Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JohnGalt posted:

Seriouspost:

Il compromise on guns. Repeal the NFA in exchange for public access to NICS and subsidized firearms training courses.

This is something I've noticed before, and I just want to point it out here: Gun nuts literally do not understand the definition of "compromise." In a compromise, party A gives something up, and party B gives something up, in order to agree and get something else. Under "JohnGalt"'s proposal, people who want gun control give up the 80 year old National Firearms Amendment, which means that they give up regulations on automatic weapons, explosive weapons, and suppressors. In exchange, gun fans get public access to NICS, and also our tax money to subsidize their hobby. Do you see where they are giving up anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fang posted:

Why aren't arson and bombing deaths worth putting effort into preventing?
Aren't they? Don't they track people buying legal items that can be used to make bombs? I'm just saying, pretty sure people making bombs is a big target of law enforcement and even attempting to build something is serious jail time. The government even puts a ton of effort in to questionable practices where they talk people in to trying to build bombs and then arrest them.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Bryter posted:

I don't recall saying they aren't.

You said that "...instituting policies like fire drills to minimise the potential for harm are good ideas," for arson and bombing, but then implied they were insufficient for guns by suggesting bans for guns. If policies are enough for arson and bombing, why not guns? Are you just suggesting solutions based on how easy you think they'll be to implement instead of whether they'll solve the problem?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Ddraig posted:

In general votes don't kill people, and aren't designed to.

Unless you vote for Republicans, I guess.

If voting Republican kills people, then it sounds like you'd be in favor of vote control. It opens up possibilities to restrict exercise of the right along lines that favor your chosen demographics.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
We should and do ban the possession or creation of bombs or high explosives by unlicensed individuals. A very relevant derail here by Socratic Morons desperately trying to deflect attention away from their toys

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fang posted:

If voting Republican kills people, then it sounds like you'd be in favor of vote control. It opens up possibilities to restrict exercise of the right along lines that favor your chosen demographics.
It is certainly something that happens in the US right now, and it is mostly legal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Might as well not regulate anything because all regulation has a vague similarity to poll testing, right? Drivers licenses are just as abhorrent too.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

Ammunition is a much easier expression of intent and is more comparable to loading up on ammonium nitrate than how many Glocks you have sitting around your house. If you're serious about stopping mass shooting, start with the amount of bulllets people are allowed to carry around. It probably won't lower homicides, but it's not like the Brady Bill did fuckall to stop gun violence in this country anyways.

The thing is it still really isn't comparable at all. There's no real ammunition equivalent to the difference between how much fertilizer you need as a casual gardener and how much you need to blow up a school. The amount of ammunition needed in a fairly short time frame to become or remain proficient with firearms is greater than you need for a mass shooting, and that's even if you're happy with a de facto ban on recreational target shooting. Even magazine size limits wouldn't make much difference in the nuts and bolts of mass shootings: when magazine size limits those it's more often because some comically oversized 100-round drum was unreliable and jammed, or even because someone grabbed a hold of it, rather than because reloading small ones made an opening. And that's just big mass shootings: a small box of ammo is more than enough for any other murdering you might care to do.

Ammo limits is a One Simple Trick type thing that's understandably popular in standup comedy routines, and would be a great Trump sound byte if there were still a lot of low-information anti-gun conservatives for him to be targeting, but it's not really sound policy.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

various cheeses posted:

That's a reasonable response, although warning shots into the air are not recommended in both the legal or tactical (I guess that would be the word for it?) sense, because those bullets fall somewhere. Long story short I guess, use the gun to quickly end the beatdown - not necessarily even firing a single shot.

As for yours:
Step one: cry my eyes out, but I'm sure as hell not going to turn the gun on myself and leave my youngest daughter alone in the world. That alone is worth living for.

I'm guessing it was post-partum depression leading to a murder-suicide?

Nope, it was the kid committing suicide. He was bullied at school we think, as a doc you don't get the whole story, the wife just had a (normal) minor depressive episode. The proportionally biggest victims of America's lack of gun regulation are children and women. As far as I know the dad and mom did not commit suicide.

