Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

one of those balance patches will be made entirely of tooltip updates and icon changes

three pages of "Grenade Barrage: Removed the duplicate Number of Targets skill fact while underwater. Added a Number of Targets skill fact to Grenade Barrage in PvP."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Turncoat Mommy posted:

guild wars 2 is already recognized by the prestigious ESL organization like fuckin forever ago. the esports ship has been sailing with gw2 on board for a while now

Viewer numbers on twitch for the Cologne finals were on average around 3,000 with the finals getting around 9,000 viewers on twitch. The year before that was around 2k (?) I think. They aren't to magically increase those numbers. I don't have a problem with them offering cash but $400,000 is just flushing money down the toilet.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

400k is 8000 purchases, just after selling a fucktonne of copies of HoT. They've also got gem purchases and deluxe editions and potentially stream revenue. PvP is a small section of the game, but they can probably afford to invest a bit in it. PvP is growing anyway, and it's not like there's literally only a couple of hundred people playing.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
2 programmers and a janitor isn't going to fix whatever issue you have with this game either way

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LiftAuff posted:

I don't have a problem with them offering cash but $400,000 is just flushing money down the toilet.

Clearly they're hoping to get the legendary money precursor.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I spectated some spvp games today, and following a Mesmer around didn't really convince me to try it out. It was also funny seeeing people repeatedly jump to their deaths on Skyhammer, eventually I asked and it was because of dailies. Maybe one day, uh.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

You were spectating people doing dailies in a hotjoin map. Please don't mistake that for PvP.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

midnightclimax posted:

I spectated some spvp games today, and following a Mesmer around didn't really convince me to try it out. It was also funny seeeing people repeatedly jump to their deaths on Skyhammer, eventually I asked and it was because of dailies. Maybe one day, uh.

i think you spectated a daily server which are one of the saddest things in the game

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yeah I noticed that, so I switched. Just mentioning Mesmer because watching people go for his illusions was frustrating to watch.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
People might actually take interest in spvp now that it's going to be a moba. Just wait for Anet to remove the rewards on all the old pvp maps so that people will focus on the good new content, and then it will really take off.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
Reading about all the Scrapper stuff is making me want to go to the Greek place down the street.

siddy
Jul 27, 2010
Well, looks like I'm back to GW2 after a long hiatus.

Is there still a good GOON contingent playing WvW? I've noticed I've been kicked out of the guild and will be reapplying soon.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

MooCowlian posted:

400k is 8000 purchases, just after selling a fucktonne of copies of HoT. They've also got gem purchases and deluxe editions and potentially stream revenue. PvP is a small section of the game, but they can probably afford to invest a bit in it. PvP is growing anyway, and it's not like there's literally only a couple of hundred people playing.

That second gif is depressing. In alpha testing the devs used to join guilds on vent and talk about PvP and they sounded completely on board with pretty much everything the high-end pvpers/streamers were pitching. Then they went on vacation, came back, boom. All of that poo poo out the window. ESPORTS!

On a more positive note, returning to the game has so far been very fun. I forgot how much charm this game packs in at the start. Hopefully I won't become bitter about the end-game again. Hopefully. Seems like there's been a ton added in three years, though.

Degs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 14, 2015

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah I noticed that, so I switched. Just mentioning Mesmer because watching people go for his illusions was frustrating to watch.

The other thing is that most people who want to actually pvp rather than just get their dailies done use the matchmaking queue anyway. Your best bet if you want to see people with a reasonable level of skill is probably to spectate one of the dueling servers. You could also just queue up for unranked and play a couple games. It's fun!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

siddy posted:

Is there still a good GOON contingent playing WvW? I've noticed I've been kicked out of the guild and will be reapplying soon.

Dead game, ignore op, never updated.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Degs posted:

That second gif is depressing. In alpha testing the devs used to join guilds on vent and talk about PvP and they sounded completely on board with pretty much everything the high-end pvpers/streamers were pitching. Then they went on vacation, came back, boom. All of that poo poo on the window. ESPORTS!

