Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

zoux posted:

It's Friday, you're blowing off work, so let's spend the day freaking out over this Ipsos model that says the GOP is going to win the presidency.

There were similar articles posted in 2012 by university professors saying they had 100% accuracy since 1980. It got widespread media coverage. What they do is change their model each election year to match random metrics since 1980 and call it a perfect model.

The authors revel in the media attention and act very confident about their predictions. After the 2012 election I emailed them at their personal emails and got no response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In addition, there's been no sign that Hillary will be able to benefit from Obama's GOTV organization. In fact, as the midterms have shown, it's entirely possible that she will not be given the keys and have to build one from scratch.
except we know that not only was she given the keys, it is up and running and the single biggest expense of her campaign.

quote:

Meanwhile, you can be sure that Republicans have learned from the failures of Orca and are working hard to make sure it works better next time.
Eh, maybe. Their response was to outsource it to the Kochs and that means a loss of SME knowledge as a new organization starts it from scratch. Might be great, probably going to be very rough as no one is kicking. The tires and prioritizing properly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If there's anything the Republicans are good at, it's learning from history.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

For your pleasure, your five minute of hate.

quote:

t has long been assumed that Henry Kissinger “supported” the Vietnam War throughout the 1960s—and that this was one of the reasons Richard Nixon offered him the job of national security adviser. This view is incorrect. As his private papers and diaries make clear, Kissinger realized by 1966 at the latest that the U.S. intervention in defense of South Vietnam was a doomed enterprise and that only a diplomatic solution would end the conflict.

quote:

After briefings in Washington before his trip, he jotted down some revealing notes. “Must realize,” he wrote, “that only possible outcome is limited one … in which VC [Viet Cong, the Communist guerrillas] have some kind of role.” Such a compromise solution was the only good option available. Outright victory in South Vietnam was unattainable because “we know nothing about nation-building.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/henry-kissinger-vietnam-diaries-213236#ixzz3okZFPuzj

Reminder: helped spike negotiations aimed at ending the War in 1968 to help Nixon's election. Also, Cambodia.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Can it be hard labor and then guillotine?

Guillotine first, then frankenstein his body to do hard labor, then re-executed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In addition, there's been no sign that Hillary will be able to benefit from Obama's GOTV organization. In fact, as the midterms have shown, it's entirely possible that she will not be given the keys and have to build one from scratch. Meanwhile, you can be sure that Republicans have learned from the failures of Orca and are working hard to make sure it works better next time.

Where are you getting this from? Most of the principals behind Obama's org has lined up behind Clinton, including a few that began rebuilding it shortly after 2012.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

There were similar articles posted in 2012 by university professors saying they had 100% accuracy since 1980. It got widespread media coverage. What they do is change their model each election year to match random metrics since 1980 and call it a perfect model.

The authors revel in the media attention and act very confident about their predictions. After the 2012 election I emailed them at their personal emails and got no response.

Fun fact, the author of that study was a professor at my university whom I worked for over the course of my final two semesters.

In a way, he probably helped by issuing his prediction in August, which likely reassured Mitt and Ryan and made them overly confident in the final 6 weeks leading up to the general.

Nice guy, but I won't ever reference him again.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

For your pleasure, your five minute of hate.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/henry-kissinger-vietnam-diaries-213236#ixzz3okZFPuzj

Reminder: helped spike negotiations aimed at ending the War in 1968 to help Nixon's election. Also, Cambodia.

Won a peace prize for that poo poo to. :eng101:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

It's Friday, you're blowing off work, so let's spend the day freaking out over this Ipsos model that says the GOP is going to win the presidency.

Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shageletic posted:

Where are you getting this from? Most of the principals behind Obama's org has lined up behind Clinton, including a few that began rebuilding it shortly after 2012.

I hadn't heard anything and was extrapolating from the fact that OFA has historically not assisted with GOTV during midterms.

If this isn't the case, then that's one less thing that is structurally working against Hillary, but the bigger issues of base motivation and who's pulling dark money remain to put Hillary at only a small structural advantage over Republicans (if not at nearly even odds) before you even factor in the largest determiners of elections (economy) that we won't even know until next year.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 16, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I hadn't heard anything and was extrapolating from the fact that OFA has historically not assisted with GOTV during midterms.

If this isn't the case, then that's one less thing that is structurally working against Hillary, but the bigger issues of base motivation and who's pulling dark money remain to put Hillary at only a small structural advantage over Republicans (if not at nearly even odds) before you even factor in the largest determiners of elections (economy) that we won't even know until next year.

Here's a start: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/emerging-clinton-campaign-draws-heavily-obama-alumni#54790

Can't dig up more exhaustive articles I've posted earlier, but they're numerous online. Basically, Clinton has been gambling on the Obama GOTV since before her campaign started. Articles about where former high up Obama campaign honchos were gonna end up were epidemic last year.