Now my question to you becomes, should the evidence about the effectiveness of readily available fire-arms in preventing both your and my scenario's determine whether or not new gun regulations are enforced?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fang posted:

You said that "...instituting policies like fire drills to minimise the potential for harm are good ideas," for arson and bombing, but then implied they were insufficient for guns by suggesting bans for guns. If policies are enough for arson and bombing, why not guns? Are you just suggesting solutions based on how easy you think they'll be to implement instead of whether they'll solve the problem?

Arson and bomb making are both situations where there are many ways to accomplish those goals and placing restrictions on everything that is likely to cause such things to happen is both inherently impossible and profoundly stupid since there are many, many legitimate means why you may want to use elements in creating such things in other applications that don't involve making bombs or arson.

It's pretty easy, in comparison, to eliminate death by guns: Get rid of guns. In a hypothetical world where all guns were removed, it would be impossible for a gun to be used to kill someone. In a hypothetical world where all elements responsible for bombs and arson were removed we would not be able to cook, clean or sustain life at all.

HTH.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

[i]

Here's my scenario, which I encountered this year visiting your otherwise lovely country:

You own a gun and have a happy family life. You own this weapon for their protection as you live in a wealthy area where there were a few break-ins. You keep the unloaded gun safely tucked away on the top shelf of your closet. The only trouble in your life is that your 9 year old son has some issues at school with falling grades. You and your wife have talked to him about it and he's committed to no longer being distracted by some of the more obnoxious schoolmates. Your wife is having issues at work, has troubling getting out of bed in the morning and seems a bit listless but you attribute it to sleeplessness and fatigue following the birth of your youngest daughter.

You get a call at 6pm by a hysteric neighbour, your wife/son was shot and transported to the nearest hospital. You cut-off the conversation after hearing this and make a new record time through traffic to the hospital. The nurses explain that your wife/son was pronounced dead on arrival. You are greeted by a doctor who has seen this all before so many times that he asks the questions with an almost bored tone, while a goon looks over his shoulder: did you notice anything about his/her mood? did your wife/son have trouble getting out of bed? did this interfere with work and daily activities? Questions with terrifyingly mundane, a-specific answers that will be positive for almost everyone at some point in their lives.

You, my dear plate of various cheeses, conceal carry a snub-nosed pistol and sit in the parking lot, what do you do?

edit: you are not making GBS threads in the parking lot, i hope.

That's not an equivalent scenario. It would work only if someone had posited that someone jumps out of the alley and beats your friend to the point of brain damage while you look on, helpless, crying. You're positing a negative outcome right along with the setup. Did you really think your scenario was a parallel to the open-ended question to which you were responding, or did you just want to tell that story?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just because a bullet went into somebody at high speed and almost all their blood came out and their heart stopped beating and they started to rot, how do we like know that they're really Dead? How do we know guns kill anybody? I mean, whoa. Thanks for the contributions dudes

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

JT Jag posted:

Might as well not regulate anything because all regulation has a vague similarity to poll testing, right? Drivers licenses are just as abhorrent too.

No, I don't subscribe to the sort of anarchist paradise you're advocating here. Some regulation is justified. I just try to avoid regulation which is just noun replacement away from something that would be abhorrent.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Tezzor posted:

This is something I've noticed before, and I just want to point it out here: Gun nuts literally do not understand the definition of "compromise." In a compromise, party A gives something up, and party B gives something up, in order to agree and get something else. Under "JohnGalt"'s proposal, people who want gun control give up the 80 year old National Firearms Amendment, which means that they give up regulations on automatic weapons, explosive weapons, and suppressors. In exchange, gun fans get public access to NICS, and also our tax money to subsidize their hobby. Do you see where they are giving up anything?

I'm sorry, maybe you missed the part where people who like exercising their second amendment have been conceding parts of their right to bear arms since the mid 1930s. Since then, gun regulation has overwhelmingly moved toward limiting that right. People who don't like guns have something like 80 years of compromising to do.