I wouldn't mind the ESPORTS bandwagon so much if sPvP were fun to watch at all. I've been pugging and working with a guild for like 5 months now and still can't tell wtf is going on in a match as a spectator. I mean yeah poo poo like LoL and DOTA2 and even SC2 set a precedent that visual diarrhea is ok in ESPORTS, but it's going to prove super-limiting in the long run.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

siddy posted:

Starfleet Dental does weekly WvW wednesdays. You can join both goon guilds, so if Goon Squad also does WvW you can participate with them as well. I have been doing WvW with a few dentists for the past few nights

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I am one of SFD's commanders and was commanding daily for Maguuma goons until 2 weeks ago when I lost my voice, now I'm taking a break till HoT launches (so is every other mag guild)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon posted:

this happens with regularity!

In fairness I am taking a vacation from OP updating right now because I don't want to do it on a cell phone and annoyingly bad cell reception, sorry thread!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Give me your password I'll do it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness I am taking a vacation from OP updating right now because I don't want to do it on a cell phone and annoyingly bad cell reception, sorry thread!

You're history's greatest monster.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there an option buried somewhere that lets me press escape to close menus/bags/whatever?

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Countblanc posted:

is there an option buried somewhere that lets me press escape to close menus/bags/whatever?

You should be able to do that by default. Unless you enabled the "prevent using escape for closing windows" option.

(yes this is a real option)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mercurius posted:

Diego, please stop getting worked up over agony resistance as you’re getting upset over a misconception you have and consequently spreading FUD in the thread for no real reason. As Lorikeet said, we’re having to constantly explain how the stuff works in game so I’ll try and write a concise explanation here.

Nothing that you quoted there was me being worked up over anything. Though my past few posts sure as poo poo were, I'm not denying that. I was replying to Hefty who was asking about just jumping into fractals without AR. And I wasn't spreading FUD. It was incorrect information I was spreading in my pissy misinformed rants, not Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Unless you mean inspiring the generation of FUD in others. FUD sounds so stupid to say, you could just as easily say I was spreading misinformation and confusing others.

I was also just explaining that my priority of leveling each class to max at the rate of an employed casual player has prevented me from investing enough time to actually get deep into fractals. I was, as you pointed out, incorrect about buying the simple infusions with laurels, which was another thing holding me back as I was saving laurels for alts. I could have been purchasing the infusions with fractal relics all along.

I also completely forgot that infused items get a spare slot, so you can get more AR in there. I also didn't realize that rings and backs were the only things that could be infused. And yeah I didn't realize that the stacking infusions were only usable in that slot. That alone makes the grind for these infusions way less bad if it should come to you needing to do it. I also did think that infusing rings was just as bad as the backs, and at no point would toss a stack of ectos into a ring for more AR slots. So the fact that that is not the case is really nice to know.

I was also pissed with how much it would take to get to the mid fractals, not even the higher level ones. But based on what you and others have said, with the simple infusions alone in the easy to obtain items with infusion slots (back from crafted, commendations and rings) you can get a total of 20AR. 25 if you want to use the amulet but yeah no you're right you really shouldn't do that. So with infused rings there really is nothing holding you back from being able to do 20-29 range fractals. That is way better than what I thought.

Now someone point out where I'm wrong here because I probably am, but fractals do have a higher chance at dropping ascended gear boxes than world bosses. That sounds good good, right? The drop rate depends on the fractal level! I think at like rank 40 or so you can have a 4% drop rate of ascended armor chests? This isn't easy to get to without ascended weapons/armors to begin with! You can get ring drops and atuff to make rings. That's nice but it ain't getting you to the higher tiers alone without grinding the stackable infusions.

Having ascended armor being a requirement to gain access to higher level fractals is complete BS due to the efforts it takes to craft them. If fractals had more rewards involving ascended item creation, it would make sense to have ascended items be required for higher level play. Having armor boxes be a super duper rare drop until higher ranks (in which it is still rare) doesn't help with getting the requirements fulfilled for reaching those higher ranks.

I understand ascended armor is supposed to be prestigious. But it provides nothing more than some poo poo stat boosts and an infusion slot. The main draw to the armor is the infusion slot, but in order to get the 100% assured way of getting it (crafting it), you need to spend a gently caress load of resources obtainable from every game mode, a poo poo ton of money, and have it all be time gated. Technically time gated, but you can buy the time gated stuff off the TP of course. It provides no advantage in pve (save the amulet utility slot which is very nice), nothing in spvp by design, and wvw may get a worthwhile boost in the weapons? I heard it might be nice a long time ago when they fist came out, but I can't stand wvw without live chat so I don't bother playing it unless jerkjerk is doing stuff.