The other factors you mentioned, as you yourself have noted, are largely unknowable as of yet. But there's nothing shown that hints at Clinton's campaign being significantly handicapped compared to Obama's on a structural level.

Now if you want to talk about specific personalities close to Clinton....that's a whole nother thing....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy

That was August 1st I think.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

There's this funny guy called Bernie Sanders who's doing a great job with base motivation.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lessail posted:

Hillary supporters are just as bad as Bernie supporters

HIllary supporters, on this here forum, don't call Bernie names and use republican talking points to attack him, hth.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Welp

Nancy Reagan posted:

“The time for a woman to serve as our President has come – really, now is the time – and I think the idea of having a former First Lady as the leader of the free world is really quite a marvelous notion. I want Hillary to win. Even though I admire two of the current potential Republican nominees, I have no interest in seeing either of them lead this country.”

http://nextgenerationamerica.com/2015/04/10/nancy-reagan-endorses-clinton/

It won't mean anything, really, but it's nice to see even the Widow Reagan doesn't believe in the Republicans this time around.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kalman posted:

House Rules.

Look at 8(b)(3)(B).

Forget where I saw it reported he'd submitted such a list though.

That'd be a weird loving situation if Kevin McCarthy was on the list and then he somehow ended up acting Speaker while Republicans try and unfuck themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At least Ronnie died before he found out he was married to a RINO.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eschers Basement posted:

Welp

It won't mean anything, really, but it's nice to see even the Widow Reagan doesn't believe in the Republicans this time around.

This is good for Bitcoinernie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll be honest I thought Nancy Reagan was dead.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
It won't mean anything because it's a fake story.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/04/bloomberg-falls-for-fake-nancy-reagan-report-205356

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

I'll be honest I thought Nancy Reagan was dead.

I think spouses of world leaders stopped being buried with them sometime after Egypt.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

:( :( :( :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

I think spouses of world leaders stopped being buried with them sometime after Egypt.

The Ceausescus were buried together.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

The Ceausescus were buried together.

I meant more alive.

Edit: I don't believe a dead spouse could make the journey to valhalla

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

There's this funny guy called Bernie Sanders who's doing a great job with base motivation.

If the email defense and handshake at he debate did not convince you that the long-term game Bernie Sanders is playing is to force Clinton to the left and motivate the base to vote for her then, I'm sorry, but you've left reality behind. Bernie Sanders is playing at being a kingmaker, not the king.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eschers Basement posted:

Welp

no

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
How the gently caress did Bloomberg fall for such a blatantly false story, no way in gently caress would Nancy Reagan ever support someone like Hillary, she's a Libra rising in Jupiter's third house, come on guys.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 16, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Pretty sure the Louis couple is buried together. Well at least the two of them are next to each other is what I mean by that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Shilla kingdom (now Korea) was also buying royalty spouses next to them in a giant mound next to the kings giant mound a few hundred years later till they got destroyed by the Mongols.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today, on twitter:

Chuck Grassley's Wide Stance

joementum lives, forgets how twitter works

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/poll-nh-214885#ixzz3okiwC2TH

Politico all over the place today.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

As a senator Obama was against raising the debt ceiling

In the "let's make the President's party vote for it while we score cheap political points because gently caress those guys" way, yeah. But that's fine, that's expected political theater. It's the Suicide Caucus's unwillingness to play that game that's the heart of the issue here. If John Boehner put the Debt Limit up for a vote, nobody would really have a problem if the Freedom Caucus wanted to speak against it. Hell, they can have a 100 hundreds of screaming about it on the floor of Congress if they want to, because there are enough votes from Democrats and moderate Republicans to make sure it passes. Obama could rail against the profligacy of the Bush Administration all he wanted because the debt limit would be raised with whipped Republican votes and a handful of Dems if necessary.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

HIllary supporters, on this here forum, don't call Bernie names and use republican talking points to attack him, hth.

lol as soon as Bernie has an ambassador killed to cover up an affair, you can talk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

lol as soon as Bernie has an ambassador killed to cover up an affair, you can talk.

Whoa.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Eschers Basement posted:

Welp

You should have known this was dumb when the publish date was all the way back in April.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

That's just being a good wife and taking care of your husband. Noble attributes, if you ask me.

Edit: I thought this was a Vince Foster joke at first.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 16, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Today, on twitter:

Chuck Grassley's Wide Stance

joementum lives, forgets how twitter works

I maintain the reason Joe's been absent for so long is he drank himself into a stupor to avoid coming to grips with the fact that Donald Trump is going to win the Republican nomination.

On that note, pass the scotch.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

:prepop:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But no, you're right, these Bernie guys got their heads on straight.

• Locked thread