Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Uhh, because as Ash discovered in season one, fighting Surge, who evolved his pikachu as soon as he could, evolving your pikachu too fast keeps it from learning how to be fast and/or dodge. :goonsay:

This is, naturally, because pikachus are one of the few pokemon types that can't evolve without the use of an evolutionary stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.
I haven't watched in a while, has Pikachu learned how to dodge yet?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

WeeabooJudas posted:

I haven't watched in a while, has Pikachu learned how to dodge yet?

Dodging is a journey, not a destination. It is only as you take your last breath if you know you have learned to dodge or not.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just FYI, the second of the two animated GIFs in this post is a huge endgame spoiler so it'd be cool if you put it behind some tags.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Has Ash gone back for his loving Pidgeot yet

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just FYI, the second of the two animated GIFs in this post is a huge endgame spoiler so it'd be cool if you put it behind some tags.

I don't think that has enough context to it to really be a spoiler to anyone except people who already know what he's doing, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, removed it regardless. I seriously know next to nothing about the game, so I'll just take what people say at face value.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Pick posted:

What about Butterfree?! :argh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Squishy posted:

Foodfight is a famously terrible animated children's film where logos of various products are threatened by dreaded generic versions. I think the director bankrupted his studio by forcing them to redo scenes with the cat-lady villain to make them sexier.

it also a casablanca riff and features the generics as literal nazis stomping out the brand-names, literally jews

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

WeeabooJudas posted:

Butterfree's dead.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

1upclock posted:

Also, I've never seen a rap sheet with more than one page.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?&sort=&asc=0&adminid=&ban_month=0&ban_year=0&actfilt=-1&userid=101840&pagenumber=1

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drilldo is doing his best

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WeeabooJudas posted:

Oh sweetie, butterflies only live about nine months.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Dodging is a journey, not a destination. It is only as you take your last breath if you know you have learned to dodge or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

According to this: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash%27s_Pidgeot No, no he has not.

Butterfree died on the way back to his home planet.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pick posted:

Without watching the show for ten years I can tell you that the answer is no and he never will.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVn56EkvfnE

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I saw a collage a couple days and I can't find it anymore but Ash still doesn't know his type matchups 700 episodes in.
It was some electric gym and he kept loving up in the most monumental ways and it was hilarious.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
The better question is, if they wanted the protagonist to be constantly 10 years old and have to consistently relearn basic mechanics like type match ups, why didn't they just do what the games themselves do and get a new protagonist every time they jump to a new region? That would give them an actual reason to have to learn type match ups and show off the new Pokemon instead of literally having half a dozen fully evolved starters the protagonist could steamroll people with at any time if he stopped being a moron for 12 seconds. It would also fix the awkward "why is this kid still 10 years old after adventuring for 10 years" problem.

I'm pretty sure the person who designed the literal bag of trash Pokemon have more creativity then the writers for the anime. Heck the people who draw fan art, of garbage Pokemon as generic anime girls are still probably more creative then the writers for the anime.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's the same reason Superman comics in the 50's re-used plot-lines every few years- the audience ages out of watching and new kids come in, so nobody cares. Or at least it used to be that way before the internet.

Besides, no one wants to reset merchandising that often.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also because they keep using the new protagonists as his new travelling buddies.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

undertale fanart: -4 pts

anime club fanart: 100 pt bonus

you win this round

brotato
May 14, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Everyone who doesn't like musou games is literally a pedophile.

Less of whatever everyone else is doing, more of this plz.
Look at that tiny surly Xiahou Dun :kimchi:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

brotato posted:

Less of whatever everyone else is doing, more of this plz.
Look at that tiny surly Xiahou Dun :kimchi:

Xiahou Dun's surlyness is unmatched by all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HGH posted:

I saw a collage a couple days and I can't find it anymore but Ash still doesn't know his type matchups 700 episodes in.
It was some electric gym and he kept loving up in the most monumental ways and it was hilarious.

There was a point where the anime was at Black/White 2 content where Ash had to use his Pokedex on a Koffing, despite there being a several-year period where he saw one pretty much very day.

Like, I get that the kids watching weren't around during gen 1, but it's still silly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone post that comic about Ash's endless "journey" and how he keeps abandoning every female friend he travels with

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcHAebR9Aa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7nv7BH19Q

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vorpal Cat posted:

The better question is, if they wanted the protagonist to be constantly 10 years old and have to consistently relearn basic mechanics like type match ups, why didn't they just do what the games themselves do and get a new protagonist every time they jump to a new region? That would give them an actual reason to have to learn type match ups and show off the new Pokemon instead of literally having half a dozen fully evolved starters the protagonist could steamroll people with at any time if he stopped being a moron for 12 seconds. It would also fix the awkward "why is this kid still 10 years old after adventuring for 10 years" problem.

because it's a show for children and ash ketchum is a recognized and established piece of the brand, as opposed ot the games with their nameless protagonists, dummy

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

because it's a show for children and ash ketchum is a recognized and established piece of the brand, as opposed ot the games with their nameless protagonists, dummy

That hasn't stopped other kid shows like Yugioh, Digimon, and magical girl shows from doing it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

That hasn't stopped other kid shows like Yugioh, Digimon, and magical girl shows from doing it.

Magical girl shows, like Sentai and Rider, are iterative, not continuous. They follow similar motifs, but it's not the same show, it's the next iteration of it. Kind of like Final Fantasy or something

Edit: :goonsay:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

I guess Simpsons really did do it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Kay Kessler posted:

They were happy to drop Yugi, though, since that meant they could get away from the "Ancient Egyptian magic awakens in the modern day" plot of the original story and just go full-blown CARDZ

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Why?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hey, it says right there to not repost it. I'm telling lowtax :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
So is it intending to depict two people in some weird latex fetish cosplay pantomime horse or was it supposed to actually look like a hybrid centaur pokemon?

• Locked thread