying to be funny or make some super witty joke that only he will understand because of how "smart" he is compared to all us retards.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
maybe his name is ben lol

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is there a reason Hangouts causes the sync/loading/whateverspinything at the top to stay on? I'm bad at iOS.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CancerStick posted:

To continue Overcast chat. I added the 10 or so podcasts from PocketCasts I want updates on. On two of them I checked Subscribe to New and keep last 2 unplayed. The rest I have that unchecked. That is just for downloading of episodes, correct? Because at the main screen for overcasts it only shows those two as having new podcasts while the rest are all in the Played Podcasts section even though there are new podcasts. I want my podcasts to update, but not download, and show in chronological order with those with new podcasts being at the top like PocketCasts.

As I said, this is not possible in Overcast, and mainly why I don't use it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

decypher posted:

Pretty sure iCatcher, the one true podcast application for iOS, allows you to set download rules for each podcast.

I'm subscribed to a multitude of podcasts, some are set to download automatically, others just show me a new episode was posted so I can stream it.

It's a great little feature-rich podcast client without all the stupid bullshit.

I actually used to use this, but ran into bugs (2 minute freezes when navigating podcasts) with ~50 podcasts subscribed. Dev couldn't fix them.

Then the app updated for a new iOS version, and performance was so bad I jumped to another app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bobdigi posted:

wtf does this even mean?

benisntfunny posted:

I was confused, too, remembering Teamviewer as just a basic, free RDP program. But apparently Teamviewer nowadays also has video chat, like Skype?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I was confused, too, remembering Teamviewer as just a basic, free RDP program. But apparently Teamviewer nowadays also has video chat, like Skype?

There are internet dominatrixes who will do weird poo poo to your computer remotely for money.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks for this context. I kept wondering why these people would care about remote access to another persons computer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

vikingstrike posted:

Thanks for this context. I kept wondering why these people would care about remote access to another persons computer!

See above:

No Pants posted:

There are internet dominatrixes who will do weird poo poo to your computer remotely for money.

And, of course, there is a willing market. Because of course there is, this is the Internet.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 15, 2015