TLDR: I was wrong with a lot of stuff, but access to higher level tiers of fractals based on ascended accessability is still lovely as it takes an enormous amount of resources to obtain an item whose entire gimmick is useful only in fractals. And you need multiple.

Arus if you put Mercurius' well written ditty of fractal information in the OP, which you should it's kinda really helpful, please keep in him calling me out on FUD.

Edit:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh. Well yeah it's kinda poo poo to do that on the phone. Whenever I skip out of reception and I had a half typed post, it just ends up getting deleted. It's such a pain.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 14, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I won't, because it's way too wordy, but I will link to it. Someone remind me in 2 weeks.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Nothing that you quoted there was me being worked up over anything. Though my past few posts sure as poo poo were, I'm not denying that. I was replying to Hefty who was asking about just jumping into fractals without AR. And I wasn't spreading FUD. It was incorrect information I was spreading in my pissy misinformed rants, not Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Unless you mean inspiring the generation of FUD in others. FUD sounds so stupid to say, you could just as easily say I was spreading misinformation and confusing others.

I was also just explaining that my priority of leveling each class to max at the rate of an employed casual player has prevented me from investing enough time to actually get deep into fractals. I was, as you pointed out, incorrect about buying the simple infusions with laurels, which was another thing holding me back as I was saving laurels for alts. I could have been purchasing the infusions with fractal relics all along.

I also completely forgot that infused items get a spare slot, so you can get more AR in there. I also didn't realize that rings and backs were the only things that could be infused. And yeah I didn't realize that the stacking infusions were only usable in that slot. That alone makes the grind for these infusions way less bad if it should come to you needing to do it. I also did think that infusing rings was just as bad as the backs, and at no point would toss a stack of ectos into a ring for more AR slots. So the fact that that is not the case is really nice to know.

I was also pissed with how much it would take to get to the mid fractals, not even the higher level ones. But based on what you and others have said, with the simple infusions alone in the easy to obtain items with infusion slots (back from crafted, commendations and rings) you can get a total of 20AR. 25 if you want to use the amulet but yeah no you're right you really shouldn't do that. So with infused rings there really is nothing holding you back from being able to do 20-29 range fractals. That is way better than what I thought.

Now someone point out where I'm wrong here because I probably am, but fractals do have a higher chance at dropping ascended gear boxes than world bosses. That sounds good good, right? The drop rate depends on the fractal level! I think at like rank 40 or so you can have a 4% drop rate of ascended armor chests? This isn't easy to get to without ascended weapons/armors to begin with! You can get ring drops and atuff to make rings. That's nice but it ain't getting you to the higher tiers alone without grinding the stackable infusions.

Having ascended armor being a requirement to gain access to higher level fractals is complete BS due to the efforts it takes to craft them. If fractals had more rewards involving ascended item creation, it would make sense to have ascended items be required for higher level play. Having armor boxes be a super duper rare drop until higher ranks (in which it is still rare) doesn't help with getting the requirements fulfilled for reaching those higher ranks.

I understand ascended armor is supposed to be prestigious. But it provides nothing more than some poo poo stat boosts and an infusion slot. The main draw to the armor is the infusion slot, but in order to get the 100% assured way of getting it (crafting it), you need to spend a gently caress load of resources obtainable from every game mode, a poo poo ton of money, and have it all be time gated. Technically time gated, but you can buy the time gated stuff off the TP of course. It provides no advantage in pve (save the amulet utility slot which is very nice), nothing in spvp by design, and wvw may get a worthwhile boost in the weapons? I heard it might be nice a long time ago when they fist came out, but I can't stand wvw without live chat so I don't bother playing it unless jerkjerk is doing stuff.

TLDR: I was wrong with a lot of stuff, but access to higher level tiers of fractals based on ascended accessability is still lovely as it takes an enormous amount of resources to obtain an item whose entire gimmick is useful only in fractals. And you need multiple.

Arus if you put Mercurius' well written ditty of fractal information in the OP, which you should it's kinda really helpful, please keep in him calling me out on FUD.

Edit:

Oh. Well yeah it's kinda poo poo to do that on the phone. Whenever I skip out of reception and I had a half typed post, it just ends up getting deleted. It's such a pain.

