Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

since you thought nhk was really good, you can try tatami galaxy. no dub though

for dub shows, i would recommend baccano and durarara. durarara is on cr, and i think baccano is on netflix

Worth bearing in mind that the Durarara dub is, as far as I know, only on US/Canadian Crunchyroll. Dunno about Australia, but while the show's on UK Crunchyroll, the dub isn't. As for Baccano, I don't think it's available anywhere on Netflix. Hulu and Funimation have it though, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Doubling down on Durarara and Baccano. They're awesome. Dubs are super good too.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember if I posted here already.
zankyou no terror

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nosam0819 posted:

I don't remember if I posted here already.
zankyou no terror

There are better things of the same type. This season's Perfect Insider might end up being one of them.

I really wish that show went better than it did. The staff was perfect, and it started off so well...

rvm
May 6, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

There are better things of the same type. This season's Perfect Insider might end up being one of them.

I really wish that show went better than it did. The staff was perfect, and it started off so well...

While it's based on the actual non-light novel and the art style is neat, 20 minutes of exposition doesn't make a very good first episode.

Speaking of mystery anime, I'd recommend Kindaichi's Case Files (and its sequel R), especially if you're into classic detective fiction and can tolerate 90s anime art style and cheese. (One of the first arcs features Jason from Friday the 13th in "Then There Were None"-ish setting.) Not every arc is great, but highs are pretty high while lows aren't that low and easy to skip since the show has no continuity to speak of. If you liked "mystery" arc in Haruhi, chances are, you'll enjoy this one.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What are some good normie animes?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mabels big day posted:

One-Punch Man

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mabels big day posted:

you're not making sense man

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mabels big day posted:

oxymoron

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Colonel posted:

One-Punch Man

Already watching it. I guess I'll say some of what else ive seen and thought was good. Trigun, JoJo, Space Dandy, HxH, samurai champloo, tiger and bunny, devil is a part-timer (it was dubbed so it's normie-approved). Funny action stuff, and I don't know if I like giant robot anime, it never appealed to me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

just look at top rated shonen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Try watching G Gundam, I guess.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The first half of Kekkai Sensen. The second half is all downhill.

And Attack on Titan if you somehow lived in a whole for a few years. Not exactly "funny" action, but it was probably the most popular anime in the west in years and definitely delivers in the action department.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

mabels big day posted:

Already watching it. I guess I'll say some of what else ive seen and thought was good. Trigun, JoJo, Space Dandy, HxH, samurai champloo, tiger and bunny, devil is a part-timer (it was dubbed so it's normie-approved). Funny action stuff, and I don't know if I like giant robot anime, it never appealed to me.

If you don't know if you like giant robot anime, then take the TTGL test

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yo, what's this thread cool expert opinion on Gungrave?

I gave Trigun a try, first episode didn't really convince me, but I might return to it... Also discovered Gungrave, though. There's "Gun" in the title. I think there's zombies. That's the total extent of my knowledge.
Worth 26 episodes?

rvm
May 6, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Yo, what's this thread cool expert opinion on Gungrave?

I gave Trigun a try, first episode didn't really convince me, but I might return to it... Also discovered Gungrave, though. There's "Gun" in the title. I think there's zombies. That's the total extent of my knowledge.
Worth 26 episodes?

It's great, just not in a way you might expect (though in that way, too, eventually).

It's one of the few shows that I would blindly recommend to just about anyone.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Gungrave is an amazing story with one of the dumbest storytelling gimmicks I have ever seen, because it had to tie into a video game (which I've never seen or played, not that it matters) but as far as I can tell actually has almost nothing to do with the game's setting.

It's still really good though!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Doesn't gungrave radically change after the first episode?

Trigun's first couple episodes have some good bits but are by far the weakest part of the series (which is to say, it gets much better)

Funny coincidence, Gungrave and Trigun are by the same author, aren't they?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Doesn't gungrave radically change after the first episode?

Trigun's first couple episodes have some good bits but are by far the weakest part of the series (which is to say, it gets much better)

Funny coincidence, Gungrave and Trigun are by the same author, aren't they?

AFAIK Nightow only did the character design on the game, but wasn't involved in the story.

The first episode of Gungrave is a flash-forward to late in the series and makes it look like a shooty action kind of show (just as expected if you know the game). What it really is is a pretty drat great crime drama where the action and scifi bits are by far the weakest parts, but are still used well enough to not drag it down. Definitely give this one a three-episode test at least, ep1 really misrepresents what this show is about (in fact, it gets repeated almost unchanged later in the series so you might even just skip it without missing anything).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i really liked the trigun anime, and i've been reading the manga, which is also good. i'm interested to see how the manga goes without the anime ending.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
All of you should go watch Zegapain. Preferably knowing as little as possible. It's a mecha series, but the focus isn't on the mecha or action so don't treat it as one.

