Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

okay okay okay...

let me catch my breath here...

phew...

are you saying that pcs can play music now? with a full-screen player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade-installing-automatically-on-some-windows-7-8-systems/

Windows 10 upgrade installing automatically on some Windows 7, 8 systems

Microsoft says that the optional update was enabled by mistake.
i can absolutely believe that this is a thing that really happened, but not if the only source is arse technical

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dubstep Jesus posted:

With all these Macs, what does IBM use for Office documents?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Symphony

:kiddo:

quote:

IBM discontinued development of Lotus Symphony in January 2012 with the final release of version 3.0.1, moving future development effort to Apache OpenOffice, and donating the source code to the Apache Software Foundation.

:geno:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cremnob posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/15/ibm-mac-support/

this is the IT janitor's worst nightmare

well yeah, they are probably going to start cutting support jobs since people can't run the PROOF_OBUMMER_IS_A_SEKRET_MOOSLIM.JPG.EXE files they get from their grandma anymore

orange sky
May 7, 2007

cremnob posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/15/ibm-mac-support/

this is the IT janitor's worst nightmare

"the company’s VP of Workplace-as-a-Service Fletcher Previn"

argh, gently caress the entire world

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dubstep Jesus posted:

With all these Macs, what does IBM use for Office documents?

openoffice

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Still, speaking to Digiday, marketing agency MCD Partners said that the partnership between the PC makers felt desperate: "Campaigns in which multiple competitive brands with common vested interests come together rarely succeed." Ted Florea from brand agency PNYC suggested that the tagline itself is misguided. "Not knowing what a PC does is a failure of all the players involved to stay relevant," he said.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

"Not knowing what a PC does is a failure of all the players involved to stay relevant,"

:drat:

this is too long for a thread title, right?

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Wheany posted:

okay okay okay...

let me catch my breath here...

phew...

are you saying that pcs can play music now? with a full-screen player?

lenovo? seriously lenovo? with how much poo poo they've pulled?

with lenovo though they forgot to add, "why be scared of the NSA? we got your spied on needs covered."

then again you can say the same poo poo about microsoft at this rate.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

univbee posted:

:drat:

this is too long for a thread title, right?

Microsoft: a failure of all the players involved

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

carry on then posted:

mods

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Korean Boomhauer posted:

The Xbox app for Windows 10 will consume gigabytes of memory on your PC if you have any Win32 games (non -Windows Store games) installed on your PC that have been identified as games or added by you in the Xbox app. Closing the Xbox app will release your PC’s memory.

is it keeping a video clip buffer in memory? I noticed an overlay at launch about being able to record clips but didn't pay much attention

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

carry on then posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fullscreen music

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only thing more desperate is a "get the facts out" campaign like domino's did

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The message is timeless: Avoid The Noid

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

the only thing more desperate is a "get the facts out" campaign like domino's did

Terrorist jack in the box after ecoil concerns

http://youtu.be/N-rgqDhnLoU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

that actually worked though

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
this is the equivalent to the pistachio cartel using the WInklevoss twins to sell more pistachios to people who don't give a poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pistachio disguisey

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

theultimo posted:

Terrorist jack in the box after ecoil concerns

http://youtu.be/N-rgqDhnLoU

lol

one hell of a rerebrand

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what in the gently caress is this https://www.earnbymicrosoft.com/

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

Credit card rewards by Microsoft

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

when it fails next year they can burn the servers and their other failures and store the ashes in the new Urn by Microsoft

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

univbee posted:

when it fails next year they can burn the servers and their other failures and store the ashes in the new Urn by Microsoft

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

wow those are terrible

I'm pretty sure microsoft has the worst marketing roi of any company ever

really? because the microsoft surface advertising made tim cook scramble to create a rival product in the ipad maxi

seems like they're effective at influencing apple, if not consumers

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is it keeping a video clip buffer in memory? I noticed an overlay at launch about being able to record clips but didn't pay much attention
i always had their overlay poo poo itself after the steam overlay popped up and said "you can use the steam overlay by hitting [key combo]"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stymie posted:

really? because the microsoft surface advertising made tim cook scramble to create a rival product in the ipad maxi

seems like they're effective at influencing apple, if not consumers
the base premise of marketing is that it increases revenue

microsoft spent two billion earth dollars on marketing at the original surface launch then took a $900mil writedown on unsold inventory, they gave the nfl another $500 mil, they've spent at least $4 bil on windows pho, there was the whole bill gates/seinfeld thing, $4-5 bil on windows 8, another couple on bing dubstep ads, several billion on xbox

that's probably more than the total R&D+marketing costs of the entire ipad line to date

almost all microsoft's recent revenue growth has been in office and server/cloud stuff and I'd be surprised if their enterprise marketing budget is more than mid-9 figgies

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 16, 2015

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the billy grates/seinfeld thing was for my personal pleasure and I love them for it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
WHAAATT's the deal with PC??
         /

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
microsoft desperately wants to be a consumer brand because there's a lot of money to be made with it, and probably because they're terrified of the prospect of people just bringing in their own laptops or tablets into work and not using a workstation

the only problem is that they'll always be associated with your weird, lovely, slow office PC that doesn't work right

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space-Pope posted:

microsoft desperately wants to be a consumer brand because there's a lot of money to be made with it, and probably because they're terrified of the prospect of people just bringing in their own laptops or tablets into work and not using a workstation

the only problem is that they'll always be associated with your weird, lovely, slow office PC that doesn't work right

but we made that ad where the kids were dancing with the dubsteps, what else can we do???

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
well, they kind of had an in with the younger crowds with the xbox 360. but then they had to put out a new one, and managed to gently caress it up spectacularly in pretty much every conceivable way

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

but we made that ad where the kids were dancing with the dubsteps, what else can we do???

more clicking in please

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Space-Pope posted:

well, they kind of had an in with the younger crowds with the xbox 360. but then they had to put out a new one, and managed to gently caress it up spectacularly in pretty much every conceivable way

It went downhill in 2010 with kinect

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the 360 was the first thing even approaching a successful consumer product so every group got their hooks in for the follow up which is why they ended up picking The Wrong RAM

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thanks Ants posted:

more clicking in please

heh yeah like I am going to listen to joe blow internet. show up to a focus group and we'll talk.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

the 360 was the first thing even approaching a successful consumer product so every group got their hooks in for the follow up which is why they ended up picking The Wrong RAM

tbf from what it sounds like sony made the decision to double the ram at literally the last possible moment

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
microsoft should have included a slot for a ram expansion pak honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

tbf from what it sounds like sony made the decision to double the ram at literally the last possible moment

It was pure luck yeah, days before the gddr ram bom dropped in half

• Locked thread