Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

HF Funtime

quote:

Anhydrous HF leaked from the liquid valve as two workers were on top preparing to connect a Anhydrous Hydroflouric ISO Tank for offloading. They accidentally fully opened the quarter turn valve. An estimated 8 tons of HF was released. 5 people including the 2 workers perished, 18 responders, workers, reporter wound-up in the hospital, almost 3000 villagers from 2 villages downwind of the facility were treated for irritation, exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EpE3JHHoaI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2011/08/after_a_night_of_tension_confu.html

More HF goodness..

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

for fucks sake WD40 isn't a lubricant, it's just a water displacer, it's inferior to actual lubes for any lubricating application :argh:

personally I like white lithium grease, that stuff's pretty good

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Drove up to a location to see this.

Note the rig was also moving while he was climbing in there. Also no hard hat or fall arrest harnes

Removed because I'm stupid and broke tables

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 16, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Until you timg that, I'll take your word for it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Darth Freddy posted:

Note the rig was also moving while he was climbing in there. Also no hard hat or fall arrest harness.

I like how you found broken tables in an well field.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Note the rig was also moving while he was climbing in there. Also no hard hat or fall arrest harness.

:wth:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Adding a letter 'l' to the end of the identity string is superior to timg for imgur pictures.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

OhsH posted:

So uh, how careful should i be with this bottle of 12 % hf acid i use for work??
In all seriousness: Do you have a HF treatment & spill kits available and do you know how to use them?

Angela Christine posted:

Adding a letter 'l' to the end of the identity string is superior to timg for imgur pictures.
Don't see what's superior about it. An timg I can restore to the original size, or have it fill the browser window.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like being able to click to somewhat-embiggen, or click the little size label to toally-embiggen, both in-place rather than in a new tab or navigating to imgur, though.

Today I saw an elderly man wandering around on his peaked roof blowing leaves off with a leaf blower. He had no safety equipment whatsoever, and appeared to be alone.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Raygereio posted:

In all seriousness: Do you have a HF treatment & spill kits available and do you know how to use them?

Not in this work van

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Today I saw an elderly man wandering around on his peaked roof blowing leaves off with a leaf blower. He had no safety equipment whatsoever, and appeared to be alone.

Stay safe blower man.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

OhsH posted:

Not in this work van

oh it's in a vehicle even better

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

oh it's in a vehicle even better

Carpet cleaning can be fun when i know what i am working with

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

OhsH posted:

Not in this work van

How many bodies do you have to dispose of? Pass my hommage to the Godfather.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

buttcoinbrony posted:

12% is pretty strong so don't try to chug it all at once, and make sure you've got some food in your stomach.

That's not what you do with hydrofluoric acid.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

I know what i am doing tonight :getin:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

OhsH posted:

Carpet cleaning can be fun when i know what i am working with

It's not a particularly strong acid in typical aqueous solution, it's the fluoride ion's ability to penetrate tissue and wreck everything along the way that's the problem. Transporting something like this in a vehicle only increases risk of spill, especially if safety considerations are not strictly followed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raygereio posted:

Don't see what's superior about it. An timg I can restore to the original size, or have it fill the browser window.

Leperflesh posted:

I like being able to click to somewhat-embiggen, or click the little size label to toally-embiggen, both in-place rather than in a new tab or navigating to imgur, though.

Personal preference of course, but the imgur 'large thumbnail' (that's what the L does) is easily big enough to see the important part of most pictures and won't break any but the very flimsiest of tables.

Timg is usually too small to see the important part of the picture. So as you're reading the thread you'll usually have to stop and click on the timg to embiggen it. Timg is fine for quoted images, because there the job is just to remind you what image the quoted poster was talking about, but it is usually much too small to be useful actually looking at the picture.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
From the SH/SC ticket thread:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Smoke came in today...

We thought the server room windows looked dirty, but on closer inspection our data center was filling with smoke. Ran in with fire extinguishers to kill whatever it was before the fire suppression system sunk our whole operation.

It was coming in from the dehumidifier on the wall which hasn't been turned on in 8 years. Odd, especially because the smoke didn't smell like burning and was white instead of black.

Somebody knocked on the tech room door and said the men's bathroom was full of smoke too (no idea why this falls under tech's purview but it seems the norm for this thread). It was coming in from a water heater in a closet, was thick, but again was white and didn't smell bad.

Fire alarm is pulled, everybody evacuates, but the fire department doesn't send a truck. Just a fire marshal and a city worker. Turns out the city was doing sewer leak testing by forcing smoke in the pipes, and the traps in our building were dry letting the sewer smoke come right in. The city points out that we have a much larger problem that before the test we've probably been letting sewer gas in to our building for who knows how long.

City also says they came by and personally spoke to somebody in our building to let them know the test was happening, to make sure the traps had water, and not panic if there was smoke. Reviewing the security video footage, the city worker came in, dropped a flier on the unattended front desk, sat down for 5 minutes, then walked out without speaking to anybody. No word on if the city is going to charge us for the emergency call but I think we're covered if they do.

The dehumidifier has a water drain on it that wasn't sealed properly when it was shut off, which is why we had smoke in our data center.

