Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah some people had this theory last week, I think Macdeo Lurjtux was the first one (at least in this thread, but I am sure it's come up elsewhere).
It makes sense storytelling wise but not realistic-wise that Jay didn't immediately go, "By the way Zoom looks exactly like you only black and blurrier. Weird, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hazo posted:

It makes sense storytelling wise but not realistic-wise that Jay didn't immediately go, "By the way Zoom looks exactly like you only black and blurrier. Weird, huh?"

I mean aside from having a suit that I guess has a cowl(?) but could also be like a weird skull mask thing, I don't think they really look alike?

Like it makes it seem like Garrick and Zoom have fought before but that he knew nothing else about him. The only thing he would really be able to tell is that Barry maybe was the same height and a similar build to zoom, but even that would be obscured by the suit and constant blurriness.

I think it would be equally weird to say "hey this guy I fought from another dimension is roughly the same height as you! He must be your evil version!"

EDIT: I mean I guess E-2 Barry could be in a wheelchair which would put him beyond all suspicion as well.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean aside from having a suit that I guess has a cowl(?) but could also be like a weird skull mask thing, I don't think they really look alike?
Buh? Sure he's got a full face mask or cowl or whatever but he's got the padding and insignia in all the same (or similar) places as the Flash costume.

Like, I'm not staking my reputation on this as a serious theory or anything (a little too obvious) but they very much do look alike.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hazo posted:

Buh? Sure he's got a full face mask or cowl or whatever but he's got the padding and insignia in all the same (or similar) places as the Flash costume.

Like, I'm not staking my reputation on this as a serious theory or anything (a little too obvious) but they very much do look alike.

Yes, this man in a mask looks very much like another man in a mask. Hmm, you've cracked the case wide open.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh I didn't even notice he had the (backwards) flash insignia. But then it is weird that Jay didn't mention it anyway, regardless if it turns out to be true or a red herring.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

How would he know what Zoom looks like? Jay even says no one knows who Zoom is.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Drifter posted:

Yes, this man in a mask has an all-black identical version of the uniform of another man in a mask. Hmm, you've cracked the case wide open.
Thanks

thrawn527 posted:

How would he know what Zoom looks like? Jay even says no one knows who Zoom is.
He may not know who he is but the guy jammed his fingers into his chest six months ago. As I said, in superhero media nobody really mentions costumes but it seems like in the real world somebody would probably eventually go "Boy a bunch of you really seem to like textured leather and chest logos."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Thanks

He may not know who he is but the guy jammed his fingers into his chest six months ago. As I said, in superhero media nobody really mentions costumes but it seems like in the real world somebody would probably eventually go "Boy a bunch of you really seem to like textured leather and chest logos."

He appears to be covered from head to toe in black leather, so even if they're fighting hand to hand, I don't know how he'd know what he looks like.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I kind of hope her "It's like you were there" means she thinks he's some insane serial killer.

Well Barry has killed two people so he's on his way!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Thanks

Also, the costume is similar in that it has the logo on the chest, but so did Reverse Flash, so that just seems to be "A Thing".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Along those lines, it's not really surprising that Iris is completely rehabilitated as a character by getting in on the secret. The same thing happened on Arrow; almost every problematic character was fixed by bringing them into the inner circle.

Secret identities are just bad plot mechanisms but for some reason DC leans on it super hard.

Speaking of inner circle, did Dr Wells leave Barry a shitload of money as well as STAR labs? Because it can't be cheap to pay for the utilities on that place.

Also I guess everyone forgot about future AI that Eobard had. :rip: AI

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

He appears to be covered from head to toe in black leather, so even if they're fighting hand to hand, I don't know how he'd know what he looks like.
Wait are you talking about faces? I'm talking about how the costumes are the same.

This is sort of what I mean, the people sitting here watching don't notice anything because we expect there to be bad guys palette-swapped with good guys since it happens all the time in comics. In a real life superhero world Jay would probably be like yo, it's pretty weird that Zoom guy from my universe has the same costume as your Flash only in black. It's one of those real-life-vs.-fantasy disconnects is all, I didn't expect it to be a huge derail.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Wait are you talking about faces? I'm talking about how the costumes are the same.

This is sort of what I mean, the people sitting here watching don't notice anything because we expect there to be bad guys palette-swapped with good guys since it happens all the time in comics. In a real life superhero world Jay would probably be like yo, it's pretty weird that Zoom guy from my universe has the same costume as your Flash only in black. It's one of those real-life-vs.-fantasy disconnects is all, I didn't expect it to be a huge derail.

Oh, my mistake. Carry on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But that future no longer happens.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

flosofl posted:

But that future no longer happens.

And yet the Video Will still exists for a man who, now, never existed.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

thrawn527 posted:

Zoom is Earth 2 Laurel Lance

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of inner circle, did Dr Wells leave Barry a shitload of money as well as STAR labs? Because it can't be cheap to pay for the utilities on that place.

Barry the Murderin' Fool probably wiped her hard drive or some poo poo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

And yet the Video Will still exists for a man who, now, never existed.

But the video-will was created in the current timeline. The AI was created in the never-will-happen future. Also, my understanding was he communicating with future AI in the actual future. How else could future AI report the changing headlines? Obviously whatever he was using wouldn't work to return himself. Probably the equivalent of talking to someone over the internet vs going to visit them by driving a car.

