Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

So you'd advocate wearing protection?

The better analogy, following anti-suppressor logic, would be that sunglasses are a disguise that only a criminal would want to wear, despite the protection they provide from the sun. We must ban them so that people can see faces more clearly.

Also, I'd have advocated your dad wearing protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

silencers are illegal because they have no legitimate purpose in self defense, but do have a purpose for the criminal usage of firearms.

shooting down at the range or with your friends does not require a silencer as hearing protection is easily available in any recreational context. ...If i think about it a little, silencers wrt hearing damage makes no sense at all in a range context unless every gun is required to use a silencer. As that seems pretty drat unlikely, silencers are an ineffective means of preserving ones hearing.

i assume silencers are not widely used by the police and military for the reason of being awkward and annoying

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Craptacular posted:

The better analogy, following anti-suppressor logic, would be that sunglasses are a disguise that only a criminal would want to wear, despite the protection they provide from the sun. We must ban them so that people can see faces more clearly.

Also, I'd have advocated your dad wearing protection.

Don't hold me or my kin at fault for your...craptacular analogies :shrug:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

silencers are illegal because they have no legitimate purpose in self defense, but do have a purpose for the criminal usage of firearms.

shooting down at the range or with your friends does not require a silencer as hearing protection is easily available in any recreational context. ...If i think about it a little, silencers wrt hearing damage makes no sense at all in a range context unless every gun is required to use a silencer. As that seems pretty drat unlikely, hearing protection is the only plausible defense while range shooting.

i assume silencers are not widely used by the police and military for the reason of being awkward and annoying

But what if we banned everything in the world? That would be pretty messed up, huh? I took Logic in college.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

shooting down at the range or with your friends does not require a silencer as hearing protection is easily available in any recreational context. ...If i think about it a little, silencers wrt hearing damage makes no sense at all in a range context unless every gun is required to use a silencer. As that seems pretty drat unlikely, silencers are an ineffective means of preserving ones hearing.

I was going to go through this post and list all the incorrect assertions, but i don't want to effort post in a troll thread.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Name even one. You don't need any sources or graphs, just take 30 seconds to dash off reasons why my short rear end post is wrong.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That suppressors are illegal?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

shooting down at the range or with your friends does not require a silencer as hearing protection is easily available in any recreational context. ...If i think about it a little, silencers wrt hearing damage makes no sense at all in a range context unless every gun is required to use a silencer. As that seems pretty drat unlikely, hearing protection is the only plausible defense while range shooting.

Oh good, the the snake's tail has ended up back in its mouth.

Suppressors are illegal require hoop jumping and a tax stamp to purchase because of legislation from nearly 100 years ago.

Their only purpose in the criminal use of firearms is the same as their non-criminal use: They take a gunshot form pain-inducingly loud to merely causing-long-term-hearing-damage loud.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Name even one. You don't need any sources or graphs, just take 30 seconds to dash off reasons why my short rear end post is wrong.

If only there some some activity where people used guns and needed to hear at the same time. Too bad those don't exist.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They're illegal in 9 states.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Not if you have the correct license <3

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Hey, and sodomy is illegal in 12 states. Coincidence?

I sometimes forget about the repressive states, living in one that allows both sodomy and hunting with a suppressor.

Edit: Or even sodomy WHILE hunting with a suppressor. As long as it's on private land.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If you're trying to reduce accidental shootings, you have a moral imperative to fight for the legalization of suppressors, as less ambient noise will reduce the chance of range and hunting accidents.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
However we feel about firearms regulation, I think we can all agree that gun fanboys whining about restricted access to suppressors is really the thing that, beyond anything else, pegs them as comically self-absorbed to the point of justifying any and all contempt for them.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezzor posted:

However we feel about pro-choice regulation, I think we can all agree that pro-choice fanboys whining about restricted access to abortions is really the thing that, beyond anything else, pegs them as comically self-absorbed to the point of justifying any and all contempt for them.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

various cheeses posted:

Did you click that link?
Here's the rundown. Is it okay to shoot a guy then?

