Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Voyager I posted:

Sure, I'm just afraid it's going to end up like their procedurally generated galaxy; a functionally infinite number of systems to do the same handful of activities in with the occasional odious travel time.

Given that that is pretty much what I was anticipating when I chipped in towards a new game in the Elite series, I'm looking forward to it it. Any further development along the way will just be a cheery on top. As evidenced by Goons willingly cruising out to the middle of nowhere to honk their horns into the void, I think that that aspect of Elite appeals at least somewhat to more than just myself.

I think your concern is a valid concern in gaming, I just think Elite isn't the type of game that'll swerve to miss those obstacles - nor should it be, necessarily. If it can just fold more activities into the expanse along the way, then that's great. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Driving around a space mountain with low gravity for no reason is extremely my poo poo.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If canyons turn out to be deep enough, I would like to organise a space race through one and some other terrain features come Horizons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They were saying some of them were kilometers wide, I reckon they'll be deep enough.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Land a bunch of ships in a box to make the First Frog Destruction Derby. Get your space trucker tailgate on.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That loving planetary livestream is actually looking really awesome. Holy poo poo.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AndroidHub posted:

For me season 2/horizons/1.5 isn't really about the planetary landing, it's about basically everything else, cool ships, more modules, more/better missions, multicrew, character customization, etc. planetary landing is just icing on the cake.

Pretty much my take on things as well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mining in a nutshell.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Shine posted:

Driving around a space mountain with low gravity for no reason is extremely my poo poo.

Now add 12 goons racing on a canyon :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man, honest trading isnt that profitable. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
1) Where can I find C3 multicannons? Trying dual C3 beams and...ehh.
2) Which system's great for RESing that's near Katmandu? Or really, any system with RES happening at all? Nav points and combat zones don't come close to the credits per hour even smuggling gets me.

3) Sheesh interdiction just sucks all over. Takes forever to try to break out of, if you submit and fight you get a whole 400 credits and it probably threw you far off course.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

Now add 12 goons racing on a canyon :getin:

That sounds like it'll go about as well as the Rise of Flight goon Gotha race.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Zaardvark posted:

*edit* Whoops, it would have been better for me to post this in the PGS thread instead. Just me talking about the best ship to use as a long-distance smuggler.

For those interested in Sothis runs, I'm going to echo earlier sentiments that a Cobra is probably best suited for long-distance smuggling, even moreso than something like a DBE. Most ships (like the DBE) that get really good jump distances are somewhat lacking in internal slots, but the Cobra can get a cargo capacity of up to 40 tons, which is pretty good for a ship that can also get a jump distance of around 24 LY. I've now done the run with a DBE and a FAS, the latter of which was horrible and I never want to do that again. Go forth and GIT PAID.
I've been using an Asp for Sothis runs. Fuel tank in the C6 slot so I don't have to bother with scooping and shave some time off each run.

AndroidHub posted:

For me season 2/horizons/1.5 isn't really about the planetary landing, it's about basically everything else, cool ships, more modules, more/better missions, multicrew, character customization, etc. planetary landing is just icing on the cake.

But the mile wide inch deep criticism is well deserved by the game, and it will probably always be there for some people.
This is 100% exactly how I feel. Even after Horizons, Elite will still probably be a game where you'll experience everything gameplay wise after the first hour or two, and how much you play after is dependant on how much you enjoy the core gameplay itself.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Nowhere because they don't exist (multicannons are C1 and C2 only).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

2) Which system's great for RESing that's near Katmandu? Or really, any system with RES happening at all? Nav points and combat zones don't come close to the credits per hour even smuggling gets me.

1) They don't exist :(. There are C3 canons and flak canons, but not multi.

2) Dunno about Katmandu specifically, but in general look for Hazardous RES' or High Intensity. Sometimes it's slow going and then hooray 3 Anacondas and 6 Pythons just jumped in. You can easily rake in the millions once a RES picks up.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alehkhs posted:

Given that that is pretty much what I was anticipating when I chipped in towards a new game in the Elite series, I'm looking forward to it it. Any further development along the way will just be a cheery on top. As evidenced by Goons willingly cruising out to the middle of nowhere to honk their horns into the void, I think that that aspect of Elite appeals at least somewhat to more than just myself.

