Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Magmarashi posted:

Real life doesn't have a 1-10 scale representing your 'stats'.

I can't believe saying that was necessary.

ICE CREAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

There is already a common objective measurement of intelligence, I don't see how it's such a stretch to just imagine the equivalent IQ score of "4 INT".

IQ is a pretty garbage measurement of 'intelligence' actually. It shifts around too much to be a standard and is VERY prone testing bias region to region.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You get the same dialog option if you have high luck, too.

There's a small difference. If you have high luck your guy just makes a lucky guess. If you're under 3 int you belch it out like a drooling dunce. The idea that my first reaction to being approached by a security robot is just just scream ICE CREAM! at the top of lungs is hilarious to me, and not in a lolwackyrandom way, but because my guy is a moron.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Merry Magpie posted:

What is irony?

What is jokes?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Magmarashi posted:

IQ is a pretty garbage measurement of 'intelligence' actually. It shifts around too much to be a standard and is VERY prone testing bias region to region.

That's nice but not relevant to what you and I are talking about, unless you think the reason there are flaws in IQ testing is that humans can't actually be placed on a spectrum of intelligence. What you implied is that anyone who can imagine some mapping from a 1-10 rating to a real world human intelligence spectrum was confusing reality and videogames.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

That's nice but not relevant to what you and I are talking about, unless you think the reason there are flaws in IQ testing is that humans can't actually be placed on a spectrum of intelligence. What you implied is that anyone who can imagine some mapping from a 1-10 rating to a real world human intelligence spectrum was confusing reality and videogames.

No thanks, I'm good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

7c Nickel posted:

What is jokes?

Speach check failed.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Does getting a season pass on Steam mean I get all the future DLC or just some of them?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bitter fly posted:

Does getting a season pass on Steam mean I get all the future DLC or just some of them?

yes

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
IQ tests and INT scores in RPG games is the hill you guys choose to die on?

I actually never played Fallout 3. I watched a roommate play Fallout 3 from time to time and it never seemed that amazing. I loved the first two games but didn't get back into the series until New Vegas. I really love New Vegas. From the marketing it seems they're trying to capture some of that New Vegas magic and cram it into Fallout 4. Really got my fingers crossed. Also, am I the only person that can't stand Three Dog?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Three Dog is a judgemental douchebag.

Mr. New Vegas on the other hand is a total gentleman who doesn't broadcast my every move and doesn't call me an rear end in a top hat.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

IQ tests and INT scores in RPG games is the hill you guys choose to die on?

This is a neat saying, I'm going to steal it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Funky Valentine posted:

Three Dog is a judgemental douchebag.

I still don't see how he was "fightin' the good fight".

And three dog is black, talk about racist.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Tenzarin posted:

These are the level names for intelligence in F1-2.

The average for the Special system is 5. You always start all these games with all 5 stats, but you can take away from one to add to another when making a character.

How is it any different from making a character with 1 strength? You can easily get away cheesing all these games with 1 con and 1 luck to make yourself the smartest strongest man in the wasteland. I guess you can add agility too that now since the change from f2-f3 has made agility a "meh" stat.
In Fallout 4 all of your stats start out at 1 and you're given 21 points to allocate.

That's enough points to raise all stats evenly to 4.

When you level up you can choose to level up a stat instead of getting a perk.

Edit: This is why I say stat levels probably aren't going to carry the same meaning as in previous games. They might represent how far above average you are instead. :shrug:

Inverness fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 17, 2015

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

You need intelligence for that one.

On a side note of mods, there going to be so much dog sex and you know it. It will be disgusting. It will make skyrim mods look like disney land.

Why is that your first thought when you find out that there's a dog in a game?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Inverness posted:

In Fallout 4 all of your stats start out at 1 and you're given 21 points to allocate.

That's enough points to raise all stats evenly to 4.

When you level up you can choose to level up a stat instead of getting a perk.

That makes me scared about perks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dongicus posted:

Why is that your first thought when you find out that there's a dog in a game?

:nws: http://www.loverslab.com/ :nws:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I can understand wanting to put in cameos as fan service but just pulling a character from one game and dropping them in another with no pretext is just lazy. People were legitimately sad when it was announced that Three Dog would not be coming back; the only time I ever heard any of his inane banter was when I walked past a radio that was tuned to GNR and I honestly don't know how he generated such a fan based with what was probably less than 3 minutes of vapid blathering through the whole game.