E: you don't need to put my username into parentheses. I get that it probably makes you foam at the mouth with rage, but you're already there since we brought guns. There is no need for you to have an aneurism over this.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 15, 2015

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Fang posted:

That's not an equivalent scenario. It would work only if someone had posited that someone jumps out of the alley and beats your friend to the point of brain damage while you look on, helpless, crying. You're positing a negative outcome right along with the setup. Did you really think your scenario was a parallel to the open-ended question to which you were responding, or did you just want to tell that story?

I'm sorry but that's inherent to gun suicide, its abrupt, often unexpected and not something owning another gun can do anything about. I find it difficult to come up with any realistic story about gun-suicide where owning the gun is going to help though. If you have a suggestion, let me know.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JohnGalt posted:

I'm sorry, maybe you missed the part where people who like exercising their second amendment have been conceding parts of their right to bear arms since the mid 1930s. Since then, gun regulation has overwhelmingly moved toward limiting that right. People who don't like guns have something like 80 years of compromising to do.

Yes, I have noticed that the arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice. Why do you ask? It doesn't make your current proposal a "compromise."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JohnGalt posted:

I'm sorry
You should be, because apparently your ignore list is missing an entry.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Yes, I have noticed that the arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice. Why do you ask? It doesn't make your current proposal a "compromise."

Yeah, as long as its a long term effort, depriving people of constitutional rights is okay. Especially if it's roots are focused on keeping guns out of the hands of black people. Gotta keep those minorities in their place though.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You should be, because apparently your ignore list is missing an entry.

Let's compromise. You stop posting, surrender all your firearms safely to the local police department, and in exchange you will give me five dollars.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JohnGalt posted:

Yeah, as long as its a long term effort, depriving people of constitutional rights is okay. Especially if it's roots are focused on keeping guns out of the hands of black people. Gotta keep those minorities in their place though.

Whenever gunhavers make the halting, deer-standing-up-for-first-time attempt at accusing others of racism I always keep in mind that gun owning is the most systemically racist hobby subculture outside of the Klan.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Ddraig posted:

In a hypothetical world where all guns were removed, it would be impossible for a gun to be used to kill someone. In a hypothetical world where all elements responsible for bombs and arson were removed we would not be able to cook, clean or sustain life at all.

We don't have to hypothesize. That world existed for thousands of years and only recently became the one we know now. People managed to cook, clean, and sustain life just fine. They also didn't have guns, so there were no gun deaths. Life must have been pretty idyllic.

Ddraig posted:

there are many, many legitimate means why you may want to use elements in creating such things in other applications that don't involve making bombs or arson.

You don't get to decide what a legitimate use is. Ammonium and iodine don't care whether they're used to clean and disinfect or to create a bomb. There are legitimate uses for guns that don't involve killing humans, so why shouldn't those count? Conversely, if something is used in a non-lethal but "illegitimate" way 99.9% of the time, it makes legitimacy of use and design intent irrelevant.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I think Tezzor is destined to someday be a preeminent gunlord, with a vast arsenal, and do great things. Perhaps even smash the state with it.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Whenever gunhavers make the halting, deer-standing-up-for-first-time attempt at accusing others of racism I always keep in mind that gun owning is the most systemically racist hobby subculture outside of the Klan.

Sorry, I'm not white. The first step towards checking your priveledge is acknowledging that you don't trust people of the darker complexion with any kind of power.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Nope, it was the kid committing suicide. He was bullied at school we think, as a doc you don't get the whole story, the wife just had a (normal) minor depressive episode. The proportionally biggest victims of America's lack of gun regulation are children and women. As far as I know the dad and mom did not commit suicide.

Now my question to you becomes, should the evidence about the effectiveness of readily available fire-arms in preventing both your and my scenario's determine whether or not new gun regulations are enforced?

Wait I'm confused, did only the son commit suicide in the story? I kept seeing wife/son and wasn't sure if it was two suicides, or like an interchangeable person for the purposes of the thread.

