Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Libluini posted:

Keldoclock is one of those people who, if real life were like a video game, would have put all his points at character-generation into the "Obnoxiousness"-stat.

I must be cheating because on the android awful app you can make it so that ignored posts don't even show up as " this jerk" placeholders. The only reason I know any of the shitheads on my list are even making GBS threads up a thread is when people quote them or talk about them. And sure, people can argue about ignoring potentially valuable contributions to a discussion but on the other hand keldoclock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Back on subject, ROCKET ARTILLERY.

Makes a much cooler noise than conventional artillery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjN9Q6YdEDc

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SeanBeansShako posted:

Back on subject, ROCKET ARTILLERY.

The "wargame" franchise would have me believe that it's not very good, as it's scarier than regular artillery but not concentrated enough to do any real damage.

This strikes me as probably bullshit for the sake of game balance. Is it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Splode posted:

The "wargame" franchise would have me believe that it's not very good, as it's scarier than regular artillery but not concentrated enough to do any real damage.

Wargame seems to regard artillery as a thing you use to let the enemy know where your FOB is located so they can send planes after it TBH. Artillery is woefully under-performing there even against infantry in the open.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Splode posted:

A Soviet M-31 brigade covered an area of 1200x1000 m with 1152 rockets per salvo, or roughly one rocket per 32 meter by 32 meter square. The safe distance for infantry from a rocket hit was 400 meters.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

You do realize none of these things existed in WW1, right? And the A-H wasn't even issuing cold-weather clothes or enough food?

Oh wait you're dumb as a post about this, too, just like you were earlier in the thread. Please stop posting.

I actually found this post to be a bit informative in a general sense? Sure it doesn't have a direct link to WW1, but it does serve to educate on how weapons require special treatment/design in cold weather conditions.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Ensign Expendable posted:

A Soviet M-31 brigade covered an area of 1200x1000 m with 1152 rockets per salvo, or roughly one rocket per 32 meter by 32 meter square. The safe distance for infantry from a rocket hit was 400 meters.

Wow. This is fascinating! I would love to hear more about artillery in general, as well as the training and development of artillery technique and artillerymen (is this a word?) Studying math myself, I've always figured if I were an old-time soldier I would end up in artillery.

P.s: I really appreciate the contributions that ensign e, hey gal, etc. make in the history threads. Its reinvigorated my love for history.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Officers and NCOs in Soviet penal units were paid normally, those sent there as punishment served as privates and earned a private's pay with no bonuses they were preciously entitled to. Upon completion of their punishment, their rank and payment were restored.

Edit: on the phone and can't look it up, but the officers may have been paid triple. I remember that the time served in a penal unit willingly counted for triple when it came to promotions and stuff, but I can't remember if the same applied to pay

From my copy of "Penalty Strike" by Alexander Pyl'cyn who was a normal officer in a Penalty Battalion . From memory I recall mention (That I can't find unfortunately) that the shtrafniks considered themselves to be "2/3rds of a Guardsmen" as that's how much pay they received. Mind you this was for a Penalty Battalion which would be comprised of penal officers, not enlisted, which might be different. Also, the author's unit spent most of his time fighting under Rokossovski's command, which might have also modified things somewhat.

There's also a funny moment when some officer is cussing out Alexander and threatens to send him to a penalty unit. He just starts laughing and pulls out his ID card with his unit on it and walks off.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Xerxes17 posted:

I actually found this post to be a bit informative in a general sense

I think there's a great value to broad knowledge- having the field painted in broad strokes lets you know where to look when you need something more specific. At least one poster in this forum hunts elk in Alaska and at least two design firearms, so there's practical value if they lurk this thread. Also, there are at least a handful of historical accounts of soldiers leaving their weapons outside their tents when camping in the Arctic, and I know if I were reading those accounts and hadn't thought of it, I'd be wondering why.

Update: Keldoclock posts in GBS, GBS now also mad about Keldoclock.

Haters: Gotta catch 'em all!

Eela6 posted:

is this a word?

