Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Less of a u-joint and more of a driveline dampener.

I've owned 7 BMWs and never had to replace one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Both of my ACVWs have a big rubber puck like that that is between the steering column and the steering box. Similar?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DiggityDoink posted:

I thought you made up that word or misspelled something badly. Of course it's a BMW only thing.

Well, he did misspell it at least. It's giubo, in Italian "giu" sounds like "Jew"

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Its a flex-coupling. Dampens vibes and allows like 5-15 degrees of movement.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Both of my ACVWs have a big rubber puck like that that is between the steering column and the steering box. Similar?

Yeah but that version is called a rag joint because the original ones were actually thick layers of fabric/leather to dampen vibrations and give a little bit of play.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Why is everyone hating on the Guibo? I've always seen it as a fuse of sorts in the driveshaft and think it's pretty clever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

Why is everyone hating on the Guibo? I've always seen it as a fuse of sorts in the driveshaft and think it's pretty clever.

If you want more power they're probably not good but besides that I've never really seen the problem either.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

If you want more power they're probably not good but besides that I've never really seen the problem either.

Yeah, they're pretty similar to the dampers between the sprocket and wheel in a bunch of motorcycles.

Same deal, reduces shock loading and provides a bit of damping.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah, he was feeling a bunch of odd vibration while accelerating but not while at a set cruise speed. Ergo, the giant rag joint driveshaft coupling was probably the culprit. We got it swapped out and poof, vibration gone. But being a BMW it went about as well as this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kS8qrFiCE

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least BMW doesn't use goddamn torx or hex bolts to fasten the DS to the diff or transmission. Whomever thought of that needs to die. (gently caress you, Honda)

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

8ender posted:

I wasn't necessarily hating on it, it just seems kinda pointless other than to reduce NVH, which will almost by definition, kill power.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Once it's compressed, it's compressed. You'll likely have a few ms of delay when you hit the throttle, but I don't see how it 'kills power.'

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's a spongy link in the drivetrain, vibrations that would otherwise get transmitted to the ground get converted to heat. Yes, some of that is lost power. Engines don't put out perfectly smooth torque, it comes in pulses; that soft joint is going to soak some of that up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And if it was any statistically significant percentage of the output of the engine the rubber block would be on fire in a matter of seconds.

Remember, we're talking about putting 150+ kilowatts through this link (200hp.) Even 1% of that is roughly what a 100 amp 110V arc welder puts into a piece of metal stock... continuously.

Does it absorb some power? Yeah. Any significant amount? Hell no, it's practically a rounding error.

I don't want giubos in my driveline, but power loss isn't the reason, it's because they can't handle as high an angle as U-joints, aren't as high strength, and wear out faster. They probably are easier to service, however, at least if put in a tall 4wd chassis instead of over a million heatshields and exhaust systems in a low car.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

fakeaccount posted:

what the gently caress is a guibo?

Its an italian man whose D is grown the wrong way

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DiggityDoink posted:

I wasn't necessarily hating on it, it just seems kinda pointless other than to reduce NVH, which will almost by definition, kill power.

Alright, let's see your solid engine mounts, transmission mounts, diff mounts, subframe mounts, etc in your street car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There's no way it is 'killing power' in any significant manner.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

I don't want giubos in my driveline, but power loss isn't the reason, it's because they can't handle as high an angle as U-joints, aren't as high strength, and wear out faster. They probably are easier to service, however, at least if put in a tall 4wd chassis instead of over a million heatshields and exhaust systems in a low car.

On for example my e46 the driveshaft passes through the guibo with what I want to call a slip joint? Total failure mode means no transmission of power but the shaft stays in place.

What in getting at is no angle. The only place I've seen them at an angle is goodbye turtles hillman imp, but they were like 2" :3:

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Lotus used them in their early racing cars and some road models as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=lotus+rubber+donuts&biw=1412&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIoZSp39PCyAIVhyemCh1zYQrS

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

Helped my buddy change out the giubo on his BMW 318ci this weekend and it was a nightmare hellscape of destroyed rubber and fibers and weird polymers:

Ohh... Oh! I know them as an elastic coupling or a donut. The Niva has one of those between the transmission and transfer case.