#1 thing they did wrong was leaving the gun in a place where the kid has access to it. That poo poo goes in the safe when unattended specifically to avoid this type of thing and also theft. My state actually has a law making it illegal to leave a gun somewhere a minor could gain access to it. No idea how often it gets enforced or obeyed though. Also, why didn't he talk to his wife, or get her help for depression, or just lock up his gun?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I'm sorry but that's inherent to gun suicide, its abrupt, often unexpected and not something owning another gun can do anything about. I find it difficult to come up with any realistic story about gun-suicide where owning the gun is going to help though. If you have a suggestion, let me know.

I may have misinterpreted your scenario. The open-ended point where you're sitting in the car after a tragedy and have a gun? If so, I didn't even see that as open-ended because the possibility of committing suicide in that scenario didn't occur to me.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Tezzor posted:

You know those virulently anti-gay Republicans who get caught trying to pick up guys in a bathroom after years of railing against homosexuality? For some reason that popped into my head just now but I don't know why.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fang posted:

You know those virulently anti-gay Republicans who get caught trying to pick up guys in a bathroom after years of railing against homosexuality? For some reason that popped into my head just now but I don't know why.

Smells are known to be tied most strongly to memories.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JohnGalt posted:

Sorry, I'm not white. The first step towards checking your priveledge is acknowledging that you don't trust people of the darker complexion with any kind of power.

I have no idea what race you are. I would hope you are a white dude who is lying because the alternative is that I am face to face with our country's shameful failure to educate minorities and that would be very sad.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Stop using muscle memory to post.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

Funny you should mention that, since the origins of gun control in this country are rooted in keeping black people from having guns. Of course, don't let anything inconvenient like the facts stop you-- you never have before, after all~

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Fang posted:

No, I'm suggesting an easy solution that I believe will be effective.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I like this image of Tezzor sitting on a pile of guns like that ZerglingMinor picture. He is one of us, yet he must portray himself as the enemy, arguing against us, ridiculing us, and attacking us at every turn. We grow stronger, our arguments and gibe remarks hammered into razor edges. A tear comes to his eye, we hate him, but he is like a proud father watching over his children that will never know him.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Tezzor posted:

I was trying to archly imply that your accusations of racism stemmed from racist attitudes on your part. As evidence I offer your assertion that white people are smarter than minorities:

Tezzor posted:

I have no idea what race you are. I would hope you are a white dude who is lying because the alternative is that I am face to face with our country's shameful failure to educate minorities and that would be very sad.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

The gun being readily available to the child is not related to the gun being readily available to the adult who purchased and improperly stored it. Let's say guns needed to be registered and you had to pass a background check: then this dummy would just do all that and then leave the gun in the closet again. Let's say there was a law requiring all guns be locked in a safe when not in use or in transport: the kind of dumb-dumb who leaves unsecured guns around their house with children around is exactly the sort of dummy who would accidentally leave his safe unlocked, or accidentally leave the gun in his car or whatever.

The hypothetical you set up is a tragedy but no amount of regulation save preventing the gun from existing in the first place would have prevented it. Some kids die from heroin overdoses. Some kids die from drinking cleaning chemicals. Some kids die from ODing on Tylenol. In those other cases, and in the case with the gun, the most effective way to prevent kids from harm is talking to them, making sure they have the help they need, not trying to baby-proof the world they live in.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Bryter posted:

No, I'm suggesting an easy solution that I believe will be effective.

