Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i want azami to get blown away by somas cooking and join the harem

the ultimate tsun character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The tone of the manga hasn't really changed all that much even with Azami's intro. It's always been over the top in most if not every aspect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Compendium posted:

The tone of the manga hasn't really changed all that much even with Azami's intro. It's always been over the top in most if not every aspect.

Well, it went from being very serious about food to child abuse.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, it went from being very serious about food to child abuse.

About 75% of all dads in Shokugeki no Soma are horrible.

See: Nikumi's, Mimasaka's, Soma's

Akira was a literal homeless orphan getting the poo poo kicked out of him by adults, so clearly he had the worst dad - the streets.

This manga has always made occasional hard left turns into dire poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Patware posted:

About 75% of all dads in Shokugeki no Soma are horrible.

See: Nikumi's, Mimasaka's, Soma's

Akira was a literal homeless orphan getting the poo poo kicked out of him by adults, so clearly he had the worst dad - the streets.

This manga has always made occasional hard left turns into dire poo poo.

We know Nikumi's Dad?

Also, Azami is an even worse dad then all of them. Even moreso than the streets, because Hayama seems pretty well adjusted at least.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We know Nikumi's Dad?

We do. We see him from the shoulders-down in flashback when she's chowing down on Soma's don during their shokugeki.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 17, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So I guess this is when Polar Star becomes the headquarters of the Resistance, fighting against the evil Central?

(I don't like the tonal shift either, by the way, but I'm willing to give this manga a pass since it's done lots of good things in the past.)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

KoB posted:

I think the story beat is kinda dumb and forced but I still like the characters :shrug:

The story beat is....actually less dumb than it sounds because Azami is turning it into more of a regular school when you think about it, it just has less classes. I don't think the average grade school expects the participants to make their own dishes or fail out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Here's the new chapter by the way.

Everyone is still totally a sacrificial pawn. Just now all for "central's" sake rather than for whoever has the talent and the will to work their way up from the bottom.

I actually kinda like this thematically. It's getting rid of everyone's individuality and unique skills just to make them facsimiles of the chosen few. What could be more heinous to the development of talented young chefs?
Also, i'm liking bad Dad's evil faces. He's good at them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's an officially coloured version of him on his throne of skulls that I want to get but my phone is slow as hell.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Compendium posted:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nope, no tone whiplash whatsoever.

I did like Hisako going sneaky :coal: in getting clothes to Polar Star.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

Tone shift

you know you love it, don't you loving lie to me

look at that face. LOOK AT IT

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Alacron posted:

I'm imagining you saying that while looking like this.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 17, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
While there is a bit of tone whiplash, it seems pretty standard for what's essentially a battle shonen, but with food. This is the beginning of the new conflict for the arc so the stakes have to be presented with a certain level of seriousness. Once that's established, then the tone can soften back to normal levels. Obviously, next chapter, someone's going to set up a Shokugeki and challenge the dissolution of the Dorm to maintain its existence or Fumio might step up and show her skills.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I think at this point, Soma and some of his friends are gonna get training from the school's alumni/professors so enough can beat the elite 10 to change everything back.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Everyone is still totally a sacrificial pawn. Just now all for "central's" sake rather than for whoever has the talent and the will to work their way up from the bottom.

I actually kinda like this thematically. It's getting rid of everyone's individuality and unique skills just to make them facsimiles of the chosen few. What could be more heinous to the development of talented young chefs?
Also, i'm liking bad Dad's evil faces. He's good at them.

Oh my stars and garters! He is trying to force his vision of the perfect cook making the perfect gourmet food onto the entire student body of Tootsuki now! Not just on Erina!

On paper, that means everyone will indeed have a higher chance for graduating. In practice, they will all become fascimiles of Azami's vision of the perfect cook, who will only cook food according to what Azami (and the Elite Ten) deems as the proper way.

So yeah, I agree. He's essentially making everyone in Tootsuki into pawns for his ambitions and his vision of the perfect cook (and kicking out everyone who doesn't conform to his views), in order to force his view onto the entire food world. The end result would be that his word on what is good food ends up being the law.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Alacron posted:

Those glasses are stylish as gently caress though. :swoon:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Man, the art is so loving good in this series.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What's nice about this dude being all cartoonishly evil and taking out the dorm and societies and such is that it means he'll probably just be a short-term villain and not stick around for the long run.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alacron posted:

Please someone tell me that the manga is doing well enough to guarantee a 2nd season. I can't wait for Sugita to channel his oily-smug voice through this fantastic rear end in a top hat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Nope, no tone whiplash whatsoever.