Yes. I guess the history of artillery starts somewhere like 500BC, with cannons appearing like, early 1200s and gunpowder bombs launched out of cannons as intermediary. You probably won't find very detailed, consistent accounts persisting over years of use until the Napoleonic Wars. I don't know much about pre-20th century artillery, but I know a little bit about fire control computers. Which are related to the other discussion;

Both the Colossus and Z3 are/were computers with very limited functionality. However, as any computer scientist, code monkey or poor bastard who has ever had to look at a pbx, elevator, wearable, covert listening device etc knows, with sufficient sacrifice of speed you can implement complex functions from simpler ones in stupid, inelegant and expensive ways.
The Z3 was demonstrated to be Turing-complete, in sense, the same as the computer you are using now in terms of possible operations, in 1998 by Raul Rojas, by extending its functionality via the linked horrible hack.

Although it is behind a paywall, there is also a similar proof for extending complete functionality from Colossus.

So, Libluini, both the Colossus and Z3 are programmable computers as we understand them today, at least by formal proof- in actuality they were both specialized tools that were really only good at doing one task, like, say, your printer. Your printer could run any program the computer you're posting with can, if you are willing to sit there and slowly lose your sanity long enough to get it to work. However, you are absolutely correct that the Z3 predates the Colossus. I explain my thought process thusly:

:doh:

Ultimately there are surely more contenders for the title of "first computer", and just like "first lightbulb" "first domesticated plant" "first automobile" "first crossbow", we will probably never know. It seems that tools just manifest themselves into reality when the wills of their creators demand it, and people are far too much alike for there to really be a first example- even if we know for a fact that a given object is the first one, we certainly can't track down the concepts.

Edit:
Wow, and I can buy it new for $4000 from a shady Beijing motorcycle shop with a website from the 1990s? Wicked!

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 17, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xerxes17 posted:

From my copy of "Penalty Strike" by Alexander Pyl'cyn who was a normal officer in a Penalty Battalion . From memory I recall mention (That I can't find unfortunately) that the shtrafniks considered themselves to be "2/3rds of a Guardsmen" as that's how much pay they received. Mind you this was for a Penalty Battalion which would be comprised of penal officers, not enlisted, which might be different. Also, the author's unit spent most of his time fighting under Rokossovski's command, which might have also modified things somewhat.

There's also a funny moment when some officer is cussing out Alexander and threatens to send him to a penalty unit. He just starts laughing and pulls out his ID card with his unit on it and walks off.

Ah, guess not then. Guards officers made 1.5 times as much as regular units.

Eela6 posted:

Wow. This is fascinating! I would love to hear more about artillery in general, as well as the training and development of artillery technique and artillerymen (is this a word?) Studying math myself, I've always figured if I were an old-time soldier I would end up in artillery.

P.s: I really appreciate the contributions that ensign e, hey gal, etc. make in the history threads. Its reinvigorated my love for history.

Then boy, do I have some numbers for you:
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2013/08/artillery-and-high-explosives.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2015/06/m-8-16-rocket-launcher.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2015/03/tiger-ii-trials-gunnery.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2015/02/valentine-mkix-trials.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2014/12/rocket-bike.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2014/01/ml-20-artillery-tables.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2013/08/d-25t-artillery-tables.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2013/07/ballistic-tables-of-88-cm-l71-kwk-43.html
http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2013/05/accuracy-revisited.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Wargame seems to regard artillery as a thing you use to let the enemy know where your FOB is located so they can send planes after it TBH. Artillery is woefully under-performing there even against infantry in the open.

Every game, both table top and video, seems to regard artillery as something you do to irritate and discombobulate the enemy in preparation for killing them all with your troops. But every game is also built on the premise that destroying enemy troops = winning so if arty was as effective as it is IRL there would be no fun games.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
At least wargame includes the oft-missing smoke shell for artillery.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Then boy, do I have some numbers for you:

This is great stuff. I find the differences between the German and Soviet methodology w/r/t, say, accuracy statistics fascinating. In the stuff you've linked here, the Soviets seem far more interested in not just when shots miss, but °how° and where. That's real thinking. Are these kinds of differences in thought process about statistics, data, and mathematics representative in general?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Slavvy posted:

Every game, both table top and video, seems to regard artillery as something you do to irritate and discombobulate the enemy in preparation for killing them all with your troops. But every game is also built on the premise that destroying enemy troops = winning so if arty was as effective as it is IRL there would be no fun games.

