Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

socketwrencher posted:

That's wild about the ginseng. You'd think they'd have that covered over there.

It's foreign and therefore considered cleaner, better than domestic ginseng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It might be that now but originally it was supposed to have different magic effects. It's a different species.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm of a different species.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Nah, the sorcerers say they do different magic from the domestic ones.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Best to bring an adapter for electrical outlets? May be staying in lower-end hotels.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you get one of those 10 year tourist visas, do you have to apply for a new one when your passport expires?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

socketwrencher posted:

Best to bring an adapter for electrical outlets? May be staying in lower-end hotels.

Yeah, you probably should. Most outlets will accept US/Japanese, Korean, and Chinese 3-prong-but-angled-wrong plugs, but you might find a place that only has the latter.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

VideoTapir posted:

If you get one of those 10 year tourist visas, do you have to apply for a new one when your passport expires?

No. They actually give you a little explanation sheet when you get it that says you can take your new passport and old passport together and use the old visa. It's a little early so I don't know if anyone has done this but apparently that's how it's supposed to work.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah, you probably should. Most outlets will accept US/Japanese, Korean, and Chinese 3-prong-but-angled-wrong plugs, but you might find a place that only has the latter.

Cheers, I'll pick one up.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

SB35 posted:

No. They actually give you a little explanation sheet when you get it that says you can take your new passport and old passport together and use the old visa. It's a little early so I don't know if anyone has done this but apparently that's how it's supposed to work.

This is how it works for US ten year visas.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

SB35 posted:

What about countries where you have to hand in your old passport when you get a new one? Do you have to reapply for the visa, or is there some separate procedure for transferring the remaining duration of the existing visa to the new passport?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Waci posted:

What about countries where you have to hand in your old passport when you get a new one? Do you have to reapply for the visa, or is there some separate procedure for transferring the remaining duration of the existing visa to the new passport?

The ten year visa is only for China/USA. The US requests your old passport unless it's lost or destroyed but actually sends back your old passport after you get the new one. China I'd guess returns it as well.

Other countries, no idea, but you don't get 10 year visas so, sorry.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Doesn't Australia have ten years now too?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I can confirm Canada has a ten year one, I've got one. Edit: in my case, the visa is good until the passport's expiration, which is in roughly 9 years.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Use it to visit Tianjin

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Visit the Tianjin special economic zone international ***** nature hole park. Do you know?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Visit the nationwide China post-apocalypse theme park.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Is Uber cheaper/better than Didi Kuaidi in Beijing and Shanghai?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Hi Chinese goons from a SE Asia goon. I'm in Chengdu at the moment and wanted to explore a bit more of this province/see some Tibetan stuff without actually going into Tibet (second time in China, I've done a lot of the big touristy stuff previously). A guide recommended me to visit Kangding, Tagon, and Seda - is this a dumb idea considering I basically speak zero Chinese? I've never had an issue getting around here before but that was in big cities or tourist places.

Also any goons still in Chengdu? I'm here for a couple nights if anyone wants to grab a beer or something :)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
visar

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Tytan posted:

Hi Chinese goons from a SE Asia goon. I'm in Chengdu at the moment and wanted to explore a bit more of this province/see some Tibetan stuff without actually going into Tibet (second time in China, I've done a lot of the big touristy stuff previously). A guide recommended me to visit Kangding, Tagon, and Seda - is this a dumb idea considering I basically speak zero Chinese? I've never had an issue getting around here before but that was in big cities or tourist places.

Getting around western Sichuan is no more difficult than in the rest China, except you'll be taking buses and vans everywhere, and some of the roads are in poor shape (as of 2012). Don't worry about language issues, you'll actually hear much less Mandarin there anyway as the main language is Tibetan.

As for itinerary, it depends on the amount of time you have. I'd recommend taking the route from Kangding all the way to Zhongdian in Yunnan. You'll need a couple of weeks, but you'll see some diverse parts of the plateau in a relatively small area.

google maps

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 15, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

kenner116 posted:

Getting around western Sichuan is no more difficult than in the rest China, except you'll be taking buses and vans everywhere, and some of the roads are in poor shape (as of 2012). Don't worry about language issues, you'll actually hear much less Mandarin there anyway as the main language is Tibetan.

As for itinerary, it depends on the amount of time you have. I'd recommend taking the route from Kangding all the way to Zhongdian in Yunnan. You'll need a couple of weeks, but you'll see some diverse parts of the plateau in a relatively small area.

google maps

This looks like it's a Good Place and somewhere I'd like to visit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That orange thing is a new kind of monk hat I didn't know about!

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

kenner116 posted:

Thanks for the info, those pics are awesome and I'm starting to wish I'd dedicated more time for this - I've probably only got 7 or 8 days, since I'm heading to Jiazhaigou first (I keep forgetting how goddam big this country is :saddowns: ) I guess at least I have a good excuse to come back.

Is Seda worth a visit? It looks amazing from what I've seen, and I saw buses run from Chengdu. If I headed directly there, would there be anywhere else I could visit in the time that I've got? I'm quite happy just hanging out in cool places for a few days, but it would be nice to see more of the region if possible.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
With the introduction of these new visas is having a return ticket booked still something they check for to get into the country, particularly if you fly into Shanghai? My wife and I might visit her family in the near future and I can afford one-way tickets to Shanghai with just frequent flyer miles, and then we were thinking about checking out one or more of the million surrounding countries and just heading out from there.

If needed is it still easy to book and cancel a ticket in like five minutes and which site would you use for that?

