Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birb Katter posted:

This is real isn't it? :commissar:

What? Yes it is. For the agent, electricity company, whatever you can setup a direct payment from your benefit to wherever. It costs the person receiving $.99 a transaction.

So their argument will be the infrastructure exists already to accommodate this sort of thing.

What they won't realise or care is it'll allow for better targeted discrimination for those on centrelink in the rental market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
If I was Victorian I'd probably preference Muir second after the greens in the senate when he is next up. The guy has been one of the better senators.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I guess bitcoin sellers will still be happy to accept the healthy welfare card. Presumably you can't use it to buy things like shares that are easy to turn into cash?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

The easiest way around the welfare card is via those payday lenders who will let you set up a centrepay deduction with them under the category (loan repayment) and then they'll just hand you the cash every fortnight less their cut of 20% or whatever.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's even more obvious than buying shares.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yep and if no one is doing it I'm going to start.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Beets banking

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Beet give me 20% of your money and in return I'll provide

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm still shocked that no one seems to mind that Andrew Forest apparently wrote an unsolicited report on welfare reform and, despite him having absolutely no credibility and there being hundreds (thousands?) of actual welfare academics recommending the exact opposite, his is the one that gets taken seriously. I mean I know the government isn't really motivated by evidence, but they're not even pretending this time.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

open24hours posted:

I'm still shocked that no one seems to mind that Andrew Forest apparently wrote an unsolicited report on welfare reform and, despite him having absolutely no credibility and there being hundreds (thousands?) of actual welfare academics recommending the exact opposite, his is the one that gets taken seriously. I mean I know the government isn't really motivated by evidence, but they're not even pretending this time.

But he ran a business! He's not some ivory tower academic with no realworld experience, bud.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I just read it and apparently it was solicited. :psyduck:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I can only think that someone is benefiting financially from this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The real prize comes with converting native title to freehold, which the review also recommends.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Coles and woolies.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Beetphyxious posted:

The easiest way around the welfare card is via those payday lenders who will let you set up a centrepay deduction with them under the category (loan repayment) and then they'll just hand you the cash every fortnight less their cut of 20% or whatever.

All you need is to know someone who isn't on welfare who will pay you back for buying their groceries. Even if you don't, if you are that desperate for cash, let them pay you back 90c on the dollar or whatever.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Evidence? We don't need no steeeenken evidence!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/prime-minister-convenes-urgent-counter-terrorism/6855878

quote:

Prime Minister convenes urgent counter terrorism meeting to address violent extremism Thursday 15 October 2015 7:42AM (view full episode)

Police counter terrorism and intelligence chiefs will meet in Canberra later today in a bid to find new solutions to violent extremism. The Prime Minister has convened the urgent gathering, which will be led by the Counter Terrorism Coordinator, Greg Moriarty. The meeting comes as Federal Police confirmed a 12-year-old is among a group of radicalised young people suspected of helping a teenager murder a police employee in Sydney.

:siren:The AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin says although progress has been made to stop foreign fighters, the issue of terrorism is getting worse in Australia.:siren:

Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton oversees the Counter Terrorism Unit for the Victorian Police and he'll be attending the meeting with the Prime Minister and intelligence chiefs later today. Shane Patton joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

Well yes Andrew in complete opposition to any known fact let's, on the basis of SECRET, claim that terrorism (a complete non event in Australia) is getting worse.

We apparently consider the occasional human sacrifice is necessary to placate the gods of police adrenalin, and on the data it would appear that this is a much more significant danger than terrorism in Australia. Even better the moment you start to look at the terror emperor the more you start to notice that he has no clothes. Radicalisation is a school problem? Well from personal experience locking people in a room with a single Australian school teacher pretty much guarantees radicalisation but it does immediately beg the question about adequate school funding and the obvious failure of the chaplaincy program. BUT WAIT A MINUTE! LOOK! LOOK OVER THERE! Oh sorry it was only a suspected twelve year old terrorist.

More to the point once the critical abilities are applied to the problem the issues of Asylum seeker treatment and Middle East adventurism become utterly unavoidable. Whoops! Better keep banging the :siren:The AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin says although progress has been made to stop foreign fighters, the issue of terrorism is getting worse in Australia.:siren: It was so bad last night it made the sky cry! Really! The grass was wet and everything.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 15, 2015

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

All you need is to know someone who isn't on welfare who will pay you back for buying their groceries. Even if you don't, if you are that desperate for cash, let them pay you back 90c on the dollar or whatever.

Yes. Unless it's it's trialled across whole communities / whatever

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

What? Yes it is. For the agent, electricity company, whatever you can setup a direct payment from your benefit to wherever. It costs the person receiving $.99 a transaction.

So their argument will be the infrastructure exists already to accommodate this sort of thing.

What they won't realise or care is it'll allow for better targeted discrimination for those on centrelink in the rental market.

That won't work for people who have to pay site fees or pay electricity/gas to a middleman as is the situation in caravan parks. This is also the reason why the rebate system for those things is different for them. The amount would have to be checked because it literally varies from payment to payment. On the other hand those people do tend to pay their rent in person.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

That won't work for people who have to pay site fees or pay electricity/gas to a middleman as is the situation in caravan parks. This is also the reason why the rebate system for those things is different for them. The amount would have to be checked because it literally varies from payment to payment. On the other hand those people do tend to pay their rent in person.