Wargame Airland Battle treated arty like this and they took a step in the lethal direction for Red Dragon. While it was great for knocking down OP mens in houses, great artillery almost always leads to very static gameplay since it's as punishing to clusters of attacking troops as is it to defenders. It's such a hard thing to really balance well, for a video game especially when you factor in all the different kinds like mortars, tubes and rockets. Artillery sucks.

It's pretty hard to explain to some people just how lethal modern artillery/air power is because it's hard to even put in perspective for them. In reality, modern rocket artillery is loving terrifying because they can carry very scary payloads a very long and accurate way. When people get in conversations about modern war I just try to emphasize how loving scary it is with those examples where the Israelis double tapped those Gaza buildings to alert the occupants, and then make them disappear. Air power, but still a good example.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 17, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a good source to read about the war in Syria and Iraq from a military science perspective?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Mazz posted:

It's pretty hard to explain to some people just how lethal modern artillery/air power is because it's hard to even put in perspective for them.

Is it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_qJm3HrjWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vF-WvIL82Q

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

a good post, now use this as a template for when you post again.

Oh you made a mistake here where you accidentally typed some words, watch out for mistakes like this in the future

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
stop bagging on keldoclock unless he actually says something dumb

Eela6 posted:

thank you!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

A very drunk zoo in all likelihood.

I'll host the AA squad, then.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Keldoclock posted:

Both the Colossus and Z3 are/were computers with very limited functionality. However, as any computer scientist, code monkey or poor bastard who has ever had to look at a pbx, elevator, wearable, covert listening device etc knows, with sufficient sacrifice of speed you can implement complex functions from simpler ones in stupid, inelegant and expensive ways.
The Z3 was demonstrated to be Turing-complete, in sense, the same as the computer you are using now in terms of possible operations, in 1998 by Raul Rojas, by extending its functionality via the linked horrible hack.

Although it is behind a paywall, there is also a similar proof for extending complete functionality from Colossus.

So, Libluini, both the Colossus and Z3 are programmable computers as we understand them today, at least by formal proof- in actuality they were both specialized tools that were really only good at doing one task, like, say, your printer. Your printer could run any program the computer you're posting with can, if you are willing to sit there and slowly lose your sanity long enough to get it to work. However, you are absolutely correct that the Z3 predates the Colossus. I explain my thought process thusly:

:doh:

Ultimately there are surely more contenders for the title of "first computer", and just like "first lightbulb" "first domesticated plant" "first automobile" "first crossbow", we will probably never know. It seems that tools just manifest themselves into reality when the wills of their creators demand it, and people are far too much alike for there to really be a first example- even if we know for a fact that a given object is the first one, we certainly can't track down the concepts.

Wikipedia is poo poo, news at eleven

Also you are totally wrong about the Z3. The Z3 had no specialized task, it was a programmable digital computer which could do whatever you programmed it to do. The Colossus only could decrypt things and you indeed would need to do a lot of wrangling with the thing to make it do anything else.

In the most simple terms possible: The Colossus was like a printer. Theoretically it could do something else besides it's task, but that would need a lot of effort to do. The Z3 was more like the later home computers in that it wasn't specialized on a single task. If you take the time to learn the weird programming language Konrad Zuse wrote, you could do anything with it a later computer like the C64 could do. Welp, you'd need a better monitor of course but you get the gist. :v:

Your last paragraph is weird and wrong bullshit, so I assume you would have deleted it if you hadn't forgotten to proofread your post and just be nice and ignore it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

By Keldoclock's logic the Hussites are the ones we should thank for their design and conceptual work in developing the first tank, because what are tanks but armoured wagons with people inside shooting at stuff?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

Wargame Airland Battle treated arty like this and they took a step in the lethal direction for Red Dragon. While it was great for knocking down OP mens in houses, great artillery almost always leads to very static gameplay since it's as punishing to clusters of attacking troops as is it to defenders. It's such a hard thing to really balance well, for a video game especially when you factor in all the different kinds like mortars, tubes and rockets. Artillery sucks.

