Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

TwystNeko posted:

I've pretty much finished the dubstep gun. Yay!

https://goo.gl/photos/1VErRkDPnuu6ce24A

Now that it's done, I didn't realize just how big it was. Sadly, it's too big for me to be able to wear the deadmau5 head. Oh well, ridiculous outfit go!

This popped up in my fb feed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

cool kids inc. posted:

This is incredible and HILARIOUS! Well done! All purple outfit with gold accents and you're set.

That would be great.. if I had time to do that. Con is tonight! :( Purple I can do, though. With big fuzzy slippers.

Also, the next version is going to 100% 3d printed. I already modelled most of it...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

vivisecting posted:

Oh, then I think this is just an issue of me not using the correct key-terms. Also, I wasn't aware that EVA foam has a smooth side as well as a bumpy side -- all the products I saw only showed the bumpy side and I decided I didn't want that. I've already made the blade and I'm pretty happy with it. I cut a rectangle for the dowel/pvc pipe/whatever then I gorilla-glued two pieces together (since the foam board was only a quarter of an inch thick). The knuckle bow is really what worries me... if possible, I'd really like a dome-shape near the blade like so:

This tumblr keeps a masterlist of SU cosplay tutorials. There are a few on there (near the bottom) detailing how to make the sword.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

TwystNeko posted:

That would be great.. if I had time to do that. Con is tonight! :( Purple I can do, though. With big fuzzy slippers.

Also, the next version is going to 100% 3d printed. I already modelled most of it...

How much does that thing weigh? Does it play the music from the game?

Guessing the switches don't move. Still, that's a hell of a build man. Beautiful :). I own the lil one that came with the collector's edition of the game.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
The sliders actually move, and I could have made all the other dials turn too, but I was running out of time.

The stupid thing weighs probably 15 pounds. Waaaaay too heavy. I think if I scale everything down 10%, it would be a little less unwieldy. Once I find one of the many pics taken today, I'll post it. :3:

edit: found this one: https://instagram.com/p/8EvDuZreO_/

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 26, 2015

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Alright so I've been given marching orders - I need to essentially have a full Immortan Joe costume sorted by late November. Seeing as I'm currently in the last 6 weeks of writing my thesis for my Bachelor's degree, and then have exams until mid November, I need to make the call - does anyone have the ability to help out? I would be willing to pay for any help - ideally the only real issue I see is getting the armour built in time as it would need a buck to be built and likely fibre glassed or bondo'd up to give the right profile. Is anyone in Australia here able to help? Even if it's just a case of me building the part and you having a vacuum former?

Thanks in advance! It's something I'd rather spend more time on but I've been put in a bit of a bind heh

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Find someone with a vacuum former and a male anatomical dummy, then just form the armor with clear plastic.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon is around the corner, but I've been pretty bad at remembering to take progress pictures this year. Most of these parts I've worked on since, but I worked on the circlet today.

Circlet:

Boob swirls:

Chest Plate:

Skirt:

Staff:

Hourglass:

What I'm doing:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am new to this. I am making an X-Wing pilot costume, and will need to scratch build a helmet and chest box. I'm not worried about the chest box, but for the helmet after googling around I'm thinking I could probably craft a passable one from pepakura base + resin/bondo?
How ambitious is this? My wife is a paper mache wiz and is already on top of doing all the sewing stuff.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I am new to this. I am making an X-Wing pilot costume, and will need to scratch build a helmet and chest box. I'm not worried about the chest box, but for the helmet after googling around I'm thinking I could probably craft a passable one from pepakura base + resin/bondo?
How ambitious is this? My wife is a paper mache wiz and is already on top of doing all the sewing stuff.

I wonder if the approach I used for my Doom mask would help.

Namely, use a cheap hard hat (<$10 at Home Depot, etc.) as a platform, then mount your resin, bondo, etc. to that. The hard hat gives you an adjustable suspension rig to keep the thing on your head.

