Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Mineta uses Kujo brand hat technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Couldn't someone just like kidnap Momo and make her crap out gold or diamonds or uranium for a bomb or something?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Lord of Hats posted:

You'd think Kaminari would have thought to include something he could actually channel electricity through offensively, but having a self-powered headset is a nice touch.

There's a reason his grades were dead last in the class. Ironically, he's not very bright.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Isn't Momo restricted to the things she produces needing to have at least some organic components? Though that isn't really too much of a restriction in most cases. Especially if you bend the rules even further to it being sufficient to just have at least some C, N, or O.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 14, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

Isn't Momo restricted to the things she produces needing to have at least some organic components? Though that isn't really too much of a restriction in most cases.
If I recall her restriction is that she can't create actual life- she can create organic material (somehow) but nothing actually "living" so to speak.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nahxela posted:

How does Mineta pull off grapes from his hair if he's wearing a hood. Do his grapes phase through his hood

HE PULLS WITH HIS HEART

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Here's a puzzler - how does Mineta wash his hair?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

very carefully lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DrSunshine posted:

Here's a puzzler - how does Mineta wash his hair?

He can control the stickiness of the Grapehair.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He doesn't, which is why it's so sticky.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It also doesn't stick to him, specifically, and doesn't seem to stick to water from what the Survival Exercise showed. They also seem to regrow relatively fast? Like not super fast; he notes he can run out, but he seems able to make a significant amount of them. He might pull them out before bed and they regrow over night.

Or maybe he has a teflon coating on his pillows.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Couldn't someone just like kidnap Momo and make her crap out gold or diamonds or uranium for a bomb or something?

I wouldn't be surprised if precious metals and stones weren't so precious anymore. The chaos when powers emerged was probably more than just a surge in super-crime--it was also people suddenly having the Midas Touch.

Stallion Cabana posted:

It also doesn't stick to him, specifically, and doesn't seem to stick to water from what the Survival Exercise showed. They also seem to regrow relatively fast? Like not super fast; he notes he can run out, but he seems able to make a significant amount of them. He might pull them out before bed and they regrow over night.

Or maybe he has a teflon coating on his pillows.

The drawback is mainly that his head starts bleeding if he pulls too many, too fast.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's one of those powers that it's easy to think too hard about. The core concept is easy to grasp, but when you start asking questions like "why don't they stick to his gloves", things start getting dicey. Or if you try to hard to figure out how Tsuyu has 30 feet of tongue that is prehensile and strong enough to lift people.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I thought Mineta's grapes were only sticky after they got pulled? Or does he really have to watch out for barbers and passing under low branches?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
They don't affect him, for some nebulous value of "Him." They only seem to become sticky after they're pulled.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Basically, you can either try to explain the superpowers with pseudoscience or literally have them have an unexplained supernatural/magic type element to them.

I'm thinking the latter is probably what people should go with. One For All literally seems to take a part of you with it when you give it away; with an echo of your "soul" or "will" being present in the next holder. Like it wouldn't shock me if after All Might dies that Midoriya occasionally gets a pep-talk from the remains of All Might's soul/will that he inherited.

It wouldn't shock me if in the end quirks ended up being some sort of independent presence in the characters- like a Stand or Persona or Soul Cutter or something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One of the main characters has leg-engines powered by orange juice that give him super-speed. That's, like, the definition of 'don't examine this too closely, ya nerds'.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I like Mineta, he's a fun character.
It's impossible to hate a character who finds a peeping hole in the locker room and makes a Shawshank redemption reference.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Prediction :

The entire class fails the test and all of them have to stay behind in 'remedial hell'. Class 1-B all pass and get the lodge vacation or whatever.

I doubt it'll happen but this manga has thrown me off on my predictions more than a few times already.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine everyone passes and they get attacked by the big animal dude badguy featured in the new villain spread who was out in a forest.

Or maybe some fail and some don't and we get a dual-pronged attack at the school and out at the lodge.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i think they all pass except all-might's team and everyone has resort fun shinannigans while deku and lord expolodokill fight more villany

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Elfgames posted:

i think they all pass except all-might's team and everyone has resort fun shinannigans while deku and lord expolodokill fight more villany have to go to study hall and do a two thousand word written report on why they failed

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Fabricated posted:

I imagine everyone passes and they get attacked by the big animal dude badguy featured in the new villain spread who was out in a forest.

Or maybe some fail and some don't and we get a dual-pronged attack at the school and out at the lodge.

I'm curious if they were just examples of villains or actual villains. I assume actual because a) why bother making up characters if you're not going to use them and b) most of the heroes seen in early chapters turned up later, so qed

still... i dunno. *shrug*

Anyway give me a new chapter, world

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Oh we'll see more of them.
Horikoshi isn't the type to waste designs and page space. With Stain out of the way we only have Handjob and smoker Mk2 with perhaps a couple of Noumu's running around. The villains need to bolster their ranks and Stain was the catalyst for this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm just wondering how we're going to get continuing battles with villains with the school setting.

Like, How many times would you let your kids be attacked at school or at school functions or off-campus just BECAUSE they're going to UA before you pulled them out of the school- even if they were training to be heroes? Just like, study the kids and use Black Mist to catch them alone on their way to/from school and assassinate them one by one until everyone pulls their kids out. Seems like that would go a long way to loving up the hero system.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm really wanting to see more superhero 'verse enemies, like alien invaders, cosmic beings, mad scientists, evil robots, and megalomaniacs.

Give us Galactus, Horikoshi!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
This a fun and cool manga, i think

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I'm just wondering how we're going to get continuing battles with villains with the school setting.

Like, How many times would you let your kids be attacked at school or at school functions or off-campus just BECAUSE they're going to UA before you pulled them out of the school- even if they were training to be heroes? Just like, study the kids and use Black Mist to catch them alone on their way to/from school and assassinate them one by one until everyone pulls their kids out. Seems like that would go a long way to loving up the hero system.

The management does seem to take this into consideration though. Hell the whole reason they have the kids go up against the teachers here is because they've had a bunch of run-ins recently.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

whalestory posted:

This a fun and cool manga, i think

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Volume 5 extras out.

Highlights:

Breakdowns of Bakugo's and Midoriya's costumes. The one for Bakugo covers a lot of how his sweat is absorbed and stored. Midoriya's costume is completely regular stuff, with a few touch-ups for the All Might-styled mask.
The sports festival was planned to be only 10 chapters, but Horikoshi couldn't keep it that way and include everyone. He mentioned a meeting with Kishimoto, who had told him that will happen.
Endeavor was planned to be a teacher, but it would throw balance out of whack. Also, he has a regular beard under the fire-beard, but he always keeps it lit to show off.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
So, who feels like some Burning Black Coffee?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat that dude's name is literally Sugar and his power is supposed to be really strong? Aah. I want to see it! Show me Sugar Man!!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm really wanting to see more superhero 'verse enemies, like alien invaders, cosmic beings, mad scientists, evil robots, and megalomaniacs.

Give us Galactus, Horikoshi!!

One of my favourite things about western comics is how balls out crazy the setting is with different things in it. One Punch Man does this pretty well, I think, (even though most heroes have the same origins for their power), so yeah I could see a guy like Horikoshi pulling off, Id dunno, Evil Alternate Universe or Alien Invasion arcs. They'd both be a cool way of setting up a "rival school" once the immediate crisis is resolved.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

drat that dude's name is literally Sugar and his power is supposed to be really strong? Aah. I want to see it! Show me Sugar Man!!

He turns things into sugar.

Beating all villains by making them into sweets.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He turns things into sugar.

Beating all villains by making them into sweets.

I eagerly await the crossover where he fights Majin Buu.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Prison Warden posted:

One of my favourite things about western comics is how balls out crazy the setting is with different things in it. One Punch Man does this pretty well, I think, (even though most heroes have the same origins for their power), so yeah I could see a guy like Horikoshi pulling off, Id dunno, Evil Alternate Universe or Alien Invasion arcs. They'd both be a cool way of setting up a "rival school" once the immediate crisis is resolved.

It'd be pretty easy to introduce an outside the norm source of powers as a way of upping the ante and potentially changing the rules a bit in terms of what villains and heroes can be. Quirks as they stand, however off the walls they get, are a form of biological (ie, 'science') superpower, and with a clear thematic limit unless one managed to inherit from both their parents. Something like magic? An utter unknown.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm trying to introduce this series to a friend. Can I tell them this is sort of like a Japanese X-Men series?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I like Tsuyu because she's like a HxH character. Her power is simple but she uses it really well, she's calm and analytical in tense situations, and she's small and green.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm trying to introduce this series to a friend. Can I tell them this is sort of like a Japanese X-Men series?
Say that it's basically a far less bleak X-men, where 80-90% of the population expressed the X-gene instead of like 1%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Given the history of the comic, it's more that Magneto was right and it's a mostly post homo sapiens world now.