Yes I'm sure there are multiple exceptions to any situation, what I'm saying is the response will be something along the lines of "there is existing infrastructure that can accommodate that" and then not do anything more about it because they don't have to.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Beetphyxious posted:

Yes. Unless it's it's trialled across whole communities / whatever

I can't imagine Twiggy putting support to the idea that rich people shouldn't be able to spend their own money.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cartoon posted:

The AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin says although progress has been made to stop foreign fighters

Except we keep sending are boys over there

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

There'll be an app for that.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

open24hours posted:

Are you kidding? Andrew Forrest and his companies have been recipients of govt welfare for years. He's an expert.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Negligent posted:

$1 spent on cat food is not $1 not spent on feeding the poor. Cat owners would find something else selfish and dumb to spend their money on

post pics of your donations to the poor tia.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There'll be an app for that.

There'll be a Facebook group for sure.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If I was Victorian I'd probably preference Muir second after the greens in the senate when he is next up. The guy has been one of the better senators.

I still can't decide whether it's depressing or heartening that you can basically literally just grab any old bloke off the street, make them a Senator, and they'll turn out to be a more decent, conscientious and fair-minded person than any member of Labour or the coalition.

edit - like, it suggests to me that all that malarkey about the Aussie "fair go" is at least somewhat true; that the average Australian (who is absolutely personified by a man like Muir) is a lot more left-wing and socially progressive than our parliament and our media would suggest.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It is true. The idea that the average Australian has an IQ of 1, dropped out in grade 2 and only cares about footy and beer is a lie perpetuated by the political class to entrench their power.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Counterpoint: Lambie

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

Counterpoint: Lambie

Even she's to the left of most of the Liberal Party despite her burka/islam insanity.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Politics is a turd with gold flakes in it.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The talking points of politicians in Australia aren't aimed at "the average Australian", they're aimed at swinging voters in really specific geographical locations. When you consider that the historically left-wing states of Vic, SA and Tas combined could only deliver 10 new seats at the absolute max to the Labor party at the next election, it's obvious that whoever wins will be decided by NSW and QLD. The parts of NSW and QLD that have the most marginal seats don't necessarily contain the best and brightest citizens of those states, and really it's the least informed voters in those seats (the ones that flip arbitrarily between parties) that decide elections. So I think that's why it seems like talking points are pandering to idiots.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Politics is a turd with gold flakes in it.

Anidav continues to be hopelessly optimistic.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

Yes I'm sure there are multiple exceptions to any situation, what I'm saying is the response will be something along the lines of "there is existing infrastructure that can accommodate that" and then not do anything more about it because they don't have to.

Obviously. These are the guys who thought Iraq was a good idea.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

Anidav continues to be hopelessly optimistic.

uh...maybe just a turd?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

I still can't decide whether it's depressing or heartening that you can basically literally just grab any old bloke off the street, make them a Senator, and they'll turn out to be a more decent, conscientious and fair-minded person than any member of Labour or the coalition.

I think many of the same people (i.e. Labor/Coalition) would vote differently if they weren't bound by their parties' power structures.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Unimpressed posted:

I think many of the same people (i.e. Labor/Coalition) would vote differently if they weren't bound by their parties' power structures.

That doesn't really ameliorate any of their responsibility for how they do vote though.

Anidav posted:

uh...maybe just a turd?

Yep.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/peter-dutton-rules-out-transferring-pregnant-asylum-seekers/6856708

If passed, he said the existence of a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights would not meet the threshold.

People will also be denied protection if they could "take reasonable steps" to modify their behaviour, unless that behaviour was "fundamental" to their identity.

Hey man you knew what you were getting yourself into when you criticised the government.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Preselecting people who toe the party line really subverts the idea that representatives are there in the best interests of their constituents.

You hear Lambie.etc going on about the people of Tasmania a lot. Those independents take their duty to actually care about people in their electorate more seriously and are beholden to them, not party whips.

The strength of party discipline in Australia re not crossing the floor is anomalous.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australia won't be blackmailed by pregnant asylum seekers: Dutton

Peter Dutton rules out transferring pregnant asylum seekers from Nauru to Australia

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has ruled out transferring a group of pregnant asylum seekers from Nauru to Australia, despite the women reportedly refusing medical treatment.

It is understood that seven pregnant asylum seekers are refusing medical treatment on the island as they urge the Turnbull Government to bring them to Australia.

Mr Dutton said Australia helped pay for refurbishments at the Nauru hospital but he would not agree to transfer the women, telling 2GB the Government would not "be taken for mugs".

"The racket that's been going here is that people at the margins come to Australia from Nauru," he said.

"We can't send them back to Nauru and there are over 200 people in that category."

Mr Dutton said the Government had provided $11 million for a hospital within the regional processing centre as well as $26 million to help refurbish the Nauruan hospital.

He said transfers to the international hospital in Papua New Guinea were also available if sufficient treatment on Nauru was not available.

"If people believe that they're going to somehow try to blackmail us into an outcome to come to Australia by saying we're not going to have medical assistance," he said.

"We're not going to bend to that pressure. I believe very strongly that we need to take a firm stance."

Ian Rintoul from the Refugee Action Coalition voiced concerns for the women, stating that Nauru was not equipped to deal with complicated births.

"One of the asylum seeker women due to give birth has a diabetic pregnancy that Nauru cannot safely manage," he said in a statement.

"Every birth is a potentially a life-threatening situation for mother and baby. When there are complications the risk is even higher.

"The onus is on the Government to provide proper medical care for a safe birth."

Mr Dutton's comments come a day after he introduced legislation to tighten requirements for asylum seekers applying for protection.

If passed, he said the existence of a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights would not meet the threshold.

People will also be denied protection if they could "take reasonable steps" to modify their behaviour, unless that behaviour was "fundamental" to their identity.

Comment has been sought from Opposition immigration spokesman Richard Marles and Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/peter-dutton-rules-out-transferring-pregnant-asylum-seekers/6856708

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Locked thread