It's pretty hard to explain to some people just how lethal modern artillery/air power is because it's hard to even put in perspective for them. In reality, modern rocket artillery is loving terrifying because they can carry very scary payloads a very long and accurate way. When people get in conversations about modern war I just try to emphasize how loving scary it is with those examples where the Israelis double tapped those Gaza buildings to alert the occupants, and then make them disappear. Air power, but still a good example.

If we had a map with big icons showing exact enemy positions and was placing artillery right where we want it with the click of a mouse, we would scarcely need anything other than artillery in conventional conflict- that's why artillery in games is probably never going to be what it is in real life.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Libluini posted:

Wikipedia is poo poo, news at eleven

Also you are totally wrong about the Z3. The Z3 had no specialized task, it was a programmable digital computer which could do whatever you programmed it to do. The Colossus only could decrypt things and you indeed would need to do a lot of wrangling with the thing to make it do anything else.

In the most simple terms possible: The Colossus was like a printer. Theoretically it could do something else besides it's task, but that would need a lot of effort to do. The Z3 was more like the later home computers in that it wasn't specialized on a single task. If you take the time to learn the weird programming language Konrad Zuse wrote, you could do anything with it a later computer like the C64 could do. Welp, you'd need a better monitor of course but you get the gist. :v:

Your last paragraph is weird and wrong bullshit, so I assume you would have deleted it if you hadn't forgotten to proofread your post and just be nice and ignore it.

The only thing really missing from the Z3 was conditional branching (IF X then Y ELSE Z), so it's not fully equivalent in instruction set to modern programming, but it's been proved that doesn't stop you emulating whatever a C64 could do if you have enough time and memory, just in pratise.

The thing is the Germans never really used it for much, Konrad Zuse only developing it as a aid to civil engineering projects in the first place, and such much of the potential benefit from having such a good machine available to them was lost. It was used for a few things, but not nearly as much as it could be, and Zuse didn't do much of academic note afterwards IIRC.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

This British-French intervention in the battle for Serbia really isn't going very well at all; the Brits insist on guarding Salonika in case somebody tries to steal it, and the French are slogging forward over extremely difficult roads, muttering vague imprecations about how difficult resupply is going to be. The fighting Father Galaup goes in search of his German bayonet and has quite the adventure in No Man's Land, as Louis Barthas's new binoculars get him into trouble. Bernard Adams panders to the Internet, and Sir Ian Hamilton's place in our story comes to its final end.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The reason rocket artillery exists is that people really don't like getting shot at by artillery. One of the lessons from WW1 was that even if you spend an hour shooting at a tiny area there are gonna be some dudes that survived anyway, because as soon as the booming starts, people dive for cover. The first few artillery shells that land are the most effective ones, and that's why having a lot of gun tubes is important - it gets you that big first punch. After the first minute or so of bombardment you're not nearly as effective anymore and you should stop firing for effect and start firing for suppression while your guys get in position for an assault.

It follows that if you want the greatest possible effect you want as many tubes as possible. However, artillery pieces are expensive and massing them in one place is risky, so enter rocket artillery: you get all the boom at once from a single cheap vehicle - a single truck can have the same effect as a whole battalion of conventional tube artillery. Sure, each rocket is more expensive than a single artillery shell, but it also has longer range and it's the gun that's expensive anyway.

The above is also the reason that MRSI and things like the Bandkanon 1 exist - getting all the boom at once.

