Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bedlamdan posted:

Well all I heard was "Holden banned someone over PMs" and I believed it uncritically because apparently the Exalted people apparently can't do anything right

\:shobon:/

That's not fair, they're great at disappointing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

That's not fair, they're great at disappointing people.

That can easily be solved by lowering your expectations, which the world in general is amazing at.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Attorney at Funk posted:

If we want to learn about Exalted, we need look no further than Mage: the Awakening, the game about the war between the petty, entitled, unhinged Exalted fandom and the distant, secretive, and conceited Exalted development team.
By suggesting this alternative reading of Mage, you have become my enemy, and I will oppose you

*slowly unsheathes posting steel*

For the sake of a unified metaplot...!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Frankly I think there's a lot that Gamergate can teach us about Exalted -- and vice versa! Firstly,

That's terror.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Number 2: That's terror.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I just realized today that Hero System 6e clocks in at only 784 pages. Steven S Long has a lot to learn.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bob Page: Exalted 3E will be ready within the week.
Walton Simons: No. In six months.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
All these issues about page referencing is just a long, obvious stalling tactic, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

All these issues about page referencing is just a long, obvious stalling tactic, right?

There's literally no way it isn't. Like, this is a 'problem' that even one dude in his garage printing books wouldn't have.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Bedlamdan posted:

Bob Page: Exalted 3E will be ready within the week.
Walton Simons: No. In six months.

Hold-en running the world.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's literally no way it isn't. Like, this is a 'problem' that even one dude in his garage printing books wouldn't have.

It just confuses me why they obfuscate this stuff so much. It's like they're actively terrified of being honest with their customers. It's just so odd considering how the rest of Onyx Press operates.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Covok posted:

It just confuses me why they obfuscate this stuff so much. It's like they're actively terrified of being honest with their customers. It's just so odd considering how the rest of Onyx Press operates.

The problem is that they have no settings in between "almost completely silent" and "foot so far into mouth it emerges from the rear end".

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Roadie posted:

The problem is that they have no settings in between "almost completely silent" and "foot so far into mouth it emerges from the rear end".

We seemed to like Lea, but Lea also seems tired of us. :smith:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

I just realized today that Hero System 6e clocks in at only 784 pages. Steven S Long has a lot to learn.

He will learn to fear my fists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedlamdan posted:

We seemed to like Lea, but Lea also seems tired of us. :smith:
Really this seems to be the dominant impression I get.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Imagine what the attitude would be like at this point if the leaks hadn't happened and we didn't have that indication that the game itself looks okay and playable.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm pretty sure most of the people who actually wanted to play 3E are, already, playing 3E.

The book's kind of a formality at this point, but it'd still be nice to have.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mistaya posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the people who actually wanted to play 3E are, already, playing 3E.

All I want is a drat index.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm looking at Brawl charms and I saw Fivefold Fury Onslaught and my mind was loving blown. Am I missing some flaw or can you really throw up to 6 attacks that will get progressively stronger? Holy poo poo

Get this: as written, you can use Increasing Strength Exercise to increase the number of attacks you're doing and add +Essence damage to each of those attacks. ISE and the Brawl/Melee attacks are OP on their own but completely broken when combined.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

mistaya posted:

There are still people I know who don't want to play it until the pdf is out.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Athletics is kind of an insane tree because it has a charm that doubles your withering damage, another charm that doubles your decisive damage, and ISE which breaks everything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Roadie posted:

Sounds like they'd fit right in here.

:smith:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's tough bein' a Lunar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-H-kgVn5A

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Thug Lessons posted:

Get this: as written, you can use Increasing Strength Exercise to increase the number of attacks you're doing and add +Essence damage to each of those attacks. ISE and the Brawl/Melee attacks are OP on their own but completely broken when combined.

No, it only adds one die of extra damage. Strength does not apply to decisives, which are the attacks that key off your stats to determine how many you launch.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Nihnoz posted:

I'd also like to say: Somebody send Holden Shearer to Time Jail for warping space and time to fit even loving more charms into this stupid rear end book. What the hell. Seriously. There should be like 120 charms max.

I don't think a huge charmset is a problem in itself but there's a serious problem with the existing charms being unbalanced, poorly designed or just outright boring. If we had 500 pages of charms that were balanced, powerful and interesting it would be fine.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Transient People posted:

No, it only adds one die of extra damage. Strength does not apply to decisives, which are the attacks that key off your stats to determine how many you launch.