The end result was that we had a good fire safety drill and exposed the fact that we are likely taking in sewer gas for who knows how long.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
What purpose necessitates driving around in a van full of HF?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

c0ldfuse posted:

What purpose necessitates driving around in a van full of HF?

"Full of" might be an overstatement and i already said i clean carpets :sigh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OhsH posted:

"Full of" might be an overstatement and i already said i clean carpets :sigh:

What the hell do you use HF for in cleaning carpets? It's usually used to etch glass, to clean oxides off of stainless steal, to process hydrocarbons, and so forth. It's not usually turned to for stain removal, you'd want oxidizers or organic solvents for that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

What the hell do you use HF for in cleaning carpets? It's usually used to etch glass, to clean oxides off of stainless steal, to process hydrocarbons, and so forth. It's not usually turned to for stain removal, you'd want oxidizers or organic solvents for that.

In case someone stiffs them on the bill.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Big Steveo posted:

I have been doing a lot of work recently on 33KV and 66KV ACCB's (Alternating Current Circuit Breakers), modifying the protection on them - notably Pilot Wire Protection between substations.

Pilot Wire works by monitoring the current on both ends of a High Voltage feeder via Current Transformers and use a fibre optic connection between substations. Two relays "talk" to each other to compare their values and operate the ACCB on set parameters. As you said the ACCB's rely on a separate 120v DC supply to supply the control circuits - typically; Spring Charging Motor, Closing Circuit, Tripping Circuit 1, Tripping Circuit 2, SCADA circuit. each circuit is individually fused. Most newer ACCB's have more than one trip coil as a backup if the first one fails.

The work I have been doing has also added a MTA (Multiple Trip Automatic) relay which is a relay that pick up and trips multiple ACCB's within substation - essentially tripping out all possible sources of supply to that ACCB.

So in a scenario that a ACCB loses control power and remains closed (Substation B), power will still flow through it nicely - sends an alarm to the operating centre saying control power is lost. If a fault situation occurs, earth fault for example (fallen wire), a command to trip out the feed comes from Substation A to Substation B. The ACCB at Substation A will trip fine - however Substation B can not trip and is still technically feeding a fault.After a predetermined time if the ACCB at Substation B still fails to trip, the MTA is activated and trips all the ACCB's inside Substation B that supplies power to the faulty ACCB.

I have been apart of upgrading the protection in about 13 consecutive substations, replacing electromechanical relays to electronic. Testing is very stringent and the most satisfying one to witness is to remove a tripping supply from a ACCB and simulate a fault (MTA test). Listening to 7 33KV ACCB's all go BANG at the same time is fun.

So thankfully, not broomstick is required.

I did see that where some more critical systems have backup trip relays with backup power sources. I've also seen similar differential setups for things like motors (current into the stator = current going out of the stator into the wye point) and big transformers (accounting for phase shift and turn ratio, current into transformer = current out of transformer). It's neat stuff.

One of the weirder things we have too is this zone control where you have a relay on a main providing power to a bus, and a bunch of relays watching the power flowing out of the bus. If you get a fault on one of the branches, the relay controlling that branch breaker that should interrupt the fault sends a signal to the relay controlling the main breaker to say "Hey, I see 15,000 amps going through my breaker, you probably see this too. I will try and stop this, don't open". If the main relay doesn't see that command, it's all like "Oh crap there's a fault on the bus I gotta open." I think that lets you set the protection much tighter on the main breaker that protects the bus so it doesn't need to wait around to see if something downstream stops the fault or not.

You might not be allowed to answer this, but are you using SEL (Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories) relays?

Because GE Multilins are flimsy pieces of crap. I've seen so many issues with GE meters and relays it's not funny.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

personally I like white lithium grease, that stuff's pretty good

Don't forget contact cleaner. For... well... contractors.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 16, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Rust removal!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

OSHA doesn't apply in this case but I think this is the appropriate place.

The implement dealer came out to work on my father in law's combine yesterday. Tech was welding on the head with no-one else around and burned down several acres of unpicked corn. FIL called 911 three times, never did get an answer and had to drive to town to find someone on the fire department.

God I miss the farm, that's more excitement than I've seen in a long time.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Phanatic posted:

The Ir-192 ones are spooky poo poo. There's like almost a half-dozen orphan source incidents where the Ir-192 source breaks off and gets lost and some poor dude finds it and sticks it in his pocket.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1101_web.pdf

At the time of the incident, the source contained 1.4 terabecquerels of Ir-192. Guy took a 15 Gray dose to his femur, 25-30 Grays to his sciatic nerve. The report's fascinating, but also chock full of NMS medical imagery of massive tissue necrosis.

Radiation is creepy, the whole concept of a small pea/pencil sized thing sitting somewhere on a site is actually killing everything anywhere nearby combined with the fact it doesn't cause any pain or any sensation at all until a while after the incident, when you can be told you took x radiation you're now very likely dead, even though you feel fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Tech was welding on the head with no-one else around and burned down several acres of unpicked corn.

I got a weather warning yesterday saying that dry weather and high winds could lead to fires out in corn and soy bean fields. Someone should have subscribed to some weather alerts!