There's literall nothing that a gun would have changed in this scenario, the man was taken by surprise before the invasion even began and the women were held at gunpoint from the get go. I'm unimpressed, try again maybe ?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cans are awesome because they let you shoot otherwise obnoxiously loud rifles in your driveway without annoying the neighbors :byobear:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, i'm starting a gofund.me to place all gun grabbers in an elaborate hidden camera prank show where they are forced to shoot an attacker or "die" to scare some common sense in to them. I'm going to need about 13.7 billion USD. What do you think?

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 16, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Add some spaceships and I think you've got a winner there.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ozmiander posted:

Guys, i'm starting a gofund.me to place all gun grabbers in an elaborate hidden camera prank show where they are forced to shoot an attack or "die" to scare some common sense in to them. I'm going to need about 13.7 billion USD. What do you think?

I heard that science fiction is big money now. Good business sense OP

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Suppressors are also ineffective for the purpose of criminal usage of firearms because they don't actually silence the gun, they just make it slightly quieter. That's why they're called suppressors and not silencers. And you still need hearing protection even with them.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

There's literall nothing that a gun would have changed in this scenario, the man was taken by surprise before the invasion even began and the women were held at gunpoint from the get go. I'm unimpressed, try again maybe ?

He was able to escape before his family was murdered.

Wouldn't it be better for him to get a gun and confront the burglars before they raped and killed his family, rather than leave the house? What would you have done?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Wouldn't it be better for him to get a gun and confront the burglars before they raped and killed his family, rather than leave the house? What would you have done?
He would have had a frank and productive dialog about the patriarchy's attitudes towards a rape culture, given the offenders some of his money and food, and then sent them on their way, refreshed with a new worldview.

Alternately, withdrawn his katana and shown those gun otaku what an honorable fight looks like.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

He was able to escape before his family was murdered.

Ok, so he gets a gun, goes back, and immediately gets shot to death. His family is still raped and killed.

What has improved in this scenario?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/eyU6iGjfK1c

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Ok, so he gets a gun, goes back, and immediately gets shot to death. His family is still raped and killed.

Well, for one, he/they would have at least had a loving chance.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Actually, no they wouldn't. Because there is a reason the military is not handing out suppressors willy-nilly to infantry, and its not because of maintenance (otherwise they wouldn't have chosen the M-16/M-4 as their main combat arms if maintenance was a concern.)

It might have MORE to do that they don't view it as a safety item.
There are a variety of reasons that the military doesn't issue suppressors to line infantry. First and foremost, the M-4/M-16 is built to a price point, like everything else privates get issued. Even a fairly basic suppressor involves a few hundred dollars in materials and machining, whereas paid off tooling and economies of scale have made the current A2 flash hider cost a few dollars, at most. The M-4 would be undeniably better if every one came equipped with a match trigger and fired custom-loaded Sierra Match King ammunition, modifications that the Special Operations groups who roll with suppressors also do thanks to their Scrooge McDuck money pit. In addition to making raiding forces harder to locate, suppressors reduce the blast and flash when you and four of your closest friends are all shooting short barreled carbines indoors. In addition, most hearing damage in the military comes from chronic exposure to generators, running engines, riding in Helos/IFVs/C-130s, and other occupational sources. The hearing loss during firefights is as likely to come from artillery, grenades, rockets and other sources as small arms, so it's likely that the cost savings in hearing loss don't nearly balance out the costs of having yet another controlled item for soldiers to carry around, lose, and damage. The calculus will most certainly be different for a private owner who doesn't consider economies of scale.

Police don't issue them to patrol officers because they rarely fire their guns, but it's not unheard of for SWAT teams to use them.

Just because an Army grunt doesn't get issued a two-stage competition trigger, 16x Schmidt & Bender scope, or suppressor doesn't mean that a recreational shooter who feels the need for such things should be prohibited from buying them.

CommieGIR posted:

You can keep shifting the goal posts all you want, but it doesn't change that a suppressor is viewed by people in the professional field of arms as nothing more than a means to silence a gunshot to prevent it being heard in order to hide an action.

