Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dubious posted:

Is there like a babby's first primer for how to play this game, or basketball in general, because I'm real bad at this game but it is fun

Did you watch the 2k training videos? I think you even get VC for doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
how the gently caress do I do a stepback jumper? I can't get it to work

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Move the left stick away from the basket and shoot

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
This game is kind of a buggy mess on PC, but I haven't played a 2K title in years and I am loving it. I just lost a one point game to the Cavs and it was incredibly fun. I am not very skilled at anything other than post play, and I feel like there are a thousand things that I don't know how to do.

MyCareer is pretty fun, though. Hitting a fade away over Lebron to go up by one with seconds left feels great.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Treemeister posted:

This game is kind of a buggy mess on PC, but I haven't played a 2K title in years and I am loving it. I just lost a one point game to the Cavs and it was incredibly fun. I am not very skilled at anything other than post play, and I feel like there are a thousand things that I don't know how to do.

MyCareer is pretty fun, though. Hitting a fade away over Lebron to go up by one with seconds left feels great.

Until he chucks a half court shot and makes it to beat you.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
It was actually sadder than that. They pushed the ball with ten seconds left and got to the bucket and then with two seconds left I passed to a cutting Monta Ellis who blew the dunk at the buzzer.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

This poo poo keeps popping up after online games (usually following an error in game along the lines of "there was an unforeseen issue, you will be returned to the menu and this game will not count") and it's really annoying. it doesn't go away unless you cancel or close the game, and it always results in a 0-0 loss.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Glumslinger

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

Are they going to update Steven Adams hair and tattoo?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

In MyCareer I seem to be finding myself more excited about my off days than my game days

Is that strange??

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Duggler posted:

In MyCareer I seem to be finding myself more excited about my off days than my game days

Is that strange??

That's me currently, and I've put 99% of my past few years of 2k just playing mycareer. I think the lovely 1st year story, the bugs that make games longer (PC Q+A non-existent, of course), and general dumb jank added made it feel like a chore to play. That and further nerfing your starting player is just making me play until I get all the MyTeam cards and never touch it again.

That saddens me.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
it's so stupid how bad your rookie starts at basketball

like i got drafted 11th where myles turner did (despite dom telling me i'm the greatest talent in basketball history and i'll go #1 no question) and i start with a 55 rating despite the fact that myles started at 73 rating

then the game goes out of its way to fellate you as a force on the hardwood while you're scoring 6 points a game on 40% shooting in 18 minutes played or w/e

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tae posted:

That's me currently, and I've put 99% of my past few years of 2k just playing mycareer. I think the lovely 1st year story, the bugs that make games longer (PC Q+A non-existent, of course), and general dumb jank added made it feel like a chore to play. That and further nerfing your starting player is just making me play until I get all the MyTeam cards and never touch it again.

That saddens me.

Yeah uh Mycareer has always been my favorite part of the 2k games but the spike lee poo poo was awful. Like, a neat idea, but horribly written and acted and the player is given zero agency.

It's pretty good once you get in your 2nd season but there's still some lingering weird poo poo and the complete removal of all the other cinematic or story touches the game has had the last few years is really dumb.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
ya the cutscenes are sooooo bad its surprising that this is what an actual film writer and director came up w/. like in one cutscene, vic reveals hes bo$$-key-yacht$ (comedy), that freq gave him quarter million dollars in ten months (drama), that vic is welch grape jelly of freq's parents (ok sure), that his parents died of the aids (melodrama), and that freq once killed a guy (...what??), and the point of the scene in the plot is not to explore any of the MANY plot points we just introduced (all of which are about to be dropped except maybe the 'freq has loving parents' "plot") but so freq gives vic his car...for shock value when we learn that vic's dead?? of course then vic's ghost appears to give a 5 minute monologue of probably something really dumb but i don't really know what it was about b/c at the point i was completely over how stupid it was

like i don't care about the complaint that some people have about a lack of agency or that your character has to be black for the plot to make sense or whatever which are legit complaints about a *video game* plot but it honestly doesn't even seem like spike lee is trying to tell a compelling story or even a story at all

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, I mean, the lack of agency and all that stuff wouldn't bother me nearly as much if the story they were telling was good or interesting or even remotely at all related to the game(s) I'm playing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Glumslinger

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

Are they going to update Steven Adams hair and tattoo?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand 2k's recent trend to make your 1st year as miserable as possible.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

I don't understand 2k's recent trend to make your 1st year as miserable as possible.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I'd be surprised if players did anything but cheer at the news of Vic's death.

Oh also the lady that plays your girlfriend is pretty in real life, but that in-game model...yikes.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I skipped nearly all the cutscenes, they were embarrassing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I wouldn't have minded all the story stuff, but when it's like 3 times longer than actual gameplay it's less of a story to compliment gameplay, but more like a movie with games of 2k in between.

Also having agency wouldn't be such a bad thing in a game mode called 'my career'. Let me get drafted out of high school, let me decide to stay in college. Maybe let me decide to go overseas first. Whatever. Don't just play a film reel about this magical superstar when I'm averaging like 6 points in my first year.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The MYTeam Big Man challenge aka Not Centers this year instead the Best Players in the Leaguelol is bullshit.

