Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

TinTower posted:

See above:

And, of course, there is a willing market. Because of course there is, this is the Internet.

I guess there are just some things in this world I'll never understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

No Pants posted:

There are internet dominatrixes who will do weird poo poo to your computer remotely for money.
It gets me so hard when my mistress deletes my Hosts file and flushes my DNS cache. Sometimes she'll even re-arrange the icons in my taskbar.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My goddess has all my personal info and could blackmail me to my wife at any time, and access to my bank account where she only lets me spend when she wants me to. All of you making fun of this, you are just not enough of a man to submit to true feminine power.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Devil Tesla posted:

My goddess has all my personal info and could blackmail me to my wife at any time, and access to my bank account where she only lets me spend when she wants me to. All of you making fun of this, you are just not enough of a man to submit to true feminine power.
Paging Cabbagepots to this thread so his Gigamaidens can show us true feminine power.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

Sandwich Fight posted:

I've used Gas Cubby for years, but after looking at this app I think I'm gonna make the switch.
Gas Cubby is very usable and has a lot of stats and reminders for maintenance, but GasTracker looks nicer.

Same. Been using Gas Cubby since 2011. I've been a little annoyed recently that they haven't updated Gas Cubby and the UI was feeling very outdated. So I took a quick look at the Fuelly web site, decided to try it out. Went to Gas Cubby, exported the data, opened it in Excel and formatted like Fuelly wants, save to CSV, imported into my new profile at Fuelly. Downloaded the app, signed into my Fuelly account and everything's there. Took literally 5 minutes.

I'm sold.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Patronage in Overcast is how Marco is laundering the payola he's getting for pulling Peace

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ephori posted:

Patronage in Overcast is how Marco is laundering the payola he's getting for pulling Peace

Not a great way to do it, with Apple taking 30%

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Devil Tesla posted:

Not a great way to do it, with Apple taking 30%

I think that's a pretty standard money laundering rate

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Not sure if this is a Tweetbot question or whatever but here goes. I follow some sports teams just to read their updates now and then but on game days they turn into a play by play minute by minute spam machine. Is it possible to set up some kind of filter to do something like "if account tweets more than x times in last y minutes, then temporarily mute account"?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure if this is a Tweetbot question or whatever but here goes. I follow some sports teams just to read their updates now and then but on game days they turn into a play by play minute by minute spam machine. Is it possible to set up some kind of filter to do something like "if account tweets more than x times in last y minutes, then temporarily mute account"?

No but when you see it starting you can long-press the accounts avatar and mute them for whatever length of time going forward. (You can also do this with a hashtag if they consistently use one.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've got like five apps that refuse to update on my iPad. Any solutions? I guess I could just backup/restore.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tuyop posted:

I've got like five apps that refuse to update on my iPad. Any solutions? I guess I could just backup/restore.

Restart the device, and/or delete the app/reinstall them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What app is best for testing wifi strength? We're plotting wifi strength around our campus to make a heat map, and something a little detailed may work. Or would the regular Speedtest app work?

What about a general one for cell phone reception? Can an app reasonably measure that?

Thanks beautiful goons.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

tuyop posted:

Do they get stuck in the "updates" section but only show an "open" button greyed out?

Force close the app store, and then reopen it and rush to the Update All button. There's a split second where it's usable, but you pretty much have to have your finger already over the space before you open the app store to get the timing right.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Avocados posted:

What app is best for testing wifi strength? We're plotting wifi strength around our campus to make a heat map, and something a little detailed may work. Or would the regular Speedtest app work?

What about a general one for cell phone reception? Can an app reasonably measure that?

Thanks beautiful goons.

In terms of cell reception, you could maybe use Field Test Mode: link

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avocados posted:

Thanks beautiful goons.

AirPort Utility>Wifi Scan. It will give you RSSI values for every Infrastructure Mode BSS it sees, down to the edge of detection (around -90 dBm). It can be set to continuous update mode, will report the ESSID, BSSID and RSSI. You can do a site survey that way using a grid and Excel. Just record down the RSSI for each BSSID it sees at each grid coordinate. You should be able to use that data to generate a sort-of heat map. You won't be able to find the noise floor or easily locate interference, but it will work in a pinch.

It will be slow and painful

You do not need an AirPort for this to work. You don't even need to be on a Wireless network for it work.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 19, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah those two suggestions will work. This is for an intro mapping class and I really just need enough info to throw up enough colors and data on a map, so a student could hypothetically see the best place to stream netflix outside or something. :shobon:

Thanks for the suggestions~

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Avocados posted:

Thanks beautiful goons.

Telstra WiFi Maximiser appears to have a heat mapping tool for iOS that doesn't cost £80, or there's Ekahau's one for Windows if you have a spare machine or can Bootcamp a Mac.
http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to disable the "soandso is typing…" notifications in Smapchat? I don't care if someone is typing, only that I've received a message.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If you guys use Todoist (or poo poo, even if you don't), they're giving away 6 months free via AppSumo: http://buff.ly/1M2vfoR

It's a pretty decent task manager that's available basically anywhere (web-based).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may just be being a big giant dummy but how do I get Tweetbot (4) to show badges or otherwise notify me when someone replies to me or whatever. Zero entry in Settings> Notifivations and nothing in the app's settings??