I think your concern is a valid concern in gaming, I just think Elite isn't the type of game that'll swerve to miss those obstacles - nor should it be, necessarily. If it can just fold more activities into the expanse along the way, then that's great. v:shobon:v

I'm glad you're having fun exploring, but the reality is Elite has excellent core gameplay being squandered by a shameful paucity of supporting systems. Loadout choices are fairly shallow, and most combat boils down to milling about at one nav point or another poking away at a stream of mixed respawning NPCs. There hasn't been a good space fighter released in ages and this game has the fundamentals to be fantastic, but apparently no will to do so.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this game just needs way better mission structure and tons more ships. Also cooler signal sources and salvage stuff. All of which Frontier has said is on the way? I just wish that these had been the focus way earlier

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Voyager I posted:

I'm glad you're having fun exploring, but the reality is Elite has excellent core gameplay being squandered by a shameful paucity of supporting systems. Loadout choices are fairly shallow, and most combat boils down to milling about at one nav point or another poking away at a stream of mixed respawning NPCs. There hasn't been a good space fighter released in ages and this game has the fundamentals to be fantastic, but apparently no will to do so.

You get that your opinion, while valid, might not be universal.

Right?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

A thing of beauty. :clint:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

1) They don't exist :(. There are C3 canons and flak canons, but not multi.

2) Dunno about Katmandu specifically, but in general look for Hazardous RES' or High Intensity. Sometimes it's slow going and then hooray 3 Anacondas and 6 Pythons just jumped in. You can easily rake in the millions once a RES picks up.

1) Argh
2) Right I know, I mean I literally can't find any, so I guess I just have to jump system to system until I find something happening?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No he's right about the core gameplay being good. Frontier just needs to focus more on adding stuff to do and diversifying possible goals and gameplay styles. I think they're working toward that, too. Whenever they set a goal or promise they deliver. CQC is good fun and even if you don't buy horizons you'll more than likely have access to the new ships and be able to play in their hopefully redone missions. Power play is just a disappointment personally because it seems poorly thought out and personally not fun.

E: but hey I never ever have to engage in power play either!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

These sothis runs are great except for the part where it's taking multiple minutes to exit witchspace at every jump.

I don't think the game likes me carrying all these smuggling missions.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Shine posted:

Mining in a nutshell.

Look at this. This is poetry in motion. Truly the zenith of humanity.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I want to point out something I noticed during the stream.

Someone asked about liquid water, and the gentleman on the left said
"water requires an atmosphere so is out for two point zero"
He specified "2.0" which confirms (for me, anyway) that atmospheric planets are coming in season 2, just not on release. Taken with that picture Braben posted of him in a Vulture over a green world where you can see some nice real-deal-and-scale details much closer than you currently can, we're getting atmos in 2016 :getin:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

KakerMix posted:

I want to point out something I noticed during the stream.

Someone asked about liquid water, and the gentleman on the left said
"water requires an atmosphere so is out for two point zero"
He specified "2.0" which confirms (for me, anyway) that atmospheric planets are coming in season 2, just not on release. Taken with that picture Braben posted of him in a Vulture over a green world where you can see some nice real-deal-and-scale details much closer than you currently can, we're getting atmos in 2016 :getin:

Better pull the brakes on your hype-train there:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172167&page=65&p=2640469#post2640469

Michael Brookes posted:

Eera posted:

So that it, Frontier will be on Mars before the NASA !
Maybe - but Mars has an atmosphere so isn't landable in Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172167&page=66&p=2640554&viewfull=1#post2640554

Michael Brookes posted:

Mephane posted:

Do you mean initially, or does that mean that planetary landing won't be expanded to planets with atmospheres, and then life and civilization, within the scope of the season?
Not within the season - planets with life and atmospheres are further down the line.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to name my ship

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

No he's right about the core gameplay being good. Frontier just needs to focus more on adding stuff to do and diversifying possible goals and gameplay styles. I think they're working toward that, too. Whenever they set a goal or promise they deliver. CQC is good fun and even if you don't buy horizons you'll more than likely have access to the new ships and be able to play in their hopefully redone missions. Power play is just a disappointment personally because it seems poorly thought out and personally not fun.

E: but hey I never ever have to engage in power play either!

No I get it, but I don't think Elite is ever going to scratch that super involved hand-crafted itch. I think that was more Star Citizen's thing and it's a shame that who mess is going down in flames because as originally pitched I think it could have found success. Elite is always going to lean heavily on procedural generation because that's pretty much the premise of the game.

frank.club posted:

Oh my god, yes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So any suggestions on smuggling and not getting caught?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Don't fly near any green ships?