I get that about the guns. The part I don't understand is why you're not pushing solutions for arson and bombs beyond just practicing for what to do if someone sets a fire or sets off a bomb.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

-Troika- posted:

Funny you should mention that, since the origins of gun control in this country are rooted in keeping black people from having guns. Of course, don't let anything inconvenient like the facts stop you-- you never have before, after all~

Gun otaku often say that, but I'm not sure how much it is factually true and how much it of it is just a convenient thing to fit into their narrative. Whatever the case, the origins of the birth control movement in America were eugenicists attempting to exterminate the unfit. What matters isn't the origins of something, but rather if it is a good idea in its current form. More specifically, the fact that there were some explicitly racist gun control measures in the past does not make the statement "gun nuts are insane racists at levels far beyond the norm" an inaccurate statement.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

various cheeses posted:

Wait I'm confused, did only the son commit suicide in the story? I kept seeing wife/son and wasn't sure if it was two suicides, or like an interchangeable person for the purposes of the thread.

#1 thing they did wrong was leaving the gun in a place where the kid has access to it. That poo poo goes in the safe when unattended specifically to avoid this type of thing and also theft. My state actually has a law making it illegal to leave a gun somewhere a minor could gain access to it. No idea how often it gets enforced or obeyed though. Also, why didn't he talk to his wife, or get her help for depression, or just lock up his gun?

Yeah only the son committed suicide, the reason I posted wife/son is because in this case it could have easily been both of them. This was not to confuse you, but to illustrate how hard it is to identify those at risk as a parent / spouse. Nearly 30% of teenagers have had ideation's about suicide if i recall correctly. Similarly, every spouse of a depressed and suicidal person I've ever talked to was surprised. These are often not neglectful adults, its more a result of the hopelessness, the unwillingness to communicate your feelings and the fear of ridicule that are a part of depression/suicide.

re:#1, totally agree. That's why its should at the very minimum be mandatory to own a gun safe. The net result of the implementation of these verry simple and almost unenforced laws like the one in your state is a 8% reduction in suicide in 14-19 year olds alone. This parent probably felt more than responsible enough by keeping the ammo and weapon separate in hard to reach places. Even so, your wife will still be able to open a gun safe.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fang posted:

I was trying to archly imply that your accusations of racism stemmed from racist attitudes on your part. As evidence I offer your assertion that white people are smarter than minorities:

That is of course not at all what that post means. Gun fanboys can't even understand simple sentences given infinite time and optimal conditions and yet they expect us to allow them to make life or death decisions under pressure.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

various cheeses posted:

I like this image of Tezzor sitting on a pile of guns like that ZerglingMinor picture. He is one of us, yet he must portray himself as the enemy, arguing against us, ridiculing us, and attacking us at every turn. We grow stronger, our arguments and gibe remarks hammered into razor edges. A tear comes to his eye, we hate him, but he is like a proud father watching over his children that will never know him.

Picture the middle of the night bathroom scene in full metal jacket, only it ends with him putting the rifle back in the corner and sitting back down at his computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Killer robot posted:

The thing is it still really isn't comparable at all. There's no real ammunition equivalent to the difference between how much fertilizer you need as a casual gardener and how much you need to blow up a school. The amount of ammunition needed in a fairly short time frame to become or remain proficient with firearms is greater than you need for a mass shooting, and that's even if you're happy with a de facto ban on recreational target shooting. Even magazine size limits wouldn't make much difference in the nuts and bolts of mass shootings: when magazine size limits those it's more often because some comically oversized 100-round drum was unreliable and jammed, or even because someone grabbed a hold of it, rather than because reloading small ones made an opening. And that's just big mass shootings: a small box of ammo is more than enough for any other murdering you might care to do.

Ammo limits is a One Simple Trick type thing that's understandably popular in standup comedy routines, and would be a great Trump sound byte if there were still a lot of low-information anti-gun conservatives for him to be targeting, but it's not really sound policy.

You can purchase all the ammunition at the gun range that you want, but you have to either use it there or use it within a short timeframe. No legal ban on weapons will stop mass shootings at this point, but preventing people from stocking up or stocking up at the last second can at least things in the hands of FFLs. And I never made the dumb magazine comparisons and never will- they end the second the culprit reloads.

Also, in terms of ammunition needed for a mass shooting:

301 rounds of .233-caliber ammunition
116 rounds of .9mm ammunition
90 rounds of 10mm ammunition

That's roughly it.

• Locked thread