WHO AMONG YOU IS BRAVE ENOUGH TO TEST YOUR METTLE IN MELTDOWN ARENA

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Not a meltdown, just Diego being Diego

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

CLAM DOWN posted:

I won't, because it's way too wordy, but I will link to it. Someone remind me in 2 weeks.

In two weeks it will probably be out of date because the mists will clear around the fractal masteries OoooOOoooo.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Crafting everyone to 80 is coming back to bite me with these goddamn hero challenges.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Visidan posted:

Crafting everyone to 80 is coming back to bite me with these goddamn hero challenges.

Most of my alts are leveled through dungeons/tomes/crafting and getting 60 points at least for each is killing me

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Not a meltdown, just Diego being Diego

Yeah no, I don't meltdown. I was just making my previous points clear, agreeing I was wrong with a lot of things, and finally reiterating that ascended items being hugely expensive prestigious items while providing nothing more than an infusion slot in fractals, while not really being easier to obtain via fractals without higher rank fractal box drops being a bit loving stupid.

How did you read that and think I was melting down?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Alternately link the Fractal page on the wiki. It'd be nice and complementary: a link to the wiki no one reads from the op no one reads.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

Most of my alts are leveled through dungeons/tomes/crafting and getting 60 points at least for each is killing me

It's not too bad if you don't have a lot of alts.

:haw:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

frankly you'd get more ascended chests doing pvp tracks than high-scale fractals

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kessel posted:

frankly you'd get more ascended chests doing pvp tracks than high-scale fractals

This is true. I get a decent amount of stuff this way, but I pretty much only play ranked and have a 90% win rate.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What gives you ascended drops in spvp?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Xun posted:

What gives you ascended drops in spvp?

The champion loot chests/bags can drop ascended chests sometimes. I've gotten 1 or 2 weapon chests this way.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sprite141 posted:

I still didn't read the thread or the wiki or anyone's responses to my posts.
Dude, just stop. I say you're trying to spread FUD about Fractals and ascended gear just because you don't understand the mechanics and decided to go off on a tirade half-cocked and you're still doing it, read your own goddamn post. New players who are trying to find information about Fractals might be scared off from even thinking about trying them from the incorrect stuff you're still posting which is completely unfair on them, particularly with the changes to Fractals being the preferred 5 man group content in Heart of Thorns.

I know you have a different way of how you play the game to most people but please try to remember that there are a lot of goons who read the thread but don't post in it and when you drown out pages of discussion with hysterics about how everything about fractals and Ascended armour is awful then those people who just read the thread might never decide to even try.

To reiterate: you don't need ascended armour to do level 49 fractals because you can get 55AR from a full set of trinkets+weapon if you infuse the rings and backpack (and you'll get the drops required to infuse the stuff doing up to 29 fairly quickly). There's a very minimal difference in terms of reward between 49 and 50 and we don't know what's going to happen with the fractal masteries at this point so just chill out.

You only need 10AR (which you can get in the accessories you can buy every 2 weeks of guild missions) to trivialise the damage in 10-19 fractals. You only need 25AR (either a weapon+3 trinkets, 5 trinkets or less if you end up with an infused ring) to do the same for 20-29. Again, anecdotally, I (and others like Cletus) have received more ascended gear box drops and fractal skins from 19 and 29 than we have from 49/50.

Generic Octopus posted:

Alternately link the Fractal page on the wiki. It'd be nice and complementary: a link to the wiki no one reads from the op no one reads.
Seriously. The Agony Resistance page on the wiki has everything I posted except it's a factual infodump because it's a wiki page.

For those who aren't aware, you can type /wiki {topic} (so in this case /wiki Fractals of the Mists or /wiki Agony Resistance) into the chat box in game and it'll open up the relevant page on the official GW2 wiki. It's a pretty neat feature and a good way to get a quick explanation on something you're unfamiliar with.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 14, 2015

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

ItBurns posted:

This is true. I get a decent amount of stuff this way, but I pretty much only play ranked and have a 90% win rate.

When is your line of branded peripherals launching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Ascended gear is free if you gather the materials to craft it yourself.

edit: sorry, I was wrong. There's some crap you have to buy from the tradeskill vendors too, thermocatalytic reagents. might end up costing a gold or two.

• Locked thread