Here is the text of the charm, which you didn't read very closely.

quote:

The Solar draws remarkable strength from deep within her core. For every three motes of
Essence or Initiative the Exalt spends, her Strength score increases by one. Each dot of increase
also raises the base damage of her decisive attacks by one. The Solar’s Strength cannot be
increased by more than her Essence rating through use of this Charm, and may not grant her
more than double her Strength score. Through use of Increasing Strength Exercise, Solars can
reach the Strength minimums required to attempt certain feats of strength (p. XX).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Most PC's are going to be like, Essence 1-3, so the bonus to decisive damage is... 1-3? Is that really incredibly broken? :raise:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

mistaya posted:

Most PC's are going to be like, Essence 1-3, so the bonus to decisive damage is... 1-3? Is that really incredibly broken? :raise:

If you use the E3 versions of the Melee and Brawl flurries, that translates to 15 or 18 extra damage dice respectively even if you assume the added strength doesn't translate to extra attacks (the number of attacks the flurries create is dependent on your strength). Additionally with the Melee flurry you can enhance all of those attacks with Thunderbolt Attack Prana so that each success deals 2 damage, and the Brawl flurry comes with a built-in +21 damage dice. This means that you can launch decisive attacks with a potential of 40 damage every single turn.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Thug Lessons posted:

If you use the E3 versions of the Melee and Brawl flurries, that translates to 15 or 18 extra damage dice respectively even if you assume the added strength doesn't translate to extra attacks (the number of attacks the flurries create is dependent on your strength). Additionally with the Melee flurry you can enhance all of those attacks with Thunderbolt Attack Prana so that each success deals 2 damage, and the Brawl flurry comes with a built-in +21 damage dice. This means that you can launch decisive attacks with a potential of 40 damage every single turn.

How many motes is this?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

How many motes is this?

9m for ISE at the start of the fight, 5m 1wp per turn for the Brawl flurry, 9m 2wp per turn for the Melee Flurry + Thunderbolt Attack Prana.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Isn't that more a matter of flurry charms being dumb and broken than ISE?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Thug Lessons posted:

9m for ISE at the start of the fight, 5m 1wp per turn for the Brawl flurry, 9m 2wp per turn for the Melee Flurry + Thunderbolt Attack Prana.

I mean that's a lot of motes at 5m per turn recover when you kind of also need to defend, though you can argue you are killing an enemy at each turn, plus three willpower is a significant amount.

Not that Flurries are okay, especially ones that ignore Hardness and add stacking damage. They even realized this and cut out non-magical ones, but then put crazy good Magical ones in.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 17, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think either of them are bad on their own, (though the Brawl Flurry needs a nerf because jesus christ +21 damage dice for free), but it's the interplay that makes them insane. ISE is still pretty strong because it's 9m/9i for +3 damage on every single attack you make for the rest of the scene.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think either of them are bad on their own, (though the Brawl Flurry needs a nerf because jesus christ +21 damage dice for free), but it's the interplay that makes them insane. ISE is still pretty strong because it's 9m/9i for +3 damage on every single attack you make for the rest of the scene.

Also a Simple activation, which means a full turn spent doing nothing but hulking out. That's really the biggest cost.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mean that's a lot of motes at 5m per turn recover when you kind of also need to defend, though you can argue you are killing an enemy at each turn, plus three willpower is a significant amount.

Not that Flurries are okay, especially ones that ignore Hardness and add stacking damage. They even realized this and cut out non-magical ones, but then put crazy good Magical ones in.

You don't have to spend 3wp, you spend 1wp for the Brawl flurry and 2wp for the Melee flurry + TAP. You can also forgo TAP and just spend 1wp and still be attacking from base init with a potential of 23 damage dice. Really the only reason not to do it is, like you say, Hardness.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Also a Simple activation, which means a full turn spent doing nothing but hulking out. That's really the biggest cost.

Yeah that's also a big factor, though if you're a Melee guy you can just use Peony Blossom Technique and attack anyway. It's actually probably the best use of that charm in the whole game because often using Peony to attack twice isn't that great as you're just frontloading the mote cost and outpacing your regen massively.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also, like, sometimes you know a fight is coming and can just use Increasing Strength Exercise ahead of time.

Frankly I don't think any "spend an action instantiating this scenelong buff" Charms should've remained at all.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

Also, like, sometimes you know a fight is coming and can just use Increasing Strength Exercise ahead of time.

Frankly I don't think any "spend an action instantiating this scenelong buff" Charms should've remained at all.

I wouldn't allow that first part. When the fight starts a new scene begins, unless it's like a scenario where you use ISE to lift the heavy rock and there's a tyrant lizard under it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't think that's how it's supposed to work - nothing in the description of "Join Battle" suggest that it always or even usually starts a new, formal scene and the difference between having a few moments of prep or being surprised and being forced to defend yourself immediately has always been a major one in past editions of the game. I don't see any reason to assume that you can't turn on Increasing Strength Exercise or Snake Form or whatever a few seconds before the door in front of you finally breaks off its hinges, or before you jump down from a roof into the middle of the enemy formation, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work based on the rules but I think allowing characters to stack an unlimited number of Simple, scene-length charms before battle is a bad idea. If there's a good IC reason I'd allow it but if you're just going to let people walk around in Fivefold Bulwark Stance in case a fight breaks out, you might as well just get rid of scene-length charms entirely and make them all indefinite.

• Locked thread