Here's someone's video of one failing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylJfmLfDqXE

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
From what I've read, guibos aren't designed to handle the flex involved in driveshaft misalignment, so they're not a real alternative to a u-joint. Ireland Engineering uses machined metal dummy guibos to test-fit the drivetrain alignment, then swap it out for a rubber one.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

meatpotato posted:

From what I've read, guibos aren't designed to handle the flex involved in driveshaft misalignment, so they're not a real alternative to a u-joint. Ireland Engineering uses machined metal dummy guibos to test-fit the drivetrain alignment, then swap it out for a rubber one.

Modern BMWs don't need a whole lot of capability to deal with changing angles in their driveshafts. Since they have independent rear suspension, and the rear diff is mounted to a subframe, any changes in driveshaft angles are quite small. In fact, the front section of the driveshaft, from the output flange to the center support bearing, should not have any movement or angles involved beyond the flexing from the motor/transmission mounts.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

meatpotato posted:

From what I've read, guibos aren't designed to handle the flex involved in driveshaft misalignment, so they're not a real alternative to a u-joint.

True. I think they are more for connecting two separate things which are intended to rotate on the same axis.
The most common way I've read of aligning the Niva TC with the transmission is to put the TC in neutral and loosen the mounts, get the engine spinning at a few thousand RPM so the donut is going nice and fast, and tighten the mounts back up. Can't speak for others but I find that a touch unsettling.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Friend posted this broken flywheel on FB.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's some weird galling on that bottom bolt hole

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Holden/Pontiac use them on their transmission to driveshaft coupling as well.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
The beginnings of a horrible failure. The gasket is bad enough that it hydro-locked the motor after it is shut off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZ3cVzX3hE

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

Yeah, he was feeling a bunch of odd vibration while accelerating but not while at a set cruise speed. Ergo, the giant rag joint driveshaft coupling was probably the culprit. We got it swapped out and poof, vibration gone. But being a BMW it went about as well as this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kS8qrFiCE

That video is the classic case of trying to take a shortcut and spending more time than if you'd just done the drat job properly and removed the center exhaust section in the first place. Then you can get the heatshield out of the way and have as much room as you're going to get under there.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah, that's what we ended up doing, specifically because of seeing that video prior to starting the job.

E: there was still a ton of swearing at that whore of a car, even with the exhaust dropped.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

BlackMK4 posted:

At least BMW doesn't use goddamn torx or hex bolts to fasten the DS to the diff or transmission. Whomever thought of that needs to die. (gently caress you, Honda)

Torx is awesome, only triple-square is better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Torx is awesome, only triple-square is better.

torx would be ok if there weren't 30,000 variations with security torx, torx plus which sould mean either larger nodes or 5 points

The bolts that hold the box in in ford trucks are T55 torx plus, which is an expensive enough bit, but you're bound to snap at least 2 bits pulling those bitches out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

torx would be ok if there weren't 30,000 variations with security torx, torx plus which sould mean either larger nodes or 5 points

The bolts that hold the box in in ford trucks are T55 torx plus, which is an expensive enough bit, but you're bound to snap at least 2 bits pulling those bitches out.

Hahahaha, if you can get them out without cutting them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Do you see?

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

If they're tight enough I can't get them out with a regular 1/2 ratchet I grind the goddamn head off and install all new hardware afterwards. Cheap on rockauto and totally not worth screwing around with.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

14 INCH DICK posted:

Do you see?

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

I'm scared of that thing. Why the gently caress does it have 8 ports?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

14 INCH DICK posted:

Do you see?

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

:stare: ahahaha, all of a sudden that 10 year old $20k Quattroporte on CL doesn't seem like such a good idea. What the gently caress is this poo poo

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dannywilson posted:

I'm scared of that thing. Why the gently caress does it have 8 portsbreeding chambers?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

14 INCH DICK posted:

Do you see?

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

That water pump had better be a miniature V6 in it's own right. :catstare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

14 INCH DICK posted:

Do you see?

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

We won't need eyes where we're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

Do you see?

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

Seeing stuff like this makes me wonder why people are always eyerolling at german engineering when the italians do it so much loving worse.

Also it probably has something to do with being a ferrari engine.