The future that secret-room was communicating with is gone, so no more access to the AI.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Also, the costume is similar in that it has the logo on the chest, but so did Reverse Flash, so that just seems to be "A Thing".

I always figured RF did it purposely to taunt the Flash.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Didn't Cisco shut it down last season?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Cisco wanted nothing to do with it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I wouldn't say she's been completely rehabilitated, she just isn't in-our-face-completely-awful so far. She feels like a non-factor so far in the first two episodes other than the trust speech to Barry.

Yeah she has not been bad so far, but as you say she hasn't really done anything apart from being there for other characters to talk to. Apart from swooning over Jay with Caitlin did she even do anything this episode?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And a satellite apparently. The lawyer made some mention that it was about to go into recievership when he delivered the USB video message and something would happen if Barry watched it, but I don't think they were very clear on it. I assume a bunch of money in trust to help Barry keep the place running?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah she has not been bad so far, but as you say she hasn't really done anything apart from being there for other characters to talk to. Apart from swooning over Jay with Caitlin did she even do anything this episode?

And a satellite apparently. The lawyer made some mention that it was about to go into recievership when he delivered the USB video message and something would happen if Barry watched it, but I don't think they were very clear on it. I assume a bunch of money in trust to help Barry keep the place running?

My assumption was that Wells had it setup to pay for itself unless Barry refused to watch the tape, at which point Barry would forfeit everything. It's also so perfectly RF-Wells, "I will give you a base of operations that will remind you every day how much I hate you"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I always figured RF did it purposely to taunt the Flash.

I've been doing a :v: reverse :v: run of the Flash from Season 2 through Season 1 on Netflix, and I just got to where Cisco names the Reverse-Flash and Wells goes "I kind-of like it." God that man does slimy well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I guess bad guys from alternate realities just get whacked then. Although to be fair, both of them were when they were doing metahuman things that could only be stopped by things that would probably kill them. Still, might be a good idea if they acknowledge it sooner rather than later.

Also hooray, they didn't take too long to introduce Wells 2.

And on the subject of logos, if I'm designing one for someone with super-speed who makes lightning when he runs, the first thing I think of is a lightning bolt. And I'm hosed if I can think of a second after that. I guess nobody else could either, in-universe or making the show.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

McDragon posted:

And on the subject of logos, if I'm designing one for someone with super-speed who makes lightning when he runs, the first thing I think of is a lightning bolt. And I'm hosed if I can think of a second after that. I guess nobody else could either, in-universe or making the show.

I'd go to Greek/Roman symbols, which is how we get Jay's look. :)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

Barry the Murderin' Fool probably wiped her hard drive or some poo poo

My god his hunger for murder can't be sated with just humans / meta humans.

S3 will be him creating AIs just to kill them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bad Moon posted:

Zoom is Earth 2 Laurel Lance

I kind of do half-hope that Zoom is someone completely crazy like Tommy, Joe or Iris. But the best choices probably would be Evil Barry or maybe Eddie.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Well Barry has killed two people so he's on his way!

I'm worried about Killer Frost Caitlin now. :ohdear: Barry's going to run around her so fast she melts.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aphrodite posted:

I would assume when Wells took off after being discovered he wouldn't leave a piece of future tech lying around for his enemies

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bad Moon posted:

I would assume when Wells took off after being discovered he wouldn't leave a piece of future tech lying around for his enemies

We haven't seen Gideon in forever because she(it?) has been running around as Zoom :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I actually hope it's revealed early on Zoom is some sort of Speed Force demon instead of just another character. Just to avoid repeating the "who is this Evil Flash?!" plotline from last season.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Personally, I hope every seasons villian is a new evil Flash.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I actually hope it's revealed early on Zoom is some sort of Speed Force demon instead of just another character. Just to avoid repeating the "who is this Evil Flash?!" plotline from last season.

There is actually a character like this from the comics that pretty much looks like the TV version of Zoom. It's a possibility.

There's also no reason to assume Zoom came from Earth-2 - he showed up right after Jay did, right? Maybe he came to that world in pursuit of him.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

XboxPants posted:

There is actually a character like this from the comics that pretty much looks like the TV version of Zoom. It's a possibility.

There's also no reason to assume Zoom came from Earth-2 - he showed up right after Jay did, right? Maybe he came to that world in pursuit of him.

We know he's not a direct translation, because Black Flash is really *only* chasing after/visible to Speedsters. The one in the show is sending people after Barry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

We haven't seen Gideon in forever because she(it?) has been running around as Zoom :colbert:

Gideon is busy sleeping with Jim Gordon I think.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Jay and Zoom are of one world, unless Zoom is a dimensional hopper like Mxyzptlk or whatever, which there is no indication he is.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

Gideon is busy sleeping with Jim Gordon I think.

I was reading that thread yesterday and apparently Got Ham is not poo poo now? I should maybe check it out again. Penguin being psycho as gently caress was nice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Stockholm Syndrome, it's still real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Drifter posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Jay and Zoom are of one world, unless Zoom is a dimensional hopper like Mxyzptlk or whatever, which there is no indication he is.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. He wants to be the only Flash of any world. If that thing he did with his hand was stealing Jay's powers for himself, it'd explain a lot, not just about Jay, but about Zoom and his origins. I think he bounces around from world to world yanking speed juice for himself, possibly killing the original speedster.

• Locked thread