Alacron posted:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Azami's plan isn't bad. Meritocracies are terrible.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm thinking that they're going to have to find a happy medium where they allow the individuality of the students flow creatively again like before, but with a lesser expulsion rate.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So, is this gonna end with Azami getting replaced? Or is there going to be a redemption arc where he learns to appreciate different culinary styles embraces the power of nudity?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

You're right; thinking IS hard. Let's bake cookies instead. :rolleyes:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 17, 2015

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Alacron posted:

So, is this gonna end with Azami getting replaced? Or is there going to be a redemption arc where he learns to appreciate different culinary styles embraces the power of nudity?

Azami's foodgasm reaction will be him opening his eyes wide. Calling it now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Neo_Crimson posted:

Early on it was mentioned that even being in Tootsuki at all was good for your resume, so it still works out even for people who fell behind.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Imagine if this was an art school

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ahahaha this arc is so dumb i love it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our cuisine and our chefs, the sustenance of our dishes and the purity of our food, the freedom and independence of Tootstuki, so that our people may mature for the fulfilment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe. Every thought and every idea, every doctrine and all knowledge, must serve this purpose. And everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

What's nice about this dude being all cartoonishly evil and taking out the dorm and societies and such is that it means he'll probably just be a short-term villain and not stick around for the long run.

I don't know if he's going to be short-term necessarily, but I can't see him being in charge of Tootsuki for too long. Since his whole plan kinda gets rid of any of the characters actually being able to improve as cooks and all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Neo_Crimson posted:

Aristocracies are much much worse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uh, exactly where are they going to get replacements for the current elite 10 after they graduate, then?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

paragon1 posted:

Aristocracies are much much worse.

They tend to be the same thing in practice.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Uh, exactly where are they going to get replacements for the current elite 10 after they graduate, then?

azami would probably elect the students he personally feels best exemplify gourmet cooking.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our cuisine and our chefs, the sustenance of our dishes and the purity of our food, the freedom and independence of Tootstuki, so that our people may mature for the fulfilment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe. Every thought and every idea, every doctrine and all knowledge, must serve this purpose. And everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Elfgames posted:

azami would probably elect the students he personally feels best exemplify gourmet cooking.

Yes, but none of them would have any experience in developing their own dishes and techniques. So, since anyone on the new elite 10 would have to enroll in tootsuki fully trained exactly what is the point of the school? It is actually counterproductive for Azami's goal, since that would result in vast numbers of mediocre graduates and both fewer and less skilled elites.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes, but none of them would have any experience in developing their own dishes and techniques. So, since anyone on the new elite 10 would have to enroll in tootsuki fully trained exactly what is the point of the school? It is actually counterproductive for Azami's goal, since that would result in vast numbers of mediocre graduates and both fewer and less skilled elites.

He'd probably just choose among first years who haven't actually been part of the system yet. It's like the chapter says he divides the school into two groups, if anyone joins that he thinks exemplifies the qualities of a chef they'll probably immediately become part of Central. Nobody not from Central is going to be able to move up.

Of course that means it's going to be a failure of a school, that's why his plan is a loving dumb idea that people should oppose. The only students he cares about improving are the Elite, the purpose of the school is now for the people in Central to continue to hone their skills while everyone else just copies them. Azami doesn't care about producing skilled graduates, all he cares about is making cooking all about those he considers elite. Everyone else is just supposed to copy them because they aren't worthy of being chefs. It's basically him applying all that dumb poo poo he said in his introduction to Tootsuki's curriculum.

And this is represented by him sitting on a mountain of skulls. It's the best. :allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Azami's putting the school on the fast track to irrelevancy.

Neo_Crimson posted:

They tend to be the same thing in practice.

No, you might get aristocracies calling themselves meritocracies, but that doesn't make them the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The basic premise of this setting is that food battles improve cooking skill. Azami's 1000 year food reich fundamentally rejects this idea. Any new members of the elite 10 won't have gotten there via shokugekis, they will probably just be chosen because of their preexisting skill sets which means their talents and experience won't progress as much.

I'm really not sure how much of this will be dramatically declared in front of an audience, whose minds are then blown. Also they probably end up drooling?