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I may just be being a big giant dummy but how do I get Tweetbot (4) to show badges or otherwise notify me when someone replies to me or whatever. Zero entry in Settings> Notifivations and nothing in the app's settings??

That's really weird. I can't find it either. You'd think they'd have something for '@' mentions. I mean there's a sounds settings, but I think since it's internal to the app, it needs to be open and not in the background.

EDIT: The best I can see is setting up your twitter account in the OS settings and setting a sound there.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Feenix posted:

If I understand the question correctly, it's under Settings > Account Settings (click on your account name) > Notifications. You can set notifications separately for mentions, direct messages, retweets, etc.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah gently caress a sound. I just want to see little red badges or banners. What the poo poo.
So weird.

[Ed]

Smets posted:

If I understand the question correctly, it's under Settings > Account Settings (click on your account name) > Notifications. You can set notifications separately for mentions, direct messages, retweets, etc.

Oh. Yeah. There it is! :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 21, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How do you properly mute people in Tweetbot 4? always shows up in notifications

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
What is the least bad SSH app for iOS? I'm coming from android, where juiceSSH was great. As I understand it nothing on iOS will have mosh support, which limits how good they can be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Serverauditor's worked for me. I haven't looked for better options in a long time though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

What is the least bad SSH app for iOS? I'm coming from android, where juiceSSH was great. As I understand it nothing on iOS will have mosh support, which limits how good they can be.

Prompt 2 by Panic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which got me thinking.. is there an iOS ssh client yet that supports kerberos auth?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bobdigi posted:

Have you taken a look at TeamViewer? It's free and has apps for iOS/Android/Win/Mac.
Teamviewer is great, please nobody let that weirdo ruin it for them. I use it literally every day to remotely edit things on a media server. I haven't used it on iOS but can vouch for the program in general being quality. No freemium garbage, just one of those honor systems where you're supposed to buy a license if you use it for business purposes.

The new Waze update is annoying. There's an element of jank to this UI refresh that hasn't been there before. Seems like any time I interact with the map it un-does my "north up" lock, it often stays zoomed way out for some reason, and the centering on my car icon is wonky and inconsistent (it usually keeps the icon near the bottom of the screen). I wonder if they're optimizing it more for the 3D map, since my issues are mostly top-down 2D problems.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 21, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

Teamviewer is great, please nobody let that weirdo ruin it for them. I use it literally every day to remotely edit things on a media server. I haven't used it on iOS but can vouch for the program in general being quality. No freemium garbage, just one of those honor systems where you're supposed to buy a license if you use it for business purposes.

The new Waze update is annoying. There's an element of jank to this UI refresh that hasn't been there before. Seems like any time I interact with the map it un-does my "north up" lock, it often stays zoomed way out for some reason, and the centering on my car icon is wonky and inconsistent (it usually keeps the icon near the bottom of the screen). I wonder if they're optimizing it more for the 3D map, since my issues are mostly top-down 2D problems.

I stick with all the default settings for map orientation and stuff and as far as I've seen, the UI is a big improvement in terms of actual usability. All the regularly used elements are much bigger and fewer taps away. It's great.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The only problem I have with the new Waze app are that the report icons are tiny and the roads get too narrow at speeds above 40mph. Everything else is a direct improvement for my uses.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

tuyop posted:

I stick with all the default settings for map orientation and stuff and as far as I've seen, the UI is a big improvement in terms of actual usability. All the regularly used elements are much bigger and fewer taps away. It's great.
Yeah I gotta say the new sound options are great. I love that I can turn voice prompts on and off without leaving the map now.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Youtube is launching Youtube Red in a week which if you pay $9.99 a month you get no ads, off line video saving on mobile devices and background playing on mobile.

I think I'm gonna pay for it... I consume most of my "entertainment" through Youtube now, I don't really watch TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Youtube is launching Youtube Red in a week which if you pay $9.99 a month you get no ads, off line video saving on mobile devices and background playing on mobile.

I think I'm gonna pay for it... I consume most of my "entertainment" through Youtube now, I don't really watch TV.

Does this have a family login like Netflix? It'd be interesting for me because my kid watches certain videos on youtube hundreds of times and having an offline mode would be really good. Load it up with approved videos and let him go nuts.

Netflix needs to add offline too dammit. Pingu and Kipper cartoons are killing my monthly ISP caps :negative:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I haven't looked, but is the internet ablaze with "LOL RedTube" jokes?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

maduin posted:

I haven't looked, but is the internet ablaze with "LOL RedTube" jokes?

Absolutely.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

wooger posted:

I like vSSH, it has a decent keyboard (hey pipe is right there on top, along with slashes, colons and esc) I have all my shells 'set -o vi' so esc is essential. I also grabbed the Reflection - it looks pretty slick, but I haven't done much with it. (It's free).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Looking at the YouTube Originals list of shows, I get this feeling:

e: also, YouTube Red is $12.99 for iOS, $9.99 for Android. Google claim it's due to Apple's IAP policies, despite having the same policy (and same cut) as Apple.

Some antitrust lawyer is going to be very tetchy.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TinTower posted:

e: also, YouTube Red is $12.99 for iOS, $9.99 for Android. Google claim it's due to Apple's IAP policies, despite having the same policy (and same cut) as Apple.

Yes, but Google owns Google and gets the full $9.99 on Android. There is no "cut".

Want $9.99 on iOS too, add 30%, get... $12.99.