I remains to be seen if bossy pants Madison Li ever turns up in Boston since her closing video mentioned she got fed up of all the shenanigans in DC and decided to make a 600+ KM journey on foot and alone through some extremely hazardous territory that few people have ever traversed. Cuz that's the kind of thing you do at the drop of a hat.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Tenzarin posted:

That makes me scared about perks.
In what way?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I can understand wanting to put in cameos as fan service but just pulling a character from one game and dropping them in another with no pretext is just lazy. People were legitimately sad when it was announced that Three Dog would not be coming back; the only time I ever heard any of his inane banter was when I walked past a radio that was tuned to GNR and I honestly don't know how he generated such a fan based with what was probably less than 3 minutes of vapid blathering through the whole game.

I remains to be seen if bossy pants Madison Li ever turns up in Boston since her closing video mentioned she got fed up of all the shenanigans in DC and decided to make a 600+ KM journey on foot and alone through some extremely hazardous territory that few people have ever traversed. Cuz that's the kind of thing you do at the drop of a hat.

3dog: The vault dweller killed a bunch of bandits today, threee dooooooooog is out of here, galaxy news radio and fighing the good fight

Exact same song on repeat you have heard it 1000 times

3dog: The vault dweller killed a bunch of bandits today, threee dooooooooog is out of here, galaxy news radio and fighing the good fight

Exact same song on repeat you have heard it 1001 times

Exact same song on repeat you have heard it 1002 times

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 17, 2015

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, that would get me walking the 600+ KM to Boston too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*let a bunch of Ghouls into Tenpenny tower, they slaughter everyone inside*

Threedog: THOSE GHOULS WERE FINALLY LET INTO TENPENNY TOWER BY THE VAULT DWELLER WHO IS CURRENTLY TAKING A PISS OFF THE TURNPIKE AND THEY KILLED EVERYONE, THANKS VAULT rear end in a top hat

*reload, kill the Ghouls instead*

Threedog: THOSE INNOCENT GHOULS WERE SLAUGHTERED BY THE VAULT DWELLER WHO IS CURRENTLY FIDDLING WITH A LOCKED SAFE BY THE LINCOLN MEMORIAL, THANKS VAULT rear end in a top hat

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Never trust a ghoul, backstabbing sons of bitches (gently caress you Set)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yes, I felt bad when I went through the trouble of getting everyone to give the ghouls a chance and expected it to have the standard Disney Happily-Ever-After ending most of these quests have, only to come back and find everyone dead and Roy and his crew in charge. The ghoul mask you get is pretty bitchin' and makes places like the Dunwich Building a breeze but ever since that play through I've always snuck up Roy and stuffed a grenade in his pants. Then I begrudgingly kill the others back in the subway station because there's no use in leaving a quest have done.

Then Three Dog can't make up his mind about me and then for the rest of the game cannot seem to get over the fact that I killed a bunch of ghouls but am also the Savior of the Wasteland. If you kill him, you get someone even more useless manning the station but at least she doesn't have some creepy fixation on your every move. I don't remember if killing him angers the BoS or not though.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
around ghouls never agrhoul

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Graevling posted:

around ghouls never agrhoul

Is this a INT 1-2 quote from FO 1 or 2?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best thing about Three Dog was how hilariously stitched together his broadcasts are.

"Woooo Wastelanders, here an update on the HITLER OF THE WASTES! So guys, I just met the kid from Vault 101 and he misses his dad, aww. If you see him guys, give him a pat on the back for me. AND NOW SOME MUSIC!"

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I refuse to fix that rear end in a top hat's dish.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Three dog was popular because he was voiced so Bethesda made the main character voiced. :tinfoil:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
3 dog owned because he's a radio host I could kill.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm an IRL INT 3 guy and pre-ordered through CDKeys with season pass for $65.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Nasgate posted:

3 dog owned because he's a radio host I could kill.

If you didn't do a cannibal run through New Vegas and eat enough famous NPCs to get the +2 stats perk you absolutely must.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Huh?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

frajaq posted:

Never trust a ghoul, backstabbing sons of bitches (gently caress you Set)
Is Harold a ghoul? I can't remember if he was a ghoul or something special.

I'm sad he is immobile because I'd like to run into him again.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Harold is special.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Installed this FO2 high res mod, is there any way to adjust the HUD scaling so it's not really tiny at high resolutions?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sout posted:

Installed this FO2 high res mod, is there any way to adjust the HUD scaling so it's not really tiny at high resolutions?

Don't run it at native. The hud doesn't scale (afaik) but I wouldn't recommend playing the game that zoomed out anyway. You see a little too much, and the text is tiny. Find some intermediate resolution as a compromise.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

SplitSoul posted:

Hope you enjoy having your key revoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yaos posted:

Hope you enjoy having your key revoked.

Since when?

• Locked thread