Sorry if this is too much pointing out the obvious, by the way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is rocket artillery also useful for minimising the effect of counterbattery? Once you've launched your rockets the launcher truck is now much lighter and can quickly gently caress off, and if it does get blown up at least it was much cheaper than tube artillery.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Lone Badger posted:

Is rocket artillery also useful for minimising the effect of counterbattery? Once you've launched your rockets the launcher truck is now much lighter and can quickly gently caress off, and if it does get blown up at least it was much cheaper than tube artillery.

The Soviets were pretty good at shooting and scooting with Katyushas from what I understand.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The Soviets were pretty good at shooting and scooting with Katyushas from what I understand.

There's the great story of the katyusah batteries hiding under the river bank of the Volga in Stalingrad, reversing out of cover to launch then back into cover to reload

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Rabhadh posted:

There's the great story of the katyusah batteries hiding under the river bank of the Volga in Stalingrad, reversing out of cover to launch then back into cover to reload
Also if I'm reading Beevor right, reversing over the bank so the wheels hang off for better elevation to shoot further.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There were also periodic attempts to attach rocket artillery to front-line tanks, particularly during WW2 including the Calliope and Whizbang.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

There were also periodic attempts to attach rocket artillery to front-line tanks, particularly during WW2 including the Calliope and Whizbang.

Don't forget (successful) attempts at attaching them to any vehicle whatsoever.

Renault UE Chenillette with attached German rocket launcher system? Check
Hotchkiss H35 with same as above? Check

and others.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't forget (successful) attempts at attaching them to any vehicle whatsoever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The nazis were desperately low on tanks in the closing months of the war...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I've heard of lions led by donkeys, but this is ridiculous.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

This British-French intervention in the battle for Serbia really isn't going very well at all; the Brits insist on guarding Salonika in case somebody tries to steal it, and the French are slogging forward over extremely difficult roads, muttering vague imprecations about how difficult resupply is going to be. The fighting Father Galaup goes in search of his German bayonet and has quite the adventure in No Man's Land, as Louis Barthas's new binoculars get him into trouble. Bernard Adams panders to the Internet, and Sir Ian Hamilton's place in our story comes to its final end.

Btw i dont know if you spotted this yet but Hamilton became a big fan of Hitler in the interwar years...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the only video anyone needs on artillery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84uzzVynY8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

The only thing really missing from the Z3 was conditional branching (IF X then Y ELSE Z), so it's not fully equivalent in instruction set to modern programming, but it's been proved that doesn't stop you emulating whatever a C64 could do if you have enough time and memory, just in pratise.

The thing is the Germans never really used it for much, Konrad Zuse only developing it as a aid to civil engineering projects in the first place, and such much of the potential benefit from having such a good machine available to them was lost. It was used for a few things, but not nearly as much as it could be, and Zuse didn't do much of academic note afterwards IIRC.

Actually, he did a lot, like founding his own corporation and developing a shitton of German computers until his death in 1995. I don't want to spam this thread with his extensive life's work though, so you have to go to Wikipedia for it.

Military relevant is only his work for the Henschel HS 293 flying bomb: Konrad Zuse developed with the S1 and the S2 (1942/1943) their onboard-computers. The instruments he developed for the HS 293 were the first analog-digital converters.

Konrad Zuse would probably the most important computer person to know about if either Germany had won the war, the allies hadn't stolen any technology they could get their hands on or if German corporations after the war hadn't made some really boneheaded choices.

But all that stuff did happen, Telefunken collapsed and today only Germans know what the German computer industry is doing/has done. C'est la vie. :shrug:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Abbé Galaup rules.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
More old cannons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytOWmfupUt8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Jumped into the thread with 700 unreads. Skimming I can see cannon chat, a goon who hacks military drones as a hobby, and apparently our very own HEGEL getting harassed by GBS.

I am willing to fetch my pike and rally. I will shoot pistols out the window in their direction. I will knock on their doors, punch their kids in the face, and then run them through with my dagger (then hang for it.) Seriously if she is driven from this forum by creeps and doxxing, I am out.

Animal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 17, 2015

• Locked thread