I did it to support the frontal weight, so I hacked out the dome. You might keep the dome and then shape/skin it to suit your helmet look.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yeah, I was going to suggest starting with a helmet to alter rather than building the full thing, that's probably what I would do since the specific-looking parts of it would lend themselves pretty well to being added on top of a helmet or cutting away parts of it for the side details.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Good idea. I'm pretty sure if I can find a used motorcycle helmet for under $20 I can cannibalize that with good results. Would fit better too, I think

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Anyone at NYC ComicCon? My daughter wanted to cosplay for the first time so she picked Jane Crocker from Homestuck. Since I was going with her I asked if she wanted me to cosplay also. She got so excited since Jane has a dad. Pretty easy for me to play a dad and making my daughter happy so win-win.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

tomapot posted:

Anyone at NYC ComicCon? My daughter wanted to cosplay for the first time so she picked Jane Crocker from Homestuck. Since I was going with her I asked if she wanted me to cosplay also. She got so excited since Jane has a dad. Pretty easy for me to play a dad and making my daughter happy so win-win.

I don't know much about Homestuck, but family cosplay is always super, super cute. You two look great.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw my first cosplay contest tonight, some amazing craftwork on display. Here's a pic of the winners from each category. Hulkbuster won best in show, that costume was friggin' amazing.

Edit: Sorry for crappy cell phone pics, they do not do them justice.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 11, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If it's the dude I think it is he has a youtube series on the construction of that suit. Last I looked it was up to at least 30 parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStECXjirHY

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

thespaceinvader posted:

If it's the dude I think it is he has a youtube series on the construction of that suit. Last I looked it was up to at least 30 parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStECXjirHY

That's a different dude. His isn't finished yet, and he's also based in the UK.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Fair enough. Still a drat cool series though.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Does anyone know of any good resources for making Jedi robes/cloaks?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have this pattern and I've made a couple cloaks from it and I really like it (because they're pretty easy for beginners or someone with only a moderate amount of sewing experience). Also has jedi robes.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Pattern-5840-Costumes-XS-S-M-LXL/dp/B000MU0MYW

I used the top left for the robe pattern. Only thing I did to change it is change the shape of the hood, cause I don't like a pointy hood. Pretty easy to just round it off when cutting. Oh, and left off the ribbon and tassel detailing.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 12, 2015

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

cloudy posted:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have this pattern and I've made a couple cloaks from it and I really like it (because they're pretty easy for beginners or someone with only a moderate amount of sewing experience). Also has jedi robes.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Pattern-5840-Costumes-XS-S-M-LXL/dp/B000MU0MYW

I used the top left for the robe pattern. Only thing I did to change it is change the shape of the hood, cause I don't like a pointy hood. Pretty easy to just round it off when cutting. Oh, and left off the ribbon and tassel detailing.

Yes. Also the Rebel Alliance group is the name of the Jedi side of the 501rst. Also the RPF is usually a great resource.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
PAX Australia is coming up, time to jump off the procrastination train.

Working on a certain horror icon:

Step 1, weather the clothes. Did this with some sandpaper and some healthy doses of both coffee and tea at different strengths:

Netflix and an offmarket Dremel helped me out on one of the better props:

Still got a few weeks, need to sort out some more weathering, some manky hair, lesions on the bald cap and the finish the blade - FUN!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I'm making a Man-Thing cosplay.

It's actually going to be pretty easy. Get a hunting Ghillie suit, three stuffed fabric "tubes" for the face tendril things.

But I kinda wanna make the eyes light up, and was wondering what'd be the easiest way to do that? They just have to be two red hemispheres I can attach to the suit.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So I'm making a Man-Thing cosplay.

It's actually going to be pretty easy. Get a hunting Ghillie suit, three stuffed fabric "tubes" for the face tendril things.

But I kinda wanna make the eyes light up, and was wondering what'd be the easiest way to do that? They just have to be two red hemispheres I can attach to the suit.

You could squirrel a pair of these into your mask

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-See-Em-LED/dp/B005O0ROMS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_18?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PQ4R6NBAFQC5SVF00JP

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Those look perfect! Might just get two transparent plastic hemispheres and stick one of those in each.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Those look perfect! Might just get two transparent plastic hemispheres and stick one of those in each.

I was about to recommend that. Halloween Horror Nights Orlando used a similar effect in The Forsaken in 2011, to let the actors have giant glowing green eyes.

Just be careful if the lights are too bright, as they can be blinding to the wearer in the dark.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You don't need to mount them where your eye holes would be. Just use black mesh as eye holes and mount them somewhere else on your face

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I use little LED tealights for tons of poo poo like that, too. Super cheap and useful.

I've been quiet lately but I have been working on stuff! Frostmourne is almost assembled and ready for lights and skulls. This stupid thing has taken FOREVER to get into shape but it's really light since it's hollow. The center panel is transluscent but it's taped off in this photo since I was priming it.