CommieGIR posted:

A suppressor does very little to hide muzzle flash.
What exactly did you do in the military? Because you don't seem to know much about how guns work. Suppressors are extremely effective in eliminating flash, even on weapons already equipped with a flash hider.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm sorry I an debating in D&D? Because this isn't TFR?
You're not, though. You've already staked out a position that guns don't have positive value and that as such you see no issue with regulating them. Is there anything anyone can say that would change your mind?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 16, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

If he had his gun on him at all times he wouldn't have needed to leave to get it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

They didn't know he escaped, he has the element of surprise and the upper hand. Why do you immediately assume he would make no difference?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Craptacular posted:

Also re: suppressors and crime, most firearm crime in the US is with handguns, as they're more easily concealable and transportable. So why the resistance to making a firearm longer and heavier by adding a suppressor? It's very difficult to carry a suppressed pistol concealed because of this. As a CCWing gunhaver/suppressor enthusiast, I've tried.

This is a good point, its handguns which should be banned. At least shotguns and hunting rifles have are justifiable for reasons other than "my dicks a bit on the small side".

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Hey Tezzor, where are you from anyway?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
The amount of time gun owners spend thinking about what if murder scenarios is starting to seem like maybe they are all just a little unstable? Maybe it's the constant fascination with weapons?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

This is a good point, its handguns which should be banned. At least shotguns and hunting rifles have are justifiable for reasons other than "my dicks a bit on the small side".

I don't know. My dick is pretty average, but most of my pistols are tiny, except for the big heavy black(powder) one. What does that say?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

They didn't know he escaped, he has the element of surprise and the upper hand. Why do you immediately assume he would make no difference?

Because real life is not like video games. :ssh:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

I don't know. My dick is pretty average, but most of my pistols are tiny, except for the big heavy black(powder) one. What does that say?

You're a masochist because gently caress loading black powder pistols.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Because real life is not like video games. :ssh:

You are just loving adorable.

"He doesn't need a gun and his family should just get killed and raped, because there's no way he could have shot any of them"

Also, I'd be HAPPY to be killed trying to stop someone from raping/killing my family if the alternative is "got away and called the cops" while it was happening.

So gently caress you, I guess?

Plinkey posted:

You're a masochist because gently caress loading black powder pistols.
I don't know, having to hold the balls just right while I ram them in to the hole is kind of fun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

You are just loving adorable.

"He doesn't need a gun and his family should just get killed and raped, because there's no way he could have shot any of them"

Also, I'd be HAPPY to be killed trying to stop someone from raping/killing my family if the alternative is "got away and called the cops" while it was happening.

So gently caress you, I guess?

Concussion victims: well known for the their proficiency in stealth ambush tactics and shooting accuracy.

EDIT

I'm not saying he doesn't need a gun. I'm saying gun or not it most likely doesn't affect the outcome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

What exactly did you do in the military? Because you don't seem to know much about how guns work.
You're not, though. You've already staked out a position that guns don't have positive value and that as such you see no issue with regulating them. Is there anything anyone can say that would change your mind?

As long as you treat it as a black and white issue and ignore any grey areas of gun control?

Nope.

Armyman25 posted:

Hey Tezzor, where are you from anyway?

Oh poo poo, Armyman25 is here. This is going to get good :allears:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ozmiander posted:

Just for comparison for the subject here are some facts how silencers are treated in Finland.

Silencers are not considered to be "parts of a firearm", that means that anyone can build one, own one and buy or sell one without any restrictions. Just as grips or scopes.

There are no special taxes on silencers, of course for everything you buy the 22% VAT is included.

Silencers have been found useful in preventing noise-pollution of shooting ranges that are near urban areas. Several studies have been made on subject should silencers be obligatory. One study made by State Department of Labor strongly suggests people to use silencers to prevent damage to their ears. (that state department handles issues of work safety etc.) One result of those studies is that the new assault-rifle of Finnish military is capable of fitting a silencer.

That and suppressors are so much cheaper Finland. When you don't have to worry about a two hundred dollar tax and a 6-13 month wait, you don't need a ultra durable can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Concussion victims: well known for the their proficiency in stealth ambush tactics and shooting accuracy.
Honestly, what's it like being so retarded that you think that not being able to at least try to stop someone form killing your family is OK?

OK, saw your edit. You may be right, but at least he/they would have had a chance.

• Locked thread