If you're landing on an outside platform that's literally all you have to do, and often there aren't even any cops.

If you're going inside something, stay at whatever range you jumped in, move up down sideways to line up with the hole, go in engines 4 and boosting, request docking exactly at 7.5 so you can have your face there

Many times I get scanned as I'm going in but the scan stops once you make it inside. Basically fuckin around near the entrance is where they will get you.

e: and even if they do the fine for a missing netting you 200k+ is like 10k so lol

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 15, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm going to be extremely up front with you getting caught is really a non issue. Just don't pay the fines!

In a serious answer though you can use silent running, which isn't totally bullet proof. If someone sees you they can scan you (within a range). Alternatively you can buy heat sink launchers and fire them off while running cold (turning off non essential modules) at 0% heat you're essentially a space rock. I've never been scanned when doing the latter

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I notice that there's a paintjob option in outfitting but it never seems to work. What's up with that?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

So I notice that there's a paintjob option in outfitting but it never seems to work. What's up with that?

Gotta buy it!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Alehkhs posted:

Better pull the brakes on your hype-train there:

Brookes has been wrong about things before :colbert:
Before this the only thing I heard was when Braben said specifically that planets with life is a separate expansion.

I'm still counting on atmospheres hitting with Horizons. Just not life.

EDIT
Also on the stream they were asked about volcanicism and also specificed that it was coming, but not in 'two point zero'

Double Edit:
Mars is also a terraformed populated planet. I don't think we'll ever be landing on Earth -or- Mars because of that.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 15, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

frank.club posted:

I'm going to be extremely up front with you getting caught is really a non issue. Just don't pay the fines!

In a serious answer though you can use silent running, which isn't totally bullet proof. If someone sees you they can scan you (within a range). Alternatively you can buy heat sink launchers and fire them off while running cold (turning off non essential modules) at 0% heat you're essentially a space rock. I've never been scanned when doing the latter

I got scanned with 40 tons of illigal goods in my hold and only got an 80k fine for what was, all tallied up, a 25 million credit payday.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone managed to get the pinky trigger on an x52 to work when setting up keybinds in Elite? It doesn't seem to register when I try to bind pinky + other key.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

frank.club posted:

How many people will be flying about in the USS Enterprise (USS BoobyPrize, USS Don't Care much)
or the Millenium Falcon,
Or the Hogwarts Express - well Harry does speak snake :P

will just make for a complicated ui update - i mean a fleet of ships all called "GOON Swarm" (quick everyone leave the system.)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reason posted:

Has anyone managed to get the pinky trigger on an x52 to work when setting up keybinds in Elite? It doesn't seem to register when I try to bind pinky + other key.

You have to go into your Saitek Profiler software and delete all of the extra modes beyond Mode 1, 2, and 3. Then you unbind the pinky switch in that software by right-clicking it and selecting "unassigned", and save the modified profile as something recognizable (e.g. Elite.pr0). Once that's done, load that profile when you plug your stick in and it should allow you to bind the pinky switch properly. The profiler uses the pinky switch as a modifier for Mode switching so Elite won't see it properly unless you do that.

E: It sounds complex as gently caress but in practice it takes 5 seconds.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 15, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Re: multi-cannons

The best that Land of Avirl offers is F2. Screw that. Anyone got a lead on C2?

I can see why people are running double laser, just really unimpressed with the performance when shields are down.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

You have to go into your Saitek Profiler software and delete all of the extra modes beyond Mode 1, 2, and 3. Then you unbind the pinky switch in that software by right-clicking it and selecting "unassigned", and save the modified profile as something recognizable (e.g. Elite.pr0). Once that's done, load that profile when you plug your stick in and it should allow you to bind the pinky switch properly. The profiler uses the pinky switch as a modifier for Mode switching so Elite won't see it properly unless you do that.

E: It sounds complex as gently caress but in practice it takes 5 seconds.

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Re: multi-cannons

The best that Land of Avirl offers is F2. Screw that. Anyone got a lead on C2?

I can see why people are running double laser, just really unimpressed with the performance when shields are down.

F2 is correct. When people say "C[X]" they are usually referring to "Class."

• Locked thread