Edit - My wife is Chinese so I can potentially get a pretty good visa, with the best one (from what I've been told) being ten year multiple entry with six months per entry (who knows if I'd ever actually stay that long, but it'd be nice to have in the event of a family death or something). In China everyone I knew who wasn't a student or on a working visa used visa agencies to apply/extend for new visas, so my question is is there any point to spending the extra money and doing that in the States? Are the Chinese embassies as corrupt as the places that issue visas in actual China? If so anyone know one with really good guanxi?

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 15, 2015

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Tytan posted:

Is Seda worth a visit? It looks amazing from what I've seen, and I saw buses run from Chengdu. If I headed directly there, would there be anywhere else I could visit in the time that I've got? I'm quite happy just hanging out in cool places for a few days, but it would be nice to see more of the region if possible.
My original plan had me going up through Seda(Sertar) and Langmusi but I ended up with a group and went northwest to Garze, Manigango, Serxu, and Yushu in Qinghai province. Any of the towns along the way marked on my map were worth a couple or more days so just play it by ear and enjoy the scenery.

Here's some info about getting to Seda.

The white line was my original planned route; colored lines are GPS tracks of my actual path.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Cuatal posted:

With the introduction of these new visas is having a return ticket booked still something they check for to get into the country, particularly if you fly into Shanghai? My wife and I might visit her family in the near future and I can afford one-way tickets to Shanghai with just frequent flyer miles, and then we were thinking about checking out one or more of the million surrounding countries and just heading out from there.

If needed is it still easy to book and cancel a ticket in like five minutes and which site would you use for that?

Edit - My wife is Chinese so I can potentially get a pretty good visa, with the best one (from what I've been told) being ten year multiple entry with six months per entry (who knows if I'd ever actually stay that long, but it'd be nice to have in the event of a family death or something). In China everyone I knew who wasn't a student or on a working visa used visa agencies to apply/extend for new visas, so my question is is there any point to spending the extra money and doing that in the States? Are the Chinese embassies as corrupt as the places that issue visas in actual China? If so anyone know one with really good guanxi?

They check for a return ticket on the first time you apply for the 10 year visa. But you could just cancel it. All US airlines at least allow free cancellation within 24 hours, so just print the confirmation then cancel.

I got a ten year, multi entry, 60 day visa without even trying hard. You maybe could get a 120-180 day visa and a Chinese wife might be good enough reason for that. Try. Worst case you get a ten year multi entry 60 day.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
When I applied they made sure I had a hotel and round trip ticket. I applied for a 1 year and at the window she just had me mark it out and write in on the Other line that I wanted a 10 year instead.

When I was in Shanghai though they didn't ask anything about hotels or tickets at immigration. You might be able to get through OK. But you also might end up having to buy a return ticket on the spot if they actually ask about it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you're a US citizen applying for a tourist visa and they give you anything other than a ten year multi entry then you've been cheated and you should PM me. Chinese citizens are getting US ten years and reciprocity is serious business.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about an onward ticket to Bangkok, etc?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I read Chinese overstaying their visas is now the number one illegal immigrant group.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kenner116 posted:

google maps

This is a cool and good post.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Bloodnose posted:

If you're a US citizen applying for a tourist visa and they give you anything other than a ten year multi entry then you've been cheated and you should PM me. Chinese citizens are getting US ten years and reciprocity is serious business.

Can you make me a US citizen thanks

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
I'm going to be exploring parts of China by myself next week and want to run the itinerary by this thread to see if I'm doing anything stupid. I can't speak Mandarin for poo poo so I'll be relying on research before hand to make it.

Train from Shanghai Hongqiao to Nanjing
Explore Purple Mountain area
Explore Confucious Temple area
Overnight train from Nanjing South to Huangshan
Make my way to Tangkou and head up Huangshan
2 nights in Xihai hotel
Head back to Tunxi and take a National Express Bus to Hangzhou
1 night in Hangzhou
Explore the West Lake
See Lingyin temple
Train back to Shanghai

I don't really have a plan for Hangzhou, but people are saying its worth an overnight stay. If anybody has any recommendations there, that'd be cool too!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is travel hell during all of spring festival? I'd imagine the first two and last two days of the holiday proper are insane but if your job's vacation were longer and you could schedule things so you're not traveling during those two periods, what's it like?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Is travel hell during all of spring festival? I'd imagine the first two and last two days of the holiday proper are insane but if your job's vacation were longer and you could schedule things so you're not traveling during those two periods, what's it like?

1. It's bad
2. The end

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Grand Fromage posted:

Depends on how you're travelling and exactly when you're travelling. Rail can be tough, but doable, especially on routes with multiple forms of train (some routes the slow trains are packed but the hgh speed has seats, sometimes it's the other way around). Buses are often a bit more feasible, again though it depends on the exact route. Going by plane is the most likely to net a ticket, but you might pay a premium.

In terms of when to go, a week or so before/after the official holiday dates should be doable. Best time to travel, though, is on Spring Festival Day/Eve itself. There's always seats on any form of transport then, and plane tickets are dirt cheap. If you're not travelling to spend the holiday with someone that might be your best option for at least part of the journey.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also wouldn't be going to heavily populated areas, if that matters. If I did a trip I was thinking of Xinjiang, Qinghai, Yunnan. Maybe Gansu. Some combination of places in those.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Don't go a week or so before the official holiday. Daduzi is trying to trick you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Keep in mind that a lot of things are closed during the spring festival week.