Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BaconAndBullets posted:

What exactly were they trying to prove? It looks awfully like the actual wreckage of MH-17

This was actually a hobbyist reenactment, like the Sons of Confederate Veterans lining up in grey uniforms at Vicksburg once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcNt92VeKU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Phanatic posted:

If the missile did the damage by smacking into you. The speed of the shockwave and associated fragments dwarf the velocity of the missile or the plane.

By at least an order of magnitude. The whole point of the explosion is that you don't have to hit it - just come close.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Chinatown posted:

Being in the rear of that plane must have sucked big time.

at least one passenger was found with the oxygen mask on. some of them rode that train right into the ground and felt the whole thing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ded posted:

at least one passenger was found with the oxygen mask on. some of them rode that train right into the ground and felt the whole thing.

yea but they probably had a hell of an adrenaline high kinda dulling the terror just a bit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean I guess there's always the hope that you'll plow through your fear and do some Slim Pickens poo poo while you're strapped in but I dunno I'd probably just cry and poo poo myself

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Not to get too morbid, but dying by falling from a huge height is a sort of fantasy of mine. I wouldn't choose it over living, sure, but it gives one plenty of time to come to terms with the fact that one is hosed and there's nothing to worry about. I imagine the greatest feeling of relief.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I don't think an uncontrolled tumbling fall would be very calming. You don't exactly have time to come to terms with the circumstances that led up to it first.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I don't think an uncontrolled tumbling fall would be very calming. You don't exactly have time to come to terms with the circumstances that led up to it first.

A good 2+ minute free fall would be alright with me, all things considered, is all I'm saying. It's not at the bottom of the list of things I'd like to do with the rest of my life. I don't claim to speak for anybody else.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

wouldn't the missile travelling at a lot m/s have a big effect on the damage delivered vs propped up by 2x4's?
Not as much as the target moving at Mach .8 instead of sitting there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two minutes will go by quicker than you think, the challenger crew were apparently trying to regain control their entire way down. :smith:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Slim Pickens posted:

Two minutes will go by quicker than you think, the challenger crew were apparently trying to regain control their entire way down. :smith:

Goddamn. At least they tried.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think you mean the Columbia, the Challenger at least was quick.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

They later figured out that while the explosion looked like it should have killed or at least knocked everyone unconcious, the cockpit module was almost totally intact until impact and a bunch of the levers and switchs were in non-flight positions, aka the pilots were moving

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
How to put more BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP in your BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2QyIEdDGc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Since the Air Force is committed to killing the A-10, is there any other potential use for the GAU-8?

Could it be used on an AFV, C-RAM or naval mount?

It'd be a shame to retire this baby.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Frosted Flake posted:

Since the Air Force is committed to killing the A-10, is there any other potential use for the GAU-8?

Weapons pod for the F-35 was brought up iirc

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

There already is a naval CIWS mount in active service: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_CIWS

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

A naval GAU-8 already exists, the Dutch use it in their Goalkeeper CIWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_dH19R-q4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Meh. It's been tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE1S95Cy7wg

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Frosted Flake posted:

put it on a metal gear

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
metal....gear!!??

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mike-o posted:

metal....gear!!??
You knew??

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.facebook.com/theisraelproject/videos/10154524948572316/

Well that just take the cake don't it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

That guy sucks at GTA

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

put it on a metal gear

Can a BigDog hold one of these? Only thing scarier than the hound from Farenheit 451 is that same hound with a 30mm Gatling gun strapped to its back.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kavak posted:

http://www.space-shuttle.com/challenger1.htm

quote:

- The cause of death of the Challenger astronauts cannot be positively determined;
- The forces to which the crew were exposed during orbiter breakup were probably not sufficient to cause death or serious injury; and
- The crew possibly, but not certainly, lost consciousness in the seconds following orbiter breakup due to in-flight loss of crew module pressure."

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That is not the entire story. Mike Mullane went into more detail about it in Riding Rockets. Things like the fact that at least one of the emergency air packs was turned on for one of the pilots and it could only have been turned on by someone behind them (the pressure suit was filled with air and the amount of air used was consistent with the time it took to reach the ground and die no longer using more air). Also the facts about control switches that could not have been changed from the impact (they tested the gently caress out of it to make sure) were moved. Evidence very much supports the fact that at least 2 of the crew were alive and functional on the way down.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I was just quoting a pretty concisely written article stating the facts without any conclusions being drawn.

I recently went sky diving and couldn't imagine very many more helpless feelings that last longer than uncontrolled freefall. As recreation with lots of gear and under controlled circumstances, fun as hell; strapped to a plane seat tumbling down in an uncontrolled crash, I don't know if you would be able to appreciate the view.

Jumpers from the golden gate bridge who've survived have recalled they immediately regretted the decision; when I fell from the plane, it took more than a few seconds to get used to the fall sensation and enjoy it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Can we nuke the middle east already.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Challenger stuff

Jesus, I never knew any of that, that's awful.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Chinatown posted:

Can we nuke the middle east already.

We're always lookimg for common ground woth Russia and China. Why cant this be it?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Frosted Flake posted:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Weapons pod for the F-35 was brought up iirc

Hot Karl Marx posted:

put it on a metal gear

Mike-o posted:

metal....gear!!??

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-16-gun-pod-that-tried-to-shoot-down-the-a-10-wart-1597577525

Evidently all the GAU-8s that were in pods for the "F/A-16" were dumped onto the Marines, who thought about putting them on LCACs. Up to *four* of them.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-13

I didn't know that we effectively handed a working example of the A-10's ~super gun~ to the Royal Thai Air Force.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Here's Lt. Col. Dale Zelko being fed humble pie by Colonel Zoltán Dani who shot him down

After the war he became a baker and he bakes a F-117A cake annually

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-16-gun-pod-that-tried-to-shoot-down-the-a-10-wart-1597577525

Evidently all the GAU-8s that were in pods for the "F/A-16" were dumped onto the Marines, who thought about putting them on LCACs. Up to *four* of them.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-13

I didn't know that we effectively handed a working example of the A-10's ~super gun~ to the Royal Thai Air Force.

That's amazing. I don't know or care about the practicality, but that's a lot of DU coming down on someone's head.

Hell, they used machineguns in the indirect role in WW1, maybe there's something to it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Its fun to think how one sided WW1 would be with just a dozen pieces of modern artillery w/ trained crews given to a single side. To see it go from spray and pray of iron shells to dropping shells within a few inches of the intended placement with an HE round would have completely sent it to a one sided event

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I dunno, late-war gun crews had counter-battery down to an art, given their equipment. Obviously it wouldn't stand up to modern day tech, but we're talking about dudes who regularly used gas-shells to suppress enemy batteries.

Super interesting time in terms of evolving tactics.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
When I worked briefly with Canada's department of national defence, my boss was telling me about this Canadian guy who figured out how to do indirect fire with a small "battery" of browning .50s

I tried looking for online one time but never found anything so I dunno if he was making it up or something.

Doesnt seem like an impossible thing so I'm sure someone did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hot Karl Marx posted:

When I worked briefly with Canada's department of national defence, my boss was telling me about this Canadian guy who figured out how to do indirect fire with a small "battery" of browning .50s

I tried looking for online one time but never found anything so I dunno if he was making it up or something.

Doesnt seem like an impossible thing so I'm sure someone did it.

Huey's did it with some regularity in Vietnam according to my great uncle who flew them

• Locked thread