The hilt looked rather religious on its own, so I attempted to cast demons out of my husband. Not sure if it worked or not...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

You don't need to mount them where your eye holes would be. Just use black mesh as eye holes and mount them somewhere else on your face

Yeah, I was gonna just have black mesh over my eyes, and mount the lights basically on my forehead. After all, Man-Thing is hardly proportioned like a human.

For the record, this is what I'm starting with as a base.

Just black mesh over the obviously camo parts, little LEDs inside semi-transparent hemispheres, and three tubes of fabric stuffed with foam or whatever to bulk them out.

Voila, Man-Thing.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 14, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lord Frisk posted:

That's the thing, the Forasken had their glowy eyes above the actual eyeholes of the mask. But in the darkness of the haunted house, the glare was enough to completely blind them. It wasn't even that bright relatively speaking (like it didn't hurt your eyes to look at and wasn't a flashlight or anything), but being placed right above their eyeholes meant that in anything darker than standard indoor lighting they saw nothing but black.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Halloween is going to own

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Just be careful if the lights are too bright, as they can be blinding to the wearer in the dark.

The problem in that case is the fact that the lights were green. Due to the structure of our eyes red lights preserve night vision best, while green/blue inhibit night vision the most. I'd bet anything that a red-eyed Forsaken would have had none of those problems.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Plastik posted:

The problem in that case is the fact that the lights were green. Due to the structure of our eyes red lights preserve night vision best, while green/blue inhibit night vision the most. I'd bet anything that a red-eyed Forsaken would have had none of those problems.

Oh is that why I hate cars and trucks with those loving blue headlights? I always feel like I'm blinded by those fuckers.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone gotten experience working with TerraFlex yet? It's Tandy Leather's competitor to Worbla and I just learned about it today when I visited a Tandy for the first time. It's still expensive per sheet but it's much smoother than Worbla.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

Halloween is going to own

Have you worked out which skull mask you are going to use?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Have you worked out which skull mask you are going to use?

Indeed. I went with a Terminator airsoft/paintball mask, that arrived like this:

Some appliance paint, a Future Wash, and drybrushing yielded this:

Here's another shot with my initial effort on the cloak (which I have changed a bit)

That version looks too tight around the face, so I've redone the hood, replaced the ties with a clasp and fabbed up a "scarf" to cover the neck once the hood is in place.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! I've always wanted to make one with this skull : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DBOVVA

but I dig the terminator effects on that mask. Makes it look kinda like armor as well as the skull motif.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tamir Lenk posted:

Here's another shot with my initial effort on the cloak (which I have changed a bit)

That version looks too tight around the face, so I've redone the hood, replaced the ties with a clasp and fabbed up a "scarf" to cover the neck once the hood is in place.

That looks cool and I really like the shield.

If it were me, I would take a little more white paint and try and obscure the black curved line going around the top of the skull, and do a little black dry brush around the cheeks/teeth. But that's just my 2 cents.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CzarChasm posted:

That looks cool and I really like the shield.

If it were me, I would take a little more white paint and try and obscure the black curved line going around the top of the skull, and do a little black dry brush around the cheeks/teeth. But that's just my 2 cents.

I actually agree. The line above the eyes looks like eyebrows to me. I'd fill it in and paint over it. As for the cheeks, I could see it going either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice a few weeks/pages ago. I was not entirely happy with my niece's costume, but she was recognizable and, more importantly, she loving loved it and that's all that matters or whatever. Her mother is a seamstress but was busy with other costumes for the convention (you know, the kind that pay the bills), so I bought a flower girl dress from Value Village and we altered it.

For the sword, I really wanted that dome shape for the knuckle bow, but everything I tried looked like poo poo so I just went with the shape someone suggested to me. The pommel I made out of model magic and like 50 layers of modge podge followed by 20 layers of paint (for some reason I bought in brown. why.) and then a dozen more layers of modge podge. If I were to make this again, I would pay more attention to the colours and dimensions and also I would make the blade out of foam and not foam board. I used foam board in an effort to save money, because I already had foam board, but then I had to go buy a bunch of poo poo to make the foam board look half decent. STUPID. It's poo poo and there are a lot of mistakes, but goddamnit, I made it myself and I'm actually really proud of that.

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 18, 2015