That is all

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
My favorite part is if you play like poo poo and your draft projection is late first round Mr Super Agent still butters you and your idiot family up with the FIRST OVERALL PICK bullshit because none of it is even remotely related to the ongoing gameplay.

It's a really bad basketball movie but every ten minutes you pause and play 10 minutes of nba 2k before continuing, the two things are only really tenuously part of the same experience.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Best part was hearing my white mycareer player talk

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surely there hasn't been a person that has said "this story is dope."
It's mind boggling to try and understand why they went through with it after they got Spike's script.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
The thing with the story is that it has a few moments, but it's clear that something got taken out when they went to production. It's like someone read a complete script that actually made sense and flowed, and then cherry picked the 'important stuff' from it and that's what they actually bothered working on. As borderline schizophrenic as the car scene is, it's maybe the only cutscene in the entire game that actually drew me in to some degree and made me invested to an extent, but the sheer length and how much they packed into it had me saying, "Okay you had me 3 minutes ago and now I'm losing interest."

It also makes a lot more sense if you look at it as a story about Vic using your player as a framing device.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

The story is 2 hours long, I think Spike just didn't have a clue how to integrate gameplay with it when really he didn't have to.

There was no gameplay story line other than you dominate in high school and college. Literally no conflict until you make the NBA and then you are suddenly given a new set of arms and legs and lose all coordination.

And every loving time Freq makes a decision we aren't there when he makes it. It's just SURPRISE he decided not to stay in college after saying he is going to sleep on it.

I mean gently caress, if you aren't going to let me choose at least let me see where the game is taking me. Imagine every cut scene was like this game, you would go from fighting the boss to everyone back home safely reading books or some poo poo. All the interesting stuff is cut out its insane

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It honestly seems like a bunch of it was cut for time or something, because college had like no story line beats in it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dexo posted:

It honestly seems like a bunch of it was cut for time or something, because college had like no story line beats in it.

College is nothing but basketball, taking money from boosters, and sex. Seems Spike would have been all over that though 2K probably wouldn't have been too keen on it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

They should have shown the flashback of freq murdering that guy instead of just talking about it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

jabro posted:

College is nothing but basketball, taking money from boosters, and sex. Seems Spike would have been all over that though 2K probably wouldn't have been too keen on it.

The schools in the game probably wouldn't have allowed them to do that.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Seriously how am i supposed to beat a lineup of hayward James Durant Duncan cousins (with leanord pg melo on the bench) with a team that can't have any pfs or centers? ????

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So the new rookie of the year packs are good as gently caress. I sold my james harden for some absurd amount of money and bought a bunch of packs and I've packed ROTY MJ 3 or 4 times now (who is of course worth an absurd amount) and a bunch of other players, even the lovely ROTY cards are worth like ~10k. So now I have basically unlimited resources and have also packed Lebron and another Harden and also Anthony Davis two more times. I've got about a million coins worth of poo poo up on the auction house right now.

But yeah the ROTY packs are basically the normal top tier pack but instead of a chance at historic players you have a (pretty good) chance of pulling a random ROTY card.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Is this worth getting on PS3? Or is it a lovely cut-down version of the real game, like NHL this year?

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 17, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's a lovely cut down version, same as last year.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

hopterque posted:

So the new rookie of the year packs are good as gently caress. I sold my james harden for some absurd amount of money and bought a bunch of packs and I've packed ROTY MJ 3 or 4 times now (who is of course worth an absurd amount) and a bunch of other players, even the lovely ROTY cards are worth like ~10k. So now I have basically unlimited resources and have also packed Lebron and another Harden and also Anthony Davis two more times. I've got about a million coins worth of poo poo up on the auction house right now.

But yeah the ROTY packs are basically the normal top tier pack but instead of a chance at historic players you have a (pretty good) chance of pulling a random ROTY card.

Thanks for the tip. I usually save my coins for TBT since i like having a mix of old school players and buying players i actually want but I'll try this next time

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Throwback thursday would probably be a better bet later on in the season but right now the only really good TBT player is the 90 rated Melo. I'm interested to see what other packs they add as the season starts, I assume we'll start having a chance to get dynamic players in packs at some point soon.

e: As an update, I've packed every single ROTY player at least once now except Lillard who I haven't seen at all. Of course, I've spent hundreds of thousands of MT on packs but I've made way, way more than I spent selling duplicates, and packed some incredibly valuable players that I'm keeping. I've got 300k MT right now and I'm still waiting on one MJ and Anthony Davis to sell. Obviously, luck has something to do with it, but the verdict seems to be that the packs are incredibly good.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 17, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wow gauntlet is some bullshit when I have 3 bronze players to 3 gold

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Gauntlet's randomness can be a real pain a lot of the time. Like oh sure I'm totally happy with these two bronze centers who are physically incapable of shooting the basketball.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What's the best way to get MT, because honestly matchmaking is a poo poo show in how it takes (On the PC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tae posted:

What's the best way to get MT, because honestly matchmaking is a poo poo show in how it takes (On the PC).

Domination, probably. Also a good way to get a bunch of players and hit collection reward tiers.

• Locked thread