Zegapain is loving fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough for anybody who wants to watch a sci-fi show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fezball posted:

AFAIK Nightow only did the character design on the game, but wasn't involved in the story.

The first episode of Gungrave is a flash-forward to late in the series and makes it look like a shooty action kind of show (just as expected if you know the game). What it really is is a pretty drat great crime drama where the action and scifi bits are by far the weakest parts, but are still used well enough to not drag it down. Definitely give this one a three-episode test at least, ep1 really misrepresents what this show is about (in fact, it gets repeated almost unchanged later in the series so you might even just skip it without missing anything).

I'd say actually give it five episodes. It jumps several years between multi-episode arcs through different points in Brandon's life (leading up to the events in the first episode and chronologically beyond it) and it'll either grab you or not at the end of the first little arc.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mabels big day posted:

i really liked the trigun anime, and i've been reading the manga, which is also good. i'm interested to see how the manga goes without the anime ending.

It's very different, and I love it. And I love the show too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gungrave is tough because the flashback stuff is great but everything dealing with the original games events is awful.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Gungrave is tough because the flashback stuff is great but everything dealing with the original games events is awful.

True, but at least the people making it were aware of that - they only use half the game's story to begin with (the later half of it gets really weird), and even that is compressed into like 3 episodes worth of time that they very obviously try to be done with as quickly as possible to get back to the good part.

So it may seem like the show goes off track in the second half, but they turn it around soon after that and the final episodes are really really worth it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reds posted:

All of you should go watch Zegapain. Preferably knowing as little as possible. It's a mecha series, but the focus isn't on the mecha or action so don't treat it as one.

Zegapain is loving fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough for anybody who wants to watch a sci-fi show.

Zegapain sounds like Zepia Gains.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Reds posted:

Man, I remember that show. What a bizarre world/concept. Was pretty decent as I recall.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched one episode of Zegapain when it first aired, but all I can remember was everything looking kind of glowy and fluorescent green.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jose posted:

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

I really liked Patema Inverted and The Place Promised in our Early Days if you're into sappy stuff like me. I'm also the opposite of viggynash and enjoy sipping the Makoto Shinkai kool aid pretty hard so I also really loved The Garden of Words+5cm/second.

Mamoru Hosoda's stuff are great, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time > Wolf Children > Summer Wars IMO

Time of EVE was compiled into a movie with some additional scenes (show was only 6 episodes) and was a great watch if you're interested in Asimov Foundation/iRobot type stuff.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jose posted:

Satoshi Kon's stuff in general is really good, Paprika being one of them. If you haven't seen them yet, give Milllenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Perfect Blue a watch.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Jose posted:

The Castle of Cagliostro

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres an anime movie lets watch thread somewhere in the last few pages you should check out, people posted a bunch in there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I found it for you becausr im incredibly nice, theres another one where they get actually watched but theres less movies in there
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736480&perpage=40

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jose posted:

All of the Kara no Kyoukai films. (It is a set of seven 45 - 70 minute films and a couple OVAs.)

Tokyo Godfathers

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

READ BERSERK ALREADY YOU FUCKTARD IT'S A LITERAL WORK OF ART IF YOUR CHIMP BRAIN CAN'T PROCESS WHAT THAT MEANS FOR gently caress'S SAKE

Just want to quote my man Plutonis here and say this goes for anyone and everyone. It seriously is prolly the best piece of media I've ever consumed in any form so read it right now.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Jose posted:

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't know if your list of Ghibli stuff included The Wind Rises but if it doesn't, it definitely should.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

I really liked Patema Inverted and The Place Promised in our Early Days if you're into sappy stuff like me. I'm also the opposite of viggynash and enjoy sipping the Makoto Shinkai kool aid pretty hard so I also really loved The Garden of Words+5cm/second.

Mamoru Hosoda's stuff are great, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time > Wolf Children > Summer Wars IMO

Time of EVE was compiled into a movie with some additional scenes (show was only 6 episodes) and was a great watch if you're interested in Asimov Foundation/iRobot type stuff.

Personally I think watching ToE one episode at a time is a better experience because it helps to pace things better. The movie just didn't do it for me. But if you do end up liking it and Patema Inverted, check out Yoshiura's previous short movie Pale Cocoon.

I agree on Hosoda, he's a great alternative to Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff. His stuff is a lot less fantasy and much more down to earth.. I don't agree that The Girl Who Leapt Though Time is a better movie than Wolf Children. Almost nothing is a better movie than Wolf Children.

Also, Shinkai is bad. :colbert: