Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

People will also be denied protection if they could "take reasonable steps" to modify their behaviour, unless that behaviour was "fundamental" to their identity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/peter-dutton-rules-out-transferring-pregnant-asylum-seekers/6856708

Despite all the horrible poo poo highlighted, :wtc: does this even mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dutton calling getting pregnant "blackmail" on the radio. :barf:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Labor have interpreted the preferred PM numbers and now think that if they keep repeating the phrase Cayman Islands people will warm up to the idea that Malcolm Turnbull is too rich, Bill Shorten is one of us.

Because you know, Shorten has so much in common with ordinary Australians that his mother in law was the Governor General.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can we have more Dutton memes

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Remember that face for the crimes against humanity trials.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
edit: wrong thread

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zenithe posted:

It means stop being a persecuted minority

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Dutton calling getting pregnant "blackmail" on the radio. :barf:

You know who else regarded children and pregnant women as viral dangers? Yeah.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Carmichael coal mine has been re-approved. Isn't that the mine all the backing fell out of?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah but the front didn't fall off

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Eight years ago James Bowen was an unemployed, recovering drug addict, who was staying in sheltered accommodation and supplementing his state benefits by busking and selling a magazine whose profits go to its homeless vendors. But things changed dramatically after he took in an injured stray ginger tom cat. James' books about Bob the Street Cat have sold millions of copies, a film about them is being made and James now promotes animal welfare. He's been speaking to Weekend's Julian Worricker - appropriately on the streets of London - who asked him how Bob had changed his life?

:catdrugs:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Mr Dutton's comments come a day after he introduced legislation to tighten requirements for asylum seekers applying for protection.

If passed, he said the existence of a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights would not meet the threshold.

People will also be denied protection if they could "take reasonable steps" to modify their behaviour, unless that behaviour was "fundamental" to their identity.

'stop being gay/muslim/female'

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Negligent posted:

Labor have interpreted the preferred PM numbers and now think that if they keep repeating the phrase Cayman Islands people will warm up to the idea that Malcolm Turnbull is too rich, Bill Shorten is one of us.

Because you know, Shorten has so much in common with ordinary Australians that his mother in law was the Governor General.

claiming you're going to be hard on corporate tax evaders is pretty difficult when you've got your assets in an offshore tax haven and want to stop public reporting of companies.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

If passed, he said the existence of a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights would not meet the threshold.

You know which other country has a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

claiming you're going to be hard on corporate tax evaders is pretty difficult when you've got your assets in an offshore tax haven and want to stop public reporting of companies.
Well yes if that was the actually the case rather than an ALP straw man argument.

1. If you are a minister you should have your assets held at arms length. It is generally not a good idea to have an interest in the companies you regulate, such as Telstra.

2. A large number of Australian super funds are also invested in Caymans registered funds. Including Bill Shorten's. Turnbull paid Australian tax on the investments.

3. How often do members of the public read the reports of mid sized privately owned businesses? Almost never. You know who does? Their rivals and competitors.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

freebooter posted:

You know which other country has a consistent pattern of mass violation of human rights

is it antarctica?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

3. How often do members of the public read the reports of mid sized privately owned businesses? Almost never. You know who does? Their rivals and competitors.
Also kidnappers, who use annual reports to choose their targets.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also kidnappers, who use annual reports to choose their targets.

why do they call them kidnapers when theyre adults?

what abot...manburglars

as in, 'my god, theyve manburgled obama!'

e: to be gender equal, one would say, 'in the name of aphrodite, hilary clinton has been femlifted!'

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 15, 2015

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mr Dutton's comments come a day after he introduced legislation to tighten

Dutton has the air of someone unaware that their trip of a lifetime is in fact to the abattoir.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also Greg hunt has announced the federal governments 185 year plan for Melbourne lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also Greg hunt has announced the federal governments 185 year plan for Melbourne lol

Sink by 2100 under runaway climate change?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

Nah just build a couple roads she'll be right

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Funny you mention that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/antarctic-ice-shelf-sea-level-rise-warning/6853780

quote:

Antarctic ice shelf collapse and unstoppable sea level rise 'very likely' without tough climate action, say scientists ABC Science By Anna Salleh Updated about 4 hours ago

Warming of 1.5 to 2 degrees Celsius above current levels could lead to "unstoppable" sea level rise that would last for thousands of years, according to a new model of Antarctic ice sheets.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nah just build a couple roads she'll be right

sky roads....

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

Be more white, wealthy and Christian. Everyone knows WASPs are the REALLY persecuted ones because they're constantly surrounded by icky brown poors with strange foreign religions who keep popping out babies they can't afford. All this complaining about human rights is just emotional blackmail and the UN undermining our democracy, just like climate change.

(Note: The above is a satirical exposition of Liberal Party thought and does not reflect the views of the poster.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nauru's Police Force is facing fresh scrutiny after it emerged that a man convicted of rape was allowed to join the police reserves.

Nauru: alleged rape victim may be charged with false complaint

welp.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Nauru's Police Force is facing fresh scrutiny after it emerged that a man convicted of rape was allowed to join the police reserves.

Nauru: alleged rape victim may be charged with false complaint

welp.

:nauru: (crying pile of phosphate.gif)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

:nauru: (crying pile of phosphate.gif)

(crying rape victim gif)

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Dutton refuses to be blackmailed by compassion, human rights.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Go ahead, decline medical treatment.

It's your body, and unborn child.

Not a game of chicken that I'd be playing with Peter Dutton at the wheel but whatever.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Unimpressed posted:

I think many of the same people (i.e. Labor/Coalition) would vote differently if they weren't bound by their parties' power structures.

They aren't.

Nothing at all in Australian law requires them to vote with party policy they think is evil. Nothing in Australian law requires them to vote in line with any party policy.

All they potentially lose is the little [liberal] or [labor] tag next to their name at the next election, which makes it unlikely they'll keep their job.

Everyone who votes for awful poo poo like our indefinite detention island prison camps for children is doing so because they don't think it is evil, or even worse they know it is evil and vote for it for their paycheck .

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

They aren't.

Nothing at all in Australian law requires them to vote with party policy they think is evil. Nothing in Australian law requires them to vote in line with any party policy.

All they potentially lose is the little [liberal] or [labor] tag next to their name at the next election, which makes it unlikely they'll keep their job.

Everyone who votes for awful poo poo like our indefinite detention island prison camps for children is doing so because they don't think it is evil, or even worse they know it is evil and vote for it for their paycheck .

Surely you don't seriously believe this. I mean, it's at least possible that some of them think it's bad but that it's better than other alternatives (as they see it).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

witty

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Surely you don't seriously believe this. I mean, it's at least possible that some of them think it's bad but that it's better than other alternatives (as they see it).

Isn't that just rationalizing it? There are many impossible moral dilemmas to be sure, but at the end of the day if there is no sufficient consequence for voting along party lines then its the line of least resistance. It takes an uncommon person to take that risk of losing their position on a moral choice and by then they're just as prone to the sunk cost fallacy as anyone. No one in a marginal seat will dare try it, few in non-marginal seats have to worry about it (because that's why they got preselected there). The system self-selects who is going to play the game in other words.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why are Australian politicians so uptight about voting along party lines compared to the UK, US, etc?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Channel 9 Qanda For Fuckwits is on, don't watch the thing

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why are Australian politicians so uptight about voting along party lines compared to the UK, US, etc?

Because Australians learned early on the power of solidarity, particularly the labour movement. The tories just followed suit really.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bit of history.
ABC 7pm news report from 45 years ago today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR8eYevYcg8
A section of the Westgate bridge collapsed while under construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

For some reason I interpreted that as ABC new reporting on a section of the West Gate bridge collapsing 45 minutes ago. Maybe I should sleep.

In the Melbourne World Trade Centre there used to be a small exhibit on the collapse on the mezzanine level. I'm not sure if it's still there as it was 4+ years ago. It was something I never knew about until I saw the exhibit.

• Locked thread