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

Three-Phase posted:

You might not be allowed to answer this, but are you using SEL (Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories) relays?

Because GE Multilins are flimsy pieces of crap. I've seen so many issues with GE meters and relays it's not funny.

Don't forget contact cleaner. For... well... contractors.

Nope, we use the Schneider Micom P521 relays for our pilot wire. Very reliable.

http://www.schneider-electric.com/en/product-range/60745-micom-p521/

And for when we need overcurrent and directional overcurrent (not always needed except when we have a bulk supply point) we use the Schneider Micom P127.
http://www.schneider-electric.com/en/product-range/60758-micom-p120--p121--p122--p123--p125--p126-and-p127
This relay takes input from CTs on the feeder and a VT inside the substation to determine an overcurrent.

When these two relays are used together they each use a different tripping coil inside the accb. The P127 is placed on one end of a feeder only where the P521 is on both ends.

We are in the process of replacing a lot of GEC Cag39 and Westinghouse C07 electromechanical relays with the P521 & P127.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

OSHA doesn't apply in this case but I think this is the appropriate place.

The implement dealer came out to work on my father in law's combine yesterday. Tech was welding on the head with no-one else around and burned down several acres of unpicked corn. FIL called 911 three times, never did get an answer and had to drive to town to find someone on the fire department.

God I miss the farm, that's more excitement than I've seen in a long time.

Why the gently caress was the combine in the field when it was being welded on?

When I used to do grass seed farming [which becomes dry as gently caress in the summer heat], whenever I'd break any machinery, and I did a few times, I'd just drive it off to the side of the field, into gravel or dirt, and we'd work on it there. The only time I really ever had to do maintenance that had a significant fire risk like that was grinding off cutting teeth on the swathers, which threw fountains of sparks everywhere, but we did that on cement-floored garages.

I mean, unless the combine was so broken it was undriveable, but I guess I'd assume they'd put something down to protect the surrounding corn from the sparks/heat, or... poo poo, I don't know, tow it out?

Perhaps I assume too much, this being the OSHA thread.

e. Maybe I misread and they were out of the field, but still managed to catch the field on fire?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

OhsH posted:

Rust removal!

Huh. I managed to royally gently caress my carpet up with metal (lots of late night hand-filing and sawing in front of Netflix) to the point where steam-cleaning turned it crazy shades of red and green from the iron n copper oxides, we just binned it as a lost cause. It wasn't worth saving in the first place but I always kind of wondered how you'd tackle that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnets?

I mean really, how often can "carpet filled with shards of metal" be a problem, and how is washing a carpet with hydroflouric acid going to help anyway? It'd just polish up those metal particles real good.

I think if you sometimes do rust removal and hfl is your best option maybe it should be stored safely somewhere and only put in the truck when a customer specifically asks for rust removal and you decide using one of the most dangerous acids in the world to clean it up is the only option then maybe you bring that poo poo along, and charge a fuckload of money to do it.

That's way too much to ask, isn't it. Just chuck a jug of 12% HFl into the van and don't worry about it. They sold it to you, so how dangerous could it be?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
One of my friends started working on a rig in dock as a safety guy recently and I recognised it from this thread as the same one that had the explosive decompression on it years ago. We had a really good conversation about it and holy poo poo it sounds loving horrifying when told from people who were there to see

Honestly though, voted 5 would do again outside of the gore this is some top class informative rowdy trout business.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
I cleaned carpets for Sears and we never used any chemicals because our boss was cheap as gently caress. Even when we sold Scotchguard or pet deodorizer it was all just watered down poo poo that smelled strong enough that no one would question.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
HF in consumer carpet cleaner sounded pretty far fetched, so Google did not disappoint when it turned up Whisk Rust Stain Remover, an HF solution between 1-2% available at grocery, mass merchants, and other retailers nationwide. Just like they used to make in 1947! SDS

Although I'm kind of interested in what the guy posting actually has, 12% sounds like it'd be a little beefier for the carpet's integrity. I wouldn't doubt a story about the owner knowing a guy and getting pickling grade HF on the side.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

zedprime posted:

HF in consumer carpet cleaner sounded pretty far fetched, so Google did not disappoint when it turned up Whisk Rust Stain Remover, an HF solution between 1-2% available at grocery, mass merchants, and other retailers nationwide. Just like they used to make in 1947! SDS

Although I'm kind of interested in what the guy posting actually has, 12% sounds like it'd be a little beefier for the carpet's integrity. I wouldn't doubt a story about the owner knowing a guy and getting pickling grade HF on the side.

Hahaha, we sell that stuff in housewares/cleaning supplies where I work.

Also I liked

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

quote:

copper oxides

:ninja:

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Giant scaffolding collapse in Houston today. I guess when one section fails it all fails. The video is pretty amazing for just how much collapsed scaffolding there is.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/us/houston-scaffolding-collapse/index.html

https://twitter.com/KHOUJackie/status/655133055061856256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Your smartphone and a piece of black electrical tape can make a decent gieger counter. Worried about your testicles being cooked and your bone marrow destroyed? There's an App for that!.

This is not getting